Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Doncaster Match thread 24/8/13 - GAME ABANDONED

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Grumpy, Keegans second yellow was for hauling Yann down. One thing we will definitely not know is how we would have done against ten men in the second half considering in the first half we had some decent chances along with the one we did stick in the back of the net. Some reasons to be cheerful......
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Grumpy, Keegans second yellow was for hauling Yann down. One thing we will definitely not know is how we would have done against ten men in the second half considering in the first half we had some decent chances along with the one we did stick in the back of the net. Some reasons to be cheerful......

We will never know for sure but there were several thousand cheering Addicks when the match was abandoned and some very sad looking Donny fans..they all knew who got out of jail and who was robbed of three points.
  • Options
    Grumpy - their '4th goal' was absolutely, indisputably offside.
  • Options
    Nadou said:

Grumpy - their '4th goal' was absolutely, indisputably offside.

Fair dos. The NWQ is not the best place for offside accuracy but I thought it was a nicely worked move with the little back flick.

• Options

1StevieG said:

We will never know for sure but there were several thousand cheering Addicks when the match was abandoned and some very sad looking Donny fans..they all knew who got out of jail and who was robbed of three points.
    Not ashamed to admit I was one of those calling for it to be abandoned ( but changed my tune when we got one back and had the advantage of the extra man on the pitch! ).
  • Options
    Had the score stood and with a loosable game coming up, a relegation scrap was on the cards (still might be). Perhaps squad unhappiness may get through to TJ and he'll realise a Champ club is a lot more saleable than a L1 and lower his demands.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013

Had the score stood and with a loosable game coming up, a relegation scrap was on the cards (still might be). Perhaps squad unhappiness may get through to TJ and he'll realise a Champ club is a lot more saleable than a L1 and lower his demands.

We can bloody dream, but in terms of business sense and good business practice, I see scant evidence of that with TJ. The man's ego seems to get in the the way of good business decisions. An example of that is letting all the players contracts run to zero, not selling Stephens when given a reasonable opportunity and not selling the club at a reasonable price, which appears to be in pursuit of a profit to the detriment of everything else, even at a risk to their own or KCs investment.

It is clear to all and sundry and anyone with a brain the trouble the club is in, and TJ appears to be risking the whole club ( or the mystery owner does - people reckon Kevin Cash but it is more like Simon Jordan, with the current decision making ) on getting a price, that investors are laughing at.
  • Options

I was impressed by Cousins.

Also impressed with Cousins when he had the ball. Composed in possession and was comfortable with the pace of the game.

Not so impressed when he lost his direct opponent on the opening goal, when Keegan ran off him into the box to score with a free header.

We need to get the midfield sorted out. We are too easy to play against and allowed too many opportunities for Doncaster to attack an exposed Back Four on the counter attack.

It would have been interesting to see how we got on attacking the waterlogged end of the ground in the second half, against ten men.

• Options
    The North Stand end was farcical and a mare for the keeper and defenders - I felt at half time that they wouldn't be relishing defending that with a player down. I think the worst outcome for us would have been a point.

Still, it wasn't really football and the pitch was already damaged. The damage it could have incurred would have been terrible seeing as today was only game 2.

Right decison by the ref in the end. The problem was, some of the pitch was perfectly playable but a lot of rain came down in a short space of time and there was nowhere for it to go.
  • Options
    That's definitely up there as one of the strangest days I've had as a football fan. Have a read of my views here: http://chrispowellsflatcap.wordpress.com/2013/08/24/floodgates-open-as-referee-opts-to-abandon-ship/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    It happened right from the start: Donny had a throw-in, they lobbed it down to the corner, the man swung it to the box, and it was one-nil. When we have a throw-in, we simply don't know what to do with it.

Are you telling me that man-for-man we can't match Donny Rovers? Who are those players? It was the same against Boro: our midfield and our defence were sliced open in the first minute. We are vacant.

On Charlton Life we have professors, head-teachers, photographers, musicians, financial analysts, roofers, carpet-layers, sportsmen, architects, campaigners, managers, builders, designers, lawyers and much, much more besides. Some of us coach football teams on Sundays. None of this has got anything to do with Slater and Jimenez.

