Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options
    Not one seems to have imagined the very real possibility that SCP won't be offered a new contract. Players are one thing, but his contract expires in July too, and it seems ominous to me that he's yet to be offered a new one.
  • Options
    its probably the one reason solly aint gone anywhere a host of clubs know he gets better and first team football then get him for nowt in a yr

I don't care who we aint signed but the fact that the mgmt. of the club think it is a wise o[ption to allow all the players contracts run so low is disgusting and an outrage
  • Options

Perhaps there will be a repeat of last season where we sign a striker like Fuller later on (once Sky money arrives) I see no reason to panic over the first few fixtures - question is will we play 4-5-1 or try Piggott up front with Kermorgant.
    Given the form of the last 8 games of last season perhaps people should be a little more positive seeing as the only player missing is Obika...
    For that reason, maybe we sign 0 or 1 striker before end August - let's see shall we

Not much of a question. If CP had any intention of giving Pigott a starting debut up front in an away Championship match, it seems inconceivable to me he wouldn't have started him in a 4-4-2 yesterday. Apart from whether it's right for the team, there is the question of whether it's right for the player. That's no criticism of Pigott whatsoever. He'll likely be on the bench and if required I hope he comes on and does well.

At present we've lost Fuller as well as Obika from the run-in. Clearly we are likely to need more senior pros for a full season than we needed for the last eight games, though, if only because we will pick up injuries. We will need to sign at least two experienced strikers, even if Pigott (or Smith) steps up. If we don't there are likely to be consequences.
    Agreed we will need more that the current first team squad for the whole season. My point is can we get by for the first few matches with the players who finished so well given that the only key player "missing" is Obika.

By the time we get to September there will be more strikers available - on loan and out of contract - p'raps there are possibilities lined up already - p'raps there are senior players in the Premier League who are winding down their contracts and both club and player would welcome a change of scene - I was fortunate to talk to Mark Kinsella at the Trust launch last Christmas and he told me there are some seriously pissed off senior players whom he knows very well.

Not saying I am ITK just that the only plausible (sane) interpretation of the current situation is that the board are biding their time - the question for me is who might sign and when. As per the Trusts commentry on Charlton finances and the impact of FFP, it has become a buyer's market this season.

So we can panic now or we can be patient... but to panic and also assume that the lack of transfer activity is an attempt to destroy value, undermine the management and generally negate ALL of the efforts of the last 24 months doesn't make sense to me.

So I will keep an eye out for who misses the cut with Premier League squads, not because I know anything but I prefer the optimistic glass half full approach :)

• Options
    That's if Powell is "allowed" to sign ????
  • Options
    In CP we trust. Have faith brethren.
  • Options
    Even our board aren't that dumb SHG - CP will be in the market within the next month but the issue is whether a downward spiral will have started and whether it can be easily be arrested!
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Even our board aren't that dumb SHG - CP will be in the market within the next month but the issue is whether a downward spiral will have started and whether it can be easily be arrested!

It was Powell I was quoting !

• Options
    According to a friend this morning who is an associate of sorts of TJ we will be "doing nothing" in the transfer market other than a couple of loans in due course. Take that as you will. Not claiming to be ITK in any way, simply passing on what I have been told
  • Options
    Makes sense. It looks like our budget will be used on loans.
  • Options

According to a friend this morning who is an associate of sorts of TJ we will be "doing nothing" in the transfer market other than a couple of loans in due course. Take that as you will. Not claiming to be ITK in any way, simply passing on what I have been told

you are right I have said it since end of may beginning of June, that we will not sign anyone unless they are free and we will sign players on loan but not until the prem squads of 25 have been announced

• Sponsored links:

• Options

you are right I have said it since end of may beginning of June, that we will not sign anyone unless they are free and we will sign players on loan but not until the prem squads of 25 have been announced

Do you know when that is - I reckon we'll be ok for B'mouth as we'd only play one upfront there anyway but will start to really need more players shortly afterwards.
  • Options
    the latest rumour is Obika going to Swindon,the Spurs don't like to send loan players back to the club he was loaned to,they like to move them about.
  • Options
    doronron said:

the latest rumour is Obika going to Swindon,the Spurs don't like to send loan players back to the club he was loaned to,they like to move them about.

Not saying that's not true but Obika would get better experience in the Championship than with Swindon. Spurs will know that too.

• Options
    So Ricci don't lose our number ;-))
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

So Ricci don't lose our number ;-))

A closet Steely Dan fan.

• Options
    se9addick said:

Do you know when that is - I reckon we'll be ok for B'mouth as we'd only play one upfront there anyway but will start to really need more players shortly afterwards.

I am unsure I thought it was aroud the beginning of august

• Options
    thing is have you heard that strange noise? Well that is the sound of a barrel and we are scraping the bottom of it. I like the optimism about loans from the PL. if a player is available there are plenty of Championship clubs who can and will make a greater contribution to wages than we are able too. Any players knocking about in September without a contract are unlikely to be any good (Yann an exception) and IF we had any lined up then why would we be bothering with the likes of McGurk? If he is the best we are going to get then fine I'll give the lad a chance and get behind him. If he turns out to be poor then it isn't his fault we signed him but TJ's and I'm sure that will be duly noted by all.

