Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Doncaster Match thread 24/8/13 - GAME ABANDONED

Comments

• Options
    I don't really think you can make many hard and fast judgements after today. Either about how good Doncaster were, or how bad we were, or how good Jordan Cousins is, the conditions overrode everything.
    The real worry is the headspace of the players, Hamer going into one all the time, Yann playing in a different game to everybody else. Cousins getting on with it as the new boy (a good thing by the way), Wiggins and Harriott not looking for excuses, but maybe Morrison was.
    All of this I don't know, because today was a one off unusual experience. If we had played the second half, kicking towards the unplayable end against ten men, they could have suffered as we did. Their keeper even made about two and a half good saves during the first farcical spell.
    The referee was in a difficult situation, but was right to call it off, after all it is supposed to be a game of football, a sport, but today was impossible to describe as much of a game.
    Ironic the goalscorers get them chalked off, but the (rightly given) red card suspension stands.
    Keep calm and move on. The team selection for Tuesday night is going to be very significant indeed I reckon.
  • Options
    sounds like defence has lost the plot , back to basics for me and look to grind some results out

i just don't think we're that good and the honeymoon is over but SCP and his team have to get these players performing to their max to give us a chance and they are some way off that atm (I hope !!)

top 6 0% ....................... 7th-12th 5% ................. 13th-21st 70% ............ bottom3 25%
  • Options
    I actually thought we looked decent going forward. Played through the midfield and got Harriott involved. Cousins looked comfortable and will surely get a run of games. Kermorgant looked good too. I think we had five or six decent efforts on goal in the first half which is the most for a while.
    However...at the back we looked terrible and I include Solly and Wggins in that. There is no cohesion amongst them and they were all having a go at each other after the second goal. However at was caused by the ball sticking in the six yard box and Morrison panicking and clearing it when Hamer was about to smother it. Their third goal hit the player in the face from a clearance and flew in.
    There are cracks appearing and I would say that Morrison has to bear the brunt of the criticism for this. He looks devoid of ability and confidence at the moment and this is having an impact on the others.

• Options

Defence is the worrying part of our team, which is disappointing because it is usually our strength.

15 home games without a clean sheet might argue otherwise.

• Options
    Biggest problem in the Defence for me is that Morrison needs to get back to leading the back four and nothing else...

For one corner he couldnt marshal the penalty area and get everything organised because he was having to talk to the referee as the Captain
  • Options

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
  • Options
    Whether Morro should be in the team is debatable. Whether he should be captain?
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
    Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, and East Thurrock then
  • Options
    Don't like Pritchard on the right, much prefer Solly with Wilson in front of him. Think it makes us stronger defensively and we need that right now. Wiggins looks out of sorts and we need JJ back. Agree, Cousins did well but he needs someone alongside to cover for him, he can't be left to do it alone.

Glad the ref called it off. I agree that Donny were down to 10 and had they crappy end of the pitch to contend with in the 2nd half but there's no way we could have played football in that end either and two of their goals were our cock ups. Donny, down to 10 men, wouldn't have made silly mistakes like that don't think.

Nice touch by Doncaster at the end with the shirts for their fans.
  • Options
    I wonder how much of an influence the crowd were in getting the game called off today? They were loud at times calling out "off off off" and calling for any Charlton player who was holding the ball to bounce it to show the ref how bad it was. Maybe for once Charlton can say the crowd influenced the ref like others do when they play us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defence crap. Attack OK.

The pitch by the east stand was unplayable.

We can't cope in the centre of defence at the moment, so frustrating. They must've done that free kick flick routine four times and we never picked up on it.
  • Options

Our game against Bournemouth looks shocking now...a 5-1 loss for them at Huddersfield.

Not forgetting the 6-1 at Watford
    They could have been 3-1 at half time in that game!

Think Bournemouth might be like POSH of last season - score loads but let a few in.

Sometimes you need luck in the game - maybe this is yours.

• Options
    Going forward we looked pretty good, but were a shambles at the back. The conditions did play a major part in this - the Covered End penalty box was far worse then the JS one, especially before the suspension, but defence aren't playing well as a unit. Maybe Wood deserves a chance?
  • Options
    Morrison not good enough?
  • Options
    That red card was hilarious... He yellow carded the wrong player for the first yellow card from what I could tell so should be overturned on appeal...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Was a complete joke and I think the referee handled the whole thing incredibly poorly.

Hoping that going 3-0 down inside 25 minutes, but getting away with it, will be a season changing moment for us.

