Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• First serious incident in a while coming home tonight. Idiots on mopeds pulled up alongside me and attempted to push me off before shooting off at speed. Got me thinking about the need to a camera.

Anybody else use these and able to recommend a decent model or are these a big no no?
  • If you think you need one, buy it. If you do though, don't use it to post videos of every near miss on YouTube - you'll be editing footage pretty much all your life :)

Seriously - there isn't much you can do about pricks like that. Even if you do get them on camera, the gavvers won't do a thing about it.
  • Was this towards Catford by any chance? Came through the one way system the other week, but made use of the bus lane to avoid going round. As I moved off the first set of lights about 3 bikes approached me on the wrong side of the road through a red. I braced and held my line fearing the worst but nothing came of it. Still very hairy however.

Leroy, were you racing abroad this weekend? How did it go?
  • Yes - Vätternrundan in Sweden. 300km in 9hr 28. Absolutely biblical rain kept the average down, but had a good group working almost all night. Five or six of us dragged another 15 or so round between us. I blew up about 20km from the end after doing too many turns - with better weather and more people taking a pull it would have been about 8hr 30 - less than 2000 metres of climbing and only three real lumps to get over

Decent event - but none of the Nordic trains knew how to ride - we'd go through the odd one that wanted to join up but they'd surge and then get shelled 5km later, or just swarm and not ride with any discipline & ruin the rhythm

Said I wouldn't do it again afterwards, but quite like the idea of going back with a string team and smashing it if the weather is good
  • Yes - Vätternrundan in Sweden. 300km in 9hr 28. Absolutely biblical rain kept the average down, but had a good group working almost all night. Five or six of us dragged another 15 or so round between us. I blew up about 20km from the end after doing too many turns - with better weather and more people taking a pull it would have been about 8hr 30 - less than 2000 metres of climbing and only three real lumps to get over

Decent event - but none of the Nordic trains knew how to ride - we'd go through the odd one that wanted to join up but they'd surge and then get shelled 5km later, or just swarm and not ride with any discipline & ruin the rhythm

Said I wouldn't do it again afterwards, but quite like the idea of going back with a string team and smashing it if the weather is good

I wish you'd mentioned you were doing it, or did I miss it? My mate did it on his own and said the same about people not working together. He'll probably do it again.
  • Shit - yeah, my bad I didn't post because I didn't think anyone else from here would have been doing it. I'm umming and aahing about next year - one of my mates is doing it for the same charity (Cyclists Fighting Cancer) and I'm considering going again. Problem is, it isn't cheap, and I need to raise £500 - and people I know are probably getting sick enough of me asking them to dip their hands in their pockets as it is - let alone for something I've already done!

What sort of time did he get? Hard work soloing 300km - but two guys were lucky enough to find us and latch on for 75% of the ride and get a decent time (in exchange for doing turns, obviously :))
  • 11 hours. Not bad considering he had a new pacemaker fitted the week before!
    If you want to go again let me know. My mate is Swedish so the logistics are probably a bit easier for him.
  • Well that was fun today. Is it me or do people use the rain as an excuse to drive like w****** ....!!!!!
  • Got back on Tuesday from 5 days in the Pyrenees (Foix to Biarritz, with a two day stop in Argeles Gazost for a 'rest day' loop of only 2 cols..Spandelles and Solour). Belted down most days...came off the Tourmalet in a thunderstorm....found a new one for me (the Col D'Ahusquy I think it was called)....last climb on last day...11km at 15%...bastards.... Currently eating like a fat loon still and wondering when I can face getting my arse back on a bike... For those in the CL Strava club, I'll post my rides tonight/tomorrow, so you can see what went on and where.....
  • Been off my bike for close to 2 months now. Torn my ankle ligaments, miss cycling more than anything :(
  • Sponsored links:

• EastStand said:

Been off my bike for close to 2 months now. Torn my ankle ligaments, miss cycling more than anything :(

It's horrendous when you can't ride. Make sure you don't come back too soon though. I made that mistake when I did my knee and it set me back four weeks.
  • edited June 2016
    Probably the scariest moment I've ever had on a bike today. Riding past North Kent College, minding my own business. Two cars driving towards me, all of a sudden a van pulled out from behind them, floored it and in trying to overtake drove straight at me. Absolutely crapped it, van must have been doing 50-60mph. Threw myself into the kerb and still felt the wing mirror brush my elbow. Was shaking like a leaf afterwards, thought my number was up. Two women walking their dog came running over as they thought he'd hit me. One of them tried to get the plate but he was gone. Took me ages to calm down. All I know is it was a white Vauxhall. If he'd stopped I'm pretty sure I'd have killed him.
  • Probably the scariest moment I've ever had on a bike today. Riding past North Kent College, minding my own business. Two cars driving towards me, all of a sudden a van pulled out from behind them, floored it and in trying to overtake drove straight at me. Absolutely crapped it, van must have been doing 50-60mph. Threw myself into the kerb and still felt the wing mirror brush my elbow. Was shaking like a leaf afterwards, thought my number was up. Two women walking their dog came running over as they thought he'd hit me. One of them tried to get the plate but he was gone. Took me ages to calm down. All I know is it was a white Vauxhall. If he'd stopped I'm pretty sure I'd have killed him.

