Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley London or Kent?

Comments

• Options
    Wriggs Bottom was where the dip is in the village near the station. Later on the village took the name of the heath next door.
  • Options
    lo fi said:

Bromley, like Bexley is in Greater London. They vote for the London Mayor and assembly, are in the Oyster card scheme etc

Culturally, they are in Kent of course, hence from a cricket point of view they are Kent territory.

Whether Bromley is Charlton or Palace territory is harder to say...

I used to live in Bromley and always considered it 'enemy territory' as there were so many more stripy nigel twats than addicks.
    Yes, watching Kent play at Beckenham, it was painful walking past the Palace training ground!

Charlton itself is former Kent territory, but it was a long time ago so it would seem odd to start singing

"number one, number one, number one in Kent"
  • Options
    A number of Lifers have become exasperated with the futility of this discussion, but students and academics in the field of social geography would find all of our contributions fascinating. There's an interesting concept called 'mental mapping', which deals with the perception of distance, cultural affiliations, sporting allegiances, and various aspects that can't easily be defined on a map.

I loved Ashaddicks memory of carbolic soap in the school khazi stamped with the new council initials, and Rina's outdated KCC school cutlery in Barnehurst. Also, Mosscat's junior school in Petts Wood, where gypsy tart was given only to the kids from Kent. A social geographer or historian would have a field day with all this fantastic raw material.
  • Options
    The answer, like in Charlton's case, is both!
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

I wouldn't know about Wriggs Bottom ( especially as it is high ) but Blackheath was the meeting point for Wat Tyler's Kentish peasants revolt because it was close to London but still in Kent at the time, as was the village of Charlton. By coincidence Kent now starts ( officially ) very close to Badgers Mount and even stranger when I moved from London I ended up living very close to Lynsore Bottom.......And no I don't have a fetish

Lynsore Bottom - love it! There's a village in Worcestershire called Wyre Piddle.

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Bromley FC's badge contains a White Horse, the official symbol of KENT.

CASE CLOSED

So does Welling's and they're in the London Borough of Bexley.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

CASE CLOSED

So does Welling's and they're in the London Borough of Bexley.</blockquote
    You out in gib delight

• Options
    Wellings one has wings doesnt it?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

CASE CLOSED

So does FC Twente's, are they in Kent as well?

• Options
    But Bromley FC were formed in 1892 when it was most definitely in Kent
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But Bromley FC were formed in 1892 when it was most definitely in Kent

Still is ;0)

• Options
    C_A_F_C said:

The Pride of Cantiaci

"Of all these (British tribes), by far the most civilised are they who dwell in Kent, which is entirely a maritime region, and who differ but little from the Gauls in their customs". Julius Cesar

So who is Obelix and does that make AFKA Asterix?

• Options
    Bromley Council approve plans to extend the Docklands Light Railway to Bromley.

Seems Bromley is in Docklands now. Inner city ghetto, innit ; - )
  • Options

Ha ha! Source? Seriously, Henry, I'd like to read more about the plans; is there an article you can direct me to?

• Options
    Would be a complete waste of money IMO.
  • Options

Ha ha! Source? Seriously, Henry, I'd like to read more about the plans; is there an article you can direct me to?

Was in the Bromley Times that comes free through the letter box. Still need to find the £800m to fund it but would bring the DLR from Lewisham to Bromley Nth via Grove Park and Sundridge Park.

Would be a good investment and improve links between the biggest London borough and the City/Docklands
  • Options
    Not sure why we need the DLR out to Kent ;0)
  • Options

Not sure why we need the DLR out to Kent ;0)

The plan is to extend it to Bromley, not in to Kent!

• Options
    So where does Kent end And London begin?
  • Options
    Badger said:

So where does Kent end And London begin?

You are joking, of course.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Swanley is in London?

Swanley (BR8) is definitely Kent. Although I believe even a small area of BR8 falls into London.
  • Options

Swanley is in London?

Swanley (BR8) is definitely Kent. Although I believe even a small area of BR8 falls into London.
    I have just checked on the Greater London street atlas published by Geographia - you are quite correct: the western edge of BR8, which covers Swanley, does indeed intrude on Greater London. This area comprises mostly fields and woods, and Crouch Farm on the Crockenhill Road, and Hockendon near the north end of the by-pass.

• Options
    Real Londoners and by that I mean live in real London Boroughs would laugh at the possibility that Bromley or Bexley for that matter are in London. Bromley and Bexyley et al are just London wannabes.
  • Options

Real Londoners and by that I mean live in real London Boroughs would laugh at the possibility that Bromley or Bexley for that matter are in London. Bromley and Bexyley et al are just London wannabes.

as in The London Borough of Bexley?

• Options
    Or the London Borough of Bromley.
  • Options
    This debate turned into some sort of masturbatory experience for pedants long ago.
  • Options

This debate turned into some sort of masturbatory experience for pedants long ago.

So - What's not to like...?

• Options
    Swanley councillors are part of Sevenoaks District Council
  • Options

Was in the Bromley Times that comes free through the letter box. Still need to find the £800m to fund it but would bring the DLR from Lewisham to Bromley Nth via Grove Park and Sundridge Park.
    Oh great.

Brace yourself for Henry's next round of auctions people.....
  • Options
    edited July 2013

One hand on their old chap, the other pushing their glasses back on their nose.

Their club motto "i think you'll find"