Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Bailey

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2013
    I'd be surprised if Millwall have a higher wage bill than us - QPR - well that is a different matter! Millwall lost key players to teams that pay more last season!
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Can I say I lkeeping my opinions on Bailey to myself until I see who he signs for. If he signs for us he is a player to push us on and if he signs for NILwall, he is obviously a useless cheating donkey.

The right answer : - )
  • Options
    I'm a great believer in fitting the player in with the manager - and I suspect that Nicky Bailey is the sort of player than Steve Lomas would like to sign, whereas I don't see him as a CP type of player.
  • Options

cafctom said:

I have him playing in the middle with JJ and have Prtchard on the right and Harriot on the left. If the wages are out of reach – fair enough I wouldn’t want us to take finanacial risks for him. Messi would improve us, but we know we can’t sign him and we have to be realistic. But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.

I don't understand this idea of "he gave the ball away a lot"......He gave it away for a crucial goal in a playoff match and from that moment everyone seem to just tag him as a guy who would always give the ball away. I don't remember many stating it as an issue when he was actually playing for us and scoring goals for fun?

You may not remember it but it was certainly being said. The people I sit with gave that little spin he'd try in midfield when he couldn't find a pass the name of "a Bailey Turn" as he did it so frequently and almost as frequently he lost the ball. Then again maybe he couldn't find a pass as the rest of the team was hiding or just slow.
    Splits opinion. Loses the ball after a spin in midfield. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Dale Stephens :-)
  • Options

cafctom said:

I have him playing in the middle with JJ and have Prtchard on the right and Harriot on the left. If the wages are out of reach – fair enough I wouldn’t want us to take finanacial risks for him. Messi would improve us, but we know we can’t sign him and we have to be realistic. But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.

I don't understand this idea of "he gave the ball away a lot"......He gave it away for a crucial goal in a playoff match and from that moment everyone seem to just tag him as a guy who would always give the ball away. I don't remember many stating it as an issue when he was actually playing for us and scoring goals for fun?

You may not remember it but it was certainly being said. The people I sit with gave that little spin he'd try in midfield when he couldn't find a pass the name of "a Bailey Turn" as he did it so frequently and almost as frequently he lost the ball. Then again maybe he couldn't find a pass as the rest of the team was hiding or just slow.
    Splits opinion. Loses the ball after a spin in midfield. Are you sure you aren't thinking about Dale Stephens :-)
    No definitely Bailey. Stephens doesn't even have to spin to lose the ball ; - )
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Agreed. What people are forgetting as well is that this guy is going for absolutely nothing at the moment so the risk is somewhat reduced.

You are forgetting that the player, and his agent, are expecting to be paid. What often happens in these situations is that the player's agent 'introduces' the player to the club and is paid a fee.

I don't have the details of enough of these, personally, but I suspect that the agent and the player share a sum (either upfront or over the term of the contract) that is pretty close to the transfer fee that would be paid if the player was under contract.

That's not to say that free transfers are always expensive, but if a player (or his agent) thinks that a decent transfer fee would have to be paid if the player was under contract they are not going to 'let it go'.

If Bailey was on £9k a week at Middlesborough when he cost them £1.4m what do you think his wage expectations, and his agents fee demands, are going to be?

I'm confident it is going to be considerably more that "absolutely nothing"!
    Funnily enough I haven't forgot about us having to pay his wages and his agent a fee. Hence why I said the risk is "somewhat reduced" rather than being completely non-existent.

I know we live in an age where players hold a lot of control in transfer negotiations, but we don't have to give Bailey 10-15k a week if we don't want to. He is the one without a club at the end of the day. I'm not sure if he is motivated only by money but I can imagine a move back down to London (where his family are and I believe he still has a house), to a club that he knows well is something he would consider.

Do you think Millwall are going to be paying him more than 9k a week? I'd be surprised, even if they did have a Wembley day out.
    Under the circumstances I'm not sure anyone is going to pay him more than £9k a week. I'm, also, not sure that we will be paying any of our players anywhere near £9k a week. Remember that even £5k a week is £780,000 over three years, and I seriously doubt that he is going to agree to sign a one year deal at 28.

QPR are, it would seem, happy to pay players a small fortune. I suspect that he'll end up there, if they are interested in him.
  • Options
    CP cleared out all the old squad so I would be surprised if he now recruited someone from that failing era.

