Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Jarman said:

\\

CAFC Luke said:

jamescafc said:

I have a Garmin 200 device for my bike - how would I hook this up to my turbo trainer as I'm guessing the sensor runs on the front wheel which is static?

Btw - anyone commute today? Punishing winds and bitterly cold in SE London. Fully winter gear today. Felt like I was pushing at 25mph and getting about 10mph in return.

Commuted today, Kept thinking there was something wrong with my bike as I was getting absolutely nowhere quick, but didn't notice the wind too much, but guess this must have been it (or is at least my excuse). The ride back should be better, but i'm worried its going to be colder than earlier! all layers, plus the neckware and hat under the helmet
    Hitting the wall- Happens to the best of em'.
    And you're right it'll be colder (not rubbing it in - I've got the ride home to look forward to also) but Keep pedaling away the summer will be here before you know it!
    Don't think I can hit the wall on an 11 miler into work, but with 4 hours sleep and breakfast at work rather than before, little of this surprises me. if you don't even attempt to get to the wall there's no way you can hit it. :)
  • Has anybody seen the new BIKE channel on SKY? It's sister channel here in Italy is very popular. It's a bit 'samey' if honest but worth a watch. I wondered how the UK version had been received. Any good?
  • It's getting cold. Could Barely feel my fingers on arrival at work today and had winter gloves on. Not sure I'm gonna last January at his rate. 3 degrees tomorrow and 17mph headwind on way in tomorrow according to BbC
  • So after the Xmas smash I've been back commuting since Weds. Shoulder will just about put up with 25-30mins riding with a rucksack.

Absolutely freezing this AM and no fun at all.

My big worry with all this is the fact that my confidence has been shot to pieces by the crash. Have turned into a proper trundler and my average speed is down by 5-6mph. I am very tense on the bike and completely paranoid about wet roads, frost, ice, white lines, turning too quickly etc etc. Hopefully it will subside but its not getting any easier at the moment.
  • It'll go Clem.
    My mate Scotty got taken out by a bus, broke his wrist and needed it pinned.
    Few months later and he was back on his bike. He was worried at first but he's back to his old self now.
  • So after the Xmas smash I've been back commuting since Weds. Shoulder will just about put up with 25-30mins riding with a rucksack.

Absolutely freezing this AM and no fun at all.

My big worry with all this is the fact that my confidence has been shot to pieces by the crash. Have turned into a proper trundler and my average speed is down by 5-6mph. I am very tense on the bike and completely paranoid about wet roads, frost, ice, white lines, turning too quickly etc etc. Hopefully it will subside but its not getting any easier at the moment.

It happens. Smashed myself to bits in roadworks in the East Lancs Road in April but was back on the bike like nothing had happened and rode Mallorca a fortnight later. However, I got taken off at relatively low speed a few months ago on a commute and was really twitchy for weeks afterwards despite not doing any lasting damage. Don't beat yourself up about it - it's only natural to be gun-shy after an off.

Definitely not the best time to be building your confidence back up at the moment though. First cold snap means roads aren't gritted properly, drivers don't take account of the change in conditions and it's still dark in the mornings/evenings.

Ease yourself back into it until the weather improves. I'm not commuting in at the moment - restricting myself to turbo/zwift - if you have a turbo, get yourself on Zwift it's a great motivator and will keep your fitness up as you work up your confidence again.
  • @Clem_Snide _ i've never been the same since coming off on a roundabout in the wet at the top of Polhill two years ago... the minute it is damp now I slow right down and I corner like a pensioner on a broken mobility scooter... Same with descending since hitting a crash barrier in the Alps a few years ago...I topped out at 95kph coming off the Izoard (sp?) in 2013...hit the barrier later that summer and now I'm always the last down, with the brake rims smoking...
  • jamescafc said:

It's getting cold. Could Barely feel my fingers on arrival at work today and had winter gloves on. Not sure I'm gonna last January at his rate. 3 degrees tomorrow and 17mph headwind on way in tomorrow according to BbC

James, get yourself some thin liner gloves and a winter buff.
  • jamescafc said:

It's getting cold. Could Barely feel my fingers on arrival at work today and had winter gloves on. Not sure I'm gonna last January at his rate. 3 degrees tomorrow and 17mph headwind on way in tomorrow according to BbC

Cheers I'll give it a go.

Apologies if I'm being stupid but I've read online and despite Zwift looking brilliant, I am still totally confused about how it works.

- I have a basic indoor trainer which connects to my rear tyre.

- I have a garmin 200 which tracks my speed / distance on outdoor commutes but don't understand how this can operate when hooked up to a trainer as I understand it calculates based on movement of front wheel?

- Ordered the ant+ dongle but seems this plugs into my laptop/Pc so how does the dongle interact with my bike - guessing via the garmin device so is the 200 suitable?

Any advice would be great!
  • jamescafc said:

jamescafc said:

Cheers I'll give it a go.

Apologies if I'm being stupid but I've read online and despite Zwift looking brilliant, I am still totally confused about how it works.

- I have a basic indoor trainer which connects to my rear tyre.

- I have a garmin 200 which tracks my speed / distance on outdoor commutes but don't understand how this can operate when hooked up to a trainer as I understand it calculates based on movement of front wheel?

- Ordered the ant+ dongle but seems this plugs into my laptop/Pc so how does the dongle interact with my bike - guessing via the garmin device so is the 200 suitable?

Any advice would be great!
    Is your trainer listed in the supported trainers list here?

