Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options

Squad numbers released later!

Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extra just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.
    Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
    The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.
    They have been released and no.9 and 10 haven't been given to anyone.... Seems Powell is looking to buy at least 2 senior strikers
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    AddickBen said:

Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extra just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.
    Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
    The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.
    They have been released and no.9 and 10 haven't been given to anyone.... Seems Powell is looking to buy at least 2 senior strikers
    Powell wont be buying anyone - we haven't got any money !!!!

as for squad numbers - it doesn't mean a thing that 9 and 10 are spare. It is usual for any players coming in to take a vacant shirt number - 9 &10 happen to be vacant as both Haynes & BWP have left - otherwise Kermy could have taken one of them and given up his no. 18 or whatever no. he has.

And to say there is no need to panic because we have Kermy and Fuller might sign (and he might not) plus we have the youth.............JESUS. We have a week to go before the start of the season & we have just ONE recognised striker. Even if Fuller did join, and maybe even Church too, that is not enough to stay up. Fuller can't play a whole season and rarely finished a match last season. Church's record is hardly awe inspiring & so if Yann got injured you want to then leave it up to them an a couple of youth team players with no Championship experience at all.

As Blackadder used to say.............rhymes with clucking bell !!
  • Options
    have a beer and chill, go tomorrow and see what happens

• Options
    I don't want panic buys , buts the smells coming out of the boardroom at the moment don't seem pleasant.
  • Options

AddickBen said:

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extrad, just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.

as for squad numbers - it doesn't mean a thing that 9 and 10 are spare. It is usual for any players coming in to take a vacant shirt number - 9 &10 happen to be vacant as both Haynes & BWP have left - otherwise Kermy could have taken one of them and given up his no. 18 or whatever no. he has.

And to say there is no need to panic because we have Kermy and Fuller might sign (and he might not) plus we have the youth.............JESUS. We have a week to go before the start of the season & we have just ONE recognised striker. Even if Fuller did join, and maybe even Church too, that is not enough to stay up. Fuller can't play a whole season and rarely finished a match last season. Church's record is hardly awe inspiring & so if Yann got injured you want to then leave it up to them an a couple of youth team players with no Championship experience at all.

Bwp scored what, 1 goal last season? Then was dropped and then loaned out.

Haynes scored 7 and spent more time in the treatment room than the physios.

Not sure losing them is the massive drama you make out.

If we get church and one other then they don't have to pull up any trees to Match the record of the strikers that left.
  • Options

AddickBen said:

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extrad, just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.

If we get church and one other then they don't have to pull up any trees to Match the record of the strikers that left.
    This

• Options

AddickBen said:

this this and more this

• Options
    edited July 2013

AddickBen said:

Them leaving isn't the drama though is it ? Them leaving is completely fine for the reasons you've given but it's the fact that they haven't been replaced that's the "drama".

Now Fuller, Haynes, Obika and BWP may hypothetically be replaced by Obika and Simon Church but given our success in convincing players to join us (look at how long it took to convince our second choice left back to sign a deal) so far this year there is also a very good chance that neither will join.

Surely this situation is cause for concern for anyone who has our best interests at heart ?
  • Options

AddickBen said:

this this and more this

Of course we need another two strikers in. Without that we'll be in trouble. People are quite rightly focussing on the lack of strikers but that deflects attention from the importance last season of Johnnie Jackson. Without his goal return which was phenomenal we would have been in bother. Our strike force last season wasn't individually prolific enough and that needs to be addressed. Yann isn't a 20 goal man and nor will Fuller or Church be if they do sign. It's JJ that needs wrapping in cotton wool. I would hate to see Solly leave because he's a real gem but I am starting to believe that providing any resources his sale might generate we're ploughed back into the team then I think we should seriously consider selling. We do need a quality goal scorer and we do need a younger playmaker. If the price of that is CS leaving then I think it's a possible consideration. We are close but yet a million miles from a playoff spot.

