Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• iainment said:

It's an Epoca R50 with Campag Record. It's my mates, we were fiddling with it this morning before he goes to Majorca for a weeks training.

Tidy flat.
    jamescafc said:

olster said:

@jamescafc all talk no legs.

Haha we'll see tonight as going to ride home from work. Can sort out audax from there.

Southend away next season could be a decent match to organise a ride to. Maybe raise some funds for upbeats or any other charity.
    Good luck with that.

We tried before when the Charlton shirts were delivered but to no avail.
    Oli is committed so they'll defo be two of us doing it but I need to try and drag someone along who I can keep up with...!!!
  • Bought a new bike over the weekend. It's for TTs, so I don't have to use my race bike. Been out on a test run with it - it's an absolute missile of a bike - up to and held 50km/h on the flat for five minutes with only about 300 watts of effort

TT bike
  • Cor!
    very nice.
  • Entering a triathlon in Canada wasaga late August. I don't care for fancy bikes the silly costumes and the helmets.

I aim to outright win the race. I believe it's 40k cycling 10k run 1.5 swim, not in that order.
  • Dave2l said:

Entering a triathlon in Canada wasaga late August. I don't care for fancy bikes the silly costumes and the helmets.

I aim to outright win the race. I believe it's 40k cycling 10k run 1.5 swim, not in that order.

Wear jeans, a t-shirt and trainers. Show them suckers in lycra how it's done.
  • fatrob said:
    hopefully they'll throw in some pedal clips too...
  • Anyone doing the Castle 100 this weekend starting from Tonbridge Castle
  • Just rode between 30-40miles without breaking a sweat wondering what all the fuss is about.

Actually I'm in pain, but it's like some kind of satisfactory objective complete feeling good pain.
  • Gets easier too. Or, more realistically, you just go faster ;)
  • Been off bike for around 6 weeks now.

Diagnosed with an acute ligament tear on the knee. Been doing strengthening exercises, stretches, foam roller on daily basis but both attempts to get back on bike have resulted in immediate setbacks so far. Really frustrating especially when I look at Strava

Had a bike fit yday and a few minor adjustments were made so hoping that will do the trick.

You don't realise how much you love cycling until you're physically unable to get out on the roads.

:neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Where did you go for a bike fit
  • Guy who works out of sidcup cycles.
  • I had mine done at Condor, £100
  • Into the last 2 months of training for our London to Monte Carlo ride.

160 miles covered last week in record time, not bad for someone who didn't own a bike in January! Going for our first century ride this weekend with a London to Brighton in one day. Has anyone done this before?

We recently got an article out to the local media and one was printed in The Bexley Times today:

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/son_and_friend_to_take_on_1_000_mile_cycling_challenge_in_memory_of_his_mum_1_4547887

Finally it's got the the stage where I need to upgrade the wheels on the bike as I currently have the default option. I have a Fuji Sportif 1.1, does the job but nothing fancy. Any tips or particular makes worth looking at that will I can rely on and cope with the long distance rides and then 1,000 miles in 10 days?

King of the downs is booked in the calendar for June the 12th... Been dreading it since January!
  • Used to do London-Brighton regularly when I lived daahn saahf. It's doable in about three and a half hours with no traffic - but has a sting in the tail in the form of either Ditchling Beacon or Devil's Dyke. Both pretty grim hills. Out via Reigate, Faygate, Cowfold etc is a lovely route - start at Richmond Park and you'll avoid most of the shitty traffic through South London
  • Also, if you're looking at upgrading wheels, it depends how much you have to spend. For 400 quid, Mavic Ksyriums are amazing value. As light as a feather and as bombproof as you can get for under a grand
  • heavenSE7 said:

Into the last 2 months of training for our London to Monte Carlo ride.

160 miles covered last week in record time, not bad for someone who didn't own a bike in January! Going for our first century ride this weekend with a London to Brighton in one day. Has anyone done this before?

We recently got an article out to the local media and one was printed in The Bexley Times today:

http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/son_and_friend_to_take_on_1_000_mile_cycling_challenge_in_memory_of_his_mum_1_4547887

Finally it's got the the stage where I need to upgrade the wheels on the bike as I currently have the default option. I have a Fuji Sportif 1.1, does the job but nothing fancy. Any tips or particular makes worth looking at that will I can rely on and cope with the long distance rides and then 1,000 miles in 10 days?

King of the downs is booked in the calendar for June the 12th... Been dreading it since January!

Good luck. Considering you've only been cycling since Jan, sounds quite inspiring and will do absolute wonders for fitness.

On the back of this, running a marathon should feel strangely pretty comfortable.

• Another vote for the Mavic Kysriums. Nice, light and stiff.

Or, if you fancy something not so light, expensive etc. My favourite wheels for long distance were Ambrosio Excellence with Hope Ti hubs and Swiss DT spokes.
  • How much was the bike fit at Sidcup Cycles I've been quoted anything from £50 to £200 just wondering is it worth paying the extra
  • Had my bike fit done here in Tunbridge Wells about 2 years ago. I seem to recall is was around the £100 mark however it was the best £100 I have spent.

http://www.wildside-online.co.uk/
  • Sponsored links:

• For a bit of balance.

Had my bike fit at Omega in Swanley as part of having a bike made to measure. The result was a bike i considered too big.
    I found a bog standard Specialized 56 with a 120 stem fitted perfectly.
  • Thanks for the tips on the Mavic Ksyriums, had a look online and come across two sets, either the Standard 2016 model or the Elite. Personally don't think I can justify spending £450 on tyres so the £280 standard ones looking my best bet.

I currently have Continental gatorskins fitted on my default wheels and touch wood haven't had a puncture yet. I notice these come with Yksion Elite tyres. Would I be best off keeping the gatorskins?

Quick question, I have disc breaks on the Fuji, I notice that they offer a 6 bolt or centre lock option. Any preferences?

• Spoke to wildside today £145 now might go with them
  • @heavenSE7 - would suggest sticking with the tyres that you know and trust, especially if you're commuting/pootling about on a Sunday...if you're racing, then you might want to have a rethink.... Probably worth buying a new set for the new wheels though rather than switching them over... Never used disc brakes so can offer nothing there I am afraid...
  • Excellent comeback on the final day of the Giro for Nibali to pull back 52 secs and win it.
  • Aye. After a 'little chat' With Vinokourov. Forgive my skepticism...
  • Aye. After a 'little chat' With Vinokourov. Forgive my skepticism...

By any standards that was a tall order today. Perhaps Vinokourov gave him some strong coffee :-)
  • Rode the Tour of Cambridgeshire today. Very well organised. No dangerous bunch riding (though the usual mix of idiots surging when they went to take a pull and people treading on it out of every corner causing bunches to string out meant some inefficient groups). Very enjoyable though, and qualified for the amateur world champs - but since they're on Oz I can't see myself shelling out for that!

Well done, Leroy.
  • Anyone doing the L2B on Sunday?