Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• jamescafc said:

Only got the Garmin Edge 200 atm and it's in need of replacement.

Does anyone have the Edge 1000?

Yep. Best garmin ever. Not cheap, but the first garmin with hardware specced for the job, rather than underspecced. Definitely worth it.
  • Just seen it for £275 on Amazon. Trying to explain that one to the gf will be a tough ask though. Like the look of the feature where it plots three routes for you form your starting point based on the mileage you want to do.
  • jamescafc said:

Just seen it for £275 on Amazon. Trying to explain that one to the gf will be a tough ask though. Like the look of the feature where it plots three routes for you form your starting point based on the mileage you want to do.

Save the money and buy a Kent cycling map.
    Half the fun is plotting your own routes.
  • @jamescafc I just bought one but not used it yet...I got it from Winstanley Bikes for £325 with a new heart rate monitor and speed/cadence monitor...think it's called the performance spec... Had an 800 for years but it finally gave up the ghost and the screen kept freezing..seemed like a good excuse to upgrade... :-)
  • @Charlton Charlie when you say HRM and cadence monitor are they extras or functions within the 1000? Not sure if there are different specs of the device you can buy.

• jamescafc said:

Only got the Garmin Edge 200 atm and it's in need of replacement.

Does anyone have the Edge 1000?

I went from an Edge to a Touring Plus (xmas present from the wife). The Touring Plus has had a bit of bad press but I love it. Does everything I want and the sat-nav saved me when I got lost out by Eynsford a while back!
  • @jamescafc sorry for late reply, they are the extra bits of hardware that you would otherwise buy separately (if you wanted to record heart rate & cadence)...cheaper to buy in this bundle than as separates...
  • @heavenSE7 I'm new to cycling found London to Paris in July I'm up for training rides I you fancy from Bexleyheath
  • I've broken my arm recently and am getting withdrawal symptoms. Anyone know where I can find a good turbo training program to follow?

Also got a Garmin 800 and have fitted a speed and cadence sensor. Why can't/how can I get the cadence reading onto the 'home screen'?

Thanks in advance.
  • I got myseIf a copy of Cavendish's 3LC Road Race video. It's an hour long training session for turbo work.
    It's only 9.99 from Halford's, 19.99 elsewhere.

It's not bad, covers all levels and good for dark, wet Saturday afternoons ;-)

Dunno about the Garmin, sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers M@M, I'll look out for that on Monday.
  • I'd check online first, Mrs M@M got me mine but I think she ordered it in. Only took a couple of days.
  • Ordered it on Amazon. Luckily, just before I pushed the button I realised we don't have a video player.........went back and got the DVD!
  • fatrob said:

@heavenSE7 I'm new to cycling found London to Paris in July I'm up for training rides I you fancy from Bexleyheath

Scope? 24 hours?
  • I've broken my arm recently and am getting withdrawal symptoms. Anyone know where I can find a good turbo training program to follow?

Also got a Garmin 800 and have fitted a speed and cadence sensor. Why can't/how can I get the cadence reading onto the 'home screen'?

Thanks in advance.

Should be able to touch and hold the screen for about five seconds then get the option to customise which fields there are on display

Also, although you've just bought the Cav workout, take a look at sufferfest or zwift. Turbo sessions are actually fun with either if those
  • Cheers Leroy.....M@M you owe me a tenner!
  • Cheers Leroy.....M@M you owe me a tenner!

Was it not in Halfords?
  • fatrob said:

@heavenSE7 I'm new to cycling found London to Paris in July I'm up for training rides I you fancy from Bexleyheath

Scope? 24 hours?
    Alzheimer's 328 miles

Day 1 90 miles
    Day 2 100 miles
    Day 3 69 miles
    Day 4 79

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/35710558

Some mixed news here.

I'm fortunate enough to have two tickets for Friday, really looking forward to it.

• Will be there on Thursday and looking forward to it
  • Sponsored links:

• How did you guys get tickets? Never really liked the idea of watching indoor racing but guess I should try before criticising!
  • edited March 2016
    Mine were a birthday present, purchased in January. Not sure but I think she bought them online.

The atmosphere is excellent.
  • Enjoyed two excellent sessions at the Velodrome yesterday with most of the Brits in good form.

The atmosphere was pretty electric, I wonder how they keep the roof on sometimes. What you see on the TV just doesn't do it any justice.

Saw 5 catches in the pursuit races which included 3 Brits and the ladies pursuit team. Never seen a whole team catch another before, but the British ladies coasted past the Chinese team at nearly 3000metres.

Cavendish was out three times yesterday and did well to win his pursuit race, but I think it's touch and go whether he gets on the podium, which he will need to do to qualify for the Rio Omnium. He had a ding-dong with Viviani in the elimination race.

Some good up and coming talent in the Brit team, Andrew Tennant and Callum Skinner particlarly. Owain Doull put in a good shift too.

Callum Skinner took a good scalp in that of Gregory Bauge in the pursuit, with a lot of hard work.

The stewards at these events are completely different from what we experience at football. They were friendly, chatty and very helpful. I only saw one guy tipping a bottle of water away when his bag was searched, but not sure why as they sold them inside the Velodrome anyway. I kept mine in my jacket as they only searched the women's handbags on the way in.

All in all a great day. Looking forward to next week's Tirreno/Adriatico.

• What is the purpose of wearing socks over your cycling shoes?
  • What is the purpose of wearing socks over your cycling shoes?

They aren't socks they are outer shoes. 99% of cycling shoes aren't waterproof and overshoes are.

The main reason I use them is warmth. On a long ride it doesn't take long for your toes to freeze.
  • Cheers Clem, I noticed someone in work putting them on and was just curious
  • Cheers Clem, I noticed someone in work putting them on and was just curious

don't stare at his shorts and ask why..
  • This morning I thought Spring had arrived. Just got home and it feels like winter. That wind was a bastard!
  • Guys how often should I be changing my tyres?
  • when they look bald @jamescafc ! Seriously though, it all depends on the mileage you're doing, type of riding and the abuse they're getting... Rule of thumb (for me at least)...when they look worn and tatty, change them...til then, carry on....have had the same tyres on my commuter bike (25km a day) for at least two years and they are fine...on my racing/touring bikes....think I'm coming up to a couple of thousand kms on each at the mo and they are fine too...