Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield v Charlton - Match Thread / Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Many thanks, Seth for the updates. Great to hear the reasoned comments of the hardy few who made it. Whilst disappointed we lost, it sounds like a positive effort from the lads against a full strength Udders. Roll on Saturday and the mighty Kermy against Leicester!
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Conceding multiple goals a game is still worrying, but the performance was better than others which is something to take from the game.

There was nothing to take from the game - the boss got it wrong again.
    At 2-1 Powell should have gone 4-5-1 and defend like merry hell and counter attack with Sordell chasing the ball up field. Curbs had a habit of packing the defence in these sort of games and nine times out of ten it worked.
    Our defense currently isn't good enough to just sit back and hope for the best.
    I'm confused as to why our defence should suddenly be so weak given I felt it has been the bedrock of our success over the past two seasons (joint 6th best defence in 2012/13). Moreover you might argue it should be stronger this season than last given Wiggins is now fully fit again.

Given most of us would probably agree that any midfield quartet Powell selects is going to be relatively uninspiring, perhaps the problem infact lies there in terms of the protection job?
  • Options
    Cannot believe Hogg scored against you guys - must be his first professional goal.

Not a bad player generally and one we miss TBH but certainly shooting wasn't one of his qualities.

• Options
    Just seen the goals on the player, thought Hamer should've had their first covered but he was unlucky for the second with the deflection. Sounds like we played quite well but just didn't get the rub of the green. Onwards and upwards. Looking forward to Saturday.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Cannot believe Hogg scored against you guys - must be his first professional goal.

Not a bad player generally and one we miss TBH but certainly shooting wasn't one of his qualities.

Norwood shot & it deflected in off Hogg :-(

For those that went a question if I may.

The game appeared to have been won by Hudds making their subs.

Your thoughts please on whether you think Powell could have done more?
  • Options

On coach home. A spirited performance but lost thanks to some poor goalkeeping and a bit of bad luck with a deflected goal to make it 2-2 and getting caught on the break for the 3rd. We had much the better of it before Stephens' low free kick put us ahead but Hamer should've done better with a low shot down at his near post for the equaliser.

Yes I'm thick skinned and you can call me all the names under the sun - it wont stop me posting my opinions on here.

I wasn't at the game tonight but this is from someone who was..........point taken.

Because that clearly means the same as 'never seen him make a save'.
  • Options

For those that went a question if I may.

The game appeared to have been won by Hudds making their subs.

Your thoughts please on whether you think Powell could have done more?

I think one of the posters above yesterday, said pretty much what I moaned about on here last night. Stephens and Jackson back from injury shouldnt have played as long as they did, it was obvious they were going to be knackered around the 60-70th min mark but nothing was done until it was game set and match.
  • Options
    And if we had made subs, shut up shop and still conceded? If my aunty had balls...
  • Options
    Their second looks offside. Hamer shouldn't have been beaten for the first.
  • Options
    WSS said:

And if we had made subs, shut up shop and still conceded? If my aunty had balls...

NLA still would :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So not his goal really..

• Options
    Never said shut up shop, The team just needed a bit of freshning up. We tired they took advantage.
  • Options
    I would his aunty is mint even though he know tells us she has nuts 8)
  • Options
    Re the subs, the commentator, plus Scowcroft, were arguing that CP should sub Sordell because he'd got booked and hadn't looked like doing anything. CP didn't do that, and Sordell then scored a good goal, which has importance for him way beyond last night's game.

Why the **** should Stephens and Jackson be "knackered" after 60 -70 minutes? They have had minor injuries, not a six month cruciate. The idea is to get them fit, physically and mentally, for important league games. Stephens may have 'faded' but I've seen that often enough, and I don't see that many games live!

The sub that made the difference for Huddersfield was Stead, apparently, whom I have always thought to be an under-achiever. And that was their final throw of the dice.

Too much armchair pontificating about subs. Its a forum of course, but I'm never impressed by the quality of the arguments.
  • Options
    Not sure what Sordell's booking has to do with anything.

Minor injures or long term injuries, if you've not played much first team football you are going to struggle after a period of time. At the end of the day Hudds freshened things up when was needed and won the game.

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Not sure what Sordell's booking has to do with anything.

Minor injures or long term injuries, if you've not played much first team football you are going to struggle after a period of time. At the end of the day Hudds freshened things up when was needed and won the game.

Thing is though, Huddersfield HAD to makes subs as they were losing. CP's situation, as the team winning, is a lot harder to call.
  • Options
    For what it is worth, I thought you played very well, far better than you played when you stole a 1-0 win here last season. I left the match feeling disappointed because we weren't a shadow of the side that trounced Bournemouth. I thought you were relegation certainties before last night and now I am not nearly so sure. Poor following as usual, but it takes a mint cake to get Londoners out of London and QPR were far worse considering the importance of the game compared to this.

Charlton have gone up a few notches in my estimation following this match.
  • Options
    I agree mate, ok only listening to it on the radio but you could tell even listening to that we were fading out of the match and it was only a matter of time before they made it 2-2. The thing is when Powell makes positive substitutions early in games we normally do well, gives the players time to settle in. Too many times last season when we were in winning positions we would leave it too late and before we knew it we were drawing or losing the game.
  • Options
    thanks for the post penchant - particularly as your only about the 4th person to post on here who actually went to the game. Keeps in perspective after all the twaddle some people post.
  • Options
    redman said:

thanks for the post penchant - particularly as your only about the 4th person to post on here who actually went to the game. Keeps in perspective after all the twaddle some people post.

