Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we actually going to sign any new players?

Comments

• Options
    I didn't mind Hulse, he was one of our better players at the den and iirc he gave Shittu a game and didn't hide like Haynes did against them c***s at The Valley
    And he doesn't like the scum either
    So if needs must he's a yes from me
  • Options

Rob Hulse at his last three clubs:

Played 50
    Scored 5

Awful player.

Still better than that other alternative Arthur Nobody

Nobody has lots of potential and only scored 5 less than Hulse in 50 fewer appearances. And he's very cheap. Gotta be worth a look.
    xD
  • Options
    People saying he had a heavy touch are wrong. His hold up play was the best we've seen since Andy Hunt. Having said that if we are getting him, just confirms we have no money as a downgrade on Fuller and Haynes and not the future given his advancing years.
  • Options
    Hulse is only a couple of years older than Coulibaly and has premiership credentials. He was consistently good when I saw him a few times away from the Valley and would be happy if he came back. He just ain't the man to get us 20+ in a season. We are going to be heading into 2013/14 without Mr 20+ though!
  • Options
    Well whatever anyone else says I think we are desperately short of strikers and agree with the way he plays it is unrealistic to expect that Yann will not get injured or red carded at least once this season. As we know there isn't any money so for CP its a problem. Also saw that Stephens is wanting away which is OK as he wants to go back up north. Just wish we had taken the £2M when it was offered we'll be lucky to get a bag of chips for him now especially as the whole of the Football world knows we are potless.
  • Options
    Should have taken Villas cash when it was on offer but there you go. Some thought we were right to keep him at the time and i recall it was heralded as a sign of our ambition! Millions turn on these decisions. I hope we get some curry sauce on those chips cos now it's about not paying high wages to someone who is not going to get much game time.

• Options
    Noooooooo
    Can't take any more of the rumors of who were going to sign next!!! It's nailbiting stuff all touch n go!!
  • Options
    true mate its like a kid waiting for Christmas -----except this year it looks like all Mum and Dad can afford is a very very old orange.
  • Options
    The stupidity of the situation is the fact that we have left the squad completely inbalanced - leaving us laughably, ludicously and woefully short up front. I get that we may be potless due to the idiocy over the years of those running the club. But why renew the contracts of 2 CB's, a left back and bring another CM in (leaving us more than covered there). Don't bother renewing Evina (Fox as a back up is less risk than un untried youth starting up front), and don't bother with Wood or Cort. Their combined wages would have got Scott McDonald in. Perfect partner for Yann.
  • Options
    What doesn’t make total sense is that we have some sellable assets – Solly being a major one. Surely we would have sold them by now if there was no intent to have a go next season. Of course it is clear that we are on a budget and cash flow may be the issue. It is worrying if the club is ducking and diving and living hand to mouth but I expect to see a couple of strikers coming in because it is potentially a sound investment. Fuller wasn’t signed until the season had started and I wouldn’t be surprised if we made a similar signing at the same stage. I would also expect a loan which often happens later rather than sooner. The quality of player we do bring in is going to be important as we shouldn’t forget that defensively we are going to be as strong as anybody and we have some decent players in midfield too!

It sounds like a buyer needs to be found sooner rather than later though, either that or we get promotion which isn’t impossible with the manager and some of the players we have!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have we ever received a bid for solly?
  • Options

StevieK said:

I am sorry, but it makes me laugh every time I read the word 'investment' - what people want is not an investment at all, rather someone to come out of the blue and simply give millions of pounds to the club, with little or no prospect of seeing it again.

Think of it that way and it not so difficult to see what such 'investment' is about as common as lottery wins!

The club has to live within its means (actually, scrap that, the club has to live within the level of losses that the board are willing to give away their own money to fund) there is no other way. If other clubs are not doing that, then they will be found out or they are very fortunate to have found a multi-millionaire with more money than sense.

No other business would expect to do anything other than cut its cloth to what it can afford.

I think you are right in one way and the fact that losses should be lower this year than last suggests that the club is becoming more professional?

Where the investment kicks in, is not in feeding the habit of some fans and managers for just one more "hit" (signing) but is in fact in calculating what it would take to get promotion to the Premier League.