If things go tits up early on then most fans will be thinking, rightly, my season ticket went up by 30% and we trimmed the high earners from the wage bill so what the hell is going on? And who can blame them.
  • Options
    sorry NLA but how can the PL announce there 25 man squads at the beginning of August when the window doesn't close until the 31st?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Do the PL team not give a provisional list for their 25 man squad but then have to submit a final 25 man squad at the end of August?

I may be wrong but this is what I think happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

AddickBen said:

Squad numbers released later!

Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extrad, just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.
    Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
    The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.

They have been released and no.9 and 10 haven't been given to anyone.... Seems Powell is looking to buy at least 2 senior strikers
    Powell wont be buying anyone - we haven't got any money !!!!

as for squad numbers - it doesn't mean a thing that 9 and 10 are spare. It is usual for any players coming in to take a vacant shirt number - 9 &10 happen to be vacant as both Haynes & BWP have left - otherwise Kermy could have taken one of them and given up his no. 18 or whatever no. he has.

And to say there is no need to panic because we have Kermy and Fuller might sign (and he might not) plus we have the youth.............JESUS. We have a week to go before the start of the season & we have just ONE recognised striker. Even if Fuller did join, and maybe even Church too, that is not enough to stay up. Fuller can't play a whole season and rarely finished a match last season. Church's record is hardly awe inspiring & so if Yann got injured you want to then leave it up to them an a couple of youth team players with no Championship experience at all.

As Blackadder used to say.............rhymes with clucking bell !!
    Bwp scored what, 1 goal last season? Then was dropped and then loaned out.

Haynes scored 7 and spent more time in the treatment room than the physios.

Not sure losing them is the massive drama you make out.

If we get church and one other then they don't have to pull up any trees to Match the record of the strikers that left.

this this and more this

Of course we need another two strikers in. Without that we'll be in trouble. People are quite rightly focussing on the lack of strikers but that deflects attention from the importance last season of Johnnie Jackson. Without his goal return which was phenomenal we would have been in bother. Our strike force last season wasn't individually prolific enough and that needs to be addressed. Yann isn't a 20 goal man and nor will Fuller or Church be if they do sign. It's JJ that needs wrapping in cotton wool. I would hate to see Solly leave because he's a real gem but I am starting to believe that providing any resources his sale might generate we're ploughed back into the team then I think we should seriously consider selling. We do need a quality goal scorer and we do need a younger playmaker. If the price of that is CS leaving then I think it's a possible consideration. We are close but yet a million miles from a playoff spot.

doronron said:

I might be wrong but didn't obika have 3seperated loan spells at Yeovil?
  • Options
    i was guessing mate , so its the end of august atleast I wont have to log on here everyday until then to check
  • Options
    edited July 2013

AddickBen said:

Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extrad, just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.
    Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
    The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.

They have been released and no.9 and 10 haven't been given to anyone.... Seems Powell is looking to buy at least 2 senior strikers

as for squad numbers - it doesn't mean a thing that 9 and 10 are spare. It is usual for any players coming in to take a vacant shirt number - 9 &10 happen to be vacant as both Haynes & BWP have left - otherwise Kermy could have taken one of them and given up his no. 18 or whatever no. he has.

And to say there is no need to panic because we have Kermy and Fuller might sign (and he might not) plus we have the youth.............JESUS. We have a week to go before the start of the season & we have just ONE recognised striker. Even if Fuller did join, and maybe even Church too, that is not enough to stay up. Fuller can't play a whole season and rarely finished a match last season. Church's record is hardly awe inspiring & so if Yann got injured you want to then leave it up to them an a couple of youth team players with no Championship experience at all.

If we get church and one other then they don't have to pull up any trees to Match the record of the strikers that left.

this this and more this

Of course we need another two strikers in. Without that we'll be in trouble. People are quite rightly focussing on the lack of strikers but that deflects attention from the importance last season of Johnnie Jackson. Without his goal return which was phenomenal we would have been in bother. Our strike force last season wasn't individually prolific enough and that needs to be addressed. Yann isn't a 20 goal man and nor will Fuller or Church be if they do sign. It's JJ that needs wrapping in cotton wool. I would hate to see Solly leave because he's a real gem but I am starting to believe that providing any resources his sale might generate we're ploughed back into the team then I think we should seriously consider selling. We do need a quality goal scorer and we do need a younger playmaker. If the price of that is CS leaving then I think it's a possible consideration. We are close but yet a million miles from a playoff spot.

