Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the scapegoat

Game 1 Pritchard
Game 2 Green
Game 3 ?

Comments

• Options
    Sordell
  • Options
    Church, And I say that with quite high confidence.
  • Options
    Sordell
  • Options
    Why do we seem to be the only Club where rational analysis of the team and management's performance quickly descends into a debate about so called scapegoats ?

Why are some people so ultra defensive about Chris Powell's management ?

In the last 5 mins yesterday we were pumping 50 yard high balls towards our furthest man forward...Lawrie Wilson.
  • Options
    Is seems you're not allowed to say someone had a shit game apparently.
  • Options
    No one - when several players, particularly the best ones, have off days, you are not going any points at Championship level even against a limited side like Middlesbrough. Middlesbrough were organised and managed to do enough to deserve the three points. If 3 of the best 4 or 5 players had been up to par, I think we might well have won. Kermorgant is usually a handful for any defence, but he was bottled up and seemed to spend most of the game looking for fouls or complaining. With the exception of Dervite, who played very well, the back four all had unusually poor games, both defensively and in distribution. Hopefully, next week will be different.
  • Options

Why do we seem to be the only Club where rational analysis of the team and management's performance quickly descends into a debate about so called scapegoats ?

In the last 5 mins yesterday we were pumping 50 yard high balls towards our furthest man forward...Lawrie Wilson.

And for 15 minutes everyone saw Boro's goal coming but CP left to late to change things yet again
  • Options
    Vincent said:

And for 15 minutes everyone saw Boro's goal coming but CP left to late to change things yet again
    I suspect he was settling for the point. Boro didn't offer much, to be honest. It took a pretty terrible goal to break the deadlock. You can't blame Powell for that.
  • Options
    Slater
  • Options

Vincent said:

I suspect he was settling for the point. Boro didn't offer much, to be honest. It took a pretty terrible goal to break the deadlock. You can't blame Powell for that.
    I blame Powell for not responding when Boro started pushing forward after 54 minutes all around me could see Boro were the more likely to score but left it too late to bring on Subs. I agree up till then they had posed little threat
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would say Hamer but there is zero chance of him being blamed for anything.

Only unchallenged postion on the pitch.
  • Options
    Why would you worry? People on here are entitled to an opinion. Even though they may necer have played the game at any decent level, never coached a team or have very limited knowledge of the game, they have a voice. Treat it with the respect it deserves
  • Options
    I also will criticise Powell for certain things. He is far too cautious with using our excellent academy prospects. For example, at the age Fox and Poyet are now, Konch and Parker were already playing for the 1st team, in the Premiership. Now, these players may not be as good as Konch and Parker, but the team itself is in a lower league.

(I am not saying that these players are necessarily are better than what we have, this is just an example. But I would also say that Poyet is not necessarily the best midfielder in our academy at the moment.)

BUT, I will defend CP, as I defended Curbs, and as I defend managers of any club. The manager sees the players in training all week. He looks at how they play, practices formations, dead balls, who defends what etc. etc.

Then he picks his team for Saturday. But once those 11 players cross that white line, he has limited control. I'm sure Yann wasn't playing as badly in training as he did yesterday. He can't make 11 substitutions, because everyone is having a 'mare.

And when things go badly wrong, it is always the manager who get's the chop, never the players...
  • Options
    The OP needs to understand what the word scapegoat means as he obviously hasn't got a clue !
  • Options
    Don't get it. Green was crap and a liability yesterday. I don't hold it against him. I didn't hold not being good enough against Simon Francis or Akpo Sodje. If Chris Solly has a mare next week I will say I thought he did but I won't think of him being a scapegoat.
  • Options

Don't get it. Green was crap and a liability yesterday. I don't hold it against him. I didn't hold not being good enough against Simon Francis or Akpo Sodje. If Chris Solly has a mare next week I will say I thought he did but I won't think of him being a scapegoat.

Good post
  • Options
    Greenie said:

The OP needs to understand what the word scapegoat means as he obviously hasn't got a clue !

Maybe you should get your dictionary out Greenie.
    I fully understand what scapegoat means and it's origins.
    Seems apt on CL as every defeat seems to result in one of our players being targeted as not good enough.

• Options

Greenie said:

Seems apt on CL as every defeat seems to result in one of our players being targeted as not good enough.

