Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Just because I was out with a bloke from the club who was sticking to that power, though I was in his wheel most of the time so I may be slightly lower.

Just working out the spec for the new bike and seeing if I can include a power meter within my budget. Considering i've just spent best part of £200 on a new front wheel (dynamo) it's looking unlikely.

Getting it built by these guys. Going reynolds 853, probably 25c clearance with space for mudguards and rack mounts so it's a do everything bike - but with pretty racey geometry. Can't wait.
  • If you were on his wheel, you'd be saving about 20%, so about 40 watts. Took a young lad out for some interval training between Xmas and new year - at around 320 watts for 10 minutes he was putting out about 260 on my wheel. Never underestimate the draft :smiley:

Custom frames are brilliant. Are you having a fit with him, or just giving him your measurements?
  • Full fit :-)

I think this conversation has killed any idea of me going di2/Etap and putting the money into a crank based power meter instead. I will adjust the spreadsheet again...The garmin/look pedals look wicked but they're significantly more expensive than other options.
  • edited February 2017
    Oooh - nice. When I eventually get a custom frame I'm going to get a full fit on it. No point spending that amount of cash otherwise!

I personally would do the same. Can't see what benefit electronic shifting gives you over manual - although etap is nice cos no cables. You can pick up a single sided Vector for about £450 - unless you have a leg imbalance that bothers you or you really care about the pedalling dynamics stuff (no-one does really) then single sided is fine. Definitely cheaper alternatives around though - like a Stages crank
  • Ballot results for Ride London this week
  • fatrob said:

Ballot results for Ride London this week

Didn't bother this year. Club might enter, if it does I'll go down with the team, but it's a lot of ballache for not a very good event, IMHO
  • Just wanna do it to say I've done it. Looking forward to the London revolution in May more
  • fatrob said:

Just wanna do it to say I've done it. Looking forward to the London revolution in May more

Ah - don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to piss on anyone's chips!

It's just that the organisation of it is pants, and if you want to do a fast time, you pretty much have to be in wave 1 or 2. I was in wave 4 last year and even that early on there were loads of choppers and there were no decent working groups. Leith Hill is a nightmare as well - it's not even a bump really, but people were walking from about a quarter of the way up it FFS!

Agree that it probably has to be ticked off the list though - and the fast run-in from Esher was good

The Revolution is the two day event right?
  • Yeah from Lee Valley round to Windsor south side on day one then north side back round to Lee Valley on day 2
  • Missed out
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2017
    Didn't get in either.

Leroy, Gotta disagree with you in terms of the event organisation. As far as I could tell it was spot on. I can't think of a time when something that was needed wasn't provided, unless you mean the actual course organisation but even then I'm not sure what you would do to change it.

Choppers are definitely a problem though that's true and estimate times should be backed up with some rough data. Far too many people in the same wave as me who had no chance of completing in the suggested 5 hours I had
  • I've got a ballot place. guess I' ll have to train now
  • CAFC Luke said:

Didn't get in either.

Leroy, Gotta disagree with you in terms of the event organisation. As far as I could tell it was spot on. I can't think of a time when something that was needed wasn't provided, unless you mean the actual course organisation but even then I'm not sure what you would do to change it.

Choppers are definitely a problem though that's true and estimate times should be backed up with some rough data. Far too many people in the same wave as me who had no chance of completing in the suggested 5 hours I had

Yeah - and I quoted 4:15, which would have been about right if I'd got in the first two waves. Passed thousands from wave 1 & 2 as it was when finishing in around 4:30 - so there were definitely a lot of bullshitters. They should have had a broom wagon after each wave sweeping anyone up who wasn't making the time cut for their wave by the time they hit Embankment :smiley:
  • Must admit, I would never enter anything like this simply due to the fact that are too many cyclists! Commuting in each day I feel more threatened by others on bikes than I do any car/lorry etc.. At least with those vehicles they tend to be stationary and then you know the basics (don't go up the inside near a left hand turn, keep an eye on the driver, 'try' and anticipate their next move etc), but with people on bikes clogging up the bus lanes each morning, just pulling out, trying to overtake, sitting in the middle and taking all the space etc it's a wonder I ever get to work, some of them really haven't got a clue on how to ride a bike safely... The thought of being in the middle of 5,000 of them (or however many get to do this ride) fills me with fear....
  • 3 cyclists killed in 4 days.
    Anyone commuting. Be careful.
  • Always worse in winter - people don't moderate their driving to take into account the lack of light and poor weather/road conditions. Also worth noting that the first cyclist killed this week was in a hit & run and could just have easily been a pedestrian or other driver. Statistically, cycling is much safer than its ever been before, but poor road design, idiot drivers and equally idiot cyclists are not a good mix
  • Finally got a smart trainer, downloaded Zwift on phone and hooked them up via Bluetooth.

