Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

And then powell would have been slated for going defensive by quite a lot on here

Yep. Going 4-5-1 doesn't always see a game out. When Powell's tried that in the past it hasn't always worked, and has been criticized for being too cautious. Apparently all he needed to do was put fresh legs on up front/on the wing to put pressure on the opposition. This time he should have been more defensive.
  • Options
    Disappointing result, particularly as a lucrative tie could have helped off the field so much (allegedly etc etc) but what we really needed, more than a result or a big boy in the next round was a performance and that's what we got.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

And then powell would have been slated for going defensive by quite a lot on here

Really? Did Curbs get a lot of stick for doing this then?
    Er, yes. Remember the Prem years when certain sections of the support wanted cautious old Curbishley replaced so we could take our rightful place as European conquerors? Witness the spoils.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Really? Did Curbs get a lot of stick for doing this then?
    Yep really. Read it hundreds of times on here.

'Why when we're 1-0, 2-1up do we decide to sit back and let them come at us'
    'Why has powell brang a defender on for a midfielder'
  • Options
    I was fearing a four or five nil hammering I will take a hard fought loss with a massive deflection ultimately taking the game and wind out of our sails

I reckon a win on the cards sat
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Conceding multiple goals a game is still worrying, but the performance was better than others which is something to take from the game.

There was nothing to take from the game - the boss got it wrong again.
    At 2-1 Powell should have gone 4-5-1 and defend like merry hell and counter attack with Sordell chasing the ball up field. Curbs had a habit of packing the defence in these sort of games and nine times out of ten it worked.
    Both games against Birmingham last season Powell brought on a defender after we went ahead, and look what happened.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

what we really needed, more than a result or a big boy in the next round was a performance and that's what we got.

pretty much this
  • Options

Not if we'd won
  • Options
    I think we will do good this season, there thats better.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hamer - Morrison - both L1 @ best couldn't help myself sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not if we'd won
    lol brilliant
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing them on Saturday now, they played quite good football last saturday and today, just unlucky in some areas
  • Options
    Was going to get this win tattooed on my arse and everything. Gutted.
  • Options

On coach home. A spirited performance but lost thanks to some poor goalkeeping and a bit of bad luck with a deflected goal to make it 2-2 and getting caught on the break for the 3rd. We had much the better of it before Stephens' low free kick put us ahead but Hamer should've done better with a low shot down at his near post for the equaliser.

Yes I'm thick skinned and you can call me all the names under the sun - it wont stop me posting my opinions on here.

I wasn't at the game tonight but this is from someone who was..........point taken.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Had a nice curry with some mates tonight, not keeping up with the game minute by minute makes you realise that it's not the be all and end all that some make it seem. Came back to hear we'd lost 3-2 but were very unlucky.

It's just not going for us right now, keep the faith. We'll win at the weekend.
  • Options
    Back from the game - It wasn't all bad honestly.
    First 20-25 minutes were very good. The 3-5-2 looked to be working well with Stephens looking very assured orchestrating the play and the centre backs playing it around. JJ had a descent first half but understandably faded in the second and Pritchard was all over the place. We could have easily have been 3 or 4 up at this stage.
    Then Huddersfield figured us out and came back into it towards the end of the first half. Hamer really should have stopped their first and our heads seemed to drop. 1-1 at that point was probably fair.
    Second half was pretty even until our goal. Sordell was kicked into action by their centre back and then proceeded to try and get himself sent off with a moment of madness. It did spring him into life though and he was probably our most dangerous player. Piggott showed great effort all night but lacks a bit of composure. Really happy for him though with the assist and was unlucky not to score himself.
    Then we tired out and the formation fell to bits. Huddersfield pulled the defence apart several times and in truth were worthy 3-2 winners.

The team was crying out for Andy Hughes to put his foot on the ball and calm things down when the game became stretched. JJ and Dale ran out of legs while Evina and Wilson were caught out several times on the counter.

Positives: Sordell looked sharp. Stephens played well and JJ is back!
    Negatives: Hamer is very low on confidence. He needs a break.
  • Options
    At last, a reasoned, informed report on the game with a conclusion that gave opinion without any angst! Hurrah, sanity restored, thanks NWA.
  • Options
    time for Pope? Or Craig Gordon?

