Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bromley London or Kent?

Comments

• Options

Addickted said:

So explain away Biggin Hill being in London then.

South East London

Greenwich, Charlton, Woolwich, Plumstead, Lewisham, Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Eltham, Hither Green, Lee, Mottingham

Greater London

Belvedere, Erith, Welling, Bexley, Crayford, Bexleyheath, Sidcup, Chislehurst Bromley, Beckenham, Orpington, Petts Wood, Biggin Hill Dartford etc

Kent - Other side of Dartford / M25.

FACT

END DISCUSSION

CLOSE THREAD

THIS

Alas, not quite right, AFKA! Dartford is not in Greater London - it's in Kent. I've got the map in front of me now. Proceeding northwards, the boundary shuffles through Joyden's Wood, crosses the Rochester Way between the settlements of Maypole and Coldblow (sorry to use a name redolent of our friends the Spanners!), skirts the eastern edge of Crayford, and follows the Stanham River to the Cray, the Darent, and finally the Thames.

In response to Friend Or Defoe, who asserts: "Biggin Hill is in Kent, there's a welcome to Kent sign nearby." The Welcome to Kent sign is, unsurprisingly, on the border of Kent, which is a couple of miles south of Biggin Hill (which is in London), at Hawley's Corner, on Westerham Hill.

• Options

Addickted said:

South East London

Greenwich, Charlton, Woolwich, Plumstead, Lewisham, Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Eltham,[Not forgetting New Eltham] Hither Green, Lee, Mottingham

Greater London

Belvedere, Erith, Welling, Bexley, Crayford, Bexleyheath, Sidcup, Chislehurst Bromley, Beckenham, Orpington, Petts Wood, Biggin Hill Dartford etc

FACT

END DISCUSSION

CLOSE THREAD

THIS

• Options
    edited July 2013
  • Options
  • Options
    Swanley is in London?
  • Options
    Too hot today for anoraks chaps.
  • Options
    The text on that link includes the following gem: "How to get to Bromley - If you are thinking about travelling to Bromley by public transport, the nearest railway station is Sundridge Park." Er... What about Bromley North and Bromley South? Shurely shome mishtake.

• Options
    I can't wait for the season to start!
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

I was born in Bromley hospital ( although I've never actually lived in the town ) and it was most definately Kent in those days, infact it was known as a market town, but as I have related to those willing to listen so many times, I have a memory of my primary school days when the big block of yellow carbolic soap that sat on the sinks in the out side toilets suddenly changed ! What had once had KCC stamped on the top now had GLC in its place.......that was the day I became a south Londoner and I didn't even leave the building ........well other than walk across the playground to the afor mentioned outside Jankers !!

at primary school in barnehurst most of our cutlery still had KCC stamped on it 14+ years after the london borough of bexley was created. I guess that carbolic soap is replaced more often than spoons

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The simple fact is that all you lot who claim Bromley and Biggin Hill are in Kent, are living in the past. The boundaries have changed! I could do the same, and maintain that Greenwich is still in Kent - but then I would have to write these notes to you with a quill pen, smoke a clay pipe, and hobble around in britches, a moth-eaten waistcoat, and a stovepipe hat.

Biggin Hill is in Kent.

Don't care what you say or some Government Mandarin who thinks they know best.

I will continue to post my letters to my relatives in Biggin Hill, with Kent on the envelope.

And surprise, surprise, they always get them.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Addickted said:

South East London

Greenwich, Charlton, Woolwich, Plumstead, Lewisham, Blackheath, Kidbrooke, Eltham, Hither Green, Lee, Mottingham

Greater London

FACT

END DISCUSSION

CLOSE THREAD

THIS

So it's 'Greater London' now? Talk about changing the goalposts.

I won't accept these places not being in Kent until it's on the OS.

• Options
    You can send a letter to someone with just the house number and post code on it. So if I wanted to I could probably put Newcastle in the address and still get it, although it'd probably confuse some poor postie.
  • Options

On the one hand, London is the best city in England.

On the other hand, Kent is one of, if not the, best counties in England.

Best of both if you ask me! Some good beers from both too!

Agreed. Chin-chin! - Fuller's Chiswick Bitter and Shepherd Neame Master Brew.

Can't beat the latter mate!
    Addickted said:

The simple fact is that all you lot who claim Bromley and Biggin Hill are in Kent, are living in the past. The boundaries have changed! I could do the same, and maintain that Greenwich is still in Kent - but then I would have to write these notes to you with a quill pen, smoke a clay pipe, and hobble around in britches, a moth-eaten waistcoat, and a stovepipe hat.

Biggin Hill is in Kent.

