Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Meanwhile I enjoyed going on the NCN1 from London to Whitstable on Saturday. A truly eccentric route that took me 65 miles through orchards, nature reserves, wild footpaths and canal side tracks.
    Absolutely fantastic even if we were only able to manage 11mph average speed.
    And then dancing the night away to Terry Hall's dj set at the Oyster Festival. A great weekend.
  • Seen another has died too. So sad.
  • iainment said:

Meanwhile I enjoyed going on the NCN1 from London to Whitstable on Saturday. A truly eccentric route that took me 65 miles through orchards, nature reserves, wild footpaths and canal side tracks.
    And then dancing the night away to Terry Hall's dj set at the Oyster Festival. A great weekend.

That's quite a good average speed I'd say, considering some of the terrible signposting on that route, particularly around Sittingbourne.
  • I don't understand why people unused to cycling or cycling long distances think it's ok to join these races. They wouldn't decide to do a flipping 50k run out of the blue, why do they think they can manage a hundred mile cycle?
  • iainment said:

Meanwhile I enjoyed going on the NCN1 from London to Whitstable on Saturday. A truly eccentric route that took me 65 miles through orchards, nature reserves, wild footpaths and canal side tracks.

That's quite a good average speed I'd say, considering some of the terrible signposting on that route, particularly around Sittingbourne.
    Yes - we got a bit lost there but regained the route with help from a local. Not the nicest of places is it? But nice people.
    I was surprised by a couple of things on the way. Gillingham by the river has some lovely spots, fantastic views en route, the Riverside Nature Park is gorgeous. Looking forward to going further on it and also to exploring Kent a bit.
    Can also highly recommend the airbnb we stsyed in at Whitstable.
  • EastStand said:

I don't understand why people unused to cycling or cycling long distances think it's ok to join these races. They wouldn't decide to do a flipping 50k run out of the blue, why do they think they can manage a hundred mile cycle?

That's a good point, but it's sold as a charity achievement type of event, so people will always extend themselves thinking they can do it. Its like the marathon - it's achievable for most people, but unless you're relatively fit, there's no way you'd be able to run a marathon without training for it. A lot of the poor sods I saw in St James' Park afterwards were absolutely ruined - im guessing many of them underestimated how difficult it would be.

That said it is pretty much pan flat apart from those three hills, so is likely to attract charity fundraisers more than, say, the Fred Whitton or the Velothon Wales.

My mate did it in under 4 hours, and he said that there weren't really any disastrous riding right in the first waves. Definitely seems to have been a problem later on, I guess because people who wanted to do it in a decent time got given much later starts that they should have (one guy who I ride against on Zwift was aiming for 4 hours but given a 7.30 start) and the had to slalom through nodders
  • edited August 2016

EastStand said:

I don't understand why people unused to cycling or cycling long distances think it's ok to join these races. They wouldn't decide to do a flipping 50k run out of the blue, why do they think they can manage a hundred mile cycle?

That's a good point, but it's sold as a charity achievement type of event, so people will always extend themselves thinking they can do it. Its like the marathon - it's achievable for most people, but unless you're relatively fit, there's no way you'd be able to run a marathon without training for it. A lot of the poor sods I saw in St James' Park afterwards were absolutely ruined - im guessing many of them underestimated how difficult it would be.

That said it is pretty much pan flat apart from those three hills, so is likely to attract charity fundraisers more than, say, the Fred Whitton or the Velothon Wales.

My mate did it in under 4 hours, and he said that there weren't really any disastrous riding right in the first waves. Definitely seems to have been a problem later on, I guess because people who wanted to do it in a decent time got given much later starts that they should have (one guy who I ride against on Zwift was aiming for 4 hours but given a 7.30 start) and the had to slalom through nodders
    People probably also think that its an event where because your sitting on something most of the time so is easier than running
  • I've done a few 100 mile plus events and echo the thoughts above. I suppose the organisers have some responsibility to hammer home how tough it will be for most and also to ensure not too many people are allowed to ride especially if you know there are pinch points along the way.
    My thoughts are with the guy who died and his people.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

