Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Doncaster Match thread 24/8/13 - GAME ABANDONED

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2013
    Heard that already nla. One player gone from saying "us" to "Charlton". Only semantics but says a lot in my opinion.

Especially when there are possible tangerine options on the table
  • Options

The waterlogged pitch made a critical difference to how the match was played. Although the waterlogged pitch wasn't directly involved with the goals, Doncaster almost certainly benefited from the conditions to the point where it became a farce.

Explain?
  • Options

The waterlogged pitch made a critical difference to how the match was played. Although the waterlogged pitch wasn't directly involved with the goals, Doncaster almost certainly benefited from the conditions to the point where it became a farce.

The Throw over the top defo stopped short for the cross of the first.

The second was offside and the original ball would have been solly's if the pitch didn't slow it up.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    The defence was totally asleep for the first goal including wiggins, Morrisson and Cort. Hamer could do nothing about it. Morrisson is not a captain. Arguing between him and Solly is not a good sign. Wiggins looks a shadow of the player he was last year. Solly showed occasional flashes but is generally under par. Morrisson does not look good.

Theo Robinson slaughtered the Charlton defence and looked a class apart. Doncaster looked like the established Championship team and Charlton's defence and general play looked League one.

Evina in for Wiggins. Morrisson needs to sit a few games out.

The only positive today was Jordan Cousins, who kept position, passed the ball and looked the best charlton player on the pitch. Sort out his contract quickly.

The heavens opened and saved Charlton, maybe there will be another miracle and we will get new decent owners, and the club will start to be managed in a less shambolic way (contracts etc) and we will be able to keep our best players at the club and be able to plan for the future again.

If we continue to defend like we did for the first 20 minutes, there is only one direction we are heading.

We cannot blame the rain for the first 2 goals. Doncaster were the far superior team.
  • Options

cafckev said:

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
    Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, and East Thurrock then
    Oh we'll, I'm sure a new pitch in a new stadium on the Peninsula wouldn't have had the same problem. Dream on, mate.

• Options
    Who's off to Blackpool WSS?
  • Options

Explain?
    Doncaster could knock the ball forward without much consideration, knowing it would hold up in the pitch before it got to Hamer / ran out of play. It made it a lot easier for them to get into our half of the pitch and stay there.
  • Options

I said options. I don't think he'll say "oui" to a move though. Most players will see out the season as they will be in a better bargaining position as individuals.
  • Options

cafckev said:

Curious that Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Bromley, Dover, Thamesmead, East Thurrock and Maidstone managed to complete their fixtures today.

Would be curious to know if Paddy and his team tried to do anything different to prepare given the forecast was obvious by Wednesday.

Maidstone use the plastic pitch and last season only had one match called off because of heavy snow laying on the pitch.
    Oh we'll, I'm sure a new pitch in a new stadium on the Peninsula wouldn't have had the same problem. Dream on, mate.

I would not trust TJ and MS with that transition (or with too much else). The sale of the ground money would end likely end up in their pockets. Their interests are clearly paramount and the health of the club clearly second. If it is more like outline planning permission to bump up the sale price, it would depend on the new owners and whether the clubs interests are clearly protected.
  • Options

Explain?
    Doncaster could knock the ball forward without much consideration, knowing it would hold up in the pitch before it got to Hamer / ran out of play. It made it a lot easier for them to get into our half of the pitch and stay there.
    In my opinion, Doncaster were the superior team and played the conditions much better. The sleepiness and hesisitancy of the defence, and the shocking defending for crosses and from freekicks cannot be blamed on the rain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

cafckev said:

I would not trust TJ and MS with that transition (or with too much else). The sale of the ground money would end likely end up in their pockets. Their interests are clearly paramount and the health of the club clearly second. If it is more like outline planning permission to bump up the sale price, it would depend on the new owners and whether the clubs interests are clearly protected.
    From previous comments on here, NYA seems to favour a move. That was all I was referring to. To make it 100% clear, I do not!
  • Options
    To add insult to injury for Doncaster Rovers we failed to provide their 'player' commentary team with a working ISDN line, and they had to commentate using a mobile phone. Their bloke describes trying loads of the connections and none of them were working. We have been shoddy and disrespectful here if true, we ought to have made sure all of the connections were working, and if not, to have fixed them straight away.
    As far as I know the Charlton player commentary team are always given an ISDN line to use when away from home, it is a basic provision that we didn't give to Doncaster today. A bit shameful and shoddy I think, and it may be a result of staff cutbacks in recent months.
    Personally I would like to apologise to the Donny fans, who like me, depend a lot on player for away coverage, sorry it didn't happen at our club today. Spoke to a number of Donny fans before the game today, and they were great, good loyal support. They have Leeds at home in the cup on Tuesday, and I hope they thrash them.
  • Options

vff said:

cafckev said:

