Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• @Leroy Ambrose it says to perform a spindown before every session...it took a 10 secs to do when I set it up (although getting up to speed when you can't breathe is pretty hard work!), so I have no worries doing that each time moving forwards... I don't think my power output is going to be troubling anyone any time soon though!

Zwift will really help you get your power up quickly. A couple of over/under sessions a week and your FTP will go through the roof within a month!
  • Got Apple TV tonight so was much more fun streaming it onto a proper TV rather than iPhone.

Notice the on screen displays shows my wattage and RPM which are measurements I've never had available on my Garmin before.

As I'm recovering from knee issues I've been trying to regulate avg speed to around 20-22km/h but am I better off using wattage or rpm as my main performance measurement.

Had a look online for guidance but there are so many contrasting theories.
  • edited February 2017
    jamescafc said:

Got Apple TV tonight so was much more fun streaming it onto a proper TV rather than iPhone.

Notice the on screen displays shows my wattage and RPM which are measurements I've never had available on my Garmin before.

As I'm recovering from knee issues I've been trying to regulate avg speed to around 20-22km/h but am I better off using wattage or rpm as my main performance measurement.

Had a look online for guidance but there are so many contrasting theories.

Use watts/kg - you'll see that under your name in the rider list on the right hand side. It's pretty much the only metric that matters in Zwift. Quite why it isn't one of the 'main' measurements in the small panel on the top left (speed, heart rate, watts) I've no idea.
  • Played around with Watopia last night and printed the map today (in A3 :blush: ) so that I could select the preferred course deviations.

Logged on tonight and couldn't see the option to race on that map which was a bit shit.

Did get to have a quick 15-20km round London though which was good fun.

Noticed my watts/kg averages around 1.5-2. Is that about right or do I need to be pushing harder?

Trouble is racing indoors is that I'm sweating like mad after about 5 mins
  • edited February 2017
    Ah yeah - the courses change. Almost half the time it's Watopia, the rest is split between London and Richmond. You can't 'officially' select which course you want to ride yet, but there is a neat little way for you to do it - see http://zwiftblog.com/world-tag/ for details

Re: watts/kg, it depends really. What sort of speed would you ride a flat 30km in?

Re: sweat - yep. Get a gym fan - best thing you can have when on the turbo. A big floor standing fucker too, not a silly one on a stand
  • On a good day I'd hope to average 25-30km/h.

Bought the Tacx holder @charlton charlie recommended but think there's a flaw with the Zwift app that doesn't allow you to view in portrait mode.

Have had a look about online but can't seem to find any solutions
  • Just had a look myself @jamescafc - it does appear to be an issue... Am not currently using Zwift - am using TrainerRoad....not a much fun as Zwift but it is structured, which is what I need right now... I did read that you can buy an app that will rotate Zwift and also that lots of people are asking Zwift to make the change themselves....not seen a response yet though.
  • jamescafc said:

On a good day I'd hope to average 25-30km/h.

Bought the Tacx holder @charlton charlie recommended but think there's a flaw with the Zwift app that doesn't allow you to view in portrait mode.

There's a big difference between 25 and 30km/h - on the flat, at 25km/h and 75kg, you'd probably be looking at about 2.8 w/kg, at 30 for the same weight, it would be more like 3.2
  • jamescafc said:

On a good day I'd hope to average 25-30km/h.

There's a big difference between 25 and 30km/h - on the flat, at 25km/h and 75kg, you'd probably be looking at about 2.8 w/kg, at 30 for the same weight, it would be more like 3.2
    Shit I'd better start working a bit harder then. Ordered the fan you suggested which will help. Did 30 mins inside today while FA cup was on and had to stop as the sweat was too much.
  • Haha - yeah, the sweating is murder without a fan. I used to turbo in the garage in the freezing cold before I bought a fan - still had a puddle of sweat on the floor after ten minutes. A towel within reach really helps, as do two bottles in your cages
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
    Oakster said:

Friend of mine just fell off his mountain bike and broke his spine at C5 - not looking good :(

Stay safe out there

I remember posting this - well he made a remarkable although far rrom complete recovery from what was actually a C4 fracture. The way he injured himself is pretty horrible - landed chin first with one of those helmets with an extended face guard, the guard pinned his head to the ground as the rest of his body "scorpioned" over the top of him....

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/jay-balabas-the-injury-that-inspired-the-transcr.html
  • Training crit tonight round a soulless industrial estate in Skelmersdale. Absolutely fucking baltic - first time I've felt the cold this year. Went with the A group, so a bit more powerful than I'm used to, with second cat racers amongst them. Fucked up the sprint - got conned into sitting on the front on the back straight and then got jumped on the final corner by three whippets who had twenty years on me. I fucking hate young people. Still finished fourth - and discovered I had a slow puncture. FML

Is that the Pimbo circuit? I raced the Duncan Sparrow RR on that in March this year, great little drag up towards the finish there.
    Yeah. Suits a fat old chopper like me - corners are nice and wide, and I can put power out on the drags. Didn't even know it existed until a few weeks back - will try and race there often next year as I think it suits me better than Tameside or Litherland

Who do you race for?
    I race for Dulwich Paragon but I've got a very good friend who lives on the Wirral and races for Birkenhead North End. He kindly invited me up to his for a week and let me sample some racing of the north and the mountains/very large Hills of north Wales, was a brilliant week.

I'm one of those horrible young people (20) so liked the finish at Pimbo.