Despite all that, I don't think we played particularly bad (fight was lacking though). 3-0, at the time, was a totally unfair reflection of the two teams and although our defence was struggling, I'm sure what else they could do when they're passes were holding up in the waterlogged pitch, whilst the ball was getting caught under foot every time they hoofed it long. It as far too easy for them to gain terrority and they exploited the conditions ruthlessly.

Pitch was unplayable in the left back quarter of the pitch as well as in our penalty area and around it.

Our game against Bournemouth looks shocking now...a 5-1 loss for them at Huddersfield.

Not forgetting the 6-1 at Watford
    But convienently forgetting their 100% home record thus far including beating Wigan 1-0... maybe they're just sh*te away from home.
  • Options
    Sky bet paid out on donny win, didn't expect that
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

That red card was hilarious... He yellow carded the wrong player for the first yellow card from what I could tell so should be overturned on appeal...

Keegan kicked the ball away for the first one. Thats what I thought

• Options
    well that was wierd
    i honestly think we were so unlucky, the pitch helped them so much, especially with the 2nd goal, i think the team played very well tbh
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For those that weren't there, Foreveraddickted and sirjohn humphrey summed it up perfectly. And the ref booked the wrong player for the first foul on Yann. We had some decent chances too. One half of the pitch especially the goalmouth and east stand side were unplayabe. I also thought their 3rd goal came from thr ball sticking in the area when it should have run out for a goalkick and forced Morro to hack it out for a corner. Overall a bit of a farcical game albeit quite entertaining for all the wrong reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like a pantomime down there today lads.

Saw a 3-1 home win today (Dumbarton v Morton) in perfect weather up here BTW, although not too smug as I am back down for the Foxes game.

Hope you all dry out ok.
  • Options
    I actually think it was a pretty good laugh... It couldn't be described as football to be fair.
  • Options
    The mistake with the sending off of the Doncaster player, may have influenced the referee in abandoning the game and for the Doncaster to accept it, given that playing with 10 men after playing mid week on a heavy waterlogged pitch may have led to them losing the game.

Chris Powell is a lucky manager today.
  • Options
    We were good going forward. Harriot was a menace.

At the back.

The first we tried to play offside from a Throw in.

The second slowed up in our 6 yard Box and caused havoc when solly thought it was his.

Third was just pure fluke.

It sounds silly but apart from these three occasions we looked dangerous and if it wasn't for turnbull wr could of been Level at ht.
  • Options
    Get them in tomorrow for a training session. Defensively absolutely woeful.

I don't boo, I don't criticize the boys regularly. But that was woeful. Forget about the rain.

The rain didnt have an affect on us the previous three fixtures...
  • Options
    It did today though
  • Options
    Midfield and attack not too bad defence poor.

Keep Cousins in even if Jacko is fit. Drop Gower for him.

The pitch was very wet and you could see water splashing in the air when the players ran near the East Stand touchline in particular and the ball stopped in puddles all over the pitch.

I had a 70 mile round trip in the rain and the A2 and M2 had a lot of surface water too in various places.

Not much else to say really. We probably got away with one today.

• Options
    _nam11 said:

The rain didnt have an affect on us the previous three fixtures...

Trouble is though the rain today caused an issue many times over... Morrison had the ball, he turned the attacker, the ball stayed where it was, meaning it was now behind Morro still in front of the attacker but with Morrison out of position.

One of the big reasons I love football is because of how unpredictable it is (else we'd be winning millions in accers every week) sometimes you can have a bit of luck, sometimes it can go completely against you.

Two out of three goals today went completely against us and it may result in us having a bit of luck in the next couple of games ourselves (maybe it'll happen later in the season but luck happens to pretty much every club over the course of the season).

Yes we were extremely lucky to have the match called off today but for other events things could be quite different,

i.e. When we played Fulham in our relegation year, we lost (and conceded) because a throw-in was given incorrectly... Am sure we've had many other occurrences like this over the years but for once today we had the rare occurrence where it did go in our favour so enjoy it... It dont happen often being a Charlton fan
  • Options
    All those players not feeling that the club appreciate their services by not offering new contracts and promises not met has resulted in the low morale of the team

If we still have all our squad after Leicester then we may be ok but this is a fact we have some seriously pissee of first teamers with the contract situation and powell has his work cut out getting them in a good place in their heads

Not sure what my feelings are on this tbh but explains a lot
  • Options
    The waterlogged pitch made a critical difference to how the match was played. Although the waterlogged pitch wasn't directly involved with the goals, Doncaster almost certainly benefited from the conditions to the point where it became a farce.