Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Bailey

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Pritchard is the 'workhorse' midfielder - that was primarily Bailey's role.
  • Options
    Has his wife actually said anything to could allude to us being one of them teams in for him?
  • Options
    Did a decent job compared to most whilst with us but he is a few years older and I'm not sure where he would slot in.

I don't see him as the type of player to get splinters in his bottom over most of the season.

A more ambitious target for me would be Lee Cattermole, still only 25 apparently, recently released by Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Cattermole's a liability, red cards and suspensions are the only thing you can be sure you'll get with him.

Aside from that he was their captain last year, will be on huge wages, and will cost millions in a transfer fee, so I think you can forget about that one!
  • Options
    Doesn't really strike me as a Powell type player.

He won't be back here.
  • Options
    Rob62 said:

Cattermole's a liability, red cards and suspensions are the only thing you can be sure you'll get with him.

Aside from that he was their captain last year, will be on huge wages, and will cost millions in a transfer fee, so I think you can forget about that one!

Cattermole has been dogged by injuries; he has played in less than half of Sunderland's games over the last four years. Latest rumour is that he may reunite with Steve Bruce at Hull.

• Options
    Didn't Powell have words with Yannabout changing his attitude and ways ?

I think Bailey under SCP would be a very good signing. I agree that it won't happen though.
  • Options

Based on what I remember of him based on his previous behaviour I suspect that all this twitter rubbish from a woman that, clearly, has no class what so ever, is just to push up the value of his next contract.

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated I am quite confident that he will go to the highest payers, and I wouldn't want that to be us.

My best guess is that it will be QPR, but if the best he can get is Millwall then so be it. He was relegated from this division with us in 2009 so what's to say that he would be able to keep them up this season.

He scored a lot of goals with us but we still went down. Middlesborough were favourites for promotion in each of his seasons there and they finished 12th, 7th and 16th and they released him.

I think that just about tells us all we need to know about him.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him, and I would be very pleased if Millwall do!

1 - Its not down to one man to save a team is it? We would have gone down in March had we not had Bailey. We went down because we had a poor squad and struggled to score, with Bailey an exception.
    2 - Yes Boro released him but Kerms? Is he not good enough because Leicester released him?
    Short minds on here by some, not even saying I would love him back but he was excellent in his two years with us.
    1) Which is why I don't think he'd keep Millwall up.
    2) You just can't compare them. Kermorgant missed an important penalty when he chipped it and it had the fans turn against him. No one turned against Bailey for missing the penalty that put us out of the playoffs - even though he missed the target completely. Giving the ball away for them to equalise with ten men? Maybe, but not the missed spot kick,

I have no problem with Bailey, I just think he was a, relatively, poor player in a very, very poor squad. For that reason I don't want him back.

I also think, as I've mentioned, that for what he is likely to want to be paid (rumoured to be £468,000 a year at Middlesbrough) he will not contribute enough where ever he ends up and for that reason I don't, especially, want us to get involved in the bidding. I'm happy for him to end up at QPR or Millwall.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was not convinced by him, and was not sorry to see him leave.
    well not single-handed no obviously. I don't get what you're trying to say there at all? I completely agree on wages, I wouldn't break the bank for him but IMO you are being short minded. You are calling him poor based on one performance, albeit a dreadful one in an important game, but no way was he poor for us. He was very good and you are forgetting what he did for us. If wages weren't a problem ,we should sign him because on a free its a bargain.
    Sorry, I fear I might have, inadvertently, misled you. I'm not judging Bailey on one game, I'm judging him on two seasons. I won't go into details as I fear I am already coming across like I have a personal grudge against him (which I don't), but I came away from The Valley keen to sell him ASAP many more times than I came away hoping to keep hold of him.

There are clearly split views, but just for the record I wouldn't want him back on a free transfer if he agreed to play for us for nothing.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Always liked Bailey.

