Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Crud Mk3s FTMFW

Raceblades didn't even fit my Synapse, let alone my Venge. Crud Mk2s were much better - still not great on the Venge, but perfect on the Synapse. Mk3s fit EVERYTHING. They use a great velcro-like (it's not velcro, but I don't know what else to call it) fitting system that means you don't have to fuck around fitting them to calipers and skewers. They look a little bit 'weird' when on, and the rider behind you doesn't get as much protection as they would with raceblade longs, but your front feet don't get drenched, they offer very good protection from spray up the back of your legs/bum and any rider that doesn't like getting sprayed should get on the front and do a turn anyway :smiley:
  • JohnBoyUK said:

rina said:

condor

JohnBoyUK said:

I feel your pain @EastStand.

I've literally had 5 months of doing absolutely nothing. While I was training for the London Marathon, I was suffering from what I thought was sore hip flexors. Managed to get through the training and the marathon but by mile 16, I was in so much pain I was popping Ibuprofen like M&Ms.

Gave it 2 weeks of proper rest afterwards, tried to run again but I was in agony within 50 yards. I went to the US on Honeymoon for 3.5 weeks, came back and same thing. I went to see my physio and he diagnosed it as hip joint at first. Done some strengthening exercises and it made no difference. Went back to see him then he diagnosed a suspected hernia. Had an ultrasound and the doctor who done it confirmed. I dont do hospitals, I dont do blood and I certainly dont do being cut open so had to go see a hypnotherapist for a few weeks to give me the balls to go see the surgeon.

Saw the surgeon last week and after a good prodding around my groin, he isnt convinced its a hernia. Its either a tear in the groin muscle which would have repaired itself to a degree or a variety of what is called Gilmour's Groin. Had to have a MRI scan on Wednesday and have to go see him again next week.

5 bloody months. I've been running 130-140 miles a month for the last 3.5 years with minimal issue and now I cant even run across the road to the other side.

Sadly, it appears to flair up when I've been riding gently on the turbo. I'm on the verge of losing my mind. Every single bit of fitness I'd built up over 5-6 years has disappeared into the ether.

Since laying in the scanner, both my hips have been very uncomfortable which is weird. The radiographer had me holding my breath and tensing my abs for various images so god knows what is actually wrong with me.

that sucks, would've been much simpler if it was a hernia

mine was confirmed as a double hernia, having an op on the right hand side on Monday week, leaving the left hand side for now as it's tiny
    MRI results back. No hernia but he tells me there is a small, minute lump on both sides but shouldn't be affecting anything for now. He's convinced I tore part of my groin muscle but its self-repaired itself. So he's given me the all clear to resume some kind of training, avoiding long distance running.

Sounds great in theory. Went for a gentle two-mile run at the start of last week. It felt reasonably ok but by the time I'd got back, I was aware of it. It doesn't hurt but I'm aware of it if that makes sense. Same with being back on the turbo trainer. Same on the rower. Same just by walking on the treadmill. I'm also aware my hips feel sore now. Not good at all.

Helpfully, the surgeon reminded me that most professional athlete's retire early-to-mid 30s and I really shouldn't expect to be doing anything ridiculous like running marathons at 40+. Just what I wanted to hear. I'd like to exercise without discomfort. I worked so hard to get fit and now its fading away. I'm not going to give up though. I'll do what I can but I fear my running days are properly over now unfortunately.
    Feel your pain. Everyday something else hurts at the moment. Back, knees, shoulder, shins, ankles. Think I'm over training and have ramped up my mileage on the bike too quickly. Am just trying to ride it out at the moment, but may have to scale things back.

Have you thought about swimming? Might be a way of re-adjusting your body to exercise without the impact issues running causes?
    I'm slowly