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/203152565-Which-trainers-does-Zwift-support-
  • Sponsored links:

• @jamescafc you're almost there but you are missing one last piece of kit. Your Garmin is not compatible with the dongle I'm afraid. You need to buy an ANT+ cadence monitor (suggest the Garmin one, but others are available). This will attach to your back wheel and your crank, measuring how many revolutions your wheel turns as you pedal on your trainer and from that it is able to work out your speed/effort etc. It is this cadence monitor that will link to your dongle and record your effort on your laptop/zwift. Your Garmin 200 will not synch with the cadence monitor as it is not ANT+ enabled. For your indoor training your Garmin 200 will not work at all, so you can forget about it. (when you are outside, your 200 will use GPS to track your speed/distance/location - it's not about your front wheel at all). Hope that makes sense.
  • @jamescafc you're almost there but you are missing one last piece of kit. Your Garmin is not compatible with the dongle I'm afraid. You need to buy an ANT+ cadence monitor (suggest the Garmin one, but others are available). This will attach to your back wheel and your crank, measuring how many revolutions your wheel turns as you pedal on your trainer and from that it is able to work out your speed/effort etc. It is this cadence monitor that will link to your dongle and record your effort on your laptop/zwift. Your Garmin 200 will not synch with the cadence monitor as it is not ANT+ enabled. For your indoor training your Garmin 200 will not work at all, so you can forget about it. (when you are outside, your 200 will use GPS to track your speed/distance/location - it's not about your front wheel at all). Hope that makes sense.

Understood, much appreciated
  • Did anyone commute today. Was -2 when I woke up so didn't have the balls. Have heard horror stories about ice. Looks similar Tomorrow so train again for me. Checked Strava through and timeline was very busy. Some crazy bastards out there
  • I commuted today. Horrible. Skull cap, over shoes, neck wrap and double thick winter gloves. Still froze.
  • jamescafc said:

Did anyone commute today. Was -2 when I woke up so didn't have the balls. Have heard horror stories about ice. Looks similar Tomorrow so train again for me. Checked Strava through and timeline was very busy. Some crazy bastards out there

It's dry on the main roads, so provided it doesn't rain overnight and people stick to the main roads (which will all be gritted anyway) it won't be that bad. Commuted last winter up north - often in subzero temperatures. The only dicey bits are side roads or non-gritted main roads
  • Mtfu wear the right clothing and it's ok.
  • Well, happily I'm not a man.
    I'll give it a week and wait for the temp to come back to human levels.
    Until then I'll just have to add an hour worth of indoor when I get in from work.
  • edited January 2016
    cycled in this morning and wasn't too bad...did break out the 'proper' winter gloves and a neck warmer but otherwise, all ok.. am paranoid about ice but thankfully the route from westcombe park to covent garden had been thoroughly thawed out by all the exhaust fumes from the stationary traffic.... :-)
  • Came in today by bike after applying a bit of rule 5 this morning and it really wasn't too bad. Couple of precarious looking puddles which needed avoiding, but the rest of the ride wasnt bad at all. I'd take this weather with gritted roads over rain and wind any day
  • EastStand said:

Well, happily I'm not a man.
    I'll give it a week and wait for the temp to come back to human levels.
    Until then I'll just have to add an hour worth of indoor when I get in from work.

I lold :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Guess I'll have to sort myself out and get bike prepped for tomorrow then
  • jamescafc said:

@jamescafc you're almost there but you are missing one last piece of kit. Your Garmin is not compatible with the dongle I'm afraid. You need to buy an ANT+ cadence monitor (suggest the Garmin one, but others are available). This will attach to your back wheel and your crank, measuring how many revolutions your wheel turns as you pedal on your trainer and from that it is able to work out your speed/effort etc. It is this cadence monitor that will link to your dongle and record your effort on your laptop/zwift. Your Garmin 200 will not synch with the cadence monitor as it is not ANT+ enabled. For your indoor training your Garmin 200 will not work at all, so you can forget about it. (when you are outside, your 200 will use GPS to track your speed/distance/location - it's not about your front wheel at all). Hope that makes sense.

Understood, much appreciated
    I'm useless with technology so could you confirm this is what I need please?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/garmin-speed-cadence-sensor/rp-prod134821?gs=1&gclid=CIDbwPPytsoCFSoUwwodrMgNjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Yep, that'll do. You won't get accurate power readings from it, so will have to use zpower in Zwift (basically, zwift makes a guess at your speed based on the power it thinks you're putting put) - which will piss people off if you enter races - but for training it's fine. You just need to make sure you replicate your training sessions correctly (eg set the right resistance on the trainer, make sure your tyres are inflated the same each time etc)

To get the best out of zwift you really need a smart trainer or better still, a power meter - but neither of those things are exactly cheap

Whwn you get on there, if you do want to get competitive, there's a good race every Monday and Thursday night at 20.00 (just be prepared for people to abuse you if you're using zpower :smile:)
  • My iWatch clocked -4.5 this morning when I set out, -3 on the way back. Still haven't warmed up after 4 hours in the warm. Think I need to upgrade my base layers
  • jamescafc said:

My iWatch clocked -4.5 this morning when I set out, -3 on the way back. Still haven't warmed up after 4 hours in the warm. Think I need to upgrade my base layers

James. What is your usual cold weather kit? (and check your pms)
  • I bought the winter clothing pack from planet x
  • Btw thanks for offer re gloves. I'm based in bexleyheath so will PM you if in the area
  • Puncture today on way home. Pump broke too half way through repairing inner tube. Roads full of so much shit at the moment I was probably overdue one. Just installed those slime inner tubes. Hoping them along with gatorskins will see me through the remainder of winter unscathed.
  • Who will be braving the weather tomorrow?
  • Just moved back up north. 30mph winds, plus I'm racing on Zwift tomorrow night. Think I'll give it a miss!