Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Bailey

Comments

• Options
    We don't need him as a squad player, and he's no better than what we've got in the first team. Our finances are tight, so what money we have should go on a striker or two.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    We need two strikers at least to come in whatever happens. Nicky Bailey could play the role Hughes did for us last season. Hope he signs for us but he won't be coming back.
  • Options
    so overated when he was with us,everytime he gave the ball away the oppo scored which was quite a lot hence the relegations,dont want him back!!
  • Options
    @QueenBailey1986: Feel like I got half of the football factory cast following me!
  • Options
    Can't understand the 'can't see where he'd fit in' comments - he doesn't need to be first choice week in, week out, it's a squad game these days.

Powell often likes to play a Curbs style 442, one 'winger', one wide midfielder - two years ago JJ went inside more with a proper winger on the right in Green or Waggy, last year Pritch played out right and could help the midfield, with Kerkar the Harriott wide left. Bailey can clearly play the tucking/cutting in role as he did for us before, and he's played in the defensive midfielder role at Boro.

There's a minimum 48 games next year. We've got 9 midfielders at the moment but if Green and Hollands go, it's 7. Amongst them, Gower and Hughes are 34 and 35, they aren't going to be the ever-present type.

To quote Curbs, he could be hungry, versatile and have something to prove...

Whether we're after him, I don't know, but he's be a useful signing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Kerkars long gone.
  • Options
    Bailey would massively improve us. Was our best player by a mile when he was here.
  • Options
    jac52 said:

Bailey would massively improve us. Was our best player by a mile when he was here.

Not saying much with the teams he was involved with

• Options
    edited June 2013

Kerkars long gone.

I know (and, you know, good!!), but he was used as the winger at the start of last season when we had Pritch/Wilson on the right.

If Green and Hollands go, we have:

Pritch/Wilson, Hughes/Gower, Jackson/Stephens, Harriott

My point was that Bailey could cover the Harriott and Hughes positions, and form and injuries over a season mean that could be very useful.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

@QueenBailey1986: Feel like I got half of the football factory cast following me!

And doesn't she just love it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He won't come back.
  • Options
    People have short memories. He has his weak points like every single one of our players. I can't recall the amount of times i walked out of the valley in those days thinking. " we would of been f1!!1d without Bailey".
  • Options
    Bailey would fit in nicely IMO. He is a top player and would much rather he improved us than the spanners
  • Options
    Is his wife his agent?
  • Options
    As i said on Twatters WAGS shouild keep away from social netwrking sites
  • Options

He won't come back.

I agree, but just disagree with those who say he wouldn't be a decent signing.
  • Options

He was the love of my life. My wife was keen too...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Based on what I remember of him based on his previous behaviour I suspect that all this twitter rubbish from a woman that, clearly, has no class what so ever, is just to push up the value of his next contract.

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated I am quite confident that he will go to the highest payers, and I wouldn't want that to be us.

My best guess is that it will be QPR, but if the best he can get is Millwall then so be it. He was relegated from this division with us in 2009 so what's to say that he would be able to keep them up this season.

He scored a lot of goals with us but we still went down. Middlesborough were favourites for promotion in each of his seasons there and they finished 12th, 7th and 16th and they released him.

I think that just about tells us all we need to know about him.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him, and I would be very pleased if Millwall do!
  • Options
    This!
  • Options
    I for one would love to get Bailey back in a Charlton shirt,he is the type of player we are missing,to many people on here with short memories,was brill for us last time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated

Please elaborate on this, particularly the comments post relegation because I can't recall any negativity from him?
  • Options
    Never understood the love he received from so many. Bailey's limitations became more apparent the longer he stayed with us. His engine was poor which meant he threw himself into too many do or die challenges rather than track his man or just trotted back from forward runs leaving a big hole that Semedo couldn't cover and wasn't remotely creative enough to compensate. Personally think he would be a backwards step and hope he signs elsewhere.
  • Options

Based on what I remember of him based on his previous behaviour I suspect that all this twitter rubbish from a woman that, clearly, has no class what so ever, is just to push up the value of his next contract.

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated I am quite confident that he will go to the highest payers, and I wouldn't want that to be us.

My best guess is that it will be QPR, but if the best he can get is Millwall then so be it. He was relegated from this division with us in 2009 so what's to say that he would be able to keep them up this season.

He scored a lot of goals with us but we still went down. Middlesborough were favourites for promotion in each of his seasons there and they finished 12th, 7th and 16th and they released him.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him, and I would be very pleased if Millwall do!

