Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wiggins to be sold?

Comments

• Options
    I thought he was our best attacker in our League 1 winning season, then it was great to see him back near to his best at the end of last season. A huge loss but at the end of the day we are a selling club and always have been. That's the case for pretty much anyone outside the top 3 in the Premiership. If he does go, I just hope we see more of the potential money on the pitch than one loanee.
  • Options
    Just like when solly left last year to fill the owners pockets......

Is it not how a business that loses as much money as we do works you sell a player bank a quid or two and reinvest in something that you hope still keeps you there abouts
  • Options
    It would be nice if at the press conference CP announced we had signed Sordell and Rhoys was extending his contract.

I'm going for the eternal optimist outlook, it worked for me last year.
  • Options
    As much as I think he is a good player and that I don't want him to leave, he is probably our most easily replaced player with what we have - Cedric Evina.
  • Options
    How near are the likes of Morgan Fox to the 1st team? As a casual onlooker, we do seem better stocked in the young LB department than the young RB department.
  • Options
    It'll be more of a disaster if he leaves on a free next summer because we can't afford to offer him a new contract.
  • Options
    I just feel so sorry for scp. The speach after the bristol game was emense. Thinking back to it now i wonder if he knew the score im sure he said somthing like nothing or no one is going to stop the progresion.. So if he can get that e tra 10% out of the squad it would be a massive 2 fingers up to tj et al. U fanny around doing what u do but im the man here..
  • Options
    Fox is close and seems a quality quality prospect
  • Options
    he constantly talks about the xtra 10 %
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    All of our players are for sale at the right price , don't get too stressed , it might not happen , it could , but it might not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    omfg, rhoys wiggins is not being sold. i know people are scared but just take a breather and use common sense, wiggins wont be sold at this moment in time. i bet you powell convinces him to stay with us and sign a new long term contract because wiggins was onne of the first people to join the vision. expect all our key players to be kept, dont be ridiculous we are not selling players to fund loans, get a grip do you really think we havnt got any strikers so far because we havn't sold players, no there are a million free agents but powell is trying to find the right one. how would the situation have helped if we signed another paul hayes. it is not ideal but im getting really sick of these fearful rumours. wiggins ent goin, solly ent goin, jackson ent goin, kermo ent goin. everybody calm down
  • Options
    For all we know Wiggins might have said he won't sign a new contract.

If he goes then so be it, Evina can step up. Life goes on.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the accurasy of Airmans posts but concerned that he may be putting the job of his contact at risk.
  • Options
    who is this ent goin you speak of fella is he any good does he play up front
  • Options
    Wiggins is one of my Favorite players at the club. Massively weakens us if he leaves.
  • Options
    I love the zeal of youth :o)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I love Wiggins, his work rate and positional sense are just outstanding. Any player at the top of his game will be missed by any team however, I do believe that Ceddy is ready (pardon the unintended rhyme). He may have a bit of naivety left in him but, that'll soon go with game time and coaching. I don't think it will be the disaster that many on here think it will, only time will tell.

Ceddy is ready, OMG
  • Options

If true then I'd rather we were selling players to buy players rather than loan them in.

Selling Wiggins to buy Sordell would be a good move on the basis that Wiggins is out of contract soon and is clearly on his way up, while Sordell has talent but hasn't adapated to life up north.

Sadly we can't keep every player we have at the club at least with Wiggins we have Evina and Fox coming through, so it's one position where we have some depth.

I agree, but I think the boards mentality maybe that we can get better value for this season for a loan and then take the view that by next summer we would have found a new set of owners with loads of wedge, who will buy him out right or buy better.

That sort of expectation does not always pan out of course, i.e. Button fee due June 2013.

It does of course highlight the shortsightedness of not tying up our key players contracts earlier in the summer, so that if we need to sell we get real value.

• Options

If Airman did say that, then in many ways he was proved right.

As AFKA pointed out, he said something similar.

How exactly was he proved right? We finished 9th, with CP and the same, if not better squad.
    He was proved right. Airman said he would "be happy" if we could end the season with that. It seemed pretty clear that on at least one maybe two occasions during the course of last season, Powell was relatively close to the boot. In addition, the squad we ended last season with was pretty much what we began with, with the exception of a couple of loan additions. I.e., we didn't really make any major purchases. The only bit he arguably got "wrong" was in underestimating Powell / the squad's ability to overperform and finish higher up the table.

