Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the scapegoat

Comments

• Options

BFR

The difference is here that a section of our support has a default mechanism which wants to close down all debate about Powell while giving him the FALSE status of a demi God ("a laugh") whilst snidely attacking those who don't agree.

How would you know that there is a default mechanism that always to prevent any debate about Chris Powell if you've only been here for two days?

A whole two days is not much of a sample to go on is it? And tends to back my point up about the kneejerk reaction brigade who want a scpaegoat.

I've been on here for the whole of CP's tenure and MaginotAddick is spot on tbf
  • Options

BFR

I remember when Boro won at our place last season and their fans chanted "Tony Mowbray, he's one of us". Yesterday on the way in the same fans were chanting for his sacking. C'est la vie ...thats football, its what comes with this six figure salary and the Mercedes coupe.

The difference is here that a section of our support has a default mechanism which wants to close down all debate about Powell while giving him the FALSE status of a demi God ("a laugh") whilst snidely attacking those who don't agree.

I have been s Charlton fan for over 40 years and have only been on this site two days (thanks to the moderators BTW), but already I recognise the tone of some familar old faces from Club's Your Views site.

To use your own analogy..i am sure if you go back over the last two years you will see plenty of Powell critics shouted down, and always by the same posters, on here.

And it is noticed on other Charlton sites as well, where some posters have gained quite a reputation.

O yes

Tolerance cuts both ways.

• Options
    BFR

I said go back two years mate, or back to when Powell got the job. I only joined two days ago but have read the posts on a regular basis, as you would if you have been a fan as long as i have. The point is, and I include you in this, there are a group of fans and posters on here who "play the man, not the ball" when it comes to debating Powell's acumen as a manager. Valley Gary's earlier post was a good case in point...

"you are getting on my tits"

I would imagine that other posters on CL (possibly not Powell disciples) have been banned for less.

I have got no agenda against Chris who was a great player, is a thoroughly decent human being, and could in time become great manager. I just think some of the posters on here do him a disservice with their intolerance.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ok Bertie Smalls. You are though.

You've made your point over and over an over again.

You took a snippet of oohaah's post and used it for your agenda.

We got what you was saying the first time, I'm not sure you needed to say it another 30. I've criticised Powell before, and then let it go, because I know he's a manager still learning, and the best way to do that is to learn from mistakes.

You've been on here two days, already made a name for yourself. Well done. Now, let it go.
  • Options

BFR

I said go back two years mate, or back to when Powell got the job. I only joined two days ago but have read the posts on a regular basis, as you would if you have been a fan as long as i have. The point is, and I include you in this, there are a group of fans and posters on here who "play the man, not the ball" when it comes to debating Powell's acumen as a manager. Valley Gary's earlier post was a good case in point...

I would imagine that other posters on CL (possibly not Powell disciples) have been banned for less.

I have got no agenda against Chris who was a great player, is a thoroughly decent human being, and could in time become great manager. I just think some of the posters on here do him a disservice with their intolerance.

The thread is about picking up a scape goat, and I think everyone can guess who's yours is Maginot.

On various threads, I have read many responses to the accusation that there is no tolerance of a dissenting view, of Chris Powell but you choose to ignore the responses that specifically answer your points and selective quote. There is a lot of critique on all the threads about tactics, which you conveniently ignore. You don't seem to accept the views of those who do support CP, most of them, who acknowledge that he makes mistakes.

Who are you anyway ? An agent trying to free up a post for a client or under instruction ? What is the purpose of your multiple posting ?

With the majority of the team out of contract, with no money, changing the manager, who proved that he can build team spirit for a new manager who will have no resources would be a fast track to relegation.

Your feelings are made and you can state your opinion. Saying it 50 times is just plain annoying. Maybe what posters are getting tired off, is your going on about it on multiple threads. It is very tiresome. Everybody knows your point, stop trying to build the bandwagon.

• Options
    vff said:

BFR

The thread is about picking up a scape goat, and I think everyone can guess who's yours is Maginot.

On various threads, I have read many responses to the accusation that there is no tolerance of a dissenting view, of Chris Powell but you choose to ignore the responses that specifically answer your points and selective quote. There is a lot of critique on all the threads about tactics, which you conveniently ignore. You don't seem to accept the views of those who do support CP, most of them, who acknowledge that he makes mistakes.

Who are you anyway ? An agent trying to free up a post for a client or under instruction ? What is the purpose of your multiple posting ?