Any ideas how I can get the setup connected to my TV so I can watch on there rather than iPhone?
  • Not sure about iPhone. If you have Apple TV can you airplay it? Or a mac connected via hdmi cable
  • So, the temperature is set to rise this week. Never before have I been so affected by breathing cold air and particulates from diesel engines. Whilst it'll be good to ride in warmer temperatures, the pot-holed state of many suburban roads is a disgrace.
  • you can get a HDMI cable that plugs into your iPhone
  • Sponsored links:

• also finally set up my smart trainer @jamescafc (and am pretty sure that that was @Leroy Ambrose that gave it a like on Insta!) but am too bloody ill to use it... what one did you buy? Just bought a tablet holder for an ipad (Tacx from Halfords: best price...), so I can use Zwift/Trainer Road from the ipad rather than phone.. Nearly two weeks off the bike at the moment due to traveling and illness and I'm not happy...
  • Not totally sure I'm going to enjoy it so went for a Tacx Santori which was cheapest I could find with half decent ratings.

Got it all setup and then realised I couldn't stream the feed onto the tv which was annoying. Will try and find the lead to connect phone to TV and Apple TV seems a bit expensive.

• It was me @Charlton Charlie - bit of a pisser that you can't use it yet! You'll need them miles in your legs before the 312

Did 3 hours/65 miles on the turbo this morning cos too windy to ride up here. Gooch suffering as a result!
  • jamescafc said:

Not totally sure I'm going to enjoy it so went for a Tacx Santori which was cheapest I could find with half decent ratings.

Got it all setup and then realised I couldn't stream the feed onto the tv which was annoying. Will try and find the lead to connect phone to TV and Apple TV seems a bit expensive.

Yeah, apparently airplay is choppy anyway, so the hdmi adapter is what you need
  • also finally set up my smart trainer @jamescafc (and am pretty sure that that was @Leroy Ambrose that gave it a like on Insta!) but am too bloody ill to use it... what one did you buy? Just bought a tablet holder for an ipad (Tacx from Halfords: best price...), so I can use Zwift/Trainer Road from the ipad rather than phone.. Nearly two weeks off the bike at the moment due to traveling and illness and I'm not happy...

KICKR if you're who I think you are on Instagram.

Saw one setup in Bespoke Cycling at Canary Wharf. Guy told me they're used by Team Sky too.
  • yep, that's me then @jamescafc: went from a CycleOps to a KICKR....my mates who have them love them...after 10 years or so, I thought I'd upgrade..
  • The Kickr is supposed to be the best of the bunch for accuracy (Elite Drivo notwithstanding) - but it does require regular calibration with a 'spin-down' - otherwise it starts over-reading power, which pissed a lot of people off in races. No way to 'game' a power meter once you've calibrated it, it stays calibrated! Just something to bear in mind if you've been using it a while and start to see your power numbers drift upwards, it may not be all it seems - you might not be getting faster as quick as you think :smiley:

I'd be really keen to have a go on it though, as I 'd be able to sprint - can't do that on a BKool, so all sessions/races are basically massively painful TTs :)
  • @Leroy Ambrose it says to perform a spindown before every session...it took a 10 secs to do when I set it up (although getting up to speed when you can't breathe is pretty hard work!), so I have no worries doing that each time moving forwards... I don't think my power output is going to be troubling anyone any time soon though!
  • Finally got Zwift setup and linked to Strava.

Not convinced my changes in effort on the bike are reflected in the on screen figures but will play around with it all when I get more time tomorrow.

Looking forward to entering some of the scheduled races on there
  • jamescafc said:

Finally got Zwift setup and linked to Strava.

Not convinced my changes in effort on the bike are reflected in the on screen figures but will play around with it all when I get more time tomorrow.

Looking forward to entering some of the scheduled races on there

You'll love the racing. Well, actually, you'll hate it - but you know what I mean :smiley:

The Satori is reasonably accurate, but tends to over-read a bit, so you'll get a boost in the races!