Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• JohnBoyUK said:

rina said:

Dazzler21 said:

What's all this talk of k... If you mean 153.5 miles then say 153.5 miles.

Bloody using k to oversell distances to those that don't know the difference, the cheek of it.

:wink::smiley::lol:

#rule24
    Exactly this

If we start ignoring the rules we may as well talk about soccer on CL
    soccer??

Cube sizing.
    if I'm a 56cm normally. 58cm on a Cube?
    If it helps, I've got a 58" cube and I'm exactly 6ft
    That's a big cube you've got there!
  • Dazzler21 said:

I hope you're all following rule 25 then.

Hmm, no, sorry

if I'm honest I broke the following rules this weekend

18, 23, 25, 29, 30, 31, 33 (which I intend to keep breaking), 50, 75 (through sheer laziness), 80, 90 and so I guess also no. 1
  • Thanks John, so am i.
    I had a sit on an Ultegra equipped Agree yesterday, the only problem is it's in Exeter and they won't ship it.

Is your undercarriage better now? Perhaps we could get out into the lanes of Kent sometime?
  • Dazzler21 said:

I hope you're all following rule 25 then.

Yep. Car worth about two grand. Venge sitting on top worth about four.
    That's just blasphemous! 4G's for a bicycle.
  • Came off my bike about a month ago now doing the Kentish Killer and broke my wrist in the process. Fortunately it has healed well and the cast came off today. However I need to get hold of a new frame as I managed to crack the rear triangle and completely messed up the front forks. Looking to spend up to about £250 on this so I have a fairly decent commuter/winter bike and then I'm going to splash out a bit on a new summer bike (perfect timing) but has anyone got recommendations where to pick up good frames at this sort of price? Happy with second hand, but struggling to find a good place to start.

Thanks
  • give paradise bikes a shout - really sound guys worth having a look for second hand frames. make sure your components will work especially if you're going for a much older frame though.

Alternatively planet x were getting ride of some SAB frames - not sure if they still are, but cheap and good.
  • Thanks John, so am i.
    I had a sit on an Ultegra equipped Agree yesterday, the only problem is it's in Exeter and they won't ship it.

Is your undercarriage better now? Perhaps we could get out into the lanes of Kent sometime?
    Nearly. Gotta get a bike first.
  • I should have added without the Mrs noticing.
  • The Cube I owned looked great but was a bloody nightmare in terms of maintenance. I had 3 warranty claims in 10 months. The shop I bought it from (Sidcup Cycles) got so fed up with people bringing them back for repair that they stopped stocking them.

In answer to the original question, yes the frames do come up a little small.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

@Dazzler21 lol....for £4k you can just about buy the wheels and gear set on my 'good' bike (doesn't make me go faster of course, as I am old and too heavy, but I like owning it)...

I should have added this was with stock wheels not my good ones... :smiley:

Cycling is purely aimed at my demographic. When I walk into a bike shop the tills start ringing...
  • Interesting feature on Canada's No.1 Mountain Biker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-5MJ-XoV5g&feature=youtu.be
  • Bikesheduk.com

is an absolute gem in the west country. Some nice prices on road bikes.

so i came home with a bmx!
  • Need some advice re a cycling injury.

Discovered a pain in my left knee, just to the right hand side of my knee cap. It's a dull ache that gets worse the longer I ride.

To begin with it hurt to walk but this died down after a few days rest. Got back on the bike after a week off (today) and in pain again after a light 17k ride to work.

Any ideas what this could be and what treatment is best?

Few guys at work have suggested physio, others say it's part and parcel of cycling daily, other have suggested deep heat.
  • I had similar and it was caused by tight muscles at the top of my leg basically pulling the rest of my leg/knee out of shape....a roller at the top of the leg helped (bloody killed though), as well as general stretching...if a general stretch doesn't work, then I'd see a physio... I'm struggling with a pain in the tendon behind my left knee now...am just putting it down to being old and unfit...
  • I had similar and it was caused by tight muscles at the top of my leg basically pulling the rest of my leg/knee out of shape....a roller at the top of the leg helped (bloody killed though), as well as general stretching...if a general stretch doesn't work, then I'd see a physio... I'm struggling with a pain in the tendon behind my left knee now...am just putting it down to being old and unfit...