Yes. May I take you back to Andy Jones and Lennie Lawrence, circa 1985? Jones had scored 30 goals for Rhyl in each of two seasons in the Northern Prem, then another 30 in each of two seasons at Port Vale. What's not to like? Lennie bought him for big money; Jones pitched up and said to the papers: "I'm using Charlton as a stepping-stone to get to West Ham." Lennie took umbrage at this disloyalty, and banished him to the reserves. Bad management - I would have said: 'OK, prove it - score thirty for us for two seasons, then you can go to Man United.' It was Leaburn who almost got us relegated. I think we have missed a good scorer in Coulibaly: he is strong, quick, instinctive, experienced and dangerous; he would worry the living daylights out of the Huddersfield defenders. Why did we let him go? Chrissy Powell said Coulibaly has got "85 agents" and it was impossible to communicate with anyone. May I take you back to Andy Jones? Fuck the other 84 agents; talk to the one who matters - buy Coulibaly, wind him up, and let him score.
  • Options
    Why don't we sign Akinfenwa?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Andy Jones was a gamble , he was signed, he did play and was pony
    I'd never heard that Andy Jones had said that
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    If Coulibaly had "85 agents" then how we're Lens able to sign him up in a couple of days?
  • Options
    I demand goals.
  • Options

AddickBen said:

this this and more this

Yes. May I take you back to Andy Jones and Lennie Lawrence, circa 1985? Jones had scored 30 goals for Rhyl in each of two seasons in the Northern Prem, then another 30 in each of two seasons at Port Vale. What's not to like? Lennie bought him for big money; Jones pitched up and said to the papers: "I'm using Charlton as a stepping-stone to get to West Ham." Lennie took umbrage at this disloyalty, and banished him to the reserves. Bad management - I would have said: 'OK, prove it - score thirty for us for two seasons, then you can go to Man United.' It was Leaburn who almost got us relegated. I think we have missed a good scorer in Coulibaly: he is strong, quick, instinctive, experienced and dangerous; he would worry the living daylights out of the Huddersfield defenders. Why did we let him go? Chrissy Powell said Coulibaly has got "85 agents" and it was impossible to communicate with anyone. May I take you back to Andy Jones? Fuck the other 84 agents; talk to the one who matters - buy Coulibaly, wind him up, and let him score.

I actually think it was Paul Williams who talked about wanting to play for West Ham not Andy Jones.

I remember being quite excited when we signed Jonah as he was Wales's third choice striker behind Mark Hughes and Ian Rush,naively I expected him to be of a similar quality.But this of course is the land of our fathers constant problem,they seem to produce a couple of world class players in each generation and supplement them with League One stalwarts.

For what its worth I didn't think Jones was as bad as some have said.According to Wiki he scored 15 goals in 66 games almost exclusively in the top flight,which isn't bad when you consider many of his appearances came from the bench as his period playing for us also coincided with 2 substitutes being allowed for the first time.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Richard J said:

AddickBen said:

this this and more this

I actually think it was Paul Williams who talked about wanting to play for West Ham not Andy Jones.

It was Williams, although I'm not sure exactly what he said.
  • Options

Perhaps there will be a repeat of last season where we sign a striker like Fuller later on (once Sky money arrives) I see no reason to panic over the first few fixtures - question is will we play 4-5-1 or try Piggott up front with Kermorgant.
    Given the form of the last 8 games of last season perhaps people should be a little more positive seeing as the only player missing is Obika...
    For that reason, maybe we sign 0 or 1 striker before end August - let's see shall we

Not much of a question. If CP had any intention of giving Pigott a starting debut up front in an away Championship match, it seems inconceivable to me he wouldn't have started him in a 4-4-2 yesterday. Apart from whether it's right for the team, there is the question of whether it's right for the player. That's no criticism of Pigott whatsoever. He'll likely be on the bench and if required I hope he comes on and does well.

At present we've lost Fuller as well as Obika from the run-in. Clearly we are likely to need more senior pros for a full season than we needed for the last eight games, though, if only because we will pick up injuries. We will need to sign at least two experienced strikers, even if Pigott (or Smith) steps up. If we don't there are likely to be consequences.
    Agreed we will need more that the current first team squad for the whole season. My point is can we get by for the first few matches with the players who finished so well given that the only key player "missing" is Obika.

By the time we get to September there will be more strikers available - on loan and out of contract - p'raps there are possibilities lined up already - p'raps there are senior players in the Premier League who are winding down their contracts and both club and player would welcome a change of scene - I was fortunate to talk to Mark Kinsella at the Trust launch last Christmas and he told me there are some seriously pissed off senior players whom he knows very well.

Not saying I am ITK just that the only plausible (sane) interpretation of the current situation is that the board are biding their time - the question for me is who might sign and when. As per the Trusts commentry on Charlton finances and the impact of FFP, it has become a buyer's market this season.

So we can panic now or we can be patient... but to panic and also assume that the lack of transfer activity is an attempt to destroy value, undermine the management and generally negate ALL of the efforts of the last 24 months doesn't make sense to me.

So I will keep an eye out for who misses the cut with Premier League squads, not because I know anything but I prefer the optimistic glass half full approach :)

Do you really think that is Chris Powell's view, because I don't? It's a directors' line, which I've heard at least ten times in the last 20 years. This year is different. It always is.

I'm not that panicked about the situation, personally, but going into the opening games with one senior striker would not be sensible or prudent management. And while I have no special insight, I bet Chris knows that more than anyone.