Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Thanks - that bike looks decent, not sure I can do the orange though. Will have a look at what else they've got. Still trying to work out whether di2 worth paying for
  • The Venge is an absolutely awesome bike. Bought mine at the end of 2014 and have ridden it almost exclusively since then. It's so fast, nippy round corners and - paired with some aero wheels and bars - is just a beast.

I wouldn't bother with Di2. Unless you're the sort of nause who wants to eke out every second in gains, it's a pointless upgrade. You;d be much better off spending the cash on wheels or a power meter. What's it going to save you, maybe quarter of a second per shift? Pointless unless you're a pro. Same goes for groupsets - 105 is ridiculously good value for money, but there is a definite improvement when going to Ultegra - but the same can't be said for Dura Ace - it's just a little bit lighter. Wears quicker too.

venge
  • edited July 2016
    jamescafc said:

fatrob said:

Just done a 355 mile trip to Paris must say its one of the best things I've ever done

On strava?
    yes I'm in the Charlton life group

• fatrob said:

Just done a 355 mile trip to Paris must say its one of the best things I've ever done

How did you get on with food Rob? little and often? Gels?
    We had breakfast then a water stop mid morning with energy bars fruit peanuts etc lunch pasta salad fruit crisps etc water stop in the afternoon and dinner in the evening with a couple of gels if you need them
  • fatrob said:

fatrob said:

How did you get on with food Rob? little and often? Gels?
    We had breakfast then a water stop mid morning with energy bars fruit peanuts etc lunch pasta salad fruit crisps etc water stop in the afternoon and dinner in the evening with a couple of gels if you need them
    Thanks, when I did big rides I always found food a bit of an issue.
  • Grrrrrr. Numpty alert. Off work today, out for a ride. 15 miles in, bloody hell feels like a puncture. No worries I have a tube and levers in my saddle bag haven't I? After last time, surely yes. Nope, took the tube out to put my phone in first and forgot to put the bloody thing back. Anyone near Hawley Garden Centre and fancy giving me a lift to Sidcup?!?! What a twat.
  • Grrrrrr. Numpty alert. Off work today, out for a ride. 15 miles in, bloody hell feels like a puncture. No worries I have a tube and levers in my saddle bag haven't I? After last time, surely yes. Nope, took the tube out to put my phone in first and forgot to put the bloody thing back. Anyone near Hawley Garden Centre and fancy giving me a lift to Sidcup?!?! What a twat.

Sods law says this only happens when it's raining.
  • Thinking of doing my first club ride this weekend does anyone here ride with Sidcup Cycles or Woolwich CC
  • fatrob said:

Thinking of doing my first club ride this weekend does anyone here ride with Sidcup Cycles or Woolwich CC

See the Sidcup lot around quite a bit. The elite group are very very quick and I am guessing average close to 20mph over their 60 mile ride.

The intermidiate group appear to be plodders and they stop 2-3 times on their 50 mile loop.

Don't know anyone involved with Woolwich.
  • edited July 2016

fatrob said:

Thinking of doing my first club ride this weekend does anyone here ride with Sidcup Cycles or Woolwich CC

See the Sidcup lot around quite a bit. The elite group are very very quick and I am guessing average close to 20mph over their 60 mile ride.

The intermidiate group appear to be plodders and they stop 2-3 times on their 50 mile loop.

Don't know anyone involved with Woolwich.
    TBF, that's pretty much the way with most clubs. The elite/sporting group will be hammering it on most rides, whilst the 'middle' group will be slow as f***. I think @JohnBoyUK had that problem when he was riding more a couple of years ago (before he decided to take up (pah) 'running'). I think a lot of people are put off cycling with a club when they find that all the groups are too slow for them, except the sporting group, who are too fast.

I've never seen Woolwich or Sidcup out on the North Kent hills, possibly they go further afield - out to Ashdown or North Kent maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• So I ride with Bigfoot each week and struggled with finding the right pace for myself for quite a long time. they actually have a number of groups which go out, from level ones (averaging what can only be described as a crazy Leroy pace down to some serious plodding. however I still struggled as I fitted at the top of one of the levels (L3), but the jump to the next was quite dramatic as so many of those were guys from the top level coming back from injury. over time a group of us have managed to bridge that gap, and we were able to form our own group to ride, but shows you just how even having lots of different levels may take its time to find something that is relevant to you.

I know little on either of these cycling clubs, and wouldn't want to say a bad word on either, but know a couple of friends who were out last week and had a nasty accident due to some less than best practice riding technique of certain individuals riding with one Sidcup group which was a shame. They were riding down towards Knatts Valley though at the time, so do venture out into those north Kent hills from time to time.
  • edited July 2016
    I done London to Paris with a bloke from Big Foot called Roberto last week
  • Im cycling to Whitstable this weekend to see a mate. Staying in an airbnb.
    Is there an English version of warmshowers?
    Which is an american site that matches cyclists with somewhere to stay free for a night or two. Like sofasurfing.

