Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do the board get so much criticism on here. Or why am I so wrong

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Is your uncle Ken Hunt?

That depends on whether he owes you money or not

• Options
    Vincent said:

shirty5 said:

Is your uncle Ken Hunt?

Cheers
  • Options
    Isn't the bottom line here the fact that there are numerous worrying signs within our club that leave us, the fans, with major concerns over the stability and future of our wonderful club? I, for one, am very aware that the 'feel' isn't the same as it was in the Alwen/Norris/Murray days which leaves me feeling anxious; not least due to the reported £7m loss each year. You only have to look at Coventry for comparisons of fans concerns over Board motives that could (arguably) be levelled to ours. I think we all crave some form of tangible reassurance that is probably unachievable. I truly fear for the future.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Vincent said:

shirty5 said:

Is your uncle Ken Hunt?

Cheers
    Sorry that was my poor attempt at humour yes he is
  • Options
    thanks for removinving the post..... so much for freedom of speech
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Isn't the bottom line here the fact that there are numerous worrying signs within our club that leave us, the fans, with major concerns over the stability and future of our wonderful club? I, for one, am very aware that the 'feel' isn't the same as it was in the Alwen/Norris/Murray days which leaves me feeling anxious; not least due to the reported £7m loss each year. You only have to look at Coventry for comparisons of fans concerns over Board motives that could (arguably) be levelled to ours. I think we all crave some form of tangible reassurance that is probably unachievable. I truly fear for the future.

Meldrew I totally get where you are coming from. As far as I can see, the board are looking to sell and at the moment nothing is happening and so they have nothing to say.

Are we in a better position now than before they took over I think we are.
    They did not take over a club making money moving towards the PL and run it into the ground. The Club was on its knees before they took over and without them who knows how long RM could have kept the club going.

• Options
    meldrew66 said:

This has gotta be the most depressing 50th birthday in history!

No disrespect folks but if I spend my 50th birthday on here having an argument with you lot over the merits of the board...I don't think I want to see my 51st.
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

No disrespect folks but if I spend my 50th birthday on here having an argument with you lot over the merits of the board...I don't think I want to see my 51st.
    I didn't realise you were such a spring chicken!

You come across as an old git like me!

:-)
  • Options

meldrew66 said:

Bournemouth I hope your fortunes are better than mine. I am unemployed now and don't have much money to spend, my wife was at work yesterday and whilst she was at work I spent some time on here. We went to a Toby Carvery last night with my daughter and had a really nice time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Vincent

Some people are avoiding your question or answering it partially... before I go on do tell who were the first choice for a ground share all those years ago - Millwall or West Ham would make sense?

As Len states people are wary that certain long standing staff members all left the club 18 months after it was taken over
    Rumours fly around that there were transfer targets 12 months ago which did not materialise
    More rumours about people not being paid
    People are worried about top players being sold
    Dale Stephens was NOT sold!
    No one wants to sell top players
    But their value diminishes as their contracts run down
    16-18 players have less than a year to go - some people are suddenly worried
    Too many strikers released but the squad isn't strengthened until the last minute
    The club do not brief groups of fans the way they used to
    We haven't won all season!
    Each seasons losses are being run up as loans and NOT new equity into the club - this might cause issues later on.

Before anyone misreads the above - that's not 100% my view OK!

I expect we would all like to see last seasons progress repeated so that the club gets closer to the Premier League. Getting into the Play-offs would be a great step as it would turn a 1 in 8 chance of promotion into a 1 in 4 chance. But it's going to be a lot harder this season because Leeds are back and the relegated clubs are not rubbish like last time.

I won't make a call on the current squad (and by implication the board) until I have seen a few games, the window has closed and we know who might come in on loan. And just how far we are from the top 6.

As per your discussion with Len and his credit card, the club only makes sense if it get to the Premier League once in a while as that is where the real money is... some short term investment to improve the weakest parts of the squad has to be the way to secure 10 more points than last season.

The irony is that peeps is having a moan after the best finish in six years and it has cost £15M in losses to move within 3 points of the play-offs and reverse 5 or 6 years of downward spiral. The real question is whether the board have the funds and more importantly the luck to make it happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see where Vincent is coming from. I don't have any inside knowledge of anything, don't know anyoneITK. But... isn't our real problem the fact that it seems to be impossible to run the club at a profit in the championship, in spite of decent attendances in the league? That's what any prospective buyer would want- a profit. So how do you think he'd go about getting it? Answers please on a postcard to Valley Floyd Road.
  • Options

Vincent

Some people are avoiding your question or answering it partially... before I go on do tell who were the first choice for a ground share all those years ago - Millwall or West Ham would make sense?

As Len states people are wary that certain long standing staff members all left the club 18 months after it was taken over
    Rumours fly around that there were transfer targets 12 months ago which did not materialise
    Too many strikers released but the squad isn't strengthened until the last minute
    Each seasons losses are being run up as loans and NOT new equity into the club - this might cause issues later on.

I expect we would all like to see last seasons progress repeated so that the club gets closer to the Premier League. Getting into the Play-offs would be a great step as it would turn a 1 in 8 chance of promotion into a 1 in 4 chance. But it's going to be a lot harder this season because Leeds are back and the relegated clubs are not rubbish like last time.

I won't make a call on the current squad (and by implication the board) until I have seen a few games, the window has closed and we know who might come in on loan. And just how far we are from the top 6.

