Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Froch v Groves

Comments

• Options
    Any clips of the knockout?
  • Options
  • Options
    Not my clip btw
  • Options
    Nice.
  • Options
    Good punch but Groves left himself open.
  • Options
    I might have gone over the top, he fought a faded but still dangerous taylor and abraham

For me calzaghes defining fight was lacey who he dismantled and while lucien bute was probably the same craggy faced home padded type of fighter, froch demolished him

Theres a few people in boxing, people who know boxing will always pay money to watch

George Groves can put himself in that list now along with John Murray, Derry Matthews, carl Froch, Ricky Hatton, Jason Booth, Miguel Cotto, enzo maccarinelli and kevin Mitchell. He will always sell tickets

Both me showed class in the aftermath too

• Options
    Carter said:

For me calzaghes defining fight was lacey who he dismantled and while lucien bute was probably the same craggy faced home padded type of fighter, froch demolished him

Think the same. ..lacy was a big deal in the US at the time. That fight was a masterclass.

but he followed it up with Bika and Manfredo JR. Bika tough as nails but could never box and PM.jr was off a tv show. As follow ups go, thats 2 tomato cans. He also fought 2 legends on zimmerframes and Hopkins beat him IMO.

Carl had nothing to gain in the last 2 fights except respect. massive parallel with JC saying carl didnt warrant a fight with his record. Carl could have said similar..but he didnt, he put it on the line.

Would love to see him go out v Ward. He belongs at that level...dirrell (although AD won that fight IMO), taylor, abraham...that is a world elite career.
  • Options
    The charltonlife boxing experts, post Nolly are a bit of a embarrassment tbh. Bout was only ever going one wAy despite what Carl's eyes might have told some folk. Hilarious nonsense.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gutted, just got back from the fight..wasnt upto the hype
  • Options
    Carter said:

Tell you what

Who else is enjoying having a proper big fight and all the nonsense that surrounds it to look forward to?

Brings all the mickey mouse boxing fans out, gets pubs showing fights with lock ins, gets all us idiots who think we know what we're talking about excited. Oooooh ya

All the clons that tipped groves cos sky told them so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was on Froch by Knockout at 13/8 but no I don't claim to be a boxing expert before anyone asks!!!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

For the love of god when will sky get rid of Jim WTF? He spent the whole fight hanging out of Froch's arse. Even Froch admitted Groves was ahead to start with yet Jimbo only had him winning one round , utter clown shoes.

Ridiculous. Frotch didn't say that at all.
  • Options
    Nolly is an expert because he has been there and done it. I'm a veteran of st marys gym and pub fights.

He fought dean francis! Ffs nobody on here can better that knowledge of the sport

Mortermerican make what you will of my nonsense but I've watched either live or on the box nearly all of both of them guys in the ring tonight's fights. Paul smith and johnny nelson didn't sway me. And for what its worth speed beats power and groves has speed. I'd probably back groves again if they fought again

I think what @buckshee‌ was saying is that froch agreed it was anyones fight until he landed a punch to dine out for a lifetime from. And I mean that with no disrespect to carl froch

• Options
    "Froch looks knackered". My words to my mate literally half a second before Groves got sent into 2020. I know nothing about boxing but love watching it. First time in years that me and my mates got a curry and beers in to watch a fight. Not disappointed and absolute respect to Froch in his interview after as well. Just gutted it's not on mainstream tv these days. Last time I was that excited was McGuigan v Pedrosa. Nice to see it back in the big time again.
  • Options

buckshee said:

For the love of god when will sky get rid of Jim WTF? He spent the whole fight hanging out of Froch's arse. Even Froch admitted Groves was ahead to start with yet Jimbo only had him winning one round , utter clown shoes.

Agree 100%. It's fashionable to slag commentators but Jim Watt is an expert in my opinion. He called it right through the fight, unlike Amir Khan who was either giving a biased view about Groves' performance when asked or wasn't watching the fight.
  • Options
    I also miss Nolly's viewpoint.
  • Options
    Personally appreciate the views of people such as Carter on his thread. As least they explain why they think someone is going to win rather than 'fancy him to do it'

If they were always right, they wouldn't be posting on here in first place but would be watching the fightsfrom their own paradise islands having made their millions.
  • Options
    I think that punch was a champion's punch. Froch is a great champion. Groves troubled him in the first fight and proved himself worthy of respect, but Froch has that something a champion has in his locker. I fully expected that result.
  • Options
    Had a dream last night that @Buckshee won a £180k bet on the fight.

Weird
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Had a dream last night that @Buckshee won a £180k bet on the fight.

