Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wendies at war (Madine sent down)

Sheffield Wednesday footballer 'broke supporter's nose'

Gary Madine has a previous conviction for attacking a man after being refused a drink

A Championship footballer broke a fan's nose in a bar fight before shattering a second man's jaw and cheek weeks later in a separate incident, a court heard.

Sheffield Wednesday player Gary Madine, 23, is accused of attacking Owls fan Daniel Beresford in February 2012 and Reece Hall in March 2012.

Prosecutors told a jury at Leeds Crown Court the centre forward was "an arrogant, violent thug" when drunk.

Madine, who has a previous conviction for assault, denies the charges.

Madine is said to have attacked Meadowhall shopping centre worker Mr Beresford in the Paris Bar, in Sheffield city centre, knocking him unconscious and breaking his nose.

Mr Beresford told the court Madine had been staring at him and, when he had asked why, the player lashed out.

He said: "He was one of my favourite players, someone I looked up to."

Defence counsel Alison Dorrell, however, described Mr Beresford as being "fighting drunk" and alleged he had thrown a drink on the player.

Born 24 August, 1990
Signed for Carlisle FC in 2007
Loaned to Rochdale, Coventry City and Chesterfield
Signed for Sheffield Wednesday in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee
In 2012/13 season he made 35 appearances for the Owls scoring four goals
He has made just one appearance as a substitute this season in a league cup game against Rotherham
Madine is further alleged to have assaulted Sheffield United fan Mr Hall in the Viper Room, also in the city centre, after asking him who he supported.

Mr Hall, who did not recognise the Wednesday striker, replied "United", and moments later he was punched in the eye, the court heard.

Prosecutor Ian West said Mr Hall suffered a broken jaw and his cheek was fractured in five places.

The court heard that Madine, originally from Gateshead, already had a conviction for knocking out a man in Carlisle after pleading guilty to the attack in February 2010.

'Drunken punch'
Mr West said: "During his hours of sobriety, Mr Madine is a very fine footballer. However, if you believe the red top newspapers, as often footballers do, they go out at night and drink.

"The prosecution suggest in Mr Madine's case, he in too much drink turns into an arrogant, violent thug."

Mr West added: "He is a very fit and strong young man. You may think Mr Madine is a large centre forward in the old-fashioned English style, and is very much aware of his physical strength, it being so much a part of his job.

"You would think on the third assault that when he throws a punch, especially a drunken punch, late at night in a nightclub, he is really going to cause a lot of damage.

"When thinking about what he was intending, do not forget he is a big, strong lad and he knows what he is capable of."

When Madine played for Carlisle United, he knocked a man unconscious in the Beehive pub in February 2010 after he was refused a drink following closing time and tried to help himself, the court heard. He pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Madine denies causing grievous bodily harm against Mr Beresford, and causing grievous bodily harm with intent against Mr Hall.

The trial continues.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Absolute scum , why do they put up with him? 4 goals in 35 apps is hardly worth it.
  • Options
    What is it with Sheffield and strikers?????
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

What is it with Sheffield and strikers?????

Quite simple really........ 'go down pub, drink ten pints, get absolutely plastered'.
  • Options
    How can they report that he has had previous?
  • Options
    I am sure the fans were being absolute angels and he did it for no reason. Honest....... (not that it justifies it of course)
  • Options
    Pow! Right in the Kisser!

I bet t'Paris bar is the epitome of northern sophistication. Fat legged trolls hammering Bacardi Breezers and blokes in bright Topman shirts propping up the bar until the fighting commences.
  • Options
    Sounds like Madine is better at boxing than he is at being a footballer
  • Options
    He sounds a right rascal!
  • Options

I bet t'Paris bar is the epitome of northern sophistication. Fat legged trolls hammering Bacardi Breezers and blokes in bright Topman shirts propping up the bar until the fighting commences.

absolutely brilliant description there

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    At least he wasn't smoking that awful cannabis drug...can you imagine how many ribs he could have broken by randomly embracing people.
  • Options

absolutely brilliant description there

No mention of taches?
  • Options

That's what I wondered. Judge's discretion?

• Options

That's what I wondered. Judge's discretion?

I did jury service on an assault case many years ago and the prosecution were able to bring up the defendants previous record on the grounds that he was attempting to discredit the reliability of the victims evidence. Not sure how that works but maybe something similar happened here.
  • Options

he knocked a man unconscious in the Beehive pub in February 2010 after he was refused a drink following closing time.

