Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wiggins to be sold?

Comments

• Options

rikofold said:

If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.

Now it seems the same board may be starting to dismantle this squad and asking SCP to continue to succeed with those he brought in as second choices.
    How exactly have they started to dismantle the squad?? The only suggestion that Wiggins is to be sold has come from someone who quite clearly hates the current board.
    This.

There is no concrete evidence that one player is gonna be sold, yet people are already waving their white flags.
    Why is this a thread in its own right and not part of the rumours one? Fair enough if and when it comes true but it strikes me as just more speculation

• Options
    I do laugh when people say how the money's used. We lose between 5-8 million a season. What fooking money? Oh I'll sell this player, but pocket the cash whilst we still owe me or some other plonker I got to loan to us.

How dare they spend no money, when they've financed us somehow to well over 10 million. That's a contradiction.

• Options
    it wont happen end of story
  • Options
    Rhoys Wiggins has the ability to play in the Premier League....and he can do that with us.

Please God, NO SALE!!
  • Options

rikofold said:

If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.

Now it seems the same board may be starting to dismantle this squad and asking SCP to continue to succeed with those he brought in as second choices.
    How exactly have they started to dismantle the squad?? The only suggestion that Wiggins is to be sold has come from someone who quite clearly hates the current board.
    This.

There is no concrete evidence that one player is gonna be sold, yet people are already waving their white flags.
    Why is this a thread in its own right and not part of the rumours one? Fair enough if and when it comes true but it strikes me as just more speculation

Because AB said it and we all know on Charlton Life his word is gospel despite him basically being formerly in charge of the ticket office and not chief executive.

No doubt he's heard something and good on him for sharing what he's heard, but a few people need to take a deep breath and ask themselves why he would have any better inside knowledge than a number of other people on this site. After all he's now just a fan with a few a friends working at the club and its pretty clear very few of those friends are in high places.
  • Options
    I made a new thread because people were taking the Sordell thread off piste with the comments.

And it is in the rumours category.
  • Options

rikofold said:

This.

Because AB said it and we all know on Charlton Life his word is gospel despite him basically being formerly in charge of the ticket office and not chief executive.

No doubt he's heard something and good on him for sharing what he's heard, but a few people need to take a deep breath and ask themselves why he would have any better inside knowledge than a number of other people on this site. After all he's now just a fan with a few a friends working at the club and its pretty clear very few of those friends are in high places.
    Then again they might realise that I worked for ten years as a journalist covering Charlton on a day to day basis and ran the club's communications for five years after that, working directly with successive boards for almost 25 years in total, and think as a consequence I have good contacts and know the difference between a rumour and a story with a reliable source. Eh?
  • Options
    Rick, really don't think you need to justify yourself. Those of us that know or know of you and your committed, passionate association with our club know that your insights can be wholly trusted. My take on the Wiggins situation would simply be that some funds need to be raised and that one of our few saleable assets may have to be sold to contribute to covering costs and any other team investment. Would I rather it be Solly or Wiggins, Wiggins, but only by virtue of the fact that I think that an extended run of games at Championship level will help illustrate that CE is more than capable at this level, whilst I think that Solly's natural replacement Wilson plays better a little further forward and so it would weaken us more.
  • Options
    Don't think Rick is making a statement on the rights or wrongs of any possible sale of any of our assets is he ? I thought he was informing us that he has reliably learned that there is genuine interest in Rhoys Wiggins and the club are listening. I don't see why people think that Rick is having a pop at anyone.
  • Options
    Can we recap how airman brown left Charlton. Why then would anyone valuing their job speak to him on really hot topics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can we recap how airman brown left Charlton. Why then would anyone valuing their job speak to him on really hot topics.

Except, as he has mentioned numerous times, the reasons given for his departure were nothing to do with postings on Charlton Life

• Options
    I speak regularly to a bloke who was sacked unfairly for GM at my place of work.
  • Options

Don't think Rick is making a statement on the rights or wrongs of any possible sale of any of our assets is he ? I thought he was informing us that he has reliably learned that there is genuine interest in Rhoys Wiggins and the club are listening. I don't see why people think that Rick is having a pop at anyone.

I think it was more of the timing SHG.

No less that 12 hours after the club announced two good signings, the fans are upbeat, AB tells us speculation of one of our best players being sold, it just felt like he was pissing on everyone's cornflakes.
  • Options

Rick can answer for himself but perhaps not all current employees or contacts he has agree with why he left his post.

• Options
    Pissy cornflakes sums it up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

No less that 12 hours after the club announced two good signings, the fans are upbeat, AB tells us speculation of one of our best players being sold, it just felt like he was pissing on everyone's cornflakes.
    This isn't even true, though, is it? I posted about Wiggins well before the club had announced the signings. I haven't, as SHG pointed out, even said I disagree with it. I applaud the signings, but I do think it's unrealistic to imagine that the serious problems within the club, e.g. player contracts, and substantial and growing debt, which we can all agree exist, have disappeared because we've made a very good loan signing and picked up a free transfer.