Wasn't there, can't comment. Well done the 165 that travelled.
  • Options

time for Pope? Or Craig Gordon?

Wasn't there, can't comment. Well done the 165 that travelled.

Craig Gordon !
  • Options
    We are probably one of the most effective sides at finding a way to lose if that makes sense!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Many thanks Seth. Just followed the thread as if in real time after a night out. Really enjoyed that thanks to your updates (other than the result of course). And safe journeys back those still on the road.
  • Options
    Just home from the match & a quick thought or two before I make it up the apple & pears.

Really heartening performance from the lads tonight. I wasn't surprised by the starting line up as I felt a few needed to get back in the saddle as soon as possible and show the gaffer just what they are capable of.

Fantastic energy and lots of skill from Pritch, JJ showing exactly why we miss him badly when he's absent, encouraging display from Dale & more signs that Joe P has much to offer the team.

No-one let us down altho' I am still a bit disappointed in Marvin with his first touch leaving a lot to be desired, However, a great goal from him will hopefully give him the confidence he may be lacking.

All in all, a very good show which made the trip worthwhile and let's hope we can build on this on Saturday.

Night night
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Don't worry guys, we can crack back on with relegation now.

PMSL - Marvellous!!
  • Options
    3am return for a silly cup game. Thanks Fanny, Tommy and NWA for your feedback.

Seems a positive display from those there. Did Huddersfield significantly weaken their starting 11 as well ?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Huddersfield had an unchanged XI from their 5-1 win over Bournemouth at the weekend.
  • Options

Seems a positive display from those there. Did Huddersfield significantly weaken their starting 11 as well ?

I can answer that: No. Same starting 11 from their last league game according to decent commentary on Player. James Scowcroft thought we were the better side for long periods and unlucky to lose.

Some confusion at the BBC, BTW. They thought Scowcroft was covering the Fulham game for BBC London. Phil Parry tried to link to him and the commentator said he is not there. He assumed he was stuck in traffic. Scowcroft clearly likes watching us :-)

• Options
    Can't believe golfie moaning about hamer, a keeper with about 50 appearances at 2nd tier level by comparing him to 2 international keepers and 1 who spent 4 years as our top flight keeper.
    Does he want solly gone because he's never seen him hit a ball like roberto Carlos? Or harriot out because he hasn't bewildered defenders with cryuff turns?
  • Options
    Our strikers are scoring so he has to move onto something else!
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Stig said:

cafc4life said:

I agree I don't rate hamer that highly either but your not allowed to voice opinions on here even though its a 'forum' used for that very matter

Everyone is allowed to voice opinions, but everyone else has opinions too. If you say something daft, there's bound to be lots of people wanting to come back at you. It's not a conspiracy, just life.
    Maybe but to be called a clown and a twat and being told not to bother with Charlton anymore is taking it a bit too far mate.
    Agreed. If it were the first time, or an isolated incident. it isn't, and it isn't.
    So what if you don't agree with them though? What gives you a reason to respond back in a ridiculous way? There is a lot of fans that post on certain fourms I don't agree a lot of the time but if you gave an constructive opinion back you may change their mind.

To call them names under the Sun and mocking them is ridiculous.
    But we've had 'pathetic'...'gutless'...and 'hamer never makes a save'. I'm not sure what type of response you expect?...they've been given the exact reply they deserve.
    It is an opinion which unfortunatly you have to accept whether you agree with it or not.
    No, it isn't. That's sort of the point of this place. Others have the right to challenge your views as much as you have the right to express them. The whole 'it's my opinion, you can't say anything' thing doesn't wash. I don't think VG's comments are the ridiculous ones in the past 10 pages
    Agree 100% with GM.

If you express an opinion then you have to expect people to agree or disagree with it, not hide behind the childish "I'm entitled to an opinion" when some points out you're talking nonsense.
  • Options

I can answer that: No. Same starting 11 from their last league game according to decent commentary on Player. James Scowcroft thought we were the better side for long periods and unlucky to lose.

Some confusion at the BBC, BTW. They thought Scowcroft was covering the Fulham game for BBC London. Phil Parry tried to link to him and the commentator said he is not there. He assumed he was stuck in traffic. Scowcroft clearly likes watching us :-)

Perhaps we can get in Joe Hart. Some at City unhappy cos he made a couple of mistakes at the weekend.