We are unable to take a throw-in so that it worries the opposition. What on earth happens on that training pitch from Monday to Friday?

• Options

cafckev said:

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
    Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, and East Thurrock then
    I assume you weren't there today , if you had of been you'd have seen parts of the pitch were treacherous. Not defending our performance, it was disgraceful - particularly Hamer I thought.
  • Options
    Where the f##k are our next points coming from?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

cafckev said:

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
    I assume you weren't there today , if you had of been you'd have seen parts of the pitch were treacherous. Not defending our performance, it was disgraceful - particularly Hamer I thought.
    I was there - there is a difference between a pitch forcing teams to adapt to its condition and being 'unplayable' (ie. Incapable of being played on).

Anyhow I was merely asking whether more could have been done to prepare the pitch to drain better than it actually did, given most local matches seemed to cope.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well that was a truly bizarre day. My sons football club cancelled his training due to it raining! I had tickets for the Oval yesterday, got up there for midday, had lunch and a few beers then decided, we had zero prospects of play so me and my mate headed to The Valley at 2:15. Turned up as the game started, buying my ticket as they scored their first! Having got in to the ground and witnessing how bad the pitch was, proceeded to witness us embarrass ourselves to go 3-0 down. Match halted, go down for another beer. To be fair, SCP had obviously got in to them during the impromptu break and we looked far better. One goal scored and Donny down to 10, made things easier for the ref to do the right thing and cancel a game which should never have started! Finish off my half time pint and head off with some mates to LB to have another couple. Cue commotion on the platform with a few Donny fans not seeing the funny side of the last 90 minutes! End up nearly getting involved in a fracas with them at LB whilst I'm at the barrier trying to find my ticket! Another few beers, then get to 7Oaks, fall asleep on train and miss my friggin stop! Oh we'll off to Huddersfield on Tuesday, surely things can only get better?
  • Options
    46 x

se9addick said:

cafckev said:

I was there - there is a difference between a pitch forcing teams to adapt to its condition and being 'unplayable' (ie. Incapable of being played on).

Anyhow I was merely asking whether more could have been done to prepare the pitch to drain better than it actually did, given most local matches seemed to cope.
    I can think of several occasions in Paddy Powell's reign when a game went ahead at The Valley while those at (e.g.) Selhurst and Orient were postponed. Has he lost his skills? is it lack of financial resource? or is it that sometimes in the UK, 'weather" can be very, very local.

• Options

Where the f##k are our next points coming from?

Nectar?
  • Options

Huskaris said:

That red card was hilarious... He yellow carded the wrong player for the first yellow card from what I could tell so should be overturned on appeal...

Keegan kicked the ball away for the first one. Thats what I thought

That's exactly what happened. So many people in the East Stand were moaning about the ref getting that wrong but they'd failed to see matey punt the ball down into the corner after he'd blown the whistle. He was pleading "I didn't hear you..." to the ref (which was bollocks) and fully deserved his yellow.

As for the match....it was far more entertaining than a lot of the dross served up last season at the Valley. I suspect the goal followed quickly by the red card were the tipping points which got both managers in agreement with the ref to call the game off (which is wrong if that were the case....) and if anything the conditions were improving slightly at the time of the abandonment.

As for the pitch.....the pitch will be fine. It's in superb condition and there shouldn't be any repeat of last season's bobbly grassless mess.

As for the ground equipment....one push along water sopper is pathetic for a professional set up. Christ, even my poxy little cricket club's got two of them! Maybe we have got more but left them in the shed because we were losing...?

As for the team....Cousins looked mobile, skilfull, aware of others and seemed to know his role. His was a display of great maturity. There were other encouraging signs as Kermorgant and Church looked a threat but sadly some of the others seemed more intent on moaning about the conditions rather than concentrating on the game.