• Options
    Wanky preparations for the season is something SCP will have to get used to if the current owners and hmself are around for a few seasons more..... Next season will be even more fun as more contracts run down at the end of this

Its not ideal but I'm sure the honest integrity of those in charge will have fully explained everything to SCP so he knew the situation at the start of the summer unlike last summer ......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

AddickBen said:

this this and more this

Of course we need another two strikers in. Without that we'll be in trouble. People are quite rightly focussing on the lack of strikers but that deflects attention from the importance last season of Johnnie Jackson. Without his goal return which was phenomenal we would have been in bother. Our strike force last season wasn't individually prolific enough and that needs to be addressed. Yann isn't a 20 goal man and nor will Fuller or Church be if they do sign. It's JJ that needs wrapping in cotton wool. I would hate to see Solly leave because he's a real gem but I am starting to believe that providing any resources his sale might generate we're ploughed back into the team then I think we should seriously consider selling. We do need a quality goal scorer and we do need a younger playmaker. If the price of that is CS leaving then I think it's a possible consideration. We are close but yet a million miles from a playoff spot.

That assumes that we'd get a decent fee for Solly to fund "a quality goal scorer and...a younger playmaker".

I doubt that we'd get anywhere near enough for one of those given a) Solly has 10 months left on his contract and b) we're hardly known for the big fees we're able to negotiate for our good young players.
  • Options
    This pre season is different* to what has gone before simply because of the new legislation EPPP FPP blah blah which is now impacting on many clubs and not just Charlton and whilst it seems a bit 'squeaky bum' time, I do not think we need to 'doom-react' quite as much as some people seem to be at the moment.

Different : unlike previous seasons and simply because of the new operating legislation, at this moment in time - now - today - right this minute, as I understand it, there are some 300+ 1st team league football players currently out of contract and looking for new clubs, this is a far higher number than is normal at this point of pre season. So there is actually quite a lot of choice out there at the moment and a lot of decent players who maybe are currently holding out for too much money, or too long a contract - sound familiar? - and who, in the near future, are going to have to manage their own expectations income wise and maybe contract term wise to ensure they are still playing football. And this is before you even tap into youth development players from all the clubs, so......... Whilst I fully accept we including CP would all like Charlton to be in a much more improved financial state, I think this is a new era and IMHO I'm positive CP has his finger firmly on the pulse of who's is out there and will get it sorted.
  • Options

Our strike force last season wasn't individually prolific enough and that needs to be addressed. Yann isn't a 20 goal man and nor will Fuller or Church be if they do sign. It's JJ that needs wrapping in cotton wool.

Even more reason to panic. We didn't have a prolific striker last season so trying to get one in to replace the bits & bobs players should have, in my mind, been a priority and wrapped up in May, You don't usually find them hanging around without a club come August.

And for all those of you that quote Cardiff or Hull as examples I will quote you Palace (Murray & Phillips) - Also both Cardiff & Hull had money should they have needed to buy or borrow a player half way through the season.

I'm sorry, but even if we do now bring in Fuller, Church AND Obika, I can only see us struggling at the wrong end of the table. Millwall saw this as their problem so have gone out and rectified it, We haven't.

• Options

I'm sorry, but even if we do now bring in Fuller, Church AND Obika, I can only see us struggling at the wrong end of the table. Millwall saw this as their problem so have gone out and rectified it, We haven't.

Golfie, you'd still be panicing & predicting relegation, if we had the best team in the division. It's what you do.
    It must be ever so tiring.
  • Options

Golfie, you'd still be panicing & predicting relegation, if we had the best team in the division. It's what you do.
    It must be ever so tiring.

Wears me out just reading his posts :) ... so negative
  • Options
    I know we're all concerned should Kermo miss a big chunk of the season, let alone signing a seasoned goal scorer to play off him.

Even if we did spend money we evidently haven't got on the mythical 20-goal a season striker, we'd still need to replace him if he suffered a long term injury - and then we'd be back to square one.

Obviously the situation isn't ideal, as even CP himself has pointed out.
    But we need to trust he has irons in the fire - despite apparently having to wait until the TV money comes in?

• Options

AddickBen said:

Maybe, but this is a team game and it's not just about how many goals players score. Haynes and Fuller both contributed to our season with goals that won games, but between them they also contributed some experience, guile, pace, and they suited the way we play especially away from home.

This reminds me of Pardew's second season when we went in with just one senior centre half. Sure, if we got someone in and a couple of kids stepped up. If my aunt had bollocks and all that, and how did that season end?
  • Options
    I wonder if we'll see any trialists today?