I liked him at the time he played for us but looking back he was the best of a bad squad. Personally I think we have moved on and don't believe he would enhance what we have in midfield.
  • Options

But saying Bailey wouldn’t improve us is either dishonest or misguided.

Or just don't share your view. He has had four seasons in the Championship all of them with players that have done significantly better elsewhere. He hasn't been in a side that's finished higher than 7th and his average finish in those four seasons is between 14th and 15th.

Let's not forget that he was released. He didn't fail to agree new terms, the team that finished 16th let him leave!

I have no problem with you having a different view to me, but I'm not sure that it, automatically, makes me misguided.
    That is just ridiculous. The team finishes 14th = player is rubbish. If you don't want Bailey then fair enough, but thats a stupid justification.
  • Options
    Never mind all that, lets get back to the gritty stuff.... what's dear Queenie saying now?
  • Options

Or just don't share your view. He has had four seasons in the Championship all of them with players that have done significantly better elsewhere. He hasn't been in a side that's finished higher than 7th and his average finish in those four seasons is between 14th and 15th.

Let's not forget that he was released. He didn't fail to agree new terms, the team that finished 16th let him leave!

I have no problem with you having a different view to me, but I'm not sure that it, automatically, makes me misguided.
    That is just ridiculous. The team finishes 14th = player is rubbish. If you don't want Bailey then fair enough, but thats a stupid justification.
    Well, I pointed out that I don't rate him; I gave reasons for why I don't rate him; many others seem to share the same view as me. Then it is suggested that if I say I don't rate him I'm either lying or 'misguided'. I'm not suggesting that finishing 14th = player is rubbish. I have already confirmed that I don't rate him as highly as others.

I did point out that he was in a team with players that did better elsewhere, I merely used the league positioning to demonstrate that he has no experience of being in a team that wins promotion to the Premier League.

Thus if I don't rate him (irrespective as to if you do or not) and he's never been in the playoffs or had the experience of finishing the season in the top two then it is fair to conclude that I can see no reason as to why he would offer us anything that we don't already have. Thus I have to disagree that 'saying Bailey wouldn't improve us is either dishonest or misguided'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Based on what I remember of him based on his previous behaviour I suspect that all this twitter rubbish from a woman that, clearly, has no class what so ever, is just to push up the value of his next contract.

The disgusting way he behaved towards Southend when it was clear that there was a pay rise in it for him to move to us, and the comments that he came out with when we were relegated I am quite confident that he will go to the highest payers, and I wouldn't want that to be us.

My best guess is that it will be QPR, but if the best he can get is Millwall then so be it. He was relegated from this division with us in 2009 so what's to say that he would be able to keep them up this season.

He scored a lot of goals with us but we still went down. Middlesborough were favourites for promotion in each of his seasons there and they finished 12th, 7th and 16th and they released him.

I think that just about tells us all we need to know about him.

I would be very disappointed if we signed him, and I would be very pleased if Millwall do!

1 - Its not down to one man to save a team is it? We would have gone down in March had we not had Bailey. We went down because we had a poor squad and struggled to score, with Bailey an exception.
    2 - Yes Boro released him but Kerms? Is he not good enough because Leicester released him?
    Short minds on here by some, not even saying I would love him back but he was excellent in his two years with us.
    1) Which is why I don't think he'd keep Millwall up.
    2) You just can't compare them. Kermorgant missed an important penalty when he chipped it and it had the fans turn against him. No one turned against Bailey for missing the penalty that put us out of the playoffs - even though he missed the target completely. Giving the ball away for them to equalise with ten men? Maybe, but not the missed spot kick,

I have no problem with Bailey, I just think he was a, relatively, poor player in a very, very poor squad. For that reason I don't want him back.

I also think, as I've mentioned, that for what he is likely to want to be paid (rumoured to be £468,000 a year at Middlesbrough) he will not contribute enough where ever he ends up and for that reason I don't, especially, want us to get involved in the bidding. I'm happy for him to end up at QPR or Millwall.

Just my opinion, of course, but I was not convinced by him, and was not sorry to see him leave.
    well not single-handed no obviously. I don't get what you're trying to say there at all? I completely agree on wages, I wouldn't break the bank for him but IMO you are being short minded. You are calling him poor based on one performance, albeit a dreadful one in an important game, but no way was he poor for us. He was very good and you are forgetting what he did for us. If wages weren't a problem ,we should sign him because on a free its a bargain.
    Sorry, I fear I might have, inadvertently, misled you. I'm not judging Bailey on one game, I'm judging him on two seasons. I won't go into details as I fear I am already coming across like I have a personal grudge against him (which I don't), but I came away from The Valley keen to sell him ASAP many more times than I came away hoping to keep hold of him.