Tbf I never stretch. Will give it a go. Haven't cycled through winter to spend the summer injured.
  • Agree - it's likely to be a tightening of the muscles that people always call 'the IT band'. However, it's usually not the actual IT band that's the problem - it's the glutes. I had a knee problem that sounds identical to yours - after fighting it (and by 'fighting it' I mean doing nothing for a week then getting back on the bike and having it flare up again) I finally bit the bullet and went to a physio. Took him about 30 minutes of various stretches, planks etc to diagnose a basically non-existent left glute muscle. He gave me lots of exercises aimed at strengthening it, including the foam roller as CC says above - but with really specific instructions on how to do it so as to actually roll the muscle, rather than the IT band itself (pointless, because it isn't a muscle, so can't get 'tight' - see here for details)

The roller REALLY hurts - but it made a big, big difference to me, and meant I was back on the bike after a month
  • Hmm, if the pain is on the left knee but the right hand side of it...your right? so more towards the inside of your leg? is it behind the kneecap?

If so, that isnt IT or Glut-related, thats an inalance between your inner and outer quads. Have you run a lot in the past?!
  • jamescafc said:

Need some advice re a cycling injury.

Discovered a pain in my left knee, just to the right hand side of my knee cap. It's a dull ache that gets worse the longer I ride.

To begin with it hurt to walk but this died down after a few days rest. Got back on the bike after a week off (today) and in pain again after a light 17k ride to work.

Any ideas what this could be and what treatment is best?

Few guys at work have suggested physio, others say it's part and parcel of cycling daily, other have suggested deep heat.

Is the pain there on twisting still? Sounds muscular but is in the perfect location to be the LCL.

Get some stretches in, if they hurt or bring the pain about in the spot you refer to I'd see a Physio.

It's not the IT band based on your description, my left one tightened up and my Physio advised that it was typical for the pain to be to the left just below the knee cap height which can cause Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome too.

Squats and leg extensions were recommend to strengthen my opposing side of the thigh.

Also the IT band you'll know if it's tight as well as you can feel a general tightness on the outer left of your thigh.

If
    jamescafc said:

Tbf I never stretch. Will give it a go. Haven't cycled through winter to spend the summer injured.

This won't help your muscles, ligaments or tendons!

• Sponsored links:

• Thanks all. Actually bought a foam roller today as someone at work (very keen athelete) suggested it. Will give it a go and perhaps physio tjereafter.

Pain is on right hand side of left knee and feels like it's on the edge of knee cap.

I have run before, about 20k a week for a few years before swapping over to the bike.
  • Have you ever had a bike fitting? @jamescafc
  • OK. So, you know how people try to play up how bad something is? Like getting a tattoo? Or running a marathon? And then you do it - and it isn't really as horrendous as they say it is?

Well, Paris-Roubaix is unutterably hard. The first secteur we did was the Arenberg Trench - and it was five minute of absolute, utter hell. Then the rest of them were brutally hard too - right up to the carrefour de l'arbe which was pleasantly bearable (it had a reputation as being as bad as the Arenberg, but it certainly wasn't)

Had one crash, at relatively low speed, and only two mechanicals - puncture and chain slip into wheel, so was quite lucky

It's been on my bucket list for years - now it's done, I would never, ever go back. Never.

Really jealous - sounds class.

Were there loads doing it? Closed roads?
  • olster said:

OK. So, you know how people try to play up how bad something is? Like getting a tattoo? Or running a marathon? And then you do it - and it isn't really as horrendous as they say it is?

Well, Paris-Roubaix is unutterably hard. The first secteur we did was the Arenberg Trench - and it was five minute of absolute, utter hell. Then the rest of them were brutally hard too - right up to the carrefour de l'arbe which was pleasantly bearable (it had a reputation as being as bad as the Arenberg, but it certainly wasn't)

Had one crash, at relatively low speed, and only two mechanicals - puncture and chain slip into wheel, so was quite lucky

It's been on my bucket list for years - now it's done, I would never, ever go back. Never.

Really jealous - sounds class.

Were there loads doing it? Closed roads?
    It was - really well organised (though part of the ASO umbrella, so plenty of attempts to gouge you for things like jerseys, photos, videos etc). Wasn't closed roads, but near enough zero traffic apart from in Roubaix itself. Certainly nothing on the cobbles - and I think we were only passed maybe four times all day by cars. Highly recommend it.
  • Carbon frames.
    Since i haven't ridden for a while I've really piled on the pounds (13 st).
    would i be alright on a carbon frame?
  • Carbon frames.

I'm 2.5 stone heavier than you and ride a carbon frame without issue.
  • Carbon frames.

Cheers Clem.

and how do you look poured into tight lycra?
  • Carbon frames.

Cheers Clem.

and how do you look poured into tight lycra?
    I'm more of a relaxed Mtb clothing kind of guy!
  • Glad to hear it.
    I've just bought some bmx shorts that my son thinks are for him.