So letting players go who are not considered part of either CAFC future or a promotion push is one way to improve prospects of being in the game for longer AND it provides some more financial headroom later in the season to sign players to cover for injuries and/or assist that push.

So are we going to do a QPR and lose £25M getting promoted AND £25M while in the Premier League?! Or a Leicester / Boro / Forest / Ipswich and lose £10M+ a year NOT getting promoted? Are the fans happy there or perhaps their players and agents are happier?!

For me, the quicker CAFC moves towards breakeven by reducing costs, increasing income and perhaps securing promotion(?) the quicker we reduce or get rid of the dependency on one person's investment. And back to our squad...

Not saying I agree 100% with all departures but what we have now is good enough for the first 10 games, given how we finished the season last time around... maybe we sign someone soon, maybe not but it's not critical... not at all. I know the nature of message boards but I wish people would have some faith with the current squad who finished just 3 points off the play offs only 2 months ago! First half of the season they (and perhaps the management!) were finding their feet at this level as a squad and a team. Now having signed Gower and Evina we are only missing Obika from that final 8 game run ... so what's the problem?!

I'm no great apologist for our board, but one observation. I do recall Slater suggesting this year would be one of tightening belts, but thereafter we'd be in a fairly healthy position in the context of FFP. What would be more worrying than where we are today was if we were splashing money we didn't have on gambling for the Premiership, because the fallout of failure would be catastrophic. It might simply be a decision based on the risk to the persons involved, of course, but the result is the same nonetheless.

We're yet to sell an asset player, perhaps the choice is between selling a player and bringing a couple in or keeping the players but being severely constrained in the market. It could be worse - we might have to sell a player and have nothing to replace them with.
  • Options

The stupidity of the situation is the fact that we have left the squad completely inbalanced - leaving us laughably, ludicously and woefully short up front. I get that we may be potless due to the idiocy over the years of those running the club. But why renew the contracts of 2 CB's, a left back and bring another CM in (leaving us more than covered there). Don't bother renewing Evina (Fox as a back up is less risk than un untried youth starting up front), and don't bother with Wood or Cort. Their combined wages would have got Scott McDonald in. Perfect partner for Yann.

Don't bother with Wood or Cort? So go into the coming season with 2 CBs? Don't renew Evina and go into the season with one senior LB, who spent a large portion of last season injured and is currently shaking off an injury? The reason we brought Gower in is because he's better than what we have. Hollands and Stephens had poor seasons, Hughes is getting on and has an injury record. You should always be looking to sign better players when they're available. It's a hell of a lot more of a risk going into a tough season with hardly any defensive cover and more attackers - just ask Peterborough. We are short up front but we can still bring players in. The business we've done so far has been very good with regards to the players we've retained
  • Options
    Agree. Really doubt keeping those players is why we've not been able to bring in strikers. There will be a budget left to sign a few strikers, but they'll have other options to consider and clubs want the best deal.
  • Options

Don't bother with Wood or Cort? So go into the coming season with 2 CBs? Don't renew Evina and go into the season with one senior LB, who spent a large portion of last season injured and is currently shaking off an injury? The reason we brought Gower in is because he's better than what we have. Hollands and Stephens had poor seasons, Hughes is getting on and has an injury record. You should always be looking to sign better players when they're available. It's a hell of a lot more of a risk going into a tough season with hardly any defensive cover and more attackers - just ask Peterborough. We are short up front but we can still bring players in. The business we've done so far has been very good with regards to the players we've retained
    Not Wood AND Cort. Having 4 CB's instead of 3, or Evina backing up Wiggins instead of Fox is not as much of an issue as having 1 striker.

Scoham's point is the only way it would make sense. If there is budget left over for 3 strikers to replace Obika, Fuller and BWP.
  • Options

Not Wood AND Cort. Having 4 CB's instead of 3, or Evina backing up Wiggins instead of Fox is not as much of an issue as having 1 striker.

