Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• I treated Mrs MaM to a week in Italy earlier this month as the Tirreno/Adriatico was going through some of our favourite holiday places, Viareggio/Lido di Camaiore/Forte di Marmi.

The first stage was the chronosquadre/team time trial just up the road from our hotel.

The road from Viareggio to Forte di Marmi where it was run is a perfectly flat, wide road with cycle lanes alongside, so it's great cycling country, especially if you don't like hills. It goes on for about 30k as does the sandy beach.

They shut the roads to cars about two hours before the TTT started, so it gave you the opportunity to ride the course given that the roads are so wide. It was a bit of an experience to be riding the course when you suddenly find the Astana and other squads breathing down the back of your neck on the road. Unfortunately we could only manage a couple of hired Bianchi Hybrids, so we let them go as they passed:-)

This race has had a bit of an upgrade in recent years, and included several big names, Sagan, Nibali, Viviani and Cavendish. The racing was good to watch and you could get up close to the race and again after when the teams were cooling down.

Cavendish was in good form outside the team coach, and after the warm down was happy to do selfies and autographs with the crowd. Nibali on the other hand seemed to be in race mode a bit too long, and didn't pass the time of day with the big Italian crowd. Understandable, perhaps.

Day 2 was the first road stage from Camaiore to Pomarance and we managed to get a good vantage point just out Viareggio on a roundabout to see them swing past, with Cavendish bring up the rear. After that we watched the rest on TV.

Might be taking in a few more of the 'smaller' races.

• Did the Sport Relief thing today, and my god I thought the roads in Kent and Surrey were shite, but the ones in Essex and Havering are a different level of moonscape.
  • Just booked the Spring Saddle sportive organised by Wiggle anyone done any of there sportives before
  • What route you doing?
  • I'm doing Paris-Roubaix next week. 28c tyres and double wrapped bar tape ftw :smiley:
  • The standard 74 miles from Newmarket
  • Starting to get out on the bike now after a 5 month winter break, local trails still a bit slushy and wet so we keep off them until they dry out.

Am sad the Cross Country skiing is pretty much over - that is such a great workout & the fitness really carries over into biking.
  • Have hardly been on the bike all winter...got a 210k audax tomorrow... that'll teach me.plus 40k there and back. It won't be pretty but I'll survive...
  • olster said:

Have hardly been on the bike all winter...got a 210k audax tomorrow... that'll teach me.plus 40k there and back. It won't be pretty but I'll survive...

I was worried about my 100k tomorrow having not been on the bike for months but you've made me feel better
  • rina said:

olster said:

Have hardly been on the bike all winter...got a 210k audax tomorrow... that'll teach me.plus 40k there and back. It won't be pretty but I'll survive...

I was worried about my 100k tomorrow having not been on the bike for months but you've made me feel better
    Me too. I'm riding 100k tomorrow from Bexley to Margate. Oli's ride makes ours look like a jog round the block. Good luck both, at least the weather looks to be kind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck lads - just stay on the wheel in front and you'll be fine.
  • Cheers Oli. Look forward to hearing about it when we catch up in a few weeks.

Btw you guys on strava? Send me your names and I'll add you.
  • Anyone know anything about Bergmont bikes ?
    Chainreaction have a deal on an Ultegra equipped bike but i can't find out much about them.
  • Bliley. That was tough. Very slow due to a lot of cramping but delighted to finish. Time to start doing some actual training before I do that again

https://www.strava.com/activities/534864192
  • Still good miles. You missed out all the best bits though by avoiding the Surrey Hills... :smiley:
  • @rina I had similar problems today. As soon as I hit 50 miles it's like someone has added weights to my bike. Trouble is my body is only used to my 25 mile commute and I don't have time to practice longer runs.
  • Got on the road bike today for the first time in at least 5 months - didn't feel too bad & the weather was pretty good for April in the Rockies - time to start cranking it up....
  • 247k yesterday. Felt pretty ropey last night, but feel fine this morning.

Got to the start nice and early, registered, got myself a coffee, came out just before my start time - and a flat front tyre. Actually ended up being a blessing in disguise as changed the tube inside five minutes and got out with the next start group, immediately started riding with a group of 3 (4 with me) and stayed with them for the rest of the day. Within the first 50km, 3 of us had had a puncture - it was that sort of weather, but once we got going, no more issues.

Made good progress, and lovely cycling across Essex into Suffolk - never been round there before. Still, started to really feel it towards the end and I promised myself that this is the last winter I have off of the bike.

Few weird (as in unique) creaks coming out of the bike towards the end so will strip it down at some point this week ready for putting in more miles over the coming months.

Good weekend weather wise for cycling though. Again, highly recommend doing an Audax (aukweb.com) not signed like a sportive, but they have a full spectrum of abilities, usually some pretty odd bikes doing it and some great routes. They're also dirt cheap. Only done 3 so far, but hoping to fill my summer full of them.
  • I went cycling on the Yorkshire Moors on Saturday....whilst you were enjoying warm, sunny weather down here, I was in the pissing rain, freezing cold with fog/mist on the top of the moors that meant you couldn't see more than 10 metres in front.. Chose a ridiculous route, up Rosedale Chimney Bank, Blakey Bank, Glaisdale and one other, each of which was between 20% and 33% .....I did it 5 years ago when I 'wanted to do some climbing'...5 years on and my body hates me...back still seized up :-(

Great work on 247k @olster ....I'll jump on strava to have a look, presuming you are in the group?
  • What's all this talk of k... If you mean 153.5 miles then say 153.5 miles.

Bloody using k to oversell distances to those that don't know the difference, the cheek of it.

:wink::smiley::lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• haha @Dazzler21 age old trick of making it sound further than it actually is.

@Charlton Charlie - yes mate, presume i'm still in there. cheers.
  • @Dazzler21 all cycling is measured in km, as we're all continental innit? ;-)
  • @Dazzler21 all cycling is measured in km, as we're all continental innit? ;-)

Not for much longer ;)
  • Dazzler21 said:

What's all this talk of k... If you mean 153.5 miles then say 153.5 miles.

Bloody using k to oversell distances to those that don't know the difference, the cheek of it.

#rule24
  • Dazzler21 said:

#rule24
    Exactly this

If we start ignoring the rules we may as well talk about soccer on CL
  • I hope you're all following rule 25 then.
  • rina said:

Dazzler21 said:

#rule24
    Exactly this

soccer??

Cube sizing.
    if I'm a 56cm normally. 58cm on a Cube?
  • rina said:

Dazzler21 said:

#rule24
    Exactly this

soccer??

Cube sizing.
    if I'm a 56cm normally. 58cm on a Cube?
    If it helps, I've got a 58" cube and I'm exactly 6ft
  • Thanks John, so am i.
    I had a sit on an Ultegra equipped Agree yesterday, the only problem is it's in Exeter and they won't ship it.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I hope you're all following rule 25 then.

Yep. Car worth about two grand. Venge sitting on top worth about four.