Besides Church.

I've a feeling that Obika may sign - as we know we currently have no money, but the TV revenue will kick in soon and once that hits the bank account possibly we'll see some action.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I know we're all concerned should Kermo miss a big chunk of the season, let alone signing a seasoned goal scorer to play off him.

Even if we did spend money we evidently haven't got on the mythical 20-goal a season striker, we'd still need to replace him if he suffered a long term injury - and then we'd be back to square one.

Obviously the situation isn't ideal, as even CP himself has pointed out.
    But we need to trust he has irons in the fire - despite apparently having to wait until the TV money comes in?

I'm pinning all my hopes on your last sentence Oggy. My gut feeling is that he hasn't. I think having trialists like Coubilaly (sp) and Church indicate that we are still clutching at straws and having a look at anyone that even might fit the bill. I know I'm sounding like Golfie but I am not at all optimistic that we won't have a very tough season.
  • Options
    Golfaddick in "panic" shocker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm pinning all my hopes on your last sentence Oggy. My gut feeling is that he hasn't. I think having trialists like Coubilaly (sp) and Church indicate that we are still clutching at straws and having a look at anyone that even might fit the bill. I know I'm sounding like Golfie but I am not at all optimistic that we won't have a very tough season.

So there are no irons in the fire and yet there have been two trialists that we know of plus CP has said that there are negotiations on-going with Spurs over Obika and also that Fuller is an option.

Unfortunately strikers who'll get you 10-15 goals a season do not come cheap and without rehashing the whole financial saga yet again - we have no money to bring in the sort of quality that we need.

The good news is that most teams in the Championship are under the same constraints and only those with parachute money are spending.

In the meantime perhaps there are some advantages - presumably in the absence of experienced strikers Smith and Piggott will get some game time and maybe they can take their chance?

• Options
    I share your concern, Shooters ....... and it's apparent that CP hasn't been able to work his list of preferred players.

But CP is not 'Son of Curbs' for no reason. His strength so far is building a team greater than the sum of its parts.
    And while it's doubtful he'll be able to sign a renowned goal scorer, the players he does eventually sign will have to buy into his team ethic - and the team as a unit could well be as effective as last season.

There's still 5 weeks of the transfer window remaining, and there's yet going to be spillage from Prem players who don't make their clubs 25 and youngsters keen to make their mark.

It's not ideal - but we're not the only Champs club in this situation.

• Options
    It is worrying and frustrating but I'm sure we'll get at least 2 strikers in eventually. It's difficult, we're looking for proven Champ quality that provides value for money. In the same division QPR can go out and bid millions for players.

It's understandable why BWP, Haynes and Fuller were let go. BWP didn't make the step up and Fuller & Haynes picked up a few injuries over the season. Fuller would have been on a fairly big wage and is coming towards the end of his career.

Church might not be good enough but why decide that now before he's even played on trial for us? Football is unpredictable, players struggle at one club and stand out at another. Some push on while others fade away. If everything worked out as expected Yann, Morrison and Pritchard wouldn't have stepped up to the Championship. Two years ago our best midfield was supposed to be a Championship standard four of Green Stephens Hollands Jackson. BWP would still be scoring goals for us.

We'll get a few strikers in eventually and we've got a manager that should get the best out of them. They won't be the proven 20+ goal strikers we hope for but we're going to have to work with whatever we can get. We rarely had a proven goalscoring striker in the Prem and competed just fine. In 06/07 we had one and got relegated.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

So there are no irons in the fire and yet there have been two trialists that we know of plus CP has said that there are negotiations on-going with Spurs over Obika and also that Fuller is an option.

Unfortunately strikers who'll get you 10-15 goals a season do not come cheap and without rehashing the whole financial saga yet again - we have no money to bring in the sort of quality that we need.

The good news is that most teams in the Championship are under the same constraints and only those with parachute money are spending.

In the meantime perhaps there are some advantages - presumably in the absence of experienced strikers Smith and Piggott will get some game time and maybe they can take their chance?