As for the Donny players.....I liked their effort but pushing puddles from one part of the centre circle to another part, was never going to achieve much. Footballers and common sense eh?
  • Options
    Just see doncasters 2nd and 3rd goals. How did the pitch affect them goals as I couldnt see anything. Maybe it was the build up before and the camera didn't get it
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The local aspect is surely a red herring - given how unlikely an explanation it would be, the burden of proof lies with those throwing it out there. It might possibly have been an explanation for a short torrential downpour but we had steady rain (only) for several hours.

It may well be that the groundstaff are doing a superb job with limited resources but after yesterday and last season's pitch horrors, it is reasonable to at least suggest they might be at fault.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In all the conspiracies theories lets remember that this abandonment will cost the club thousands, even if there are non refundable tickets and a few extra pies sold.
  • Options
    Seem to remember about the same time last year when we played Hull and the rain was much heavier and the pitch was playable then. Wrong type of rain maybe???? :-)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    Pitch appalling last year, and not good management of it yesterday.

Getting rid of half of the staff, part time chief executives and the majority of the players on short contracts.

TJ and MS current 'management' of Charlton is completely shambolic. It is like watching a car crash in slow motion.

It will change, we will get better, more competent, sensible and responsive owners. Hopefully, just a matter of time. This situation can surely not go on for ever, something will have to give.
  • Options
    Sat with my sister for this one. When the Donny fella got sent off she said " the trouble is we don't play well against ten men do we".Hmmm.
  • Options
    I cannot believe that people are blaming everything but the weather for the match being abandoned. The rain was incredibly localised and not many of us would have been at The Valley during the night, so how could they tell how much rain had fallen?

TJ &MS may be responsible for many problems but they cannot be blamed for the weather. Likewise, Paddy and his staff can't be blamed either.
  • Options
    Difficult to conclude any thing whatsoever from the game yesterday given the conditions.

Appears the referree lost control of the situation - the game should have been suspended and abandoned much earlier. I have seen quite a few youth games abandoned because there is standing water in the goalmouth - as it can be very dangerous for goalkeepers when the ball holds up and the forward is advancing. The pitch inspection before the game recommenced was absolutely farcical - the officials had no ball to test the conditions and didn't even try to run. My guess is they were being swayed by Dickov, who suddenly lost his appetite for the game when they were down to 10 men, only 2 goals up and having to defend the wetter patch. Perhaps we should give some credit to SCP for what the team achieved after the restart.

PS Cousins performance yesterday was very exciting - he adapted to the conditions better than many of the more experienced pros. If he can walk on water I cannot wait to see how he plays on grass.
  • Options

I cannot believe that people are blaming everything but the weather for the match being abandoned. The rain was incredibly localised and not many of us would have been at The Valley during the night, so how could they tell how much rain had fallen?

TJ &MS may be responsible for many problems but they cannot be blamed for the weather. Likewise, Paddy and his staff can't be blamed either.

Very good post.
  • Options
    on the commentary it was said that they had watered the pitch through the sprinkler system before the match - if that is true it must be down to poor management and not meteorological reasons.
  • Options
    The trust are resposible for the rain, it always pisses down when we do a prematch presence, so expect more rain on Saturday as the gang will be there again collecting acv signatures and memberships, outside the North stand and weather permitting behind the club shop
  • Options
    An extraordinary day. I agree with those who saw the positives (especially Jordan Cousins' performance, our fluidity going forward, Yann looking more like his usual self) but the collective performance of the defence was sunday league stuff. I am a big fan of Morro but right now he is completely out of form so maybe we should pair Cort and Dervite, or give Wood a shot. Hamer could have done a lot better too - just wish we had more experienced back up available.

Strangely enough, I saw some hopeful signs from Wiggins yesterday. Badly at fault for their first goal, he had a nightmare start but I think he improved, got some good challenges in and made a few marauding runs forward, one of which nearly led to a goal. Not seen anything other than criticism of him so far, but that's my bit of balance anyway.

Chin up. This is Charlton, remember. I've lost count of the number of times over the years I have been completely despondent and then that mad, crazy unpredictable red shirted love of my life stun me with an amazing result. We'll probably beat Leicester, against all the odds, just because nobody thinks we can.