With the majority of the team out of contract, with no money, changing the manager, who proved that he can build team spirit for a new manager who will have no resources would be a fast track to relegation.

Your feelings are made and you can state your opinion. Saying it 50 times is just plain annoying. Maybe what posters are getting tired off, is your going on about it on multiple threads. It is very tiresome. Everybody knows your point, stop trying to build the bandwagon.

When people like you and Valley Gary selectively quote me, I shall reply. I don't take instructions or lectures from you, and wasn't aware that I had too. If you find my posts annoying then don't read them.

I know that Powell is trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. He also makes for a useful human shield right now for the owners, given yesterday's revelations. For that reason alone I think he will stay on.

Nobody in the Sir Chris clique has actually explained how comes you could steer an aircraft carrier through the gap between our midfield and attack yesterday....but I will await the explanation with interest. The same people were calling for Parky's head three years back when he also tried to do the job with his hands tied behind his back.

Some fans "learning on the job" reads like "the little old Corinthian spirit Charlton mentality" to others.

I just don't understand this hyper sensitive touchiness where CP is concerned.

• Options
    There's a difference between pointing out someone had a bad game and getting the knives out for a player. A lot of what has been posted about Green is just saying he was rubbish against Boro. However on this site there are a number who use a bad game as an opportunity to moan about a player in general. Pritch last week got dog's abuse for being a terrible player who can't run, tackle, cross, pass. I think he was described as 'wank all day'. During our bad run last season Powell was called 'tactically inept' repeatedly. This being the manager who won League 1 with the highest points total ever and got us within 3 points of the Play-Offs last season. Everyone can criticise a player who has a bad game but I think some posters just need to stop and think about the line between criticising a performance and shouting and screaming that a player should be shipped out because he had a bad day
  • Options
    My god, give it a rest ffs.

Both vff and myself understand the point you are making. You've made it non stop since you've been on here.

How many times do i have to spell it out for you. CP IS NOT ABOVE CRITICISM, I'VE CRITICISED HIM MYSELF BEFORE.

So you keep banging on about this imaginary clique, cos this is the last I'm gonna talk to you about it, cos quite frankly, well, your getting on my tits.
  • Options
    VG fuck em mate

the simple answer to his question is

Lge 1 Champions and 9th in the championship in his first 2 full seasons thats the grace scp has and if you cant see that then piss off
  • Options
    *Note to OP*

Whose Rack is a better game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL

Fair play mate. We move on to Barnsley.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

*Note to OP*

Whose Rack is a better game.

Who's OP ? Is "he/she" in the clique ?

• Options
    Operation Pig ?
  • Options
    Billy the Kid
  • Options

Operation Pig ?

There's a worthy scapegoat, I kid, I quite like him posting.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I think the weighted average system on the player voting gives balance and highlights how extreme a minority of comments are on here. It is no coincidence that the players with the lowest scores over the season tend not to get their contract renewed ... and that's not because CP looks on here before advising the board on squad strategy!
    The merits of marking CP have been debated - I don't feel qualified but there are a handful on here who show consistent insight about precisely how / why things work / don't work

When the Trust did a survey on extending CP contract the vast majority gave it a 4 or 5/5 but some voted 1, 2 or 3 (neutral). People have different views and that's why Charlton Life exists innit?
  • Options

VG fuck em mate

the simple answer to his question is

Lge 1 Champions and 9th in the championship in his first 2 full seasons thats the grace scp has and if you cant see that then piss off

With only 14,800 in the ground yesterday, I dont think the Club can afford me to mate.

• Options
    then stop looking for things that aint there

champions with record points and 9th now tell me why he cant have grace
  • Options

then stop looking for things that aint there

champions with record points and 9th now tell me why he cant have grace

My position is on Powell is very similar to friend Valley Garry's. So similar in fact, I am thinking of renaming myself ValleyBarry. Or Harry.

Powell has done well on limited resources. Yesterday was pathetic and he as manager was culpable. There is no point replacing him unless we get new owners with lots of money. He is NOT learning on the job, he has been our manager for over two years which makes him one of the most experienced in the football league. During that time he has been on more courses than Red Rum. Good luck to.him, but please judge him by the same standards as the other 91 managers, or if you and Fanny can't, please allow the rest of us to.

Cheers.

• Options

That CP has made mistakes is not in question - and guess what, he'll make more, plenty more.