Why would we want him back when we have Pritchard currently playing his old role? (Pritchard will score a few goals this coming season)

Hope he had been on shooting practice all summer then cos he can't shoot for sh+t. He would be quality if he could learn to shoot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Based on what I remember of him based on his previous behaviour I suspect that all this twitter rubbish from a woman that, clearly, has no class what so ever, is just to push up the value of his next contract.

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated I am quite confident that he will go to the highest payers, and I wouldn't want that to be us.

My best guess is that it will be QPR, but if the best he can get is Millwall then so be it. He was relegated from this division with us in 2009 so what's to say that he would be able to keep them up this season.

He scored a lot of goals with us but we still went down. Middlesborough were favourites for promotion in each of his seasons there and they finished 12th, 7th and 16th and they released him.

I think that just about tells us all we need to know about him.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him, and I would be very pleased if Millwall do!

1 - Its not down to one man to save a team is it? We would have gone down in March had we not had Bailey. We went down because we had a poor squad and struggled to score, with Bailey an exception.
    2 - Yes Boro released him but Kerms? Is he not good enough because Leicester released him?
    Short minds on here by some, not even saying I would love him back but he was excellent in his two years with us.
    1) Which is why I don't think he'd keep Millwall up.
    2) You just can't compare them. Kermorgant missed an important penalty when he chipped it and it had the fans turn against him. No one turned against Bailey for missing the penalty that put us out of the playoffs - even though he missed the target completely. Giving the ball away for them to equalise with ten men? Maybe, but not the missed spot kick,

I have no problem with Bailey, I just think he was a, relatively, poor player in a very, very poor squad. For that reason I don't want him back.

I also think, as I've mentioned, that for what he is likely to want to be paid (rumoured to be £468,000 a year at Middlesbrough) he will not contribute enough where ever he ends up and for that reason I don't, especially, want us to get involved in the bidding. I'm happy for him to end up at QPR or Millwall.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was not convinced by him, and was not sorry to see him leave.
    well not single-handed no obviously. I don't get what you're trying to say there at all? I completely agree on wages, I wouldn't break the bank for him but IMO you are being short minded. You are calling him poor based on one performance, albeit a dreadful one in an important game, but no way was he poor for us. He was very good and you are forgetting what he did for us. If wages weren't a problem ,we should sign him because on a free its a bargain.
    Sorry, I fear I might have, inadvertently, misled you. I'm not judging Bailey on one game, I'm judging him on two seasons. I won't go into details as I fear I am already coming across like I have a personal grudge against him (which I don't), but I came away from The Valley keen to sell him ASAP many more times than I came away hoping to keep hold of him.

There are clearly split views, but just for the record I wouldn't want him back on a free transfer if he agreed to play for us for nothing.
    It did seem you held a grudge but I understand you didn't rate him and of course you are entitled to your opinion. He obviously splits opinion but I don't get it. He scored goals, had passion and was our most consistent player shown by winning POTY in 2009 and in the the PFA TOTY in 2010, doing so often out of position. I just don't understand how you can not rate someone who had an excellent two years with us, albeit the first in a terrible team, which arguably makes his efforts that season more impressive. IMO you won't find any better on a free and we should sign him to complete our midfield if wages are reasonable.
  • Options
    Bailey was overall an excellent player for us, I'm not sure he'd be a priority signing for us now, simply because we're relatively strong in the positions he played in, and wouldn't be an automatic first choice. He'd certainly strengthen the squad though, if finances allow, but there are other positions than need filling first
  • Options

Worth remembering ?

http://youtu.be/TXv0Zu0caoA

Wonderfully taken goal, but you'd think he was a spanner with the assists he had for their first two goals!

The only aspect of Nicky Bailey that I really didn't like was the far too frequent play acting and feigning injury that was, at times, bloody embarrassing!! He stood out in a very poor squad and Boro seem to have converted him to a decent holding midfielder. If he's lost that embarrassing trait, I wouldn't mind him back at all.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Worth remembering

http://youtu.be/TXv0Zu0caoA

Wonderfully taken goal, but you'd think he was a spanner with the assists he had for their first two goals!