Think this may have been Off It
  • Options

At least he wasn't smoking that awful cannabis drug...can you imagine how many ribs he could have broken by randomly embracing people.

or stabbing them in bouts of paranoia
  • Options
    Where is Operation Pig when you need them ?

I don't dislike Sheffield which has some decent places. It does have a serious drinking (and fighting) cultural element, if that is what you are looking for.
  • Options
    Mad(man)ine is a bit of an Andy Carroll figure. A big Geordie lad who likes a fight after a few beers. Trouble is, you never know if these types are seriously provoked by jealous lads for who they are or if they just lash out at the merest excuse.
    Carroll has calmed down let's hope that Madine does the same and doesn't follow in the footsteps of (say) Gaza and become a professional drunken brawler nuisance.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    vff said:

Where is Operation Pig when you need them ?

Sitting at home with a steak over his eye, looking like something out of Tom & Jerry?
  • Options
    I'm here, what's up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's all kicked off, where you been OP down the pub or exercising the whippets?
  • Options
    Bit of both really. t'pub then t'whippets.

Okay, here's my view,

from what I've been told by a very reliable source Madines a decent lad when sober but as soon as he comes into contact with Alcohol he turns into a grade a Prick, I'm not surprised it has happened and personally I think he'll do time.

He's had chance after chance and will end up pissing his career away.

I personally would like to see the back of him, can't be arsed to give these mugs the time of day anymore, he is only tarnishing the good name of Wednesday.
  • Options
    If he had hit you piggy, we would have gone and sorted him out. I'm sure he knows not to mess with the Sheffield Wednesday branch of the Charlton Supporter's club.
  • Options
    I get the feeling if he would've hit Piggy Madine would not be playing football walking talking or breath unaided

I think your post OP sums up the general Conesus amongst fans with regards to the se scum bag footballers

Ranger
    Evans
    madine
    King
    the list is there for all to see SCUM at lots of clubs unfortunately
  • Options

I get the feeling if he would've hit Piggy Madine would not be playing football walking talking or breath unaided

I think your post OP sums up the general Conesus amongst fans with regards to the se scum bag footballers

Ranger
    Evans
    madine
    King

Missed Joey Barton?
  • Options

If he had hit you piggy, we would have gone and sorted him out. I'm sure he knows not to mess with the Sheffield Wednesday branch of the Charlton Supporter's club.

Cheers mate, nice to see the Charlton owls supporting the massive ;)

• Options

Ranger
    Evans
    madine
    King

I don't think it's limited to football. There's wrong 'uns in all walks of life, people in other professions don't get the same amount of publicity though.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Ranger
    Evans
    madine
    King

I don't think it's limited to football. There's wrong 'uns in all walks of life, people in other professions don't get the same amount of publicity though.
    100% correct. I'll add that a hell of a lot of charity work done by Footballers and indeed sportsman in general goes completely unreported in the popular press. Bad news and scandal sells newspapers.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday's Gary Madine is likely to be jailed after he was found guilty of punching two men in separate nightclub attacks.

The striker, 23, shook his head after he was found guilty of causing Sheffield United fan Reece Hall grievous bodily harm at Leeds Crown Court.

He was earlier found guilty of causing Wednesday fan Daniel Beresford actual bodily harm by a jury after a week-long trial and more than seven hours of deliberations.

Madine, who has a previous conviction for knocking a man out in a Carlisle pub, punched Mr Beresford in the Paris Bar in Sheffield city centre in February last year, breaking his nose.

Four weeks later, he punched bricklayer Mr Hall in the city's Viper Room club, shattering his cheekbone.

Judge Rodney Jameson QC gave Madine bail but told him: "You must understand that an immediate custodial sentence is very likely."

Judge Jameson told the jury of seven men and five women: "I agree with all of your verdicts. I think you've got it absolutely spot on."

The judge adjourned the case for sentencing so reports can be prepared. No sentencing date was
  • Options
    Madine, who has a previous conviction for knocking a man out in a Carlisle pub, punched Mr Beresford in the Paris Bar in Sheffield city centre in February last year, breaking his nose.

There's a Paris bar in Sheffield?

Yeeeuuuuuuuuk!!!