Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options
    Obviously it is frustrating not being able to get the right players in but at least we haven't lost any of our players yet. Imagine if we went into the season without Solly, Jacko, Kerm so it's not all bad.
  • Options
    jakecafc said:

Obviously it is frustrating not being able to get the right players in but at least we haven't lost any of our players yet. Imagine if we went into the season without Solly, Jacko, Kerm so it's not all bad.

No need to make an offer for any of our players, they will be free in less than a year.

• Options
    and so available now at a knock down price?

• Options
    dickplumb said:

jakecafc said:

No need to make an offer for any of our players, they will be free in less than a year.

I assume we would get a development fee for Solly and a couple of the others, albeit not likely to be (what we think is) market value. Baffled by the whole contract running out part tbh, can't help the value of the club if trying to sell, can't motivate the players who will start to worry about injuries etc etc. Fair enough for the journeymen but Solly, Wiggins, Morrison, Dervite, Hamer, Kermy should all have at least another yr. Would love to understand the boards thinking and rationale....I guess they just ssee renegotiating contracts as an extra expense they cannot afford.

The only reason I can think of is whoever is still keeping us going has said he will fund it this year but not the year after. Hence next yr we will need to break even so will not be able to afford any of these players so can't put them on longer contracts...scary thought if true.
  • Options
    I think it's more to do with the fact that a player signing an extension is likely to expect a higher salary, if not a signing-on fee. Leaving it late means you keep the wage bill down for as long as you can, but it's a high stakes game and there is no guarantee they will sign in their last season.

It's virtually inconceivable now the club could break even in the Championship or League One (without player sales), unless there is a massive shake-up in the TV money.

• Options

I think it's more to do with the fact that a player signing an extension is likely to expect a higher salary, if not a signing-on fee. Leaving it late means you keep the wage bill down for as long as you can, but it's a high stakes game and there is no guarantee they will sign in their last season.

It's virtually inconceivable now the club could break even in the Championship or League One (without player sales), unless there is a massive shake-up in the TV money.

That's a very instructive comment. Presumably, the same applies to signing new players? As you say, it's a risky approach and puts a lot of pressure on the Manager.
  • Options
    its a sign of no budget
  • Options

That's a very instructive comment. Presumably, the same applies to signing new players? As you say, it's a risky approach and puts a lot of pressure on the Manager.
    Yes - and you can see why it might appeal to someone who isn't actually that fussed what happens on the field as long as we don't get relegated and take a hit in the club's resale value.
  • Options

Yes - and you can see why it might appeal to someone who isn't actually that fussed what happens on the field as long as we don't get relegated and take a hit in the club's resale value.
    ....minimising the cost of staying in the Championship whilst trying to sell?

• Options
    Perhaps Jiminez thinking that he will force c.p. hand into playing youngsters and hoping that they all do a callum,after all i think c.p reluctantly threw callum harriot in last season after running out of options and has turned out good so far.Not sure it works out that often though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Perhaps Jiminez thinking that he will force c.p. hand into playing youngsters and hoping that they all do a callum,after all i think c.p reluctantly threw callum harriot in last season after running out of options and has turned out good so far.Not sure it works out that often though.

Jimenez and Slater (and maybe Protheroe) were at the under-21's last league game, when they won 6-1, and Pigott scored 4.
  • Options
    This story just released on the O/S - are these the same quotes that were in the News Shopper earlier ?

"“Everyone knows that we are noticeably short in that area. I will do my best to get someone in and hopefully I will be allowed to do that.”

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130729-powell-on-forward-line-952290.aspx
  • Options
    So Jimenez is meant to have a lot of contacts in the football industry, wonder if he has burnt a lot of bridges and is the main reason we are finding it hard to bring players in, even on loan or free agents.
  • Options
    Pathetic situation to be in.I am normally very patient where my club is concerned but I am finding this very hard to take.How Chris Powell can prepare for the Bournemouth game I just dont know and I hate to think what the players must be feeling when you consider our average home gate last year compared to the Barnsleys of this world!
  • Options
    I think everyone realises that now. When you look back in the threads to June, loads had their head in the sand saying all will be well and they are confident we will have 3 strikers in by the first game. At least now we are all singing from the same hymn sheet! The 'panickers' have been shown to be correct. We are screwed!
  • Options
    You would think that morale would take a battering, but funnily enough adversity might just inspire an all-in-it-together toughness. It was a lousy weekend on the pitch, however - that is undeniable.
  • Options
    Disagree I have always thought until the prem squads are announced we wouldn't get any in

Unless they were freebies the intersting bit for me is we can't even get the freebies

The starting eleven doesn't concern me the pricks running our club does all of them
  • Options
    I think we'll have 1 or 2 in this week and 3 by the transfer deadline at the latest.
  • Options
    We need great players at low prices. Simples.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

I think we'll have 1 or 2 in this week and 3 by the transfer deadline at the latest.

This

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank Member
    6:32PM

So why do you think this unless you are ITK? There's little or no evidence to back up your thoughts!
  • Options
    Whatever will be will be. No point moaning about it, we will sign a couple of forwards at some point soon. Chill
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Southbank Member
    6:32PM

So why do you think this unless you are ITK? There's little or no evidence to back up your thoughts!

SOMEONE's got to show a soupcon of optimism, jonnyK....

• Options
    Well KHA is trying on the TJ thread Fanny but most are not having any of it and why should they?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    However, the boss has confirmed that negotiations have started with Ricardo Fuller about a return to The Valley, with the Jamaican striker training with the club in pre-season.

There is a bit of talking to be done but there is an outside chance we could get him back.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130729-powell-on-forward-line-952290.aspx#k0U71DIhcJ8LTSWY.99
  • Options

However, the boss has confirmed that negotiations have started with Ricardo Fuller about a return to The Valley, with the Jamaican striker training with the club in pre-season.

There is a bit of talking to be done but there is an outside chance we could get him back.”

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130729-powell-on-forward-line-952290.aspx#k0U71DIhcJ8LTSWY.99

An "outside chance" we might get back a striker who appears to have no other options !

I thought Fuller was good when in the mood but that just wasn't often enough to justify his huge wages.
  • Options
    fuller , 5 goals in about 30 games, dont think he was all that to be honest,seemed to be better away,but not much. if he ends up coming back ,so be it but not excited by the news at all.
  • Options
    paulfox said:

fuller , 5 goals in about 30 games, dont think he was all that to be honest,seemed to be better away,but not much. if he ends up coming back ,so be it but not excited by the news at all.

Start with The Beast and the Pig, bring on Ric for the latter with 20 mins to go.

What's the problem ?
  • Options
    yeah maybe fanny, beggars cant be choosers as they say, dont hate him ,but just didnt live up to all the hype for me. but thats all about opinions i guess.
  • Options

paulfox said:

Start with The Beast and the Pig, bring on Ric for the latter with 20 mins to go.

What's the problem ?
    The problem is a guy who plays 20 mins a game will be one of the highest paid players in the squad.

If times are as hard as they seem and despite my love for Ricky perhaps our money is best spent elsewhere.