From previous comments on here, NYA seems to favour a move. That was all I was referring to. To make it 100% clear, I do not!
    Fair enough, it is an emotive subject and fans will have a different opinion. For me, I would consider the move on its merits and if was clearly in the best interests of the club. That would have to be under new owners and definitely not TJ / MS as I do not trust them with our club.
  • Options
    Lets face it, over the last few months we are really becoming an embarrassment on and off of the pitch. I have to feel sorry for those like SCP and the backroom staff who day after day battle against cost cutting and broken promises.
  • Options
    Have a look at this bellend on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/_The12thMan

Literally praying for us to be banned/fined/dissolved because today's match was postponed.
  • Options

Literally praying for us to be banned/fined/dissolved because today's match was postponed.

hahah, thats brilliant
    fine a club because they cant afford a exellent drainage system, makes sense!
  • Options

Got a lot of anger that man it seems... Not just towards our match
  • Options

Got a lot of anger that man it seems... Not just towards our match
    He mentions the players helping to clear water off the pitch but failed to mention some of them pushing it into the middle the pitch. That's the way to do it!!!!

• Options
    WSS said:

I said options. I don't think he'll say "oui" to a move though. Most players will see out the season as they will be in a better bargaining position as individuals.
    Risky. The deals may not be around in a year and he'll be stuck at a club falling through the leagues.

• Options
    Weather related issues shouldn't hide the fact that for the 4th league match in a row we were pants in the first half. Scp has to get the team to start off much better instead of waiting 45 mins to wake up otherwise we are going to keep leaving ourself too much to do to get a decent result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I couldn't hear RedRed Robin again !
    Sort it out Slater/Jimenez !
  • Options
    To clear up the booking, the ref did not make a mistake. He booked Keegan for kicking the ball away and then the foul on Kermy.
  • Options

And I couldn't hear RedRed Robin again !
    Sort it out Slater/Jimenez !

Yes, why was it so soft? And why only 4 turnstiles open for the East Stand?
  • Options
    i think the lack of red robin was because the kick-off was running late, hence the very quick line-up
  • Options
    The pitch was terrible the ball didn't even bounce in Hamers goal which gave Doncaster a big advantage. Our defending was poor, although we were better attacking wise. Cousins was a big plus, desperately need our skipper back in the side we are in for a battle this season
  • Options
    Anyone know what the crowd was .... apart from wet
  • Options
    Hoping that going 3-0 down inside 25 minutes, but getting away with it, will be a season changing moment for us.

That was "season defining" not "season changing".

0.3 down at home after 15 mins against a newly promoted club and outclassed in all departments. I am not sure there was much wrong with their 4th either from a well worked free kick and I have no idea why their man was sent off. The rain was a Godsend not a reason for the scoreline. Bournemouth who we lost to got thrashed by Huddersfield and Barnsley, where we scraped a jammy draw, were thrashed by Blackburn.

I enjoyed the chaos and the meteorological get out of jail card like everyone else but lets not delude ourselves.

We are not only rubbish but there is something profoundly wrong with the spirit of the team this year. At our worst last season you could rarely fault the effort and attitude and at least depend on the defence not to just roll over. Solly and Wiggins rarely put a foot wrong all of last season but now look like Simon Frances' less talented cousins. Morrison looks too slow to catch herpes and Yann spends most of the match on his back .

Something major and negative has happened behind the scenes over the summer break to turn an average/goodish team into a very poor one.
  • Options
    I was impressed by Cousins.
  • Options
    Good summary grumpy
    Although
    Their player was sent off for kicking the ball away after already being booked
  • Options

Good summary grumpy
    Although
    Their player was sent off for kicking the ball away after already being booked

Thank you though I suspect the real reason was by then the ref had completely lost the plot and was trying to appease the home fans.