If you're a fat old chopper, have you ever raced on the motor racing circuit at Aintree? I also raced the Eddie Soens RR while I was up there and the circuit is basically pan flat, super wide and non-technical, if you race it sounds like it might suit you.
    Ah - I see. For a minute there I thought I was no longer the sole member of the Lancashire Charlton Athletic Supporters And Amateur Road Racers club :)

I'll give the Soens Memorial a go next year, see how I get on. Planning on a full season next year, maybe dipping into LVRC events (you won't have to worry about those for another twenty years yet!) in amongst Gran Fondos and foreign trips. There are a lot of races up here but most of them are either crits on spiteful circuits which don't suit me, or hilly road races up in North Lancs, where I'd have to get down to the sort of weight I was a couple of years ago (and lose a lot of power). Always on the lookout for where I can get a fast, flat, wide circuit.

One of my best mates (Alec) used to race for Paragon until he smashed himself up pretty badly a few years back on a training ride - before your time I think. Funnily enough, that coincided with me taking it up - I'd never even ridden a real bike until four years ago and the last time I'd been on any sort of bike at all was my brother's BMX when I was about 12 - so my bike handling skills are pretty non-existent
    @Addickted4life - I raced the Soens on Saturday. Sketchy chopfest doesn't quite do it justice - some of the riding was horrendous. Pretty much impossible to make anything stick, but I tried anyway on the third lap - could see the elites in front and went with another lad to try and encourage a group to work hard and get on, but no-one else was interested, so dangled off the front for about half a lap before sitting up. Spent the rest of the race in the bunch avoiding being killed. Highlights included Ed Clancy cutting me up on a corner, some frube cutting inside me on consecutive corners to make up one place for no reason, a chopper screaming 'INSIIIIDE' as he promptly sailed up the outside, laughing my nuts off as Clancy got a knee warmer caught in his rear wheel, and the last lap bell seemingly being rung by Stephen Hawking, so rolling across the line with the bunch and not even realising until I rode past the flag...

Cracking circuit though - only real selecter is the 90 degree bend after the finish - dropped back to find a teammate on one lap and had a bit of a struggle getting back on, so probably not nice to be at the back of the bunch too much. 27mph average - could have been faster without the cross/headwind on the back straight. I didn't get a ride in the Duncan Sparrow yesterday - and glad I didn't. It absolutely rodded it down, races were cut short because of it and the pictures I've seen look absolutely epic. #Swimbo
  • Just got on to the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle. 180k of hilly and beautiful Ireland to do on 1 July.
    Done it before and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. A really friendly, well organised ride.
    Anyone else on here doing it?
    This year I might wear my Charlton cycling jersey. If my gut has trimmed down a tad before the ride that is.
  • Here you go - for all you cyclists out there. Easy peasy.

kottke.org/16/10/danny-macaskills-wee-day-out

But then there's the outtakes at the end!
  • Anyone off to Flanders this weekend for the tour of Flanders....Can i get the CARD taxi as a support vehicle.?
  • Yep - I'm there. Long range forecast looks surprisingly decent (though slightly annoying it isn't tomorrow, as it's 21 degrees and no wind!). Staying in Antwerp, getting fucked up after the ride then watching the start of the pro race the day after before heading back to blighty for the end of the race

Might drop in on Roly and give him my best... :smiley:
  • We are in a camper van in Antwerp. Will put my addicts cycle shirt in the window. Yep aim to be shit faced sat night as well, and bleery eyed watching pros of some sorts
  • LA great minds..
  • edited March 2017
    Beer, frites, beer, frites, some cycling, beer, frites, beer and frites. Pretty much the perfect weekend

Will look out for you - I'll be in Chorley CC kit (black, white and green)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll probably have a my Bec CC red n white strip on a titanium bike
  • The 2017 racing season commences at Herne Hill Velodrome, Burbage Road, Dulwich, this Saturday afternoon, with a meeting hosted by the 5th Floor Cycling Club.
    Racing commences at 2pm. Spectators welcome. No charge to come in. The local Canopy Brewery will be serving a range of their beers.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7wApdUWsAEqUwT.jpg

There is a party (open to all) at the velodrome tomorrow evening (Friday) to celebrate the opening of the new pavilion. Roller racing provided by Rollapaluza C.C. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7hlFqVXUAAKv8S.jpg

BBC report on refurbished pavilion: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39430584

• edited March 2017
    Is anyone doing the Fool's Errand on Sunday? http://www.widehorizons.org.uk/event/thefoolserrand/
  • They are taking registrations on the day apparently - event is in aid of a good local children's charity, that helps children gain confidence and change their lives with emphasis on helping kids from less well off backgrounds.
  • I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers
  • I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers

How much would you like to spend???

Hi there, I read a site 'road cc' I believe, and getting something decent seems between £600 to £900. I can't justify going to the higher price. I read about the own label bike that some big retailers do? Do you think they are worth the money? Say £600 on an own label or a similar amount on a branded entry level bike.
  • There's no need to spend mega-bucks. I would recommend that you have a look at Decathlon bikes. There's a branch at Surrey Quays.
    https://decathlon.co.uk/C-359113-road-bikes
    Also worth a look is the range of own-brand bikes from Planet X Cycles.
    planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes
  • Am in a campervan on the descent after the Paterberg. Will have my Charlton St George's flag so anyone wanna a beer just shout us up as have a 'few'.

Forgot to ask for my Roland Out banner back....

Hi there, I read a site 'road cc' I believe, and getting something decent seems between £600 to £900. I can't justify going to the higher price. I read about the own label bike that some big retailers do? Do you think they are worth the money? Say £600 on an own label or a similar amount on a branded entry level bike.
    You can certainly get a road bike for 600 quid, but the groupset (the bits that make the bike move) will be shite (Claris or Tiagra probably, or whatever the equivalent is for sram/campagnolo)

For that money, I'd be looking second hand at something like an entry level Giant Tcr - you can get a new model with 105 on it (amazing value groupset) for 950 quid, so picking up an almost new one should be possible for around 650/700