Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wiggins to be sold?

Comments

• Options
    If an excellent player like Wiggy leaves, and it gives us aka Chris Powell some wriggle room it is what you expect when we have no fresh money coming in.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.

Keep your voice down for Christ's sake!
    Or increase the volume. Surely Madrid should be after Wiggins not Bale, a snip at £40m.

I personally don't believe any of rumours of the board wanting to sack CP last season, as it makes no sense. Having CP there is a great figurehead for the club, and keeps a lot of attention away from the board itself, which might result in more questions being asked...
    It's easy to say it makes no sense now in hindsight after a 9th place finish. But when we were sat in the relegation zone on a losing run and in dire danger, fans getting frustrated, CP apparently barely on talking terms with Jiminez and the board feeling like they were in grave danger of dropping back down to League One and losing themselves a sh*tload of cash, the situation was very different.

Anyway, I'm not sure how bothered the board are about attention or no attention. Their primary concern is their investment.
  • Options
    Not happy, in fact distinctly unhappy if true.
  • Options
    Blimey, haven't posted on here since April.

Glad to see the same old nonsense prevails.

Back to my sunbed by the pool I think....
  • Options

Blimey, haven't posted on here since April.

Glad to see the same old nonsense prevails.

Back to my sunbed by the pool I think....

Don't you mean the Thames Estuary, Southend ?

• Options

All of our players are for sale at the right price , don't get too stressed , it might not happen , it could , but it might not.

We can pretty much just shut the forum down then I guess?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If an excellent player like Wiggy leaves, and it gives us aka Chris Powell some wriggle room it is what you expect when we have no fresh money coming in.

That's the thing. If losing Wiggy allows CP to pay Sordell's wages it's probably a good thing. If the money just disappears into a giant black hole it most definately isn't. The truth is Jimenez and Slater (blimey, that's telling I had to look his name up, because I just couldn't remember) are so tight lipped, we'll never have a clue how the money's used - we'll be guessing away like always.

• Options

Swisdom said:

Wiggy is one of our fastest, trickiest and most intelligent players. Easily premier standard. His cross-blocking is outstanding.

Massive massive loss if true. I'd be gutted. For me one of our best footballers since Parker.

Keep your voice down for Christ's sake!
    Or increase the volume. Surely Madrid should be after Wiggins not Bale, a snip at £40m.

I personally don't believe any of rumours of the board wanting to sack CP last season, as it makes no sense. Having CP there is a great figurehead for the club, and keeps a lot of attention away from the board itself, which might result in more questions being asked...
    It's easy to say it makes no sense now in hindsight after a 9th place finish. But when we were sat in the relegation zone on a losing run and in dire danger, fans getting frustrated, CP apparently barely on talking terms with Jiminez and the board feeling like they were in grave danger of dropping back down to League One and losing themselves a sh*tload of cash, the situation was very different.

Anyway, I'm not sure how bothered the board are about attention or no attention. Their primary concern is their investment.
    It made no sense then either as lots of people on here and elsewhere pointed out. Which is probably why we still have him and we finished 9th. :)

All's well that ends well.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Wiggins is, in my view, our second best player and I think he will go on to play in the Premier League. As good a deputy as Evina is, Wiggins' departure would significantly weaken us.

At present, of course, it is an unsubstantiated rumour, predicated upon the existence of " a mole ", who is prepared to share the Board's plans with AB ( without anything being lost in translation, misinterpreted or spun ).

We all recognise that - save for 8 or 9 seasons during the Curbishley era - we have nearly always been a selling club. In the modern era, it's been the only way that the club ( and others of its ilk ) have been able to to try and keep the level of losses manageable. Who, if anyone, is sold will depend upon how any contract negotiations go and - most fundamentally - what offers ( if any ) we receive. No doubt, however, this particular rumour will permeate its way onto other websites and maybe even find its way into the tabloids. I can't see that that would help anybody - Wiggins, the club or the supporters ( and yes, I do remember the supporter response, which helped to abort the transfers of John Humphrey and Paul Williams in the late 80s).

For now, I think we should try and enjoy the anticipation that the start of a new season always brings.

I'm not saying your wrong, don't underestimate Evina though, I think he'll make a good replacement even if we are a little weaker in that position we will be stronger elsewhere because of it.
  • Options

AB wouldn't throw it out there if there wasn't any truth to it. Sometimes I despair.

The same AB who last year said we'd be lucky to finish the season with the same manager, squad and finish 21st.
    Stig said:

What guff was that Stu? Might this not be a goer then?

As above.
    That wasn't what was said though Stu. He said he would be happy with those things, completely different.

If you're gonna do an Offy and needlessly target him, at least get it right mate :-)

Piss off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i'll bet u wiggins doesn't go but we do lose a player, hopefully dale stephens
  • Options

If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.