The only aspect of Nicky Bailey that I really didn't like was the far too frequent play acting and feigning injury that was, at times, bloody embarrassing!! He stood out in a very poor squad and Boro seem to have converted him to a decent holding midfielder. If he's lost that embarrassing trait, I wouldn't mind him back at all.
    Wags laid their first one on a plate for Morison.

• Options

yep hes from hammersmith sort of way was out in ibiza last summer with a bloke i used to work with.

When did Hammersmith become "down this way?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If we signed him, I'd see it a a real sign of intent. Football is about opinions, but my one is that you have to be pretty ignorant of football (or have another agenda concerning the player) if you don't think he would improve us!

I accept that we shouldn't sign him if the deal isn't right or if we don't have the dosh, but the fact that I know we probabaly won't be signing him - doesn't mean I can delude myself - this is a good thing!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Interesting debate I guess about how different people see the game and what is important.

I belong to the hope we don't sign him camp,I do not feel he would improve us although he would deepen the squad as cover I would not make him a first choice.

I never felt he was a tidy player , I felt that Bailey gave the ball away too cheaply in midfield.As well as the example listed earlier against Swindon ,I remember a home match with Bristol City where he cost us possession and a goal.I also felt most of his better performances came in League One.
  • Options
    I think a big reason for him giving the ball away was the quality of the players around him. For me, he had a bit of quality and had something about him, where he could take the game by the scruff of the neck - when we needed it.
  • Options
    No doubt he would improve our squad but would he improve our XI? I'm not so sure considering there's a good chance he'd be our highest paid i'd imagine
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have him playing in the middle with JJ and have Prtchard on the right and Harriot on the left. If the wages are out of reach – fair enough I wouldn’t want us to take finanacial risks for him. Messi would improve us, but we know we can’t sign him and we have to be realistic. But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I have him playing in the middle with JJ and have Prtchard on the right and Harriot on the left. If the wages are out of reach – fair enough I wouldn’t want us to take finanacial risks for him. Messi would improve us, but we know we can’t sign him and we have to be realistic. But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.

Agreed. What people are forgetting as well is that this guy is going for absolutely nothing at the moment so the risk is somewhat reduced.

I don't understand this idea of "he gave the ball away a lot"......He gave it away for a crucial goal in a playoff match and from that moment everyone seem to just tag him as a guy who would always give the ball away. I don't remember many stating it as an issue when he was actually playing for us and scoring goals for fun? He was one or two steps ahead of the players in our side at that time and didn't have much to work with. Do you really think it is that easy to make successful passes time and time again to the likes of Andy Gray, Izale McLeod, David Mooney etc?

He's a player who may not always start but he would be involved in the first team more than enough to justify the interest.

Lets say Johnnie Jackson gets injured, who's going to be our reliable goalscorer from midfield? Because the last time I checked, quite a few on here were moaning about the poor return of goals from the likes of Green + Pritchard, and the likes of Gower/Wilson/Hughes/Harriott may not even score 10 goals between them all season.
  • Options
    He clearly is a 'Marmite' player,I gave another clear example of losing possession,my view on this part of his game was developed way before we even got relegated.

Other aspects I didn't like were the way he engineered a move to us in the first place from Southend and before that he had done something similar to Barnet.The fact that he is clearly considering joining the Spanners when he has other options tells us he has no loyalty to Charlton.

