Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wiggins to be sold?

Comments

• Options

AB wouldn't throw it out there if there wasn't any truth to it. Sometimes I despair.

The same AB who last year said we'd be lucky to finish the season with the same manager, squad and finish 21st.
    Stig said:

What guff was that Stu? Might this not be a goer then?

As above.
    That wasn't what was said though Stu. He said he would be happy with those things, completely different.

If you're gonna do an Offy and needlessly target him, at least get it right mate :-)

• Options
    I'm not sure the two things are so different, having not read the quote for a year, I got it slightly wrong.

However as he worked for the club at the time (I believe) then there must have been some inside info to make that kind of statement.

There must also be some inside info to know we are trying to sell Wiggins.

I also don't think it's needlessly targeting him when this is a thread about a rumour he started.
  • Options
    Is there the chance that RW has already advised CP that he has no intention of signing a new contract and will be walking away at the end of the season. If that's the case we should cash in now.
  • Options
    Maybe, just maybe, some answers ?

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial
    PRESS DAY: It's the first #PressDay of the season at Sparrows Lane. The gaffer is due to speak with the media from around 10.15. (IL) #cafc
  • Options

I can't help thinking that Wiggins out (and Evina in at left back) is no massive disaster. IF that would allow Sordell and say Obika to come in. A championship club doesnt really need two top full backs (for this level) and it is a bit of a luxury. Evina having a full season as first choice LB would make him an even better player. Having a youth player moving up the ranks such as Fox is what most Championship clubs would have as a back up full back.

Agreed, we have a ready made replacement in Ceddy and even if he doesn't step up to the plate, it's much easier to replace a defender than sign a decent forward. I would hate to see Wiggy go, but if it allows a couple of decent forwards to sign then so be it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Would be pissed off if we sold him, Great player and would be a massive loss. Evina is ok but no where in the same class as Wiggins. Maybe we sold Button to raise funds for Sordell coming in.
  • Options
    NWCorner said:

Perhaps Rhoys being sold was an option but now David Button has been sold that might have helped finance a deal for Sordell. I doubt very much that Powelly will want to sell Rhoys so I can't see that happening myself.

Agreed again, Button leaving seemed to be a very swift deal after Brentford lost their main keeper, hopefully the money went towards the Sordell loan.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

AB wouldn't throw it out there if there wasn't any truth to it. Sometimes I despair.

The same AB who last year said we'd be lucky to finish the season with the same manager, squad and finish 21st.
    Stig said:

What guff was that Stu? Might this not be a goer then?

As above.
    If Airman did say that, then in many ways he was proved right.

• Options
    Button and smith funds freed for fuller imo

Sordell financed by another means
  • Options
    Right... Everyone back to panicking then! Me-il be sitting in the corner sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth to the tune of 'mad world'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As AFKA pointed out, he said something similar.

How exactly was he proved right? We finished 9th, with CP and the same, if not better squad.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I'm not sure the two things are so different, having not read the quote for a year, I got it slightly wrong.

However as he worked for the club at the time (I believe) then there must have been some inside info to make that kind of statement.

There must also be some inside info to know we are trying to sell Wiggins.

I also don't think it's needlessly targeting him when this is a thread about a rumour he started.

They are very different and the context was people demanding player purchases to enable us to compete and others saying we shouldn't spend money we didn't have - whereas my point was that this was necessary in any event because the club could not break even, but based on where we were (no signings) I would be happy to stay up, etc. It was never a prediction.

I will be delighted if we don't sell Wiggins or anyone else, and even more so if putting the possibility in the public domain helps reduce the likelihood. In the meantime if people want to kick me then so be it, I'll either be proven right that they will sell or there will be a better outcome for the club.
  • Options
    How much is Wiggins worth?
  • Options
    Lots of conclusions for a Rumours thread!
  • Options

How exactly was he proved right? We finished 9th, with CP and the same, if not better squad.
    But apart from that
  • Options

How much is Wiggins worth?

A lot less now we're apparently looking to sell.
  • Options
    Would be very sorry to see Wiggins go - he is far more solid, effective and experienced than Evina; better bombing forward, too. Selling Wiggins to finance Sordell on loan is a dangerous gamble. Surely someone will buy Stephens instead?
  • Options
    Wont happen.
  • Options
    Never say never
  • Options

He was proved right. Airman said he would "be happy" if we could end the season with that. It seemed pretty clear that on at least one maybe two occasions during the course of last season, Powell was relatively close to the boot. In addition, the squad we ended last season with was pretty much what we began with, with the exception of a couple of loan additions. I.e., we didn't really make any major purchases. The only bit he arguably got "wrong" was in underestimating Powell / the squad's ability to overperform and finish higher up the table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We need money to make any half decent signings. We have no money, therefore we HAVE to raise it by sales. It's not pleasant but it happens. Of all our assets with decent value, it's going to be Solly or Wiggins who would bring in the most money, and of the two if you forced me to choose, it would be Wiggins who went. Evina is at the very least serviceable at LB, and potentially very good indeed. Solly goes, and our next choice right back is.... drum roll... Lawrie Wilson, who for all his merits has never shone in that position.

Of course I would rather we didn't have to sell at all, but unless we get bought by some ludicrously rich new owner within a week, it ain't going to happen.
  • Options
    Proved right, proved wrong? who cares, at least he had a smile on his face at the end of the season like most of us. I predicted similar to be honest.
  • Options

He was proved right. Airman said he would "be happy" if we could end the season with that. It seemed pretty clear that on at least one maybe two occasions during the course of last season, Powell was relatively close to the boot. In addition, the squad we ended last season with was pretty much what we began with, with the exception of a couple of loan additions. I.e., we didn't really make any major purchases. The only bit he arguably got "wrong" was in underestimating Powell / the squad's ability to overperform and finish higher up the table.

In my opinion, the way it was said indicated AB believed we would be unable to keep CP, the squad or finish above 21st. We managed all of those things and more, making him, in my opinion, wrong.

I'm also not sure how it was ever pretty clear Powell was close to the boot.
  • Options
    Strange timing, surely back in May we knew what our budget would be, and who might need to be sold to raise money for player purchases?
  • Options

Strange timing, surely back in May we knew what our budget would be, and who might need to be sold to raise money for player purchases?

I agree, but they have been trying to sell the club and you have to have a buyer as well as a seller for both transactions. As highlighted by others, a lot of transfer deals get done in August.

• Options
    If true then I'd rather we were selling players to buy players rather than loan them in.

Selling Wiggins to buy Sordell would be a good move on the basis that Wiggins is out of contract soon and is clearly on his way up, while Sordell has talent but hasn't adapated to life up north.

Sadly we can't keep every player we have at the club at least with Wiggins we have Evina and Fox coming through, so it's one position where we have some depth.
  • Options
    Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.

And most likely to go to one of our championship 'rivals'
  • Options
    Selling one of our best players isn't a good thing. Having very good full backs makes a huge difference.

It's only not a big deal if Evina improves as a player from a run of games.
  • Options
    is this about wiggins or last yr

stu pal I respect your opinion and I agree in part on some of what you say but let it go now pal I keep seeing the count go up and expect to read he has gone
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!