In my opinion, the way it was said indicated AB believed we would be unable to keep CP, the squad or finish above 21st. We managed all of those things and more, making him, in my opinion, wrong.

I'm also not sure how it was ever pretty clear Powell was close to the boot.
    I'm not sure it was a case of "us being able to keep hold of CP", and I think you have misinterpreted what AB was suggesting (unless I have). AB thought the board may well lose patience and sack Powell which could well have lead to relegation. There were very strong rumours around the Cardiff game and again I think in January that Powell had an awful working relationship with Jiminez (who expected us to be challenging for the play offs with no reinforcements) and was only 1 or 2 games from the sack. On each of these occasions he managed to procude 3 or 4 game winning runs.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.

Keep your voice down for Christ's sake!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Swisdom said:

Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.

Or increase the volume. Surely Madrid should be after Wiggins not Bale, a snip at £40m.

I personally don't believe any of rumours of the board wanting to sack CP last season, as it makes no sense. Having CP there is a great figurehead for the club, and keeps a lot of attention away from the board itself, which might result in more questions being asked...
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Or increase the volume. Surely Madrid should be after Wiggins not Bale, a snip at £40m.

I personally don't believe any of rumours of the board wanting to sack CP last season, as it makes no sense. Having CP there is a great figurehead for the club, and keeps a lot of attention away from the board itself, which might result in more questions being asked...
    Think it's called a "knee jerk reaction", killerandflash.

If , as AB states there is no plan, then anything is possible , albeit without any prior warning IMHO.

What worries me is AB's reference to the next couple of weeks.

I'm close to becoming a gibbering idiot already...how much longer before we can breathe a small sigh of relief ?

• Options
    If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Think it's called a "knee jerk reaction", killerandflash.

If , as AB states there is no plan, then anything is possible , albeit without any prior warning IMHO.

What worries me is AB's reference to the next couple of weeks.

I'm close to becoming a gibbering idiot already...how much longer before we can breathe a small sigh of relief ?

September 4th mate.
  • Options

If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.

And even they lost Ronaldo to Madrid...

Besides, it's not as if Wiggins is a home produced player, who first joined the club when he was 11...
  • Options

Swisdom said:

The fact that it would have made no sense to you or I is no proof whatsoever that TJ didnt contemplate doing it.

You or I would not have got us in the situation where we are 48 hours from our first game and have only one 31 year old striker.

• Options

Swisdom said:

The fact that it would have made no sense to you or I is no proof whatsoever that TJ didnt contemplate doing it.

You or I would not have got us in the situation where we are 48 hours from our first game and have only one 31 year old striker.

Be fair. We're still 51 hours away from kick-off.
  • Options
    Wiggins is, in my view, our second best player and I think he will go on to play in the Premier League. As good a deputy as Evina is, Wiggins' departure would significantly weaken us.

At present, of course, it is an unsubstantiated rumour, predicated upon the existence of " a mole ", who is prepared to share the Board's plans with AB ( without anything being lost in translation, misinterpreted or spun ).

We all recognise that - save for 8 or 9 seasons during the Curbishley era - we have nearly always been a selling club. In the modern era, it's been the only way that the club ( and others of its ilk ) have been able to to try and keep the level of losses manageable. Who, if anyone, is sold will depend upon how any contract negotiations go and - most fundamentally - what offers ( if any ) we receive. No doubt, however, this particular rumour will permeate its way onto other websites and maybe even find its way into the tabloids. I can't see that that would help anybody - Wiggins, the club or the supporters ( and yes, I do remember the supporter response, which helped to abort the transfers of John Humphrey and Paul Williams in the late 80s).

For now, I think we should try and enjoy the anticipation that the start of a new season always brings.
  • Options
    Hopefully Rhoys plays on Saturday and we can all relax a bit. Just because the club is looking at moving him doesn't mean anyone will actually sign him. You need a buyer and a seller.
  • Options
    It's easy to say that we're a selling club, but we're not in a good selling position given the state of the market and our own finances. We're going to get peanuts for Wiggins, or any of our saleable assets. This is more Shelvey than Parker and that's what will hurt the most.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!