Don't care what you say or some Government Mandarin who thinks they know best.

I will continue to post my letters to my relatives in Biggin Hill, with Kent on the envelope.

And surprise, surprise, they always get them.

People still send letters? That's the most interesting thing I've learnt about this thread!
  • Options
    Postal chess and Birthday Cards
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Postal chess and Birthday Cards

Or in your case begging letters
  • Options
    My wife says there are a lot of kents in London- she has a very posh voice
  • Options

From Wiki, the definative authority on all things

"United Kingdom and Ireland

In Ireland and the United Kingdom, suburb merely refers to a residential area outside the city centre, regardless of administrative boundaries.[5] Suburbs in this sense can be separated by open countryside from the city centre. In large cities such as London, suburbs include formerly separate towns and villages that have been gradually absorbed during a city's growth and expansion, like Ealing or Bromley."

Also from the very learned Professor Wiki: "Biggin Hill is a town in the London Borough of Bromley."

"In 1965, London County Council was abolished and replaced by Greater London Council, with an expanded administrative area that took in the metropolitan parts of the Home Counties. It [Biggin Hill] is now part of the London Borough of Bromley."

The Ordnance Survey, which should be considered the definitive authority on these matters, confirms this. Addresses approved by the Royal Mail don't necessarily have any bearing on geographical facts. It's a bit like saying that because someone lives in Cloud-Cuckoo Land, he can't possibly live in Bexleyheath.

• Options

Addickted said:

South East London

Greater London

FACT

END DISCUSSION

CLOSE THREAD

THIS

NO part of Dartford has ever been and never will be in Greater London, AFKA !!

Too much sun or too many hops ?

(smiley face)

• Options
    So I'm a Londoner after all? What is the differene between a "Man of Kent" and a "Kentish man"??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So I'm a Londoner after all? What is the differene between a "Man of Kent" and a "Kentish man"??

This distinction may date back 1500 years to the Saxons and the Jutes. Traditionally, those born to the east of the Medway are Men of Kent, while those born west of the river are Kentish Men.

• Options
    Bromley FC's badge contains a White Horse, the official symbol of KENT.

CASE CLOSED
  • Options
    London stops after Greenwich and Lewisham. Charlton is nearly Kent. You lot are barmy.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Bromley FC's badge contains a White Horse, the official symbol of KENT.

CASE CLOSED

Are Charlton from the City of London then? ;)
  • Options
    The Pride of Cantiaci

"Of all these (British tribes), by far the most civilised are they who dwell in Kent, which is entirely a maritime region, and who differ but little from the Gauls in their customs". Julius Cesar
  • Options

Bromley, like Bexley is in Greater London. They vote for the London Mayor and assembly, are in the Oyster card scheme etc

Culturally, they are in Kent of course, hence from a cricket point of view they are Kent territory.

Whether Bromley is Charlton or Palace territory is harder to say...

I used to live in Bromley and always considered it 'enemy territory' as there were so many more stripy nigel twats than addicks.
  • Options
    This as has been said by many a rather silly discussion, boundaries change all the time indeed the original bounty of Kent in the north would have been the river Thames but as London grew the borders of all the shire counties that surround were moved back. I was definitely born a Kentishman but thanks to the introduction of the GLC became a south Londoner ........the strange thing is the house I grew up in was still surrounded by crop fields, woods and wide open spaces ..most un London like .....and whose ever heard of a part of London with a name like Locksbottom ( or its neighbour Pratts Bottom ) anyway ?
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

This as has been said by many a rather silly discussion, boundaries change all the time indeed the original bounty of Kent in the north would have been the river Thames but as London grew the borders of all the shire counties that surround were moved back. I was definitely born a Kentishman but thanks to the introduction of the GLC became a south Londoner ........the strange thing is the house I grew up in was still surrounded by crop fields, woods and wide open spaces ..most un London like .....and whose ever heard of a part of London with a name like Locksbottom ( or its neighbour Pratts Bottom ) anyway ?

Locksbottom, Pratts Bottom - and don't forget there's a village next door called Badger's Mount. What on earth goes on down there?

• Options
    Blackheath used to be called Wriggs Bottom or something similar.

Bottom meant a low lying or marshy area. It only came to be used as a slang word for the derrière more recently (in the 1800s)
  • Options
    I wouldn't know about Wriggs Bottom ( especially as it is high ) but Blackheath was the meeting point for Wat Tyler's Kentish peasants revolt because it was close to London but still in Kent at the time, as was the village of Charlton. By coincidence Kent now starts ( officially ) very close to Badgers Mount and even stranger when I moved from London I ended up living very close to Lynsore Bottom.......And no I don't have a fetish