Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

However, the boss has confirmed that negotiations have started with Ricardo Fuller about a return to The Valley, with the Jamaican striker training with the club in pre-season.

There is a bit of talking to be done but there is an outside chance we could get him back.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130729-powell-on-forward-line-952290.aspx#k0U71DIhcJ8LTSWY.99

An "outside chance" we might get back a striker who appears to have no other options !

I thought Fuller was good when in the mood but that just wasn't often enough to justify his huge wages.
    Powell clearly states that Fuller is in demand and has other options.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

paulfox said:

fuller , 5 goals in about 30 games, dont think he was all that to be honest,seemed to be better away,but not much. if he ends up coming back ,so be it but not excited by the news at all.

Start with The Beast and the Pig, bring on Ric for the latter with 20 mins to go.

What's the problem ?
    The problem is a guy who plays 20 mins a game will be one of the highest paid players in the squad.

If times are as hard as they seem and despite my love for Ricky perhaps our money is best spent elsewhere.
    How do you know what wages he'd accept, SE9 ?

I'm really trying hard to look on the bright side but finding it increasingly difficult.

• Options

se9addick said:

paulfox said:

fuller , 5 goals in about 30 games, dont think he was all that to be honest,seemed to be better away,but not much. if he ends up coming back ,so be it but not excited by the news at all.

Start with The Beast and the Pig, bring on Ric for the latter with 20 mins to go.

What's the problem ?
    The problem is a guy who plays 20 mins a game will be one of the highest paid players in the squad.

If times are as hard as they seem and despite my love for Ricky perhaps our money is best spent elsewhere.

I'm really trying hard to look on the bright side but finding it increasingly difficult.

I don't know what his demands are but the man will be a multi, multi millionaire after several seasons in the Premier League (apparently his last contract with Stoke was £2.08m p/a).

There will be an amount below which he just won't get out of bed for, a minimum salary expectation, if we try and imagine what that might be then you'd have to guess it would put him in the echelons of one of our top paid players - can we really justify that given despite his talent he's unlikely to play lots of minutes ?
  • Options
    Bring back Ricardo! You must be mad to not want to.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

paulfox said:

What's the problem ?

I don't know what his demands are but the man will be a multi, multi millionaire after several seasons in the Premier League (apparently his last contract with Stoke was £2.08m p/a).

There will be an amount below which he just won't get out of bed for, a minimum salary expectation, if we try and imagine what that might be then you'd have to guess it would put him in the echelons of one of our top paid players - can we really justify that given despite his talent he's unlikely to play lots of minutes ?
    No. Lets get in Simon Church, McGurk and another journeyman for the money we would give Ricci.

• Options

se9addick said:

However, the boss has confirmed that negotiations have started with Ricardo Fuller about a return to The Valley, with the Jamaican striker training with the club in pre-season.

There is a bit of talking to be done but there is an outside chance we could get him back.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130729-powell-on-forward-line-952290.aspx#k0U71DIhcJ8LTSWY.99

An "outside chance" we might get back a striker who appears to have no other options !

I thought Fuller was good when in the mood but that just wasn't often enough to justify his huge wages.
    Powell clearly states that Fuller is in demand and has other options.
    I guess by "in demand" it means there are probably a few League One clubs with money to spend sniffing around him. If another Champ club was after him, I think I would of happened by now.
  • Options
    How many agents has Ricci got ?
  • Options

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

paulfox said:

What's the problem ?

No. Lets get in Simon Church, McGurk and another journeyman for the money we would give Ricci.

So that's the only alternative ? Sign two players we don't really want or hasten our financial demise by bringing back a player who despite his obvious talent didnt really do it consistently for us last year ?
  • Options
    I am sure CP is doing his level best to get at least two strikers in and in a buyer's market I feel we need to be patient and hope for the best. Only alternative is to give the youngsters a chance.
  • Options
    on another site it says we are getting Church and N Guesson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey it's getting worse rumour by rumour!
  • Options
    next thing CP will borrow a horse and cart from the Bermodsey Pikeys and be going round the grounds shouting "bring out your dead"
  • Options
    We'll be in trouble if we don't get some quality and flat in up top
  • Options
    If you look at some of the players released by clubs there is plenty of talent to be signed on frees.

Some agents like to leave it late in order to get there client the best deal. I think with Charlton there is no money there what so ever. The owners want out and will not invest, so Powell is left to scrape the barrel.