I get a bit weary of the line that it's all about me being sacked. In the last 12 months or just over, Peter Varney, Steve Kavanagh, Wendy Perfect, Helen Reed and now Matt Wright have all left their jobs with no replacement work lined up after being on the staff in relatively senior positions there for more than ten years. I submit that amounts to more than one bloke being sacked on grounds that people don't even know about and wanting to have a pop.

I'd advise seeing if the club goes to the tribunal, if it wins and what it's all about before assuming that CAFC are reasonable employers pursuing a legitimate and proportionate complaint. Just as I'd advise judging the squad on the players here at the end of the transfer window, rather than on one loan and one free transfer signing.
  • Options

This isn't even true, though, is it? I posted about Wiggins well before the club had announced the signings. I haven't, as SHG pointed out, even said I disagree with it. I applaud the signings, but I do think it's unrealistic to imagine that the serious problems within the club, e.g. player contracts, and substantial and growing debt, which we can all agree exist, have disappeared because we've made a very good loan signing and picked up a free transfer.

I get a bit weary of the line that it's all about me being sacked. In the last 12 months or just over, Peter Varney, Steve Kavanagh, Wendy Perfect, Helen Reed and now Matt Wright have all left their jobs with no replacement work lined up after being on the staff in relatively senior positions there for more than ten years. I submit that amounts to more than one bloke being sacked on grounds that people don't even know about and wanting to have a pop.

I'd advise seeing if the club goes to the tribunal, if it wins and what it's all about before assuming that CAFC are reasonable employers pursuing a legitimate and proportionate complaint. Just as I'd advise judging the squad on the players here at the end of the transfer window, rather than on one loan and one free transfer signing.
    And everything you say may well be true with good intent. Just understand that, to those like me who don't know you, you can come across as a little bitter sometimes which can have the effect of diluting the impact of your point.

• Options
    edited August 2013

you posted about the wiggins thing yesterday morning, and although the club hadnt announced yet, this whole site was going crazy about church and sordell the night before.

and i havent even mentioned its about you getting sacked have i? My point was if you have heard something, your timing could have been better, or as you know this place goes into melt down, mention it when its a little further down the line.

As i said, just felt like you was pissing on cornflakes.
  • Options
    am I the only one finding it suspicious that the only threads Churchills Butler has made comments on are those about TJ or with regard to Rick Everitt's comments?
  • Options

am I the only one finding it suspicious that the only threads Churchills Butler has made comments on are those about TJ or with regard to Rick Everitt's comments?

Perhaps he's another one who knows Peter Varney first or second hand and can reassure us that he left for personal reasons only and that Steve Kavanagh chose to go too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nope,you're not alone, I clocked that earlier.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

It certainly occurred to me Large. Newish member to boot I think. Only three visits but happily has found his voice. Welcome on board CB.
  • Options
    AB - Charlton's Albatross!
  • Options

Good morning mr slater!
  • Options
    or TJ or Martin Prothero
  • Options
    I'd hope Wiggins would only go to a Premiership side. Confident that TJ will play hardball as he did with Stephens. £3m seems a reasonable bottom line. I do feel we will be massively weakened by his loss. His delivery and comfort on the ball would put many Prem wingers in the shade and he is a superb defender.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I'd hope Wiggins would only go to a Premiership side. Confident that TJ will play hardball as he did with Stephens. £3m seems a reasonable bottom line. I do feel we will be massively weakened by his loss. His delivery and comfort on the ball would put many Prem wingers in the shade and he is a superb defender.

Personally i think he still needs to prove himself for a full season in the champ. Im not doubting the guys talent, i think he's an exeptional player, but he had a tough time against Palace at home (who have two top wingers) before being taken off injured.
  • Options
    My my. Everyonne speculates having read the evidence. Of course it is all there to see. I must be TJ or MS or MP. I really hope they have better thinks to do. If not perhps we end up like Coventry, liquidated. That is my point. You all moan speculat, deduce, Assume. Ah Assume . all that does is make an ASS of U and ME. Those are my common sense views based on the bleedin obvious, not some Utopia which maay exist if a loaded white knight with mega bucks and no brain. Airman Brown is where he is because they say he was naughty. If so he cant be trusted as his was said to be a betrayal. In war it is treason. Not for the common good because the source by action is said to be floored. If not fot TJ MS et al we would be sitting in the poo Coventry are in. No ground no team and minus 30 points heading Luton and Pompey's way. Not Southampton's. Clearly business people don't want all the accounts and statements in public view at the wrong time. Would you all like to have your worth posted on here? If so post it now but be truthful. 52 % say they cant pay there own bills let alone bail out a club. After the last 56 year2 (clue here) I am delighted at where we are really and if we are potless so is most of football and over half the country. YET you all moan and groan and deduce. And to cap it all after the riot at Palace started by Addicks with wreaking and flairs have the check to complain the Police kettled you. I left 5 mins early and had no problem the road was closed so I followed directions. No wonder they did it. That was a truly awful day and the same idiots let of fl\res at Pompey.Why. I saw children coughing and crying because of these flares. And do you know. Most people on her condoned the yos and wreckers.
  • Options
    Scuse errors typing to fast
  • Options
    Take a deep breath Churchills.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!