Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Rode in. Not fun. Nit sure I'll be braving the return journey!
  • Had my first rides for a while this weekend after pulling my hamstring a few weeks ago. Found it hard going. Plan to commute tomorrow and Thursday this week and hopefully all week from next week.

My legs are shot today.
  • Yeah, took at look at those wind MPH and decided it was the bus for me today.
  • I have started to suffer from a lower back ache when I ride around 25 miles + in one go. I ignored it at first but it's pretty consistent.

Any ideas on what this may be? Internet research suggests I need a bike fitting but bespoke cycling at Canary Wharf are quoting me £300 so keen to avoid if possible.
  • Hamstrings need stretching some more!
  • i have just signed up for my first race - probably since Cross Country Running at School (ahem 35+ years ago).

Its not cycling though - cross country skiing! 4 person relay each doing a 12km skate ski - on my team I have Canada's most decorated, Olympic gold medallist at the sport, a crazy French biathlete who skis for fun ever day, his ultra-competitive partner & er..me. The course looks brutal its going to be hell....seemed like fun at the time of signing up, but a week of nasty man flu has wrecked my training.
  • Oakster said:

i have just signed up for my first race - probably since Cross Country Running at School (ahem 35+ years ago).

Its not cycling though - cross country skiing! 4 person relay each doing a 12km skate ski - on my team I have Canada's most decorated, Olympic gold medallist at the sport, a crazy French biathlete who skis for fun ever day, his ultra-competitive partner & er..me. The course looks brutal its going to be hell....seemed like fun at the time of signing up, but a week of nasty man flu has wrecked my training.

Ooooooh - cross country skiing is brutal. Good luck with that! Every muscle in your body is worked over
  • jamescafc said:

I have started to suffer from a lower back ache when I ride around 25 miles + in one go. I ignored it at first but it's pretty consistent.

Any ideas on what this may be? Internet research suggests I need a bike fitting but bespoke cycling at Canary Wharf are quoting me £300 so keen to avoid if possible.

There was a bloke doing 2-3 evenings a week in Sidcup Cycles a few months back. Not sure if he is still there, but might be worth a phonecall.

£300 is a ridiculous quote. Google search will find you loads of places and I sure they will be much cheaper.

• Thanks, found a chap in bexley doing it for £150. Bespoke cycling wouldn't price match but they did say the fitting is free on any bike purchased over the value of £2k. That got me thinking as quite fancy a lighter more TT based bike.

Anyone got a pair of those wireless headphones that work on Bluetooth. Saw on Facebook for £11. Seems too good to be true
  • I did the bike fitting with Bespoke last year as I was purchasing a new bike. So was happy to go with them. Been very comfortable on the bike that I got as they were able to suggest ones that would suit me and what type of riding I was going to do. So happy with them but it is a lot of money if not getting it back via some deal.

I would definitely recommend a bike fit if you can get it a price that is right for you.

Bespoke also do cheaper bike fits than the full monty one.
  • Sponsored links:

• jamescafc said:

I have started to suffer from a lower back ache when I ride around 25 miles + in one go. I ignored it at first but it's pretty consistent.

before doing that adjust your seat. Up and down, back and forward. Then the stem, too long/short?
    My theory would be the seat is a bit low.
  • jamescafc said:

before doing that adjust your seat. Up and down, back and forward. Then the stem, too long/short?
    My theory would be the seat is a bit low.
    Yes I adjusted last week actually. Came up when reading about whether the fits were worth it. My commute isn't long enough for pain to kick in so will try and do a longish run at the weekend to see if it's helped. Thanks for advice
  • Strengthen your core. Most peoples' core is far, far too underdeveloped. This is what results in lower back pain (other than historic lower back injuries and being overweight) for most people. You're probably 'leaning' on your bars rather than engaging your core properly - try leaning over as if you're on the drops, but not actually holding the bars other than very lightly. This should be difficult, but not impossible - if you find you can't hold the position for more than about five seconds, do core exercises.
  • Strengthen your core. Most peoples' core is far, far too underdeveloped. This is what results in lower back pain (other than historic lower back injuries and being overweight) for most people. You're probably 'leaning' on your bars rather than engaging your core properly - try leaning over as if you're on the drops, but not actually holding the bars other than very lightly. This should be difficult, but not impossible - if you find you can't hold the position for more than about five seconds, do core exercises.