Hopefully there will be some movement as I know the "leaving it late" thing can work in the clubs favour to.
  • Options

next thing CP will borrow a horse and cart from the Bermodsey Pikeys and be going round the grounds shouting "bring out your dead"

made my lunchtime.
  • Options
    Smith and Button out in one day. Must free up some funds surely?!
  • Options
    funds to free up Church, Hulse,Fuller (I hope not).Come on Charlton,sort it out
  • Options
    so thats about 8 players outed to free up wages since end of last season,must be some mega signing on its way...........unless were really skint
  • Options

so thats about 8 players outed to free up wages since end of last season,must be some mega signing on its way...........unless were really skint

Well said ;)
  • Options
    kodfish said:

Well said ;)
    Yep, don't even have a button now,

• Sponsored links:

• Options

yep - we are really skint !!

any owner with a normal, sensible approach to running a club wouldn't release 3 proven, senior strikers & gamble on bringing in cheaper ones to do the job. Like most in life, you only get what you pay for. You don't generally find quality strikers who can get you 15+ goals a season sitting around without a club come late July. There may be 1 or 2 Prem strikers surplus to requirements come late August, but they are not going to sign for anything less than £10k per week - and we ain't got that sort of money.

I'm sure we will sign 1 or 2 strikers v.soon - but the likes of Church & McGurk are short of match fitness and will be hole-fillers at best. I would love to be proved wrong, but as I said - good strikers don't grow on trees. We hardly had a potent strike force last season - this season it is actually worse.
  • Options

yep - we are really skint !!

any owner with a normal, sensible approach to running a club wouldn't release 3 proven, senior strikers & gamble on bringing in cheaper ones to do the job. Like most in life, you only get what you pay for. You don't generally find quality strikers who can get you 15+ goals a season sitting around without a club come late July. There may be 1 or 2 Prem strikers surplus to requirements come late August, but they are not going to sign for anything less than £10k per week - and we ain't got that sort of money.

I'm sure we will sign 1 or 2 strikers v.soon - but the likes of Church & McGurk are short of match fitness and will be hole-fillers at best. I would love to be proved wrong, but as I said - good strikers don't grow on trees. We hardly had a potent strike force last season - this season it is actually worse.
    The strikers released are so proven that two of them are playing at a lower level now and the other can't find a club.
  • Options
    Haynes may be at a lower level BUT he got a 2 year contract with the option of a third. We offered 1 year on reduced terms. What would you do? As for Fuller yes he ain't got a Club but has probably got offers and is still looking around. He will probably resign with us. Will he still be unproven then?
  • Options
    I do think it looks pretty grim on the striker front, I am up for giving Piggot a go but really need to get a couple in - not too keen on Fuller back as did'nt really look up for it most of the time I see him last season.

Would not mind seeing a ball winning midfielder added too, but with the funds we have that could be wishful thinking!!
  • Options
    jay76 said:

I do think it looks pretty grim on the striker front, I am up for giving Piggot a go but really need to get a couple in - not too keen on Fuller back as did'nt really look up for it most of the time I see him last season.

Would not mind seeing a ball winning midfielder added too, but with the funds we have that could be wishful thinking!!

I'm 95% sure at least Church will sign by Saturday.
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/careers-page-20130731-exoffenders-957068.aspx

I saw the headline and thought we had got Marcus Bent back
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Haynes may be at a lower level BUT he got a 2 year contract with the option of a third. We offered 1 year on reduced terms. What would you do? As for Fuller yes he ain't got a Club but has probably got offers and is still looking around. He will probably resign with us. Will he still be unproven then?

He ended up at a lower because no one wanted him in the championship. Every club in the championship does not want him. Talk about contracts all you want but he is in league 1 and playing at a lower level.

I think fuller would of signed for someone by now if he had all these offers and not sniffing round sparrows lane like a stray cat. He is a free agent.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

He ended up at a lower because no one wanted him in the championship. Every club in the championship does not want him. Talk about contracts all you want but he is in league 1 and playing at a lower level.

Haynes signed for a League One club, because they offered him a longer and better deal than Champs clubs who were interested.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Haynes signed for a League One club, because they offered him a longer and better deal than Champs clubs who were interested.

And what does that tell you?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Job security. It tells me that Haynes negotiated himself a 2 year deal with an option of a further year.

Those Champs clubs interested were only willing to offer a 1 year contract (including Charlton who apparently offered reduced terms).

Obviously the football world knows about his hamstrings.