Hmm. Took several years for Robinson to become a player anywhere near good enough to be considered as having replaced Lee. Barness of course left two years before Minto did.

It's true that there will always be another left back - after all, we've had Jackson, Borrowdale, Seabourne and even Kerkar playing there in recent years. However, here we have a manager who has put together the squad the board asked for - one that can compete in the Championship. Now it seems the same board may be starting to dismantle this squad and asking SCP to continue to succeed with those he brought in as second choices.

I'm scratching my head at the reason to allow the players' contracts to run down. Seems to me it's the same gamble they took on several players this year, in the hope to re-sign those we wanted to keep on reduced terms. Only next year it's virtually our entire squad who gets to walk away, and unlike this year it's our very best players who will be going. For nothing. It's not like streamlining for a takeover in another business, where headcount can be an encumbrance - these are our primary assets and they'll be next to worthless. Our liabilities are deferred transfer fees, loans and whatever else makes up that monthly £1m 'transfer' from the discredited brief.

Or put another way, if they've not sold the club or found funding, this board will be asking SCP to put a squad together from scratch that's capable of competing a level above League One with less money than he was then afforded.

I've held my tongue at some of the revisionist Richard Murray bashing that's gone on here the last few days. He made mistakes, the biggest was well-intended but gambling future monies on trying to give the wrong horse the best chance led to our spectacular fall, but there was never a moment of doubt that he did so with the club's best interest at heart; putting his own money at risk to do so.

This board aren't playing with their own money. They started playing with someone else's, when that dried up they've managed the club on a 'rob Peter to pay Paul' basis, deferring monies and taking on debt they expect someone else to pay off, whilst no doubt taking decent salaries for themselves and their mates.

Wiggins sale might prove necessary. But it won't be because trying to get back to the Valley is exhausting our funds, or because we lost our Premiership status and revenues. It will be, as Button's sale was, because something's come home to roost.
  • Options
    Maybe a player has to be sold to finance forthcoming contract extensions of our most valuable players?

That way the Board protect the value of their playing assets.

• Options
    rikofold said:

If you've supported Charlton for as long as I have, you just accept that our top players move on. It's been that way since Bonds, Bailey and Hinton in the 60s. Even during our "glory days" in the Premiership, when the big boys came calling, we couldn't hold on to Parker. And will stay that way until I win £120 million on a Euromillions jackpot and buy the club!

Will be disappointing, of course, if Wiggins leaves but the thing is, as in the past, there will always be someone to step into a departing players shoes. Think Robinson for Robert Lee, Barness for Minto, Iwelumo for Darren Bent (OK maybe not that one!).

Sad but that's the reality of supporting Charlton and not someone like Moan Utd.

Now it seems the same board may be starting to dismantle this squad and asking SCP to continue to succeed with those he brought in as second choices.
    How exactly have they started to dismantle the squad?? The only suggestion that Wiggins is to be sold has come from someone who quite clearly hates the current board.
  • Options

rikofold said:

Now it seems the same board may be starting to dismantle this squad and asking SCP to continue to succeed with those he brought in as second choices.
    How exactly have they started to dismantle the squad?? The only suggestion that Wiggins is to be sold has come from someone who quite clearly hates the current board.
    This.

There is no concrete evidence that one player is gonna be sold, yet people are already waving their white flags.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The squad has improved again in my opinion.

Team jan 2011

Elliot
    Francis
    Fortune
    Dailly
    Jackson
    Semedo
    Racon
    Martin
    Reid
    Mcormack
    Benson

Possible team v bournemouth

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wiggins
    Harriot
    Jackson
    Gower
    Pritchard
    Sordell
    Kermorgant

We are going in the right direction imo even if sometimes it seems slow.
  • Options

Q
    Team jan 2011

Elliot
    Francis
    Fortune
    Dailly
    Jackson
    Semedo
    Racon
    Martin
    Reid
    Mcormack
    Benson

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wiggins
    Harriot
    Jackson
    Gower
    Pritchard
    Sordell
    Kermorgant

I still shudder just looking at that 2011 team. Worst Charlton team I've ever seen.
  • Options

Team jan 2011

Elliot
    Francis
    Fortune
    Dailly
    Jackson
    Semedo
    Racon
    Martin
    Reid
    Mcormack
    Benson

Wow , no wonder we were stuck in League 1
  • Options
    If there is not enough money for everything that the fans want what would those of you that are complaining want to see happen?

I seriously doubt we got this close to the start of the season with just one striker because we had loads of money available to bring in a new one. I don't want to see Wiggins leave but irrespective as to the length of the contracts now (i.e ignoring any previous mistakes) what are they supposed to do if they can't afford to pay the players more money and they don't want to sign extended terms on the same (or less) money?

One of the things that I find most frustrating with some of the posters on here is that almost all of their criticisms are for things that could be solved with someone 'giving' the club more money. Some on here sound like spoilt children that complain because their parents didn't buy them enough presents for Christmas.

Sometimes I just despair with the attitudes of some football fans!
  • Options

If there is not enough money for everything that the fans want what would those of you that are complaining want to see happen?

I seriously doubt we got this close to the start of the season with just one striker because we had loads of money available to bring in a new one. I don't want to see Wiggins leave but irrespective as to the length of the contracts now (i.e ignoring any previous mistakes) what are they supposed to do if they can't afford to pay the players more money and they don't want to sign extended terms on the same (or less) money?

One of the things that I find most frustrating with some of the posters on here is that almost all of their criticisms are for things that could be solved with someone 'giving' the club more money. Some on here sound like spoilt children that complain because their parents didn't buy them enough presents for Christmas.

Sometimes I just despair with the attitudes of some football fans!

Agree. However we arrived at the point we found ourselves yesterday we couldn't leave it like and something had to be done. If the only way of getting very much needed forwards in through the door was to free up some money in player sales then it had to be done. Gutted if its true about Wiggins but perhaps he's the only player we have attracting a bit of Interest.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Team jan 2011

Elliot
    Francis
    Fortune
    Dailly
    Jackson
    Semedo
    Racon
    Martin
    Reid
    Mcormack
    Benson

Hamer
    Solly
    Morrison
    Dervite
    Wiggins
    Harriot
    Jackson
    Gower
    Pritchard
    Sordell
    Kermorgant

That is a top post and topped off a cracking day my son is wearing his new addicks shirt with a smile in Gran Canaria tonight!
  • Options

rikofold said:

Would you rather AB doesn't post what he knows? I think some of the comments aimed at Rick are way over the top. People say cut R Murray some slack because of what he has done for the Club, rightly so, and in my opinion AB deserves the same consideration. He isn't just any old employee with no connection to the Club coming on here for whinge because he was dismissed. He deserves a bit more respect as far as I'm concerned. I hope he continues to post what he knows because I put a lot more credence in that than most of the other drivel posted here, mine included.
  • Options

rikofold said:

Would you rather AB doesn't post what he knows? I think some of the comments aimed at Rick are way over the top. People say cut R Murray some slack because of what he has done for the Club, rightly so, and in my opinion AB deserves the same consideration. He isn't just any old employee with no connection to the Club coming on here for whinge because he was dismissed. He deserves a bit more respect as far as I'm concerned. I hope he continues to post what he knows because I put a lot more credence in that than most of the other drivel posted here, mine included.
    Top post Large.

• Options

I'm not sure the two things are so different, having not read the quote for a year, I got it slightly wrong.

However as he worked for the club at the time (I believe) then there must have been some inside info to make that kind of statement.

There must also be some inside info to know we are trying to sell Wiggins.

I also don't think it's needlessly targeting him when this is a thread about a rumour he started.

In the meantime if people want to kick me then so be it, I'll either be proven right that they will sell or there will be a better outcome for the club.
    Going to have to pull you up on this Airman. Exactly what is the better outcome for the club than than these two Herberts selling up??

And what's happening in the next fortnight?

• Options
    If he goes, then Wiggins to Palace I reckon. Holloway loves his attacking players and Wiggi would fit his type of player perfectly plus be in their budget and a young lad with potential and already Champ proven when they go down. (Only my guess, not ITK).
  • Options
    Sometimes when your in the know, it might be better for the 3rd party concerned namely Rhoysy in this instance if it isn't public knowledge, this is his career and livelihood we are putting out in the public domain here, did anyone consider asking him if he was ok with that ?
    Just wondered ?
  • Options

I'm not sure the two things are so different, having not read the quote for a year, I got it slightly wrong.

However as he worked for the club at the time (I believe) then there must have been some inside info to make that kind of statement.

There must also be some inside info to know we are trying to sell Wiggins.

I also don't think it's needlessly targeting him when this is a thread about a rumour he started.

In the meantime if people want to kick me then so be it, I'll either be proven right that they will sell or there will be a better outcome for the club.
    Going to have to pull you up on this Airman. Exactly what is the better outcome for the club than than these two Herberts selling up??

And what's happening in the next fortnight?

I'm referring to Wiggins, not the club, so the better outcome is not selling him.

• Options
    madadd said:

Sometimes when your in the know, it might be better for the 3rd party concerned namely Rhoysy in this instance if it isn't public knowledge, this is his career and livelihood we are putting out in the public domain here, did anyone consider asking him if he was ok with that ?
    Just wondered ?

It's a football forum.

• Options

If he goes, then Wiggins to Palace I reckon. Holloway loves his attacking players and Wiggi would fit his type of player perfectly plus be in their budget and a young lad with potential and already Champ proven when they go down. (Only my guess, not ITK).

Wiggins started his career at Palace, of course. Don't know if they need a LB though
  • Options
    Calm down, Rhoys will be a Charlton player come september
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!