We'll be pootling along NCN1 from Woolwich which i've only taken to Rochester before now. Quite looking forward to it.
  • I ride with San Fairy Ann Cycle Club which is quite a large club with most rides starting from Marden which is the other side of Maidstone. Lots of different levels and the rides venture onto the North Downs a lot of the time. Sometimes see the Sidcup Cycle Club out near Birling Hill and a few weeks ago they were riding through Yalding. No idea about Woolwich though.
  • Yep, exactly what Leroy said. Beyond frustrating when you get so far. I could ride 50-60 miles at 18-19mph comfortably but the jump to the next level was ferrocious. I went out a couple of times with race groups but it was far too serious and as soon as you were struggling, you'd get shelled out the back.

Nothing more frustrating than going out with a slower group, having 4-5 punctured in the same group then having to stop for coffee and cake (FFS, I want to ride to get fit, what is fascination with coffee and cake? man up, fill up 2 bidons and stuff some gels in your jersey pockets and you're good for hours!) which ends in going out at 9am but ending up home at nearly 3-4pm when even taking it easy, 50 miles could be done by lunchtime!!!

It was at that point I started running to try and drop a bit more weight and realised I preferred running more as I didnt have the faff of bike maintenance to sort out and a pair of new running shoes every 400 miles was going to be cheaper to maintain.

As it happens, since I've been diagnosed with a double hernia, I've spent some time back in the saddle, all be it on the turbo for the mo as I really cant do too much and its felt good so I will make a point of trying to get out a bit more on the bike when I'm finally fixed.

• Have exactly the same problem. I'm able to cruise along at 18-19mph but cannot make the next step up to join the elite riders.

Did the London to Southend weekend before last and was overtaken by no one other than those from clubs riding in chains. When I say it felt like they were riding around 30-40% quicker than me, it's no under statement.

I think I have a relatively good build for cycling (5' 11 and about 67kg) but I'm forever amazed at how many bigger blokes (with large beer guts) are able to ride substantially faster than me.

When I took up cycling around a year ago, I totally underestimated how complex the sport is.
  • I'm one of those fast fatties. Sorry :smiley:

Think a lot of it is to do with the kind of miles. No substitute for riding often, and fast. Also, don't forget that when you're lighter, you'll naturally be at a disadvantage on the flat - but smash us to bits up hills!

It's always better riding in a bunch. You'll save up to 30 percent of your energy just by sitting on, which means when it's your turn at the front you'll be able to come through and push a much higher power for the duration of your pull. Don't be put off by the speed they're going - you won't believe how much easier it is than you think.
  • I've been off the bike since coming back from the Pyrenees as those b'stard days seriously tested my love of cycling...1 or 2 mountains a day, fine...but 3 is too much (you start climbing the Tourmalet, in the rain, at 3pm in the afternoon after 6 hours in the saddle with two climbs and 100km already done...it's gruelling...).. Am off on holiday this weekend but will be back on the bike from end of August, as in the month I've been back I've put on 5kgs or so, which is not a good look on a bloke in his mid 40s....so...if anyone fancies a ride around north Kent from end of the summer, let me know... I don't like stopping for cake and I'll be aiming for minimum 28kph for the 50miles...(slower uphill of course!)...cheers
  • edited July 2016
    Change of topic.... 'Bon chance' to any Lifers riding the London-Surrey 100. I'll be riding out to Dorking to watch the elite men's Classic. The women's event (Classique) this evening was good to watch, but it ended in the inevitable bunch sprint. I was hoping that a break would go clear and provide a gutsy winner.
  • edited July 2016
    I get the impression there are few if any off roaders on this thread but here goes anyways....... I have just completed the Dan Cook off road, coast to coast ride from St Bees Cumbria to Robin Hood Bay Yorkshire. 22,000 feet of climb 203 miles in three days. Brutal through the lakes but a spectacular and challenging ride carrying bikes through black sail pass etc.

I did the South Downs way in a day last year , but this was much tougher. I might take the road riding a bit more seriously when my fitness level drops a bit :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• holyjo said:

I get the impression there are few if any off roaders on this thread but here goes anyways....... I have just completed the Dan Cook off road, coast to coast ride from St Bees Cumbria to Robin Hood Bay Yorkshire. 22,000 feet of climb 203 miles in three days. Brutal through the lakes but a spectacular and challenging ride carrying bikes through black sail pass etc.