Scoham's point is the only way it would make sense. If there is budget left over for 3 strikers to replace Obika, Fuller and BWP.
    Don't confuse available budget with available cashflow. We may well have room in the budget to accommodate some new strikers. However, until we actually have some cash in the bank that we we can spend we won't be signing anybody.
  • Options
    I have been keeping faith up until now but I am starting to get a little worried now about the striker situation.
  • Options
    In Chris Powell I still have faith
  • Options
    Apart from Millwall I haven't seen much movement from other teams, which is good news for us.

I expect there will be a lot of loan transfers when PL teams make their 25 man squads
  • Options
    Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Seemingly, the club is in a financial pickle though there is some money to spend and money has been spent on contracts for Wood, Gower and the trip to Spain for example. I say again, what is left in the money pot should be spent wisely and I am sure that Powell will do this.

I am sick of people moaning and wailing about 'no new players, we're doomed, Jiminez out, everybody out, new players in quick, anybody, anybody is better than nobody'.
    F F S get a grip and see what happens when the season proper starts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013

Powell should only spend money on a player or players that he really wants and not waste it on signing somebody/anybody to a) increase the 'body count' or b) placate the fans. Years ago a new player was signed perhaps every year or so. This allowed for team continuity and the integration into the team of youngsters brought through from youth development. I would sooner see (say) Pigott given a chance rather than re-signing Hulse or Hanybody Helse of that type, i.e. a journeyman who no other club seems to want, lovely chap though I am sure that he is.

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extra just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.

Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
  • Options

Years ago all the contractual power was in the hands of the clubs, so they could get fees regardless of contracts expiring and players stayed for longer because there was less scope for them and their agents to earn extra just from moving from one place to another. But that is no longer the situation so I don't see how that helps us understand the current position. Players have left and not beeen replaced. Youth may step up, but nobody can guarantee that.

Actually I agree that there is no need to panic and in all likelihood some of the TV money will be used to fill the gaps in the squad. But the present squad is dangerously depleted and I would think the manager is just as concerned about that as the fans.
    Good historical perspective there, Airman. I feel sure Powell is seriously concerned - witness his unequivocal statement to the press about not being able to start the season with just one senior striker. That's a loud and clear message to the board, I'd say.

• Options

The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.
  • Options
    If we go with what we have and I am talking up front here. We will be in a relegation scrap.
  • Options
    Squad numbers released later!
  • Options

The current position? .. No first choice player has left the club. When some player contracts have expired the club has decided not to renew. One could say that this is a 'dead wood' clearance as the squad at the end of last season was an overlarge one. So, player power and agent greed have not been factors so far as CAFC was concerned this close season. Powell has kept who he wanted and let go those he did not want. I repeat that there is no point in 'panic buying'. The only position we are potentially lacking strength is at striker. We have Kermorgant, Fuller might re-sign and we have exciting prospects coming through from the youth set-up.
    It seems to me that some fans want change for its own sake. A 20/25/30 goal striker will cost MILLIONS, we don't have millions. There is no point buying washed out players to sit around on the bench or the medical treatment room waiting to play the odd game here & there.
    IF a desirable player as far as Powell is concerned becomes available under the right financial conditions, by all means sign him up, otherwise we should go with what we have.
    I don't read the situation like that at all. I thought Powell has made it clear he wanted to maintain - and add to - the squad, but was forced to let those seven or eight seniors go in order to reduce the wage bill. Apart from the recruitment of Wood, we haven't replaced them. Even if we eventually do sign or acquire on loan more seniors, they'll have missed the vitally important pre-season preparations - which is another of Powell's concerns.

• Options
    My biggest fear (sorry if its been covered before) is if a rich russian/yank paid Slater a fortune for the club he could want to bring in his own big name manager & sack Sir Chris how would our principles deal with that.
  • Options

My biggest fear (sorry if its been covered before) is if a rich russian/yank paid Slater a fortune for the club he could want to bring in his own big name manager & sack Sir Chris how would our principles deal with that.

Oh God, no! The thought of Ken Bates rocking up and installing Dennis Wise as manager (remember they were at Chelsea together) had me waking in the night, sweating and screaming....

• Options
    An article on bbc football site on 22nd june in which Paul Ince lambasts player contract power.They released/have lost 14 players and had to play 11 trialists in their most recent friendly match.We seem to be in much better health than many others.
  • Options
    sorry 22 july for article refered to above on bbc web site