Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley London or Kent?

Comments

• Options
    Bromley in London???? Jesus wept..next you'll be telling me Charlton is in East London!!!
  • Options
    Mottingham, Grove Park, Downham all London. The rest Kent
  • Options
    Sydenham was in Kent....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydenham

and Beckenham is still "in" Kent, hence the cricket ground in Worsley Bridge Road.
  • Options
    ..... I lived in Dorset Road in Mottingham, we had an SE9 postcode, but the local council was Bromley. My shop in Grove Park was a BR postcode, but the local council was Lewisham.
  • Options
    In my simple mind, in this part of the world I've always used the M25 as a rule, so I have never 'classed' Kent as starting until roughly the outer perimeter of Dartford and Orpington
  • Options
    When you enter Kent there is a big sign saying Welcome to Kent. This isn't at the bottom of Shooters Hills, it's on the A2 just before the Crayford/Wilmington turn off, simples.
  • Options
    When i lived in downham whitefoot terrace that was kent but over the road whitefoot Lane was catford London se6
  • Options
    I was born in Bromley hospital ( although I've never actually lived in the town ) and it was most definately Kent in those days, infact it was known as a market town, but as I have related to those willing to listen so many times, I have a memory of my primary school days when the big block of yellow carbolic soap that sat on the sinks in the out side toilets suddenly changed ! What had once had KCC stamped on the top now had GLC in its place.......that was the day I became a south Londoner and I didn't even leave the building ........well other than walk across the playground to the afor mentioned outside Jankers !!
  • Options
    Bromley, like Bexley is in Greater London. They vote for the London Mayor and assembly, are in the Oyster card scheme etc

Culturally, they are in Kent of course, hence from a cricket point of view they are Kent territory.

Whether Bromley is Charlton or Palace territory is harder to say...
  • Options

I lived in the London Borough of Bexley most of my life and now live in Waltham Forest.Interestingly I had the same pub debate about London Borough's boundaries ,Essex and the now defunct Middlesex in my local a couple of nights ago.I live close to the River Lea which was the traditional historic boundary between the counties.

I did pick and choose depending on what was being discussed,I always saw Charlton as a London club and have been impressed at the way we have developed our support networks deep into Kent.Not just Bexley and Bromley but I also see Greenwich and parts of Lewisham as being Kentish London.

For Cricket I took the historic boundary as a guide for my support for the White Horse county when the Oval would have been geographically closer to go to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ye Gods! Riviera, Randy Andy and I have tried to explain to you lot the very simple fact that Bromley is in Greater London and not in Kent. Forget all about postcodes and postal addresses - the only important thing is the administrative boundary.

I have the Ordnance Survey map in front of me. Are we all agreed, at least, that immediately to the west of the London Borough of Bromley lies the London Borough of Croydon? The boundary between the two boroughs runs southwards to a point at the south-eastern extremity of New Addington, where Croydon gives up and the county of Surrey takes over. The boundary between the London Borough of Bromley and Surrey continues south along Skid Hill Lane, then crosses Mollards Wood and skirts Cherry Tree Shaw to a point near the escarpment of the North Downs at Furze Corner.

The boundary then veers in a north-easterly direction along Lusted Hall Lane, between Tatsfield, which is in Surrey, and Biggin Hill, which is in the London Borough of Bromley. At a point in Painter's Wood, Surrey gives out and Kent takes over. We are now heading eastwards along the top of the North Downs, with London on the left and Kent on the right; Berry's Green and Cudham are in London, while Knockholt is in Kent.

The boundary traverses fields and woods, runs along New Years Lane, crosses Rushmore Hill, and meets the old A21 near Pratts Bottom, which is just in London. It then proceeds in a north-easterly direction through Pascalls Wood (Chelsfield is in London, Badger's Mount is in Kent) and along Dalton Road to the B258 at Crockenhill, which is just in Kent. Finally, the boundary of the London Borough of Bromley skirts the western edge of Swanley (Kent), until it meets the London Borough of Bexley on the B2173 at Upper Ruxley.

To sum up: Bromley, Hayes, Keston, Downe, Biggin Hill, Cudham, Chelsfield and Orpington are all in London. Knockholt and Badger's Mount are in Kent - as indeed are Maidstone, Rochester, Canterbury, Margate, Dover, and the very wonderful Isle of Sheppey.
  • Options
    Im in zone 5 of London and live in Bexleyheath. My address is Kent.. Dont know whats going on.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    as far as I'm concerned it's Kent. As is Bexley. just like I class Romford and Dagenham as Essex.
    but all the paperwork has been done and they are officially a part of London, but they never will be in my eyes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I don't know a single person living in Biggin Hill that would call it London. It's about perceptions, not what some administrator tells you it should be.

My father was born and bred in Bath, Somerset. He always refused to accept that Bath became part of Avon as part of some Laocal Government reorganisation.

• Options

Im in zone 5 of London and live in Bexleyheath. My address is Kent.. Dont know whats going on.

Living in Bexleyheath, Sonicstud, you are within London, which notwithstanding Neasden, Willesden and Dollis Hill is the most interesting, beautiful, and historically fascinating city on earth. If you were living in Kent, you would be culturally tied to the burghers of Strood, Sittingbourne and Margate, and the pikeys encamped on the Isle of Sheppey.

• Options

Bromley in London???? Jesus wept..next you'll be telling me Charlton is in East London!!!

It's been explained to you already old son, get your round in and we'll say no more about it!

• Options

It's been explained to you already old son, get your round in and we'll say no more about it!

Fosters?
  • Options
    Isnt it in reference to where the sorting office is rather than the house?

I Just moved from SE9 to DA15, its a 5 miin walk to my old house.
  • Options
    From Wiki, the definative authority on all things

"United Kingdom and Ireland

In Ireland and the United Kingdom, suburb merely refers to a residential area outside the city centre, regardless of administrative boundaries.[5] Suburbs in this sense can be separated by open countryside from the city centre. In large cities such as London, suburbs include formerly separate towns and villages that have been gradually absorbed during a city's growth and expansion, like Ealing or Bromley."
  • Options
    So explain away Biggin Hill being in London then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Biggin Hill , London. My arse.
  • Options
    Ashford, Middlesex
  • Options
    The simple fact is that all you lot who claim Bromley and Biggin Hill are in Kent, are living in the past. The boundaries have changed! I could do the same, and maintain that Greenwich is still in Kent - but then I would have to write these notes to you with a quill pen, smoke a clay pipe, and hobble around in britches, a moth-eaten waistcoat, and a stovepipe hat.
  • Options
    When i was in junior school in Petts Wood we also had Kent county council on our yellow soap and gypsy tart was only given to Kent school children. my favourite. i think Kent.
  • Options
    Gatwick is in London.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

So explain away Biggin Hill being in London then.

South East London

Greenwich, Charlton, Woolwich, Plumstead, Lewisham, Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Eltham, Hither Green, Lee, Mottingham

Greater London

Belvedere, Erith, Welling, Bexley, Crayford, Bexleyheath, Sidcup, Chislehurst Bromley, Beckenham, Orpington, Petts Wood, Biggin Hill Dartford etc

Kent - Other side of Dartford / M25.

FACT

END DISCUSSION

CLOSE THREAD

THIS

• Options
    FAO STIG
  • Options
    Biggin Hill is in Kent, there's a welcome to Kent sign nearby.
  • Options
    Incredibly dull and pointless debate but I still find myself pathologically incapable of not contributing: Kent.
  • Options
    You lot still doing this