1 - Its not down to one man to save a team is it? We would have gone down in March had we not had Bailey. We went down because we had a poor squad and struggled to score, with Bailey an exception.
    2 - Yes Boro released him but Kerms? Is he not good enough because Leicester released him?
    Short minds on here by some, not even saying I would love him back but he was excellent in his two years with us.
  • Options

1 - Its not down to one man to save a team is it? We would have gone down in March had we not had Bailey. We went down because we had a poor squad and struggled to score, with Bailey an exception.
    2 - Yes Boro released him but Kerms? Is he not good enough because Leicester released him?
    Short minds on here by some, not even saying I would love him back but he was excellent in his two years with us.
    1) Which is why I don't think he'd keep Millwall up.
    2) You just can't compare them. Kermorgant missed an important penalty when he chipped it and it had the fans turn against him. No one turned against Bailey for missing the penalty that put us out of the playoffs - even though he missed the target completely. Giving the ball away for them to equalise with ten men? Maybe, but not the missed spot kick,

I have no problem with Bailey, I just think he was a, relatively, poor player in a very, very poor squad. For that reason I don't want him back.

I also think, as I've mentioned, that for what he is likely to want to be paid (rumoured to be £468,000 a year at Middlesbrough) he will not contribute enough where ever he ends up and for that reason I don't, especially, want us to get involved in the bidding. I'm happy for him to end up at QPR or Millwall.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was not convinced by him, and was not sorry to see him leave.
  • Options

1) Which is why I don't think he'd keep Millwall up.
    2) You just can't compare them. Kermorgant missed an important penalty when he chipped it and it had the fans turn against him. No one turned against Bailey for missing the penalty that put us out of the playoffs - even though he missed the target completely. Giving the ball away for them to equalise with ten men? Maybe, but not the missed spot kick,

I have no problem with Bailey, I just think he was a, relatively, poor player in a very, very poor squad. For that reason I don't want him back.

I also think, as I've mentioned, that for what he is likely to want to be paid (rumoured to be £468,000 a year at Middlesbrough) he will not contribute enough where ever he ends up and for that reason I don't, especially, want us to get involved in the bidding. I'm happy for him to end up at QPR or Millwall.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was not convinced by him, and was not sorry to see him leave.
    well not single-handed no obviously. I don't get what you're trying to say there at all? I completely agree on wages, I wouldn't break the bank for him but IMO you are being short minded. You are calling him poor based on one performance, albeit a dreadful one in an important game, but no way was he poor for us. He was very good and you are forgetting what he did for us. If wages weren't a problem ,we should sign him because on a free its a bargain.
  • Options
    Nicky Bailey played wide left for us (rightly or wrongly), I hope he wouldn't relegate Harriot to the bench.

He scored goals for us, yes, but so does Jackson, and I know which one I'd rather see in a red shirt.

Gower's range of passing and movement are, IMO, much superior to Bailey's ever were. If you don't agree, look again at the pass Gower played to Pritchard for our 4th against Bristol City.

Is Bailey's work rate better than Pritchard's? I don't think so...

So, that covers the first choice midfield. So, is he worth signing to be on the bench? Maybe so, but we have a highly successful academy, and if we wish to keep our young talent, (and get around the penalties that we could be hit with under FFP) players such as Jordan and Poyet need to be shown there is a way to get into our first team.

And we have Hughes, a better leader and motivator than Bailey to be on the bench anyway.

So, without in any way denigrating Bailey, I can't see how Bailey would be any advantage to the development of CAFC.

So, it's a no from me...
  • Options

Nicky Bailey played wide left for us (rightly or wrongly), I hope he wouldn't relegate Harriot to the bench.

He scored goals for us, yes, but so does Jackson, and I know which one I'd rather see in a red shirt.

Gower's range of passing and movement are, IMO, much superior to Bailey's ever were. If you don't agree, look again at the pass Gower played to Pritchard for our 4th against Bristol City.

Is Bailey's work rate better than Pritchard's? I don't think so...

So, that covers the first choice midfield. So, is he worth signing to be on the bench? Maybe so, but we have a highly successful academy, and if we wish to keep our young talent, (and get around the penalties that we could be hit with under FFP) players such as Jordan and Poyet need to be shown there is a way to get into our first team.

And we have Hughes, a better leader and motivator than Bailey to be on the bench anyway.

So, without in any way denigrating Bailey, I can't see how Bailey would be any advantage to the development of CAFC.

So, it's a no from me...

You have actually taken the best attribute from each of our midfielders and compared it against Bailey, not exactly fair really. I'd take Bailey back in a heartbeat, anyone that saw him completely boss our midfield back in Novemeber, first from a wide left position to then the holding role. After that game, I thought to myself, Pritchard could actually learn from him as he needs to add a bit more bite as well as intelligence to his game.
  • Options
    I am really surprised how much Bailey splits opinion.
  • Options
    Always liked Bailey.

Why would we want him back when we have Pritchard currently playing his old role? (Pritchard will score a few goals this coming season)
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Always liked Bailey.

Why would we want him back when we have Pritchard currently playing his old role? (Pritchard will score a few goals this coming season)

Pritchard is on the right though? Bailey never played there for us. If bailey was to come back he would be in the middle.