Weird

Stop eating the cheese.
  • Options

The charltonlife boxing experts, post Nolly are a bit of a embarrassment tbh. Bout was only ever going one wAy despite what Carl's eyes might have told some folk. Hilarious nonsense.

Yeah god forbid anyone have an opinion. I take you've never got anything wrong then, win your accumulators every week?

Great win for Froch. That punch came at a time when I thought Groves was just starting to take control, finding his range and landing his left regularly. Like others have said, that shot would have KOed almost anybody.

I think Froch will fight one last time, probably in Vegas, and I don't think it will be against Andre Ward.

Groves will be back, will probably have a couple of easier fights to get his confidence back before he and Degale eventually end up fighting for one of Froch's vacated belts.

• Options
    Chelsea boys taking a beating since '88.
  • Options
    Watched the fight in the early hours of the morning, having been at the Ireland/Italy game last night.

A very cagey and technical affair, which seemed to upset a few of those at Wembley. If you go for a record crowd though, your percentage of drunken idiots (I passed a load on the Underground at Green Park at 4pm who were all swigging from cans and who were already off their faces - blokes & girls - and then again on the way home) is going to be that much higher.

They were wary of each other, but I felt that Froch was edging it ahead of that fantastic knock-out right. Perfect punch, landing right on the button. No controversy this time and good to see both men, at ringside interview afterwards, leave the hyped up animosity to one side.

A Vegas finale v Chavez Jr would be superb for Froch.
  • Options
    Never been to a boxing event as big as that before and really enjoyed it. Always liked Froch as he doesn't back down from a challenge and to be fair has had some right wars and come out on top. But I also like Groves so was quite split in who I wanted to win.

Longer the fight went on the more it was Froch's for the taking I felt, unless he is on the floor, Froch is dangerous.

Stats say Groves threw and landed more but 2 judges had Froch on points by the time of the KO.

Great punch to win a fight infront of 80,000 though.

Hope this doesn't de-rail Groves but gives him the hunger to improve.

As for Froch, a 2 year older Froch from their last fight is never going to beat Ward, so to see him lose that would be a shame. Mind you as soon as his eyes see the ££ then who knows what he will do.
  • Options
    Can't remember the last time I sat and watched a fight. Went to a BBQ yesterday and just after 9:30 all the guys were disappearing into the living room to watch this, so thought I'd join them. Decided (for no reason) to cheer on Groves..................until I saw that chelsea badge on his top, so opted for Froch instead.

Thought Groves was out of his depth in this fight. He landed a couple of decent shots, but nothing to cause any problems and was constantly on the back-foot (is that his usual style?)

Walked out of the living room £50 to the good though. Some young lad there was banging on and showing his bettng slips, how he'd covered all the angles to make a killing from the bookies (they never learn). He'd bet a total of £50, so I bet him the same amount that he wouldn't even re-coup his stake. The cocky little so-and-so snapped my hand off.

The grand total of his winnings was............................£0.

Rather than feeling guilty of fleecing him for another fifty, I looked at it as teaching him a lesson in life that betting is a mugs game..............
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Froch Kessler 1 - Froch started slowly thinking he would get him with power at the end - didn't work. Froch Kessler 2 - all out from the bell knowing now that he could take Kessler's punches and would out slug him - did work.

Froch Groves 1 - all out war and Froch felt Groves power but he also learned that Groves under pressure would not be able to take too much punishment when running out of steam (yes it was stopped prematurely but most would agree Froch would have got a stoppage eventually). Froch Groves 2 - Froch knew of George's power now, and speed, so didn't take too many chances early. Never really in danger and turned it on later in the fight, albeit with Groves still boxing well.

Both doubles of fights almost mirror images which shows the learning ability of Froch. Not the greatest Brit of all-time but up there now and his legacy is assured.

I'll also admit that I got it wrong calling it for Groves, believing that Froch was on a downward trend. I've followed boxing live at all levels from schoolboys to World title bouts and the great thing about the imperious sport of boxing is its unpredictability.
  • Options

buckshee said:

Agree 100%. It's fashionable to slag commentators but Jim Watt is an expert in my opinion. He called it right through the fight, unlike Amir Khan who was either giving a biased view about Groves' performance when asked or wasn't watching the fight.
    Have you seen Jim Watt cover many fights? The man is an embarrassment. Picks one fighter (the home fighter) at the start and only praises and gives rounds to him.

Saying that, he wasn't too bad last night.
  • Options
    Agree about Watt to a certain extent, but really have to wonder what Khan was on. Really couldn't see how he was giving it all to Groves, so he wins the blinkers award for last night! :)
  • Options
    Shocking defence by Groves for the knock out. Hands up, move forward and grab or just move, was a sitting target with his hand down by his legs.
    That punch will haunt him forever and I doubt he will come back as good.