As per your discussion with Len and his credit card, the club only makes sense if it get to the Premier League once in a while as that is where the real money is... some short term investment to improve the weakest parts of the squad has to be the way to secure 10 more points than last season.

The irony is that peeps is having a moan after the best finish in six years and it has cost £15M in losses to move within 3 points of the play-offs and reverse 5 or 6 years of downward spiral. The real question is whether the board have the funds and more importantly the luck to make it happen.

Finally a well balanced post. It appears from the above SR that you have the best interests of the club at heart and not a hidden agenda. This post has taken a long time coming but was worth the wait I hope others take the time to read and understand the points you have made
  • Options

I can see where Vincent is coming from. I don't have any inside knowledge of anything, don't know anyoneITK. But... isn't our real problem the fact that it seems to be impossible to run the club at a profit in the championship, in spite of decent attendances in the league? That's what any prospective buyer would want- a profit. So how do you think he'd go about getting it? Answers please on a postcard to Valley Floyd Road.

'
    Andy all you need to do is listen to Peterborough's chairman. Live by your means and sell the odd player when you need to. Or better still get promoted to the PL
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent

Finally a well balanced post. It appears from the above SR that you have the best interests of the club at heart and not a hidden agenda. This post has taken a long time coming but was worth the wait I hope others take the time to read and understand the points you have made

You should have said you was just looking for someone who agrees with you. We could have arranged that yesterday and saved on all this phaffing :-)
  • Options

Vincent said:

Vincent

You should have said you was just looking for someone who agrees with you. We could have arranged that yesterday and saved on all this phaffing :-)
    AFKA tell me why we are not in a better position now than before these two took over when RM had run out of money and was desperate to keep the club alive
  • Options
    Can some one tell me how many teams boards of Directors are completely transparent with their supporters?
    I personally think a lot of the criticism is sour grapes. Agree with you comment Vincent.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent

AFKA tell me why we are not in a better position now than before these two took over when RM had run out of money and was desperate to keep the club alive
    Be honest, you don't really want him to do you.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent

Man alive! Does it ever stop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can some one tell me how many teams boards of Directors are completely transparent with their supporters?
    I personally think a lot of the criticism is sour grapes. Agree with you comment Vincent.

I'm sure you are right but quite frankly so what. I don't care about other clubs. I want to know who owns Charlton Athletic - My club. I want to know why they own it, what their intentions are and what their exit strategy is. I have a 52 year attending The Valley investment and the well being of the football club is to me very important.

• Options

I can tell you one for a start.

Swansea City

• Options

Swansea City

Prague please, Swansea are doing very well is it not easy to be open with your supporters at times like these, although the biggest club in the UK one of the biggest in Europe and indeed world football are very secretive of how things are run with lots of criticism of the owners by their supporters for all their motives for buying the Club and they have just one the PL for the is it 18th time I have lost count.
  • Options

I'm sure you are right but quite frankly so what. I don't care about other clubs. I want to know who owns Charlton Athletic - My club. I want to know why they own it, what their intentions are and what their exit strategy is. I have a 52 year attending The Valley investment and the well being of the football club is to me very important.

SHG funny thing I have supported Charlton for 42 years and apart from the Murray/Curbishley years have seen mainly 2nd and 3rd tier football. Strange how so many wanted Curbs out because of his style of football, however in my 42 years the past 2 have been as good as most including the Mike Bailey and Andy Nelson years so my concerns are no worst now than they were when I was 8

• Options
    DRF said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent

Be honest, you don't really want him to do you.
    I do but if he is unable to why don't you do it for him
  • Options
    Stig said:

Vincent said:

Vincent said:

Vincent

Man alive! Does it ever stop?
    Please explain your comment does what ever stop
  • Options
    Vincent said:

SHG funny thing I have supported Charlton for 42 years and apart from the Murray/Curbishley years have seen mainly 2nd and 3rd tier football. Strange how so many wanted Curbs out because of his style of football, however in my 42 years the past 2 have been as good as most including the Mike Bailey and Andy Nelson years so my concerns are no worst now than they were when I was 8

Confirmation that you are on a wind up Vincent. I wont bite any more. Hope you get a job soon.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

Swansea City

Prague please, Swansea are doing very well is it not easy to be open with your supporters at times like these, although the biggest club in the UK one of the biggest in Europe and indeed world football are very secretive of how things are run with lots of criticism of the owners by their supporters for all their motives for buying the Club and they have just one the PL for the is it 18th time I have lost count.
    You've missed the point. Swansea City are 20% owned by their supporters. Ordinary supporters are in key positions on the Board. When they took over they were next to bottom of League Two. That was just eight years ago. Pity you didnt watch the BBC documentary on it the other night.

I give up, and kind of think you should too.

• Options

Vincent said:

Confirmation that you are on a wind up Vincent. I wont bite any more. Hope you get a job soon.
    TT I am not on a wind up and my views although in the minority are genuine and thanks for your kind words re the job
  • Options

Vincent said:

Swansea City

You've missed the point. Swansea City are 20% owned by their supporters. Ordinary supporters are in key positions on the Board. When they took over they were next to bottom of League Two. That was just eight years ago. Pity you didnt watch the BBC documentary on it the other night.

I give up, and kind of think you should too.

Prague why did you ignore the reference to Manchester United. If anyone on here wishes to join the board and lose millions why not do so. I love Charlton but the most I could afford to risk is less than £100 but would still pay more for my ST if it made a difference.