Absolutely nothing you can do against rank beinganarseholery

Tougher sentences needed for shit like this on the infrequent occasions people who do it get caught and taken to court. A while ago I read about a bloke out on the Kent coast who wiped out a kid of 16 out training in the morning. He got a suspended sentence and had his driving license taken off him for three years. If I was that lad's dad, I'd have killed him myself.
  • Went out with Chorley CC for the first time today on their fast ride. Much better than Postling along with the noddy groups - average a little under 30k/h over a little under 120km.

Found a new bete noire - Birdy Brow. Makes Toys look like a trifling bump.
  • Anyone tried Ribble bike builder ?
    The R872 frame with Ultegra, Fulcrum 5s and Deda finishing kit is working out at about 1400 quid OR a Specialized Tarmac Comp??
    Decisions, descisions
  • Just back from 38 miles. Last 2 miles killed me. Found out why! Bike was serviced Tuesday and this included new brake blocks with little clearance.....back break was rubbing quite significantly! Numpty.
  • Just back from 38 miles. Last 2 miles killed me. Found out why! Bike was serviced Tuesday and this included new brake blocks with little clearance.....back break was rubbing quite significantly! Numpty.

Haha - I had that on a TT last year, entirely my own fault though. Banged brakes getting rhw bike out of the car, didn't check them before getting on, wondered why I was putting out 320 watts on the flat and only doing 30k/h...

Guess that's one way to increase your FTP!

Also - hat for not noticing it until 36 miles in :wink:
  • Probably the scariest moment I've ever had on a bike today. Riding past North Kent College, minding my own business. Two cars driving towards me, all of a sudden a van pulled out from behind them, floored it and in trying to overtake drove straight at me. Absolutely crapped it, van must have been doing 50-60mph. Threw myself into the kerb and still felt the wing mirror brush my elbow. Was shaking like a leaf afterwards, thought my number was up. Two women walking their dog came running over as they thought he'd hit me. One of them tried to get the plate but he was gone. Took me ages to calm down. All I know is it was a white Vauxhall. If he'd stopped I'm pretty sure I'd have killed him.

Also had a car pass me way to close today just past there. A few choice words were said as he sped past.

• So who's gonna be the first to go over the handlebars trying to do a Froome down some British road with council-sponsored potholes?
  • Stig said:

So who's gonna be the first to go over the handlebars trying to do a Froome down some British road with council-sponsored potholes?

Haha

Bloke on our club run this morning was doing it down a road in Skelmersdale. Also channelling his inner Stevie Cummings by tucking his glasses into the top of his Jersey on his back :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• Did the Ring of Kerry last weekend - 180k of hilly loveliness.
    At the end my shoulders, arms and hands were really knackered. What exercises are right for cycle specific strength/endurance training for the upper body?
  • I found that when I started climbing well (and by 'well' I mean not like a fat bear towing a fridge) it just took a couple of months to drop a bit more weight and my chest and arms then didn't hurt as much. I think the best exercises would be pull ups and press ups, with rows and triceps extensions. They'll work most of the muscle groups you use when pulling on the bars
  • Get a pair of the hand grip thingies, you'll be surprised how much they exercise your forearms and shoulders. (Do it while watching the tele)

Also,
    If you have suspected prostrate problems go to the Doc. It's usually NOT cancer.
    I have had Prostatitis for nearly a year now and still can't get my leg over a bike.
  • Can't wait to get this years running challenge done, I just don't seem to have time to hit up any rides whilst working around the gym, work and running.

It definitely takes it's toll on you.
  • Running? What?
  • Anyone tried Ribble bike builder ?
    The R872 frame with Ultegra, Fulcrum 5s and Deda finishing kit is working out at about 1400 quid OR a Specialized Tarmac Comp??
    Decisions, descisions

I have just been down to Evans at Gatwick to test ride the spec tarmac comp. Arrived on time, waited 30mins for them to get it ready and saw it was a 54 not 56 like i ordered. Rode out on to the A23 and it pissed down. Pissed wet through of Caterham. The comp didn't float my boat (ho ho). Test rode a di2 Genesis 800 quid more but felt right. I never got through to Ribble on the phone and they never returned my calls. So still on my Ti self built integra wheels and group set.
  • Do you not have a local bike shop you can use? Evans are absolutely dreadful for pretty much everything. The only thing I'd buy from them is tubes and gels - and generally even then only if if run out and needed some urgently.

Whereabouts are you based? Sigma in Kingston are a huge Specialized dealer, and have extremely knowledgeable staff who will set up a tarmac for you exactly the way you want
  • Bromley bike Co. Always have a good range of Specialized and are always helpful.
  • Cheers LA and Bbonce I'm not far from Geoff Butler's (bike plus) but will have a butchers at Sigma & Brom bike co.