This. There's plenty of exercises you can do at home to improve your core as long as you do them regularly. I prefer to go to classes where you are going to get pushed that bit harder than you can do for yourself. Concentrate on lower back too.

• edited February 2016
    My first month of cycling has passed and have completed 5 rides in 5 weeks training for my London to Monte Carlo charity ride in July.

It's fair to say taking on the challenge with no support or back up is taking over my life with the amount of planning and preparation involved.

Had never rode on the road before Christmas, we are now hitting 50 miles on our Sunday training ride. Heading out from Welling to Sevenoaks way, towards Ottford, Shoreham and looping round. Nice route just been very windy! As a general rule of thumb I've been told not to head out in wind over 12mph??

Doing Spin classes once a week aswell as football and a couple of weight / core sessions. Lost Around 8/9 pounds in weight and feel I'm in good shape.
    Have found it tough going in the weather, wet and bloody cold!

Doing my first sportive this weekend with Evans, a 50 miler in Gatwick area. Hoping it'll offer some challenges. Have booked up a 75 miler in March and the King of the downs 115 miler in June!

One thing I'm struggling with at the moment is how to prepare the body for 10 days consecutive cycling! Neither of us have enough research yet and the time keeps ticking away!
  • Great stuff @heavenSE7 not sure what to say about preparing your body for that long a ride...my longest is six days and by about day 4 I'm always knackered, got a sore arse and don't want to eat any more bloody carbs... What I can say is that if you've broken it down into manageable daily chunks (how far are you cycling each day?) and have got yourself reasonably fit, you'll be OK am sure. The way you're adding distance to the sportives tells me you're doing it properly too... Good luck.

(I'll be cycling the Pyrenees in June and am currently about 6kg heavier than normal at this time of year...I'm guessing I'm going to be fine on the downhills but might struggle with some of the climbing....)
  • I am getting Tannus tyres put on my bike.
    Big mistake?
  • @heavenSE7 I'm based in Welling and always struggle to find people to ride with so if you need a partner to help build up the mileage, give me a shout!
  • seth plum said:

I am getting Tannus tyres put on my bike.
    Big mistake?

I think you'll have to tell us.
  • seth plum said:

I am getting Tannus tyres put on my bike.
    Big mistake?

For a shortish commute they seem to be a reasonable option. For anything else where you want decent performance I'm not convinced yet
  • Sponsored links:

• I still only bought 1 gator tyre. It's been sat on the side all winter. The slicks have held up so far, though I noticed a small tear in the front tyre 2 days ago.

Should I buy a matching gator or 2 cheap slicks? Can't be much worse weather coming, right guys?
  • @EastStand - put decent tyres on....always worth the extra expense...
  • edited February 2016
    I have a 5 mile commute, relatively flat. Should I give the Tannus tyres a go? Since cycling to work i have had a few punctures (5, 3 were in one week). I keep my tyres at 90-100 psi as per the recommendation for my weight and the weather conditions...
  • I'm doing the Kentish Killer ride next Sunday 70 miles of just up and down topping out at 7,500 feet of climbing. Anyone else doing this or done it before?
  • Dazzler21 said:

I have a 5 mile commute, relatively flat. Should I give the Tannus tyres a go? Since cycling to work i have had a few punctures (5, 3 were in one week). I keep my tyres at 90-100 psi as per the recommendation for my weight and the weather conditions...

if that was my commute and I had a dedicated bike for it I would definitely consider it

• edited February 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

You don't get punctures with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I'd recommend them, I commute 10 miles each way and they're brilliant for London riding.
  • Got some Continental gatorskin's which have held up pretty well in central London.
    Used them almost every week day since buying them with no bother.
  • edited February 2016
    iainment said:

Dazzler21 said:

You don't get punctures with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I'd recommend them, I commute 10 miles each way and they're brilliant for London riding.
    Also ride these on my winter bike on social rides throughout Kent. Terrible roads going past farms with all sort of crap from thorns and glass etc. No issues at all and on one ride 5 others got punctures. Not me.

An absolute pain to fit the first time though and they are heavy but once you get going they give you a very pleasing sense of security.

I now presume the puncture fairy will pay me a visit when I next ride them.
  • I like the marathon plus as well. Rode them on my Commuter bike last winter Oop Norf and only had two flats in four months.

Slow as f**k though - I'm now on Specialized Armadillos and they are amazing. Bombproof and you could almost race on them
  • Only got the Garmin Edge 200 atm and it's in need of replacement.

Does anyone have the Edge 1000?