Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do the board get so much criticism on here. Or why am I so wrong

Under CP and with the backing of the board the team has improved over the past two odd years.
Richard Murray had done all he could to keep the club afloat until he could find a buyer and there was no rush of people looking to take over.
IMHO we have kept our best players and Chris has been backed when looking to improve the squad with some good loan signings and free transfers.
How can we spend money on players that we don't have. Unless we can afford to spend the kind of money it would take (and that amount is anyones guess) what is the point. If CP can keep us competitive in this league then for me it is job done.

I sit in the North Lower and pay under £14.00 per game given the new price of my season ticket and I think this offers tremendous VFM.

The only way this club is going to be sold for profit is our success on the pitch and if they sell the club for profit I well this.

If they sell the club to an investor who has the money to bring success then good on them regardless of whether they make a profit or not.

My criticism of the board will come when they asset strip the club to get back losses when the knew the risks they were taking when taking over from RM. Or they sell the club to someone who has no interest in CAFC but as far as I can see just by going to the Valley everything is better now from a fans point of view than it has been since Curbs left.

I am now going to duck and wait for the onslaught but this is my genuine opinion.

Comments

• Options
    It has all been done to death on other threads.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

It has all been done to death on other threads.

Dick I am asking why I am so wrong and trust that someone will look my points of view and tells me why I am wrong
  • Options
    Please not another thread...
  • Options
    Mainly down to fear of the unknown. The board are secretive and communications almost non existent which encourages wild speculation...which lots of people inherently enjoy...
  • Options
    Lack of transparency is the main issue. For me, it means there is something to hide.

I hope I’m wrong, but doubt I am.
  • Options
    cafc and Brendan, I agree that communication and transparency are poor, but for me it is what happens on the pitch.
  • Options
    Everyone was happy in the third division under Parky.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Vincent said:

cafc and Brendan, I agree that communication and transparency are poor, but for me it is what happens on the pitch.

And that's fine. Lots of fans only care about what happens on the pitch, but many are interested in how we conduct our business off the pitch too.

Surely if you wait until "they asset strip the club to get back losses when the knew the risks they were taking when taking over from RM. Or they sell the club to someone who has no interest in CAFC" to start kicking up a fuss it'll be a bit late ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

And that's fine. Lots of fans only care about what happens on the pitch, but many are interested in how we conduct our business off the pitch too.

Surely if you wait until "they asset strip the club to get back losses when the knew the risks they were taking when taking over from RM. Or they sell the club to someone who has no interest in CAFC" to start kicking up a fuss it'll be a bit late ?
    SE9 my point is they haven't. Who have they sold that has been a great loss to us and do they look like selling to the first person that comes along. They have every right to sell Solly to help balance the books but so far have not and can I also say that we have been in serious debt for more years than I care to remember this is nothing new

• Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

SE9 my point is they haven't. Who have they sold that has been a great loss to us and do they look like selling to the first person that comes along. They have every right to sell Solly to help balance the books but so far have not and can I also say that we have been in serious debt for more years than I care to remember this is nothing new

How do you judge an asset ? By its value. By allowing the contracts of almost every player in our squad to run down they have essentially stripped our assets of their value. How much would we get for Solly today with nine months to run on his deal ?

If you think that this is an acceptable way to run a football club then I'm rather surprised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    'Ear' 'Ear' Vincent you paint an interesting scenario :0)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

How do you judge an asset ? By its value. By allowing the contracts of almost every player in our squad to run down they have essentially stripped our assets of their value. How much would we get for Solly today with nine months to run on his deal ?

If you think that this is an acceptable way to run a football club then I'm rather surprised.
    I have no idea how to run a football club. Is it a fact that most of the current squad are on contracts that run until the end of the season. The current board have had two years to sell our better players Kermo being one imo and the training ground would be a sellable asset would it not. I maintain my original post until someone with facts and not scaremongering tells me why I am wrong.

• Options
    Vincent, this has been done to death.
    When this was pointed out to you, you said you just wanted to know why there was mistrust. It was then explained to you that the mistrust is basically fear over lack of communication and the unknown element of the board.
    In response you state that you disagree with this as a means to distrust the board.
    IMO you therefore don't just 'want to know' you want to have another debate of the right or wrongs of distrusting the baord. Which, as had been said, has been done to death. Please consider ending this thread before we get into yet another rant where both sides dig there heels in and we make no real progression.
    The season has started now, lets at least go back to slagging each other off over the reasons why we lost on Saturday and what it means for the entire season.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

I have no idea how to run a football club. Is it a fact that most of the current squad are on contracts that run until the end of the season. The current board have had two years to sell our better players Kermo being one imo and the training ground would be a sellable asset would it not. I maintain my original post until someone with facts and not scaremongering tells me why I am wrong.