Seconded. Thanks, penchant.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nicholas said:

I agree mate, ok only listening to it on the radio but you could tell even listening to that we were fading out of the match and it was only a matter of time before they made it 2-2. The thing is when Powell makes positive substitutions early in games we normally do well, gives the players time to settle in. Too many times last season when we were in winning positions we would leave it too late and before we knew it we were drawing or losing the game.

Funny how you could tell that, when 'the radio', including a seasoned pro, said the second Hudds goal, like the first was against the run of play.

• Options
    Did we have another shot goal after we went 2-1 up? At the end of the day It was very similar to a lot of games last season hence the frustration. I know you listen to most games on the radio so maybe thats why we picture the game differently whilst listening.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Did we have another shot goal after we went 2-1 up? At the end of the day It was very similar to a lot of games last season hence the frustration. I know you listen to most games on the radio so maybe thats why we picture the game differently whilst listening.

Well depending on who the commentary team is, I put my trust in them. Not Emma, and not necessarily Peter Finch, because he is one of ours, and a bit biased. But if a pro like James Scowcroft says it was against the run of play, who are you or I to contradict him?

I'm as gutted as you. For all kinds of reasons I could really have done with that ending in a Charlton victory last night. I'm just not rushing to cast blame around, just because the evening didn't end as i would have liked.

• Options
    As you know, I was at the match. Chris P got his starting 11 spot on and made us look very ordinary. We always looked like scoring and we could never really lower our guard because so did you. At the end of the day we all knew that we would win because you started to look very brittle I don't know whether getting Johnson match fit will make any difference< but I hope it does
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Too many times last season when we were in winning positions we would leave it too late and before we knew it we were drawing or losing the game.

Like people said earlier, look at both games against Birmingham last season. He made a sub to see out those games and we still ended up conceding.

Football management isn't so black and white.
  • Options
    He didnt make those subs to freshen a tiring team up though, they were last minute subs bringing on defenders which ended up disrupting the team.

In the home game he actually brought on a sub early Danny Green I think which turned the game in our favour.
  • Options

DiscoCAFC said:

Conceding multiple goals a game is still worrying, but the performance was better than others which is something to take from the game.

There was nothing to take from the game - the boss got it wrong again.
    At 2-1 Powell should have gone 4-5-1 and defend like merry hell and counter attack with Sordell chasing the ball up field. Curbs had a habit of packing the defence in these sort of games and nine times out of ten it worked.
    Our defense currently isn't good enough to just sit back and hope for the best.
    I'm confused as to why our defence should suddenly be so weak given I felt it has been the bedrock of our success over the past two seasons (joint 6th best defence in 2012/13). Moreover you might argue it should be stronger this season than last given Wiggins is now fully fit again.

Given most of us would probably agree that any midfield quartet Powell selects is going to be relatively uninspiring, perhaps the problem infact lies there in terms of the protection job?
    The midfield - whatever combination - hasn't been good enough when the opposition has the ball. The Back Four has been left exposed in the Bournemouth & Doncaster games, and they were outplayed in a 2 v 3 central midfield contest against Middlesbrough. Can't comment on the Barnsley game, as I wasn't there.
    A change of formation is one way of doing it, 5-3-2 last night. The weakness in that system, is the space left by the wing backs pushing on, allows the opposition to play into the vacant areas and pull the centre backs across. Cort & Morrison both struggle when forced to defend one-against-one when isolated.
    CP has a real conundrum. He needs Hughes in the central midfield to add strength & organisation. We are too easy to play through at the moment. Does he change the system for a home match? We need to stop the bleeding. Dervite in CM, Evina doubling up on the left with Wiggins or Wilson/Solly on the right, are other options. Something needs to change.
  • Options
    Haven't read much of the above comments, but my take on last night was that it was a really promising performance. Have to admit my heart sank when they announced they were playing same team that crushed Bournemouth but we bossed the first half completely. Evina in particular was outstanding in the first half though faded in the second. Pritchard was everwhere and Jackson held the midfield together. Oddly the only player I was getting frustrated with was Sordell who on more than one occasion dwelt on the ball too long or didn't pass, but he took his goal well and it will take a bit of time to fit into the side.
    If Morrisons header had gone in at the death we might be looking at a totally different story, but as it is I really think last night shows that there is strength in this squad and, despite being out of this cup competition, there are more positives than negatives (on the pitch at least).
  • Options
    I think the hindsight posters who blame the making or not making of subs for a draw or defeat are the most frustrating on here. It is so easy to say CP should have done this or should have done that when in all honesty any substitution is a gamble. As with any gamble sometimes it pays out and other times it doesn't.

If CP had made subs to protect the lead, as he did last year, and we lost he would have been castigated. There would have been cries of how naive he was not to have learnt from his mistakes and how he is tactically inept. Had he made some 'attacking' subs, whilst ahead, like some of here are preaching, and we lost, he would have been slaughtered again.

Nobody knows what would have happened had he made subs earlier. We may have gone on to win 7-2. Or lose 8-4. I think after spending 25 years in the game he is better placed to make these decisions than anyone on here.
  • Options
    B

I think the hindsight posters who blame the making or not making of subs for a draw or defeat are the most frustrating on here. It is so easy to say CP should have done this or should have done that when in all honesty any substitution is a gamble. As with any gamble sometimes it pays out and other times it doesn't.

If CP had made subs to protect the lead, as he did last year, and we lost he would have been castigated. There would have been cries of how naive he was not to have learnt from his mistakes and how he is tactically inept. Had he made some 'attacking' subs, whilst ahead, like some of here are preaching, and we lost, he would have been slaughtered again.

Nobody knows what would have happened had he made subs earlier. We may have gone on to win 7-2. Or lose 8-4. I think after spending 25 years in the game he is better placed to make these decisions than anyone on here.

Seconded