Yes - we got a bit lost there but regained the route with help from a local. Not the nicest of places is it? But nice people.
    I was surprised by a couple of things on the way. Gillingham by the river has some lovely spots, fantastic views en route, the Riverside Nature Park is gorgeous. Looking forward to going further on it and also to exploring Kent a bit.
    No, lots of industrial units through Sittingbourne. Yes, lots of great views, many of which you wouldn't get to see or appreciate in a car. I'm planning on a ride from Dartford to Margate later this month. I recommend the Viking Trail, which starts at Reculver (I think) and goes round the coast through Margate and Ramsgate etc.
  • iainment said:

iainment said:

No, lots of industrial units through Sittingbourne. Yes, lots of great views, many of which you wouldn't get to see or appreciate in a car. I'm planning on a ride from Dartford to Margate later this month. I recommend the Viking Trail, which starts at Reculver (I think) and goes round the coast through Margate and Ramsgate etc.
    The Viking Trail is a very pleasant ride. Mr and Mrs MAM did this regularly when we had a caravan at Reculver. Make sure you finish in the Ethelbert pub there, it used to be excellent. Not sure what it's like now.

Oh and don't go into the car park if you've got your bikes on the roof, like I saw somebody do not so long ago. He was picking up the pieces of his Colnago when we left. He didn't see the height restriction.

I signed up for this some years ago, http://www.cycle-route.com/ - It's quite useful in and around the Kent area.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

iainment said:

I got the Sustrans Kent map and saw that route and thought it looked good.
    We're thinking of train to maybe Sandwich or Deal and work our way back round the coast.
  • On a slightly different note, we're moving and downsizing, so we decided to sell our two Bromptons.

Couldn't believe the prices these are being traded at on Ebay. Virtually got our money back on them after 10 years.
  • What do the lycra warriors think about the Lizzie Armistead story that has come out today.

Current World Champion in the Women's world of cycling and missed three Drugs Tests, after a successful appeal one of those missed tests has been thrown out and she remains on two warnings, many athletes going to the Olympics feel that it's double standards especially as so many Russians are being banned from competing themselves?

I feel though she should be given the benefit of the doubt, comparing her with the Russians is a joke seeing that so many have actually failed tests when completed

Also if you've read the second Mark Cavendish book you'll realise how easy it is to mess up the paperwork for the testers to find them seeing that he had two strikes himself the other year simply because the paperwork wasn't completed on time
  • I think it stinks, and I hate it. Because I love Lizzie as a rider, and was over the moon when she won the worlds, but I don't buy it. I know the whereabouts system isn't perfect, but you'd think a professional athlete would be more careful, especially if she'd already been popped not once, but twice. Her entire livelihood depends on it. Also suspicious that the period of missed tests coincides with her becoming the best female rider in the world (and yes, I'm aware that Marianne Vos wasn't around during that period)

She's either a cheat, or a fool. I won't watch her with the same level of enjoyment I did previously.

I think we also need an explanation from both her and the drug tester...

At the moment it looks dodgy yet if it's a case that paperwork was completed correctly yet the tester made the mistake then she should be subject to a witch hunt.

i.e. Else how on earth did she win her appeal?
  • Have been treating myself to a few bike bits in the last few weeks, finally gone full lycra for distance rides (4 stone weight loss celebration!), new Kask Helmet and am having a pair of Fizik RB5 shoes delivered tomorrow.

With new shoes I am considering new pedals. I've used Look pedals and cleats for as long as I've used "proper" pedals and am thinking about switching to Speedplays.

Anyone else use them? If so, what are they like in comparison? How easy are they to clip in and out of and how long do the cleats last? Finally, are the cleats ok to walk in? Can you get covers?
  • I use speed plays and they are great...extremely easy in and out (that's one of their usp's) and you can get covers or they now do some that don't need them (I don't know enough about them so no comment - I've been using the 'older version' for about 7 years...). Highly recommended.
  • Just in case anyone missed it, there was a very interesting documentary on Sky last night about Wiggins build up to Rio. Worth a watch on catch up.
  • I use Speedplays, and the walkables which have the covers. Like the a lot, easy to walk in now they've added the covers, and can be set up to suit you and how much movement you want from them.
  • red_murph said:

Just in case anyone missed it, there was a very interesting documentary on Sky last night about Wiggins build up to Rio. Worth a watch on catch up.