They were 'targeted' (crticised) because they weren't good enough but no ones making them a 'scapegoat' so like I said you obviously have no idea what scapegoat means!
  • Options

Greenie said:

Possibly because it is true in Green's case
  • Options
    It's not making them the scapegoat, it's saying they were shit the other day. Which they were, pure and simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For the OP

Noun
    (in the Bible) A goat sent into the wilderness after the Jewish chief priest had symbolically laid the sins of the people upon it (Lev. 16).

After yesterday there were a whole bunch of players who were responsible and one manager FACT so presumably using your rational our whole team are scapegoats now!
    No they were shite and we have been telling them on this forum.

• Options
    Can't stand the use of the word scapegoat on here.

If someone's had a stinker then fans have every right to point it out. If a large portion of fans point it out then it's probably true that the player mentioned was toilet.

That doesn't make them a scapegoat!!!
  • Options

I also will criticise Powell for certain things. He is far too cautious with using our excellent academy prospects. For example, at the age Fox and Poyet are now, Konch and Parker were already playing for the 1st team, in the Premiership. Now, these players may not be as good as Konch and Parker, but the team itself is in a lower league.

(I am not saying that these players are necessarily are better than what we have, this is just an example. But I would also say that Poyet is not necessarily the best midfielder in our academy at the moment.)

BUT, I will defend CP, as I defended Curbs, and as I defend managers of any club. The manager sees the players in training all week. He looks at how they play, practices formations, dead balls, who defends what etc. etc.

Then he picks his team for Saturday. But once those 11 players cross that white line, he has limited control. I'm sure Yann wasn't playing as badly in training as he did yesterday. He can't make 11 substitutions, because everyone is having a 'mare.

And when things go badly wrong, it is always the manager who get's the chop, never the players...

Parker and Konch played the occasional game. They weren't regulars. Big difference.

In addition there were better players to support them. Any youngster coming in now will sink or swim as he will be completely exposed particularly in midfield.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    Name the Scapegoat:

Baphomet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet

or if you prefer

Billy if it is a male or Gertrude if it is a female.

(I should probably get off the computer and go do something constructive)
  • Options
    I blame Paddy Powell. Too much grass on that pitch.
  • Options

Very good post
  • Options

Are we the only club that does that? Without looking at every similar website I'd wager that quite a few unfairly blame one or two players.

Because in his two and half years of management he managed to rebuild the playing squad and lead the club first to a promotion with a record points haul and then to ninth and all without being able to spend big money. You might like to use the search facility here and take a look at the Powell out threads that cropped up after his first few matches/months when he was less than successful. The considered opinion of a lot of people here was that his appointment was tokenism because he was a well-loved ex-player but he was otherwise clueless and no way would he lead us to promotion. A few months later there was a lot of sheepish eating of humble pie. As far as I'm concerned he's earned the right to make a few mistakes and given that he's operating under severely constrained financial circumstances I'm prepared to cut him a bit more slack.

• Options
    OTT post no ones saying Powell out or Powell is shit ,period. But no one is above criticism, our team or our manager, and as supporters we can and will voice our opinions.
    I love Powell being the manager if my team but he and the team did not have a good day yesterday, he's had stinkers before and he will again and he will be criticised that's what supporters do!
  • Options
    BFR

I remember when Boro won at our place last season and their fans chanted "Tony Mowbray, he's one of us". Yesterday on the way in the same fans were chanting for his sacking. C'est la vie ...thats football, its what comes with this six figure salary and the Mercedes coupe.

The difference is here that a section of our support has a default mechanism which wants to close down all debate about Powell while giving him the FALSE status of a demi God ("a laugh") whilst snidely attacking those who don't agree.

I have been s Charlton fan for over 40 years and have only been on this site two days (thanks to the moderators BTW), but already I recognise the tone of some familar old faces from Club's Your Views site.

To use your own analogy..i am sure if you go back over the last two years you will see plenty of Powell critics shouted down, and always by the same posters, on here.

And it is noticed on other Charlton sites as well, where some posters have gained quite a reputation.

Tolerance cuts both ways.

• Options

BFR

The difference is here that a section of our support has a default mechanism which wants to close down all debate about Powell while giving him the FALSE status of a demi God ("a laugh") whilst snidely attacking those who don't agree.

How would you know that there is a default mechanism that always to prevent any debate about Chris Powell if you've only been here for two days?

A whole two days is not much of a sample to go on is it? And tends to back my point up about the kneejerk reaction brigade who want a scpaegoat.