If by "irons in the fire" you mean anyone that gets a kick as a trialist because we want a look at them and they are avilable by being relseased then I agree with you. I was meaning more "irons in the fire" to mean we have identified a player we want. Approached said player, agent and or club and have opened negotiations with them and are waiting for things to happen. With the very possible exception of Obika I doubt that is the case. I agree with Scoham that we will sign two strikers before the window closes but I'm willing to guess that both SCP and the players that we sign don't know each other yet.
  • Options
    Perhaps there will be a repeat of last season where we sign a striker like Fuller later on (once Sky money arrives) I see no reason to panic over the first few fixtures - question is will we play 4-5-1 or try Piggott up front with Kermorgant.
    Given the form of the last 8 games of last season perhaps people should be a little more positive seeing as the only player missing is Obika...
    For that reason, maybe we sign 0 or 1 striker before end August - let's see shall we
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, how much money did the club receive as part of Jonjo's move to Swansea?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Perhaps there will be a repeat of last season where we sign a striker like Fuller later on (once Sky money arrives) I see no reason to panic over the first few fixtures - question is will we play 4-5-1 or try Piggott up front with Kermorgant.
    Given the form of the last 8 games of last season perhaps people should be a little more positive seeing as the only player missing is Obika...
    For that reason, maybe we sign 0 or 1 striker before end August - let's see shall we

Not much of a question. If CP had any intention of giving Pigott a starting debut up front in an away Championship match, it seems inconceivable to me he wouldn't have started him in a 4-4-2 yesterday. Apart from whether it's right for the team, there is the question of whether it's right for the player. That's no criticism of Pigott whatsoever. He'll likely be on the bench and if required I hope he comes on and does well.

At present we've lost Fuller as well as Obika from the run-in. Clearly we are likely to need more senior pros for a full season than we needed for the last eight games, though, if only because we will pick up injuries. We will need to sign at least two experienced strikers, even if Pigott (or Smith) steps up. If we don't there are likely to be consequences.
  • Options

Have we ever received a bid for solly?

We will in January, when he only has six months on his contract! Bargain hunters
  • Options
    Can see the headline now....

ADDICKS WILL BE SOLLY
    "Sam Allardyce has made "the best buy of his managerial career" after securing Charlton Athletic right back Chris Solly on a five year deal worth up to just £600,000 for The Addicks fans' favourite. Solly, who won player of the season the last two seasons running, only had six months left on his current deal and with no new contract offer on the table from the club he'd been at since the age of 10 a move to the Premier League was too good to turn down. Solly has again been in fine form again this season for Charlton, playing every minute available for Chris Powell's side and with Tottenham, Fulham and Sunderland supposedly interested Allardyce moved quickly to secure his services.
    Charlton manager Chris Powell spoke openly about his dissapointment in the transfer which has left him frustrated and angry "I can only say I am sorry to all Charlton Athletic fans. Everyone who saw Chris play in Charlton colours will know what a fantastic player he was, always giving a 7 out of 10 even when he played poorly. This season he has been a consistent 8. I spoke with the board about his contract in April last year and was told he will not walk without signing a new deal first. It's left me frustrated and angry but I love this club and will strive to imrpove us to the best I can."

Hope that's cheered everyone up.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Can see the headline now....

ADDICKS WILL BE SOLLY
    "Sam Allardyce has made "the best buy of his managerial career" after securing Charlton Athletic right back Chris Solly on a five year deal worth up to just £600,000 for The Addicks fans' favourite. Solly, who won player of the season the last two seasons running, only had six months left on his current deal and with no new contract offer on the table from the club he'd been at since the age of 10 a move to the Premier League was too good to turn down. Solly has again been in fine form again this season for Charlton, playing every minute available for Chris Powell's side and with Tottenham, Fulham and Sunderland supposedly interested Allardyce moved quickly to secure his services.
    Charlton manager Chris Powell spoke openly about his dissapointment in the transfer which has left him frustrated and angry "I can only say I am sorry to all Charlton Athletic fans. Everyone who saw Chris play in Charlton colours will know what a fantastic player he was, always giving a 7 out of 10 even when he played poorly. This season he has been a consistent 8. I spoke with the board about his contract in April last year and was told he will not walk without signing a new deal first. It's left me frustrated and angry but I love this club and will strive to imrpove us to the best I can."

Hope that's cheered everyone up.

The scary thought is i think you are being optimistic!!!

Without a contract renewal solly will go in july for nothing rather than upto 600k in january.