There are clearly split views, but just for the record I wouldn't want him back on a free transfer if he agreed to play for us for nothing.
    It did seem you held a grudge but I understand you didn't rate him and of course you are entitled to your opinion. He obviously splits opinion but I don't get it. He scored goals, had passion and was our most consistent player shown by winning POTY in 2009 and in the the PFA TOTY in 2010, doing so often out of position. I just don't understand how you can not rate someone who had an excellent two years with us, albeit the first in a terrible team, which arguably makes his efforts that season more impressive. IMO you won't find any better on a free and we should sign him to complete our midfield if wages are reasonable.
    For me, the goals glossed over a very ordinary footballer, and a dreadful captain. If all you want to watch is all-action then I guess Bailey's probably going to go some way to doing it for you, but he was an inconsistent passer, a diver and most of all quick to blame everyone else when something went wrong. He had a mixed couple of years with us, never really stepped up when the pressure was on and whilst he did get more than his fair share of goals he really wasn't more than an ok player in a pretty poor team. I'd have Jacko any day of the week over Bailey.
  • Options
    Although he did of course have a great song, so we must get him back...
  • Options

Well, I pointed out that I don't rate him; I gave reasons for why I don't rate him; many others seem to share the same view as me. Then it is suggested that if I say I don't rate him I'm either lying or 'misguided'. I'm not suggesting that finishing 14th = player is rubbish. I have already confirmed that I don't rate him as highly as others.

I did point out that he was in a team with players that did better elsewhere, I merely used the league positioning to demonstrate that he has no experience of being in a team that wins promotion to the Premier League.

Thus if I don't rate him (irrespective as to if you do or not) and he's never been in the playoffs or had the experience of finishing the season in the top two then it is fair to conclude that I can see no reason as to why he would offer us anything that we don't already have. Thus I have to disagree that 'saying Bailey wouldn't improve us is either dishonest or misguided'.
    I'm giving up.
  • Options
    Can we get SEMEDO back too?
  • Options

Can we get SEMEDO back too?

And racon.
  • Options
    I'd have Semedo back, as a squad player!
  • Options

I'd have Semedo back, as a squad player!

I wouldn't have Semedo back in the burger van or even on rotation as a programme seller. And please don't get me started on Racon.

• Options
    Ha ha
  • Options
    id have Racon back if he was our only injured player all season
  • Options

id have Racon back if he was our only injured player all season

Too generous by far..We have all the Frenchmen we need thank you.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If bailey does go millwall, I don't think he will b welcomed! Mrs bailey getting a battering on twitter from scumwall fans
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Is this the 'Sam Baldock' thread of summer 2013???
  • Options
    She's back Queen Bailey's latest tweet exchange with some Charlton and Spanner fans

@QueenBailey1986 tell nicky that its time for him to come home #cafc f*** the missed pen, he was a proper charlton player

@DalTwell @QueenBailey1986We'd be Hippocrates if we didn't forgive him because we're telling Leicester fans to forgive yann #cafc

@shills98 @QueenBailey1986 think he millwall bound mate, real shame

@DalTwell @shills98 @QueenBailey1986 tell your husband to stay away from the den I dont want anymore vermin at #millwall he is a joke

queeny ‏@QueenBailey1986 14m
    @JDToomey @DalTwell @shills98 ad every club has a cock!
  • Options
    Hippocrates? As in the Ancient Greek doctor? Incredible
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You mean you didn't know Hippocrates was a Charlton fan?

• Options
    You know, there's about 50 'do we have any famous Charlton fans?' threads a week and I've always missed his name. Maybe people are getting him mixed up with Gemma Arterton. Easy mistake to make
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Certainly looks like the average supporter in the West Upper.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

cafctom said:

Certainly looks like the average supporter in the West Upper.
    How tall was he?

• Options
    @RichCawleySLP: #Millwall face competition from three other clubs for ex-#cafc midfielder Nicky Bailey, according to @porterSLP. Full story in today's paper
  • Options
    Bailey won't come back to the Valley in a Charlton shirt , 100% nailed on , too much water under the bridge.

The only Baileys you'll see will be on ice in the boardroom at Christmas time.