I did the South Downs way in a day last year , but this was much tougher. I might take the road riding a bit more seriously when my fitness level drops a bit :wink:

I mountain bike more than road bike - just tootling round Missoula, Montana at the moment where the trails are pretty forgiving but the heat 100F by midday is a bit of a challenge. Taking the kids on the rides - they are 8 & 11 - good training for the upcoming Nordic Ski season.
  • Absolute chaos out there today, apparently. Luckily, I was out early enough not to suffer - but delays of up to an hour due to accidents. I'm not sure how to police it, but they really ought to do something about the general standard of riding, and people lying about their expected finishing times. I was out at 6:21 and there were hundreds of people in the earlier waves who had no chance of riding it in under 4 hours. There were some awful, awful choppers out there too - people who were actually reasonably quick, but had no idea of how to ride in a bunch - and I had to solo most of it bridging up to pacelines cos I didn't find a single reliable, controlled group to work with. Frustrating, because legs felt good and did a reasonable time with some monster turns on the way back in
  • too many people on it as well now, 28,000 starters, one little accident and it all goes to pot. Ripley incident someone lost control and hit a tree, neck and head injuries, at St Georges and probably on 24 Hours next year.

Doing it again next year, be happy with a leisurely 8am start, and just get round the slower ones.
  • An enjoyable ride out to Dorking for me. Excellent views of the race to be had there and also the benefit of race coverage on two big screens. But frustrating for many that the pro race was stopped en route due to 'congestion' ahead, in the form of a huge number of amateur riders, who themselves had been delayed. Last year, when no major incidents occurred, I was surprised at how many amateurs were riding into Dorking at 2.30pm, for the pros were not far behind them. The race organisers should either factor in a 'bale out' route for the slower amateurs and / or start the elite race later. Cue the usual BBC ineptitude, missing the peloton catching Stannard and Thomas and the commentators seemingly unaware of what was going on. I agree with the comments above regarding huge numbers of amateur riders, many of whom have little, or no experience of riding in a bunch. I rode over Box Hill on the way home and was appalled at all the energy gel wrappers on the road and the verges.
  • I recorded today's race and have just tried watching the closing stages. that has to be the worst coverage I have ever seen of a bike race, possibly the worst of any sport. For minutes at a time there were no bikes in shot, wtf was that all about. I saw a lot of the crowd and some police cars but have zero idea what was going on in the race. Have to feel sorry for the commentators today as they were working of the same pictures with absolutely no clue about what was going on
  • There is a bail out route - they put it into practice yesterday. Unfortunately, there was so much chaos and so many people held up that it still didn't work. Difficult to know what to do because:

A - It's run by London Marathon, there's no way they'll reduce the number of entrants as they wouldn't make as much money.
    B - You can't restrict it to people who have experience of previous sportives, because that would make it a glorified club run and there's no way you'd be able to justify closing huge swathes of London's roads for that every year.
    C - You can't go the other way and stop advertising timings & stuff to make it more like a 'fun ride' because it's people who don't have experience that generally cause the pile-ups.
    D - You can't reduce the length of the ride, because the fact that it's a hundred miler is what gets a lot of people interested in it due to the 'challenge' aspect (riding 100 miles is a bloody big achievement for a lot of people).
    E - You could take Leith Hill out of it - it's the only real challenge of a hill, and apparently has carnage every year as people stop dead in front of other riders - and often has crashes on the descent (there was a bad one yesterday, apparently) - but doing that would piss off anyone who cycles regularly and wanted to challenge themselves.
    F - There's potential to move the pro race to the Saturday - in fact, that's what takes place at the vast majority of other events like Paris-Roubaix, Tour of Flanders etc - but that would mean closing roads in Surrey for two days and the people who live on the route already moan about the Sunday, and are very influential cos they're rich'
    G - You simply can't account for piss poor riding like I saw yesterday. Some of it was laughable - especially from riders who (you would think) should know better

The Tour of Cambridgeshire was much better organised - the Gran Fondo is a UCI sanctioned race and acts as a qualifier for the amateur world championships, so there are thousands of riders racing it, and there's a sportive afterwards with much larger numbers. That doesn't have the problems Ride London does, admittedly there aren't any climbs to cause bottlenecks, but the route is very narrow in places, and there are still nasty turns on shit road surfaces. Maybe the fact that it isn't in London helps.

I'd like to do it again - think I could do it in 4:10 with a good working group as I had loads left in the tank after misjudging how easy it would be - but I'm not confident it will happen next year, or if it does, don't expect it to be the same route.
  • Rothko said:

too many people on it as well now, 28,000 starters, one little accident and it all goes to pot. Ripley incident someone lost control and hit a tree, neck and head injuries, at St Georges and probably on 24 Hours next year.

Doing it again next year, be happy with a leisurely 8am start, and just get round the slower ones.

Although an entirely different ride, I gave up doing the London to Brighton years ago for this reason.
    I spent as much time pushing the bike through small towns as I did riding it.

There has to be a sensible limit to these events.
  • Audax might be the answer for those wanting long distance rides.
  • 33 injured and requiring hospital transfer, of which 7 stayed overnight, and 3 are in serious conditions.
  • Rothko said:

33 injured and requiring hospital transfer, of which 7 stayed overnight, and 3 are in serious conditions.

Blimey, I thought the London to Brighton was bad enough with all the problems Leroy describes but I don't think they hit these numbers