Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Fell off my bike last weekend showing my son how to ride over beams on a MTB course - cracked my ribs and just the thought of getting on a bike is agonizing! Oh well - will be a foot of snow on the ground soon.
  • I'm starting London to Paris on the 20th July
  • Read various articles online and tried a number of the suggestions without any luck.

How do I stop my glasses steaming up when cycling?
  • Bit of washing up liquid on a cleam cloth. Wipe it in the insides, then wipe off. Nothing will completely stop it, but that will help.
  • jamescafc said:

Anyone ride/ridden with west Kent road club. About the only local club I can find who ride on Sunday's so thinking of joining this weekend.

You could try Eltham Velo, James.
    Meets Sundays at the Avery Hill Park cafe. Rides depart 9am.
    Two groups; Intermediate and Advanced.
    Club Social, Wed 11th Nov, 8pm, at the Eltham GPO pub, Passey Place, SE9

https://www.facebook.com/Eltham-Velo-1460649654157289/
  • jamescafc said:

Anyone ride/ridden with west Kent road club. About the only local club I can find who ride on Sunday's so thinking of joining this weekend.

You could try Eltham Velo, James.
    Meets Sundays at the Avery Hill Park cafe. Rides depart 9am.
    Two groups; Intermediate and Advanced.
    Club Social, Wed 11th Nov, 8pm, at the Eltham GPO pub, Passey Place, SE9

https://www.facebook.com/Eltham-Velo-1460649654157289/
    Eltham Velo was formed by a couple of my pals who broke away from LEC (Limited Edition Cycling). You could always try Sidcup Cycles who regularly have rides going out at weekends. Then there's Woolwich CC, Blackheath Velo, Seeds Cycling based at Dartford, there's a good fee to choose from!
  • Looks like a tough week ahead judging by the weather forecast.
  • Rain rain rain :(
  • Rain doesn't stop play. Wind doesn't stop play (just slows it down).
  • Sick of the rain. Seems to result in brake failure for me despite being told my brakes are in full working order. Think I'll take a look at disc breaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carbon rims?
  • That'll be why then. Always going to be more difficult to stop in the wet. I've got alu brake tracks on my race wheels - they're so fast it's like cheating, and the brake track eliminates all the doubt you get with carbon, especially on descents.

Not sure I'd ever run my nice rims on London roads in winter anyway - just asking for some chopper to go into the back of you at lights or a car to smash them up left hooking you.
  • My carbon Zipps, in the rain, coming down an Italian Alp into Cortina certainly made for an 'interesting' descent....would never use 'good' wheels for the commute though....I trundle in on my trusty mountain bike (cheers @JohnBoyUK !)
  • worst thing I ever done selling that bike. But hey, needs must at the time :)
  • Oakster said:

Anyone here use Zwift? Best fun on an indoor bike there is....

Vital over here where on Easter Friday I did my first serious mountain bike of the year - (more relaxing as the Bears are still hibernating) - and then today the roads are covered in 4" of snow....

I saw you on The Island on Strava :)

I've given it a bash at a mate's house - looks fun, but I'm sticking with Bkool and Suffer fest for indoor workouts
    Revisited Zwift since I've started training with a power meter rather than a smart trainer. Much more fun now that the power data is reliable. Are you still on there Oakster?
  • we had 60cm of snow last night - time for some fat biking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0PyQm1_6A
  • Oakster said:

Anyone here use Zwift? Best fun on an indoor bike there is....

Vital over here where on Easter Friday I did my first serious mountain bike of the year - (more relaxing as the Bears are still hibernating) - and then today the roads are covered in 4" of snow....

I saw you on The Island on Strava :)

I've given it a bash at a mate's house - looks fun, but I'm sticking with Bkool and Suffer fest for indoor workouts
    Revisited Zwift since I've started training with a power meter rather than a smart trainer. Much more fun now that the power data is reliable. Are you still on there Oakster?
    yes Leroy - but haven't set it up this season - concentrating on XC skiing - which is just about the most intense workout you can do!!
  • First commute that felt a bit chilly this morning. The weather this year is bizarre.
  • Agreed. Did three commutes last week - wore Bibshorts and short sleeves on all of them. Can't remember the last time I wore shorts in December. Also did a recovery ride on Saturday - which was done in about 15 degrees. Mental. Should have known it would be a mild winter after those headlines back in October warning of 'an Arctic chill lasting months and blanketing the country in snow until March'
  • Sponsored links:

• 42mph wind forecast for me tomorrow evening. Fortunately it's a tail wind!
  • jamescafc said:

42mph wind forecast for me tomorrow evening. Fortunately it's a tail wind!

That's cheating! :smile:

Like my commute in the morning - everyone's der Panzerwagen with a 20mph tailwind blowing them down Embankment, hanging out the back of me. Different story on the way home as they get ground into dirt one by one... and dropped like flies before Edith Grove :smiley:
  • Currently sitting at the side of the road in Wilmington waiting to be rescued. Lost an argument with a slippery road and a mini roundabout. Big big crash. Hip and thigh are fucked. Shoulder and fore arm now starting smart somewhat as well. Thank god I was wearing a helmet as my head took an almighty whack. Haven't checked the bike properly but doesn't seem too bad....:-(
  • edited December 2015
    Feel for you. Hope there's nothing serious wrong with you or the bike
  • edited December 2015

Currently sitting at the side of the road in Wilmington waiting to be rescued. Lost an argument with a slippery road and a mini roundabout. Big big crash. Hip and thigh are fucked. Shoulder and fore arm now starting smart somewhat as well. Thank god I was wearing a helmet as my head took an almighty whack. Haven't checked the bike properly but doesn't seem too bad....:-(

Ouch

Get yourself to A&E - don't just limp it off. Make sure it isn't anything more serious - you can easily end up with an ongoing problem if you bang your hip and just firm it through the pain. Also, you might have broken your collarbone - most common injury from cycling

• edited December 2015
    Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet when cycling, start wearing one. This was with a brand new Kask (exepnsive) helmet on.

Home now. Shoulder is not too bad. Felt like my hip at first but I've actually whacked my thigh. Road rash is the biggest issue.

Head, elbow, forearm, thigh and ankle. This bath is going to fecking hurt!
  • Several x-rays and much manipulation later....diagnosis is "two small marks on the tip of the humorous, probably hair line nicks. Can't be sure, can't really do anything, have a sling, take some painkillers and come back if it gets significantly worse"

Pissed off. Going to be off the bike for a while.
  • Hope you're soon on the mend Clem.
  • Several x-rays and much manipulation later....diagnosis is "two small marks on the tip of the humorous, probably hair line nicks. Can't be sure, can't really do anything, have a sling, take some painkillers and come back if it gets significantly worse"

and the bike?
  • edited December 2015
    iainment said:

Several x-rays and much manipulation later....diagnosis is "two small marks on the tip of the humorous, probably hair line nicks. Can't be sure, can't really do anything, have a sling, take some painkillers and come back if it gets significantly worse"

and the bike?
    Scrapes on both gear/brake levers which have been sorted with nail varnish! Tiny mark on saddle. Shifts clean, wheels not buckled and frame feels fine.

Basically I hit the road and the bike hit me followed by my head hitting the road.

Lucky.