Was a great watch. Has anyone seen this promoted or advertised? Literally stumbled over it last night. All his other docs were promoted to death.
  • Sponsored links:

• What do the lycra warriors think about the Lizzie Armistead story that has come out today.

Current World Champion in the Women's world of cycling and missed three Drugs Tests, after a successful appeal one of those missed tests has been thrown out and she remains on two warnings, many athletes going to the Olympics feel that it's double standards especially as so many Russians are being banned from competing themselves?

I feel though she should be given the benefit of the doubt, comparing her with the Russians is a joke seeing that so many have actually failed tests when completed

Also if you've read the second Mark Cavendish book you'll realise how easy it is to mess up the paperwork for the testers to find them seeing that he had two strikes himself the other year simply because the paperwork wasn't completed on time

My feeling is, that there's no excuse. These peoples livelihoods depend on it, and getting the paperwork done is as much part and parcel of the job as the bike riding. If you leave this sort of things to somebody else, then you're leaving yourself wide open.

I share Leroy's views about Lizzie, it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

• If she wasn't British we'd all say she's a drug cheat. But of course she's just a scatterbrain who forgot what she should have done.
  • iainment said:

If she wasn't British we'd all say she's a drug cheat. But of course she's just a scatterbrain who forgot what she should have done.

Yeh, a bit like Linford Christie :-)
  • iainment said:

If she wasn't British we'd all say she's a drug cheat. But of course she's just a scatterbrain who forgot what she should have done.

Yeh, a bit like Linford Christie :-)
    If she's got a bit like Linford Christie, surely they should be gender testing as well?

• Mo Farah missed 2 tests in the run up to 2012, it could certainly be argued that this is worse than Lizzie's record as 1 of hers has been ruled to be the testers fault and another was due to a funeral. did Mo get much stick? I can't remember

The biggest problem here imo is changing it from 3 tests in 18months to 3 in 12. gives those who are skipping them intentionally much more leeway
  • edited August 2016
    None of them were for a funeral. If they were for a funeral, she would have had time to tell UKAD that she wouldn't be in her specified location and update the whereabouts app. One was for a 'family emergency'. The specifics of that haven't been made public, but it's possible that this is true and she forgot to update. Another is for an 'administrative error' - i.e. she cocked up telling them where she was going to be and 'forgot' to update them. The first (the one she successfully challenged, almost a year after not bothering) was because she claims her phone was on silent and the hotel she was staying at wouldn't allow the testers to contact her room.

At least two of those stink. Most worryingly, micro-dosing (which is what the majority of dirty cyclists will be doing nowadays) is very difficult to detect, as the biological passport changes are subtle, and glow-time (the period of time after dosing during which an athlete would test positive) is greatly reduced. Having two 'strikes' against you, with the paucity of testing being done due to budget constraints meaning you're not likely to get tested out of competition that much, smells really bad - having three and needing to appeal one on a technicality (apparently the testers didn't follow procedure and left too early after the hotel refused to call her room) stinks. If you read Tyler Hamilton's book, it goes into some detail about how to avoid drug testers. Admittedly, that's from an era when the UCI didn't give a shit about catching dopers, but the principle remains the same - and there are eerie parallels between them.

Another interesting point here, is just how many times she is likely to have not been where she said she was, but suffered no consequences as the testers weren't there. It's stretching the bounds of credibility to state that the only three times she's fucked up were the three times the testers arrived.

Doesn't look good for her.
    rina said:

The biggest problem here imo is changing it from 3 tests in 18months to 3 in 12. gives those who are skipping them intentionally much more leeway

Surely being tested more regularly is a good thing?
  • edited August 2016

rina said:

Surely being tested more regularly is a good thing?
    that's not the number of tests, it's the number of tests you have to miss to get a ban so 3 in 12 months gives dopers a lot more leeway than 3 in 18
  • Lizzie doesn't have a coach so wasn't surprised that she ballsed up.
  • Does anybody know if this happened on Brailsford's watch or later?
  • iainment said:

Did you do it on a road bike or a mountain bike? Is it possible to do on either?