After several seasons of disastrous management on and off the park he has rebuilt the squad, helped revitalise the academy, has led us to one promotion and then on to 9th in the Championship. Even now we are still playing largely with the squad he put together a couple of seasons ago - and if you follow some of the threads concerning the club's finances you'll appreciate that he's operating under some pretty tight constraints. For example I doubt that he would have wanted to sign up half of our strike force just two days before the season started or see the reserve keeper get sold in the same week. So I'm prepared to cut him some slack because I appreciate that he's trying to stretch some already meagre resources out very thinly. He's done all that despite a lot of criticism the day after from short-term thinkers who demand that this player should be dropped and why hasn't so and so played etc and forecast doom and gloom at every opportunity.

I'm of the Curbs/Lennie Lawrence generation that saw the benefits of sticking with a manager and I also witnessed the constant chopping and changing of players under Pardew that saw us get relegated twice in three years. So I fully understand that knee-jerk reactions rarely bring the success that we want to see and indeed invariably make things worse. You don't get to be consistently right as often as Chris Powell has through pure luck or by following the more inane suggestions that pass as tactical and strategic suggestions here. In my book he is well in credit and he will have to take up eating babies in the centre circle or something before I turn against him. While there has been plenty of knee-jerk reactions and there'll be plenty more he has generally had the last laugh.

In CP I trust.

The rest is about being anally retentive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BFR

How would you know that there is a default mechanism that always to prevent any debate about Chris Powell if you've only been here for two days?

A whole two days is not much of a sample to go on is it? And tends to back my point up about the kneejerk reaction brigade who want a scpaegoat.

BFR how rude
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I said I wouldn't comment again but can't let this one slide;

He is NOT learning on the job, he has been our manager for over two years which makes him one of the most experienced in the football league.

I'm sorry but that's crap and you know it is.

He's only been managing for 2 and a half years, whereas most of the other managers have had a lot more than that. Just because he's kept his job doesn't automatically make him more experienced. If you was to go through the league CP has probably got one of the smallest managerial CV's in the league!!
  • Options
    Gary

Remind me again...and don't forget that you and I broadly agree with each other on Chris P....when he led us to 101 points in League One, wasn't it with far greater resources than any other manager bar Sheff Wed ? Wasn't he given the Jenkinson money to go out and buy a new team ?

He has been in tenure longer than 80% of his peers in this League. Make excuses and defend him, but don't say he is still learning ..
  • Options
    He is still learning.
  • Options
    Did no one stay until the end on Saturday and hear the booing from around the ground, that is more representative of the views of Charlton supporters who attend the Valley and a lot of anti board pro CP and Pro the players but only when they are playing well.
    Still thank god for democracy and us all having the right to share our views with being abused
  • Options
    Just as a general question to others, if you had the hypothetical choice in 2014 of getting new owners who had promised £10m for new players and a promotion push BUT wanted their own man is as manager (i.e au revoir Sir Chris) , which would you choose ?
  • Options

Just as a general question to others, if you had the hypothetical choice in 2014 of getting new owners who had promised £10m for new players and a promotion push BUT wanted their own man is as manager (i.e au revoir Sir Chris) , which would you choose ?

Good question - Bye Chris

• Options
    Which all begs the question - who replaces him ?......
  • Options

Gary

Remind me again...and don't forget that you and I broadly agree with each other on Chris P....when he led us to 101 points in League One, wasn't it with far greater resources than any other manager bar Sheff Wed ? Wasn't he given the Jenkinson money to go out and buy a new team ?

He has been in tenure longer than 80% of his peers in this League. Make excuses and defend him, but don't say he is still learning ..

...and finished just outside the play offs in a league where most other teams have better funding. Boro just spent a reported 1 million on one player. Not really sure what your argument is to be honest. It started with Powell has done a good job but isn't beyond criticism (fair enough) and has changed to, he's had a whole 2 1/2 seasons of managing so he can't still be learning and we only won the league because of the money he was given to spend. Money, incidentally, earned after playing a player who wasn't even in the squad under the previous manager.
  • Options
    My argument is more a question..why do a section of our fans brook no criticism in any circumstances of C.Powell, and what's more pounce like Tom on Jerry on those of us with doubts.

Thanks to BFR for spelling out his position. I dont agree with it, but appreciate his view.

The point about the Jenkinson £1m was that while getting promotion with 101 points was great, it can't be claimed that CP has never had backing, because that year he was supported.