Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley London or Kent?

Comments

• Options
    mascot88 said:

Coming soon to CL

Greatest Ocean - Atlantic or Pacific?

Bonus point is you get the film reference.

Radio Days Woody Allen
    Well spotted.

One of his best films imho.
  • Options
    Kent.
  • Options
    Surrey
  • Options
    Of course it is Kent
  • Options
    Kent
  • Options

Bexley and Bromley both Kent.

Just a different mindset from these people to Londoners

I live in Bexley but have an SE9 postcode. Am I a stateless person?

As an aside, when registered my daughter's birth, I put my place of birth down as Woolwich and the registrar recorded it as Woolwich, Greenwich. I said that I wasn't born in the Borough of Greenwich but the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich and he said it didn't matter, it was in Greenwich now.
  • Options
    I used to live in SE9, Eltham, Greenwich
  • Options
    As an ex London postie it was always kent London borough but kent postal district
  • Options
    Penge - borough of Bromley, London postcode. Best of both worlds... ;-)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    On the one hand, London is the best city in England.

On the other hand, Kent is one of, if not the, best counties in England.

Best of both if you ask me! Some good beers from both too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Penge is a comedy name. Reminds me of Minge.
  • Options
    Me too... I liked living there though, believe it or not!
  • Options

Agreed. Chin-chin! - Fuller's Chiswick Bitter and Shepherd Neame Master Brew.

• Options
    Wales
  • Options

Surrey

Hahaha. This!
  • Options

Penge is a comedy name. Reminds me of Minge.

Oi was born in penge
  • Options

Bromley is within Greater London, the best city on earth. The other day, on the outskirts of Dartford, I walked past a sign proclaiming 'Welcome to Kent, the Garden of England'. The view was of scrubby wasteland, an oily council depot, a line of pylons, derelict allotments, and an encampment of pikeys.

:-)
    nolly said:

Downham is london as you come very alike to Blue and deptford and mainly made up of those people back in the day along with big irish community but i always see Bromley and Bickley etc as kent as do not share the same history. I went school in Downham my first flat i lived in as a kid was Downham , christened in a Downham Church, my dad is from Downham , sadly lost its charm these days

Downham is north Bromley, it even has the same post code but is part of Lewisham for political reasons.

If you were to drive from central London to Kent as a tourist via Bromley you would assume that you entered Kent when you hit the countryside. You would have no idea that you technically have already entered Kent.

Penge isn't the best of both worlds FFS!!
  • Options

Surrey

I think Palarse consider the Borough as a catchment area, so can't be London.

• Options
    Charlton is more East London than south.........Fact.

Look at a map.
  • Options
    Postcodes are very dated and do not reflect London boundaries. Bromley & Bexley are both in London. The fact that they are London boroughs makes this whole debate fall on its arse.
    In no way is it a subjective thing either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Postcodes are very dated and do not reflect London boundaries. Bromley & Bexley are both in London. The fact that they are London boroughs makes this whole debate fall on its arse.

This.

Really not sure what the debate is here, they both became part of London in 1965. They are as much London as Greenwich for example, which was in Kent up until the latter part of the 19th century. The Kent address exists purely for convenience, would take far too much time and money to make that big a change to the postal service for no apparent gain, other than stupid discussion like this would be less frequent (though probably not eradicated completely).

• Options

Agreed. Chin-chin! - Fuller's Chiswick Bitter and Shepherd Neame Master Brew.

Can't beat the latter mate!
  • Options

PopIcon said:

This.

Really not sure what the debate is here, they both became part of London in 1965. They are as much London as Greenwich for example, which was in Kent up until the latter part of the 19th century. The Kent address exists purely for convenience, would take far too much time and money to make that big a change to the postal service for no apparent gain, other than stupid discussion like this would be less frequent (though probably not eradicated completely).

Ha ha! I pointed out the very simple and incontrovertible distinction between London and Kent about 40 postings ago, and no-one took a blind bit of notice!

• Options

PopIcon said:

This.

Ha ha! I pointed out the very simple and incontrovertible distinction between London and Kent about 40 postings ago, and no-one took a blind bit of notice!

And so did I about 4 years ago, and 3 years ago and 2 years ago...but some people are just thick.
    "I've got a DArtord or BRomley postcode and my address is Kent, so I live in Kent etc...."

It's not about your postcode or postal address it's about your local government, local police and fire brigade etc.and above all boundaries. London is huge, get over it and be proud to live in the greatest city in the world.
  • Options
    Kent for me
  • Options
    It must be Kent otherwise a Bromley address would be Bromley, Kent, London.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

We are currently doing a roll out programme for all post sites in the UK, the PO do not use postcodes for their site locations.
  • Options

Bromley is within Greater London, the best city on earth. The other day, on the outskirts of Dartford, I walked past a sign proclaiming 'Welcome to Kent, the Garden of England'. The view was of scrubby wasteland, an oily council depot, a line of pylons, derelict allotments, and an encampment of pikeys.

:-)
    nolly said:

Downham is london as you come very alike to Blue and deptford and mainly made up of those people back in the day along with big irish community but i always see Bromley and Bickley etc as kent as do not share the same history. I went school in Downham my first flat i lived in as a kid was Downham , christened in a Downham Church, my dad is from Downham , sadly lost its charm these days

Downham is north Bromley, it even has the same post code but is part of Lewisham for political reasons.

If you were to drive from central London to Kent as a tourist via Bromley you would assume that you entered Kent when you hit the countryside. You would have no idea that you technically have already entered Kent.

Penge isn't the best of both worlds FFS!!
    Whoosh...
  • Options
    Biggin Hill and Orpington are in the London Borough of Bromley.

But like Bromley - they're in Kent.

Letters are addressed;

Mr H Irving,
    Irving Towers
    Bromley
    Kent

not,

Mr H Irving,
    Irving Towers
    Bromley
    London
  • Options
    I live in Hayes and I'm definitely closer to Surrey than I am London....