I also didn't appreciate the way he play acted and got other players sent off.
  • Options
    Muttley and Tom sum it up well for me - depending on his wage demands he'd be a good addition to the squad. 6 or 7 midfielders will play a lot of games next year, not just 4.
  • Options
    Look at this way, we had on the left Kerkar, Jackson, Cook & Harriott (4) in the middle Razak, Frimpong, Hughes, Hollands, Pritchard, Jackson, Stephens (7) and on the right Wilson, Wagstaff, Green & Pritchard (4) squad players and versitlity are important, but you don't want to overpay someone who would potentially come in as a squad player, if we're bang on that he'll be involved in the first team then why not
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I don't understand this idea of "he gave the ball away a lot"......He gave it away for a crucial goal in a playoff match and from that moment everyone seem to just tag him as a guy who would always give the ball away. I don't remember many stating it as an issue when he was actually playing for us and scoring goals for fun?

You may not remember it but it was certainly being said. The people I sit with gave that little spin he'd try in midfield when he couldn't find a pass the name of "a Bailey Turn" as he did it so frequently and almost as frequently he lost the ball. Then again maybe he couldn't find a pass as the rest of the team was hiding or just slow.

But all that was four seasons ago. He appeared to have settled well as a DM at Boro and if he isn't turning over possession then he is a good championship player. I loved the moaning at refs and the other teams players and think the so called play acting was overplayed by fans. Punched in the chest at Southend, legs raked with studs to draw blood at a home game and both times he got slated for "acting".

I wouldn't mind having him back but doubt we can afford to pay more than Millwall or QPR and I'm not sure where he would fit into the squad.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.

Or just don't share your view. He has had four seasons in the Championship all of them with players that have done significantly better elsewhere. He hasn't been in a side that's finished higher than 7th and his average finish in those four seasons is between 14th and 15th.

Let's not forget that he was released. He didn't fail to agree new terms, the team that finished 16th let him leave!

I have no problem with you having a different view to me, but I'm not sure that it, automatically, makes me misguided.
  • Options
    Can I say I lkeeping my opinions on Bailey to myself until I see who he signs for. If he signs for us he is a player to push us on and if he signs for NILwall, he is obviously a useless cheating donkey.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Agreed. What people are forgetting as well is that this guy is going for absolutely nothing at the moment so the risk is somewhat reduced.

You are forgetting that the player, and his agent, are expecting to be paid. What often happens in these situations is that the player's agent 'introduces' the player to the club and is paid a fee.

I don't have the details of enough of these, personally, but I suspect that the agent and the player share a sum (either upfront or over the term of the contract) that is pretty close to the transfer fee that would be paid if the player was under contract.

That's not to say that free transfers are always expensive, but if a player (or his agent) thinks that a decent transfer fee would have to be paid if the player was under contract they are not going to 'let it go'.

If Bailey was on £9k a week at Middlesborough when he cost them £1.4m what do you think his wage expectations, and his agents fee demands, are going to be?

I'm confident it is going to be considerably more that "absolutely nothing"!
  • Options

cafctom said:

You are forgetting that the player, and his agent, are expecting to be paid. What often happens in these situations is that the player's agent 'introduces' the player to the club and is paid a fee.

I don't have the details of enough of these, personally, but I suspect that the agent and the player share a sum (either upfront or over the term of the contract) that is pretty close to the transfer fee that would be paid if the player was under contract.

That's not to say that free transfers are always expensive, but if a player (or his agent) thinks that a decent transfer fee would have to be paid if the player was under contract they are not going to 'let it go'.

If Bailey was on £9k a week at Middlesborough when he cost them £1.4m what do you think his wage expectations, and his agents fee demands, are going to be?

I'm confident it is going to be considerably more that "absolutely nothing"!
    Funnily enough I haven't forgot about us having to pay his wages and his agent a fee. Hence why I said the risk is "somewhat reduced" rather than being completely non-existent.

I know we live in an age where players hold a lot of control in transfer negotiations, but we don't have to give Bailey 10-15k a week if we don't want to. He is the one without a club at the end of the day. I'm not sure if he is motivated only by money but I can imagine a move back down to London (where his family are and I believe he still has a house), to a club that he knows well is something he would consider.

Do you think Millwall are going to be paying him more than 9k a week? I'd be surprised, even if they did have a Wembley day out.