Yes it is a fact that all but three (Harriott, Wilson and Church) of our squad have 9 months remaining. As does Chris Powell.
  • Options
    DRF said:

Vincent, this has been done to death.
    When this was pointed out to you, you said you just wanted to know why there was mistrust. It was then explained to you that the mistrust is basically fear over lack of communication and the unknown element of the board.
    In response you state that you disagree with this as a means to distrust the board.
    IMO you therefore don't just 'want to know' you want to have another debate of the right or wrongs of distrusting the baord. Which, as had been said, has been done to death. Please consider ending this thread before we get into yet another rant where both sides dig there heels in and we make no real progression.
    The season has started now, lets at least go back to slagging each other off over the reasons why we lost on Saturday and what it means for the entire season.

Sorry DRF if this post bores you then don't read or respond to it. I do not like some of the comments made by fans to other fans on here and I will not be slagging anyone off for having a different opinion to mine.
    I agree there is poor communication between the board and fans but I am asking what is it that the board have done to warrant the abuse they receive on here based on facts.
  • Options
    I don't earn a great deal of money but I do have a credit card with a big limit.

This lunch time I could walk to the Travel Agent up the road and spend £5k or more on a trip to Australia courtesy of that credit card.

Whilst on my jaunt I would be thinking how great life is and how much better things are than they have been.

However after a few weeks I'd have to return home and go back to work with a big debt plus interest.

That is the stark reality.

To try and answer your question Vincent I suspect many, like me, are wary as to how the Board are financing the comparatively good times you validly refer too in your opening post rather like my hypothetical trip Down Under.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

Yes it is a fact that all but three (Harriott, Wilson and Church) of our squad have 9 months remaining. As does Chris Powell.
    Thanks for that SE9, so from a fans point of view I would like to know what CP and the board are doing to extend current contracts or replacements, We have no choice but to allow the board to run the club in the way they see fit and react when they give us reason to, but as per my original post I love going to the Valley and am really looking forward to this season and without the current board where would we be
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

Thanks for that SE9, so from a fans point of view I would like to know what CP and the board are doing to extend current contracts or replacements, We have no choice but to allow the board to run the club in the way they see fit and react when they give us reason to, but as per my original post I love going to the Valley and am really looking forward to this season and without the current board where would we be
    So I guess what your saying is that although you can see the iceberg approaching (in this case an entire squad out of contract) you don't want to react until the ship has actually struck it and is halfway to the bottom of the ocean ?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I don't earn a great deal of money but I do have a credit card with a big limit.

This lunch time I could walk to the Travel Agent up the road and spend £5k or more on a trip to Australia courtesy of that credit card.

Whilst on my jaunt I would be thinking how great life is and how much better things are than they have been.

However after a few weeks I'd have to return home and go back to work with a big debt plus interest.

To try and answer your question Vincent I suspect many, like me, are wary as to how the Board are financing the comparatively good times you validly refer too in your opening post rather like my hypothetical trip Down Under.

Len this is a misleading way of looking at our situation. The current board did not get us into debt they inherit it. Now rather then get into further debt by booking another holiday they are unable to afford they are making every effort to pay off the debt and earn more money before being able to afford an even better holiday in the future. For this year they are having a better holiday than last year and the year before and want to make sure that next years holiday will be better in not what they would really like
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Good post and analogy, Len.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    what @DRF says. Lets move on/
  • Options
    Vincent

I have no idea how old you are, but suspect you maybe too young to remember September 1985. Up until then we had allowed the Board to "run the club in the way they see fit", not least because there had some investment on the playing side and we looked like we would challenge for promotion. Then we got a piece of paper telling us that we were moving to Selhurst Park next week, but that the 75 bus would take us directly there, and that the pitch at Selhurst is always in first class condition. We then "reacted when they gave us a reason". We invaded the pitch. Fat lot of good that did. The deal was done.

Some of us that day said 'never again'. That is why we take a closer interest in what goes on in the boardroom.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

So I guess what your saying is that although you can see the iceberg approaching (in this case an entire squad out of contract) you don't want to react until the ship has actually struck it and is halfway to the bottom of the ocean ?
    Not at all, the iceberg has been in sight for many years it is not the current lot that have got us into so much debt and at the moment they are keeping us away from the iceberg. We will have a squad of players next season that we can afford and CP will do his best to get the most out of them. We do not have the resources to do much else just like a lot of other clubs.
    Tell me what you think the board have done so wrong

• Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

Not at all, the iceberg has been in sight for many years it is not the current lot that have got us into so much debt and at the moment they are keeping us away from the iceberg. We will have a squad of players next season that we can afford and CP will do his best to get the most out of them. We do not have the resources to do much else just like a lot of other clubs.

I thought I had, you appear unwilling or unable to comprehend.
  • Options

Vincent

I have no idea how old you are, but suspect you maybe too young to remember September 1985. Up until then we had allowed the Board to "run the club in the way they see fit", not least because there had some investment on the playing side and we looked like we would challenge for promotion. Then we got a piece of paper telling us that we were moving to Selhurst Park next week, but that the 75 bus would take us directly there, and that the pitch at Selhurst is always in first class condition. We then "reacted when they gave us a reason". We invaded the pitch. Fat lot of good that did. The deal was done.

Some of us that day said 'never again'. That is why we take a closer interest in what goes on in the boardroom.

Prague I am 50 today and have been going to the Valley for 42 years. I remember our last game at home and was on the pitch at half time, but if my memory serves me well I am sure that everyone knew this was coming.
    I am all for fans taking an interest in what is going on behind the scenes but I want to know why there is so much criticism of the board.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

I thought I had, you appear unwilling or unable to comprehend.
    I will apologise to you if you are an expert on player contracts or if you know why for a fact that so many of our players are out of contract. As I said previously I do not have a clue how to run a football club. And do you know for a fact that the team next season will be worse than our current squad because until now I have seen no evidence of this only progress and this is why I support what the board are doing
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent

Prague I am 50 today and have been going to the Valley for 42 years. I remember our last game at home and was on the pitch at half time, but if my memory serves me well I am sure that everyone knew this was coming.
    I am all for fans taking an interest in what is going on behind the scenes but I want to know why there is so much criticism of the board.
    Happy Birthday

Well you are the first person I ever met who claimed they knew it was coming. I never up to now met a single person who had the remotest idea. And to my knowledge nor did Airman Brown who was both a member of the supporters club and becoming interested in a career in journalism.

• Options

Vincent said:

Vincent

Happy Birthday

Well you are the first person I ever met who claimed they knew it was coming. I never up to now met a single person who had the remotest idea. And to my knowledge nor did Airman Brown who was both a member of the supporters club and becoming interested in a career in journalism.

Mike Norris was a friend of my uncles. My uncle and Mike Bailey had the Valley Club at the time and it was common knowledge to a lot of people I knew that we were going. I am not sure who but Palace was not the first choice either.

• Options
    somebody is to blame if we are not champions of europe...if its too early or too hot for the players to be the first to the ball and scp's tactics are spot on then it must be the board's fault...simples
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Good analogy Len.
    From the time of the share issue to fans in 1994 (when, aside from raising a decent slug of capital from supporters, the existing directors converted loans to CAFC into equity), right up until Curbs' departure, all of the long-term capital injected by the largest backers (mainly a small group of directors, always including RM) was in the form of equity; once in, the funds couldn't be taken out and the backers could only realise their investment by selling their shares to others. There was NO debt to directors, other than occasional (and temporary provision of) working capital.
    The downside of perennial share issues to plug recurring deificits for other shareholders was that their shareholdings were continually diluted but most were content that the club was not taking on a growing debt obligation that, historically, has become a millstone around the neck of many football clubs. IMHO, this was truly a period when directors, shareholders (who were fans) and fans generally shared the same view of the world and the way that CAFC needed to operate. It may seem hard to believe but the main backers accepted that they may or may not see their money again, though of course they hoped that the club would continue to progress and perhaps one day their investments may bear fruit financially to complement the joy of the journey.
    When Dowie was given a shed load of cash to spend, it was done on the basis that Premier League revenues (due to rise sharply again) would continue and would fund the over-spend. The main backers pledged, in the worst-case, to cover the deficit.
    When the wotsit hit the fan some months later they did indeed inject the required capital but, now staring at very straightened times for the club financially, would only do so in the form of debt. That is, it would need to be repaid.
    From that point onwards, most of not all of the fund injected increased that debt due to directors, until of course they (at the time of RM's buyout) agreed to write off much of it and make repayment of the rest contingent on regaining Premier League status.
    How the current board has financed the recurring deficit I have not a clue - no doubt it can be deduced to some degree from the accounts but I would hazard a guess that it has been by debt from themselves and/or "third parties". Not being dyed-in-the-wool Addicks they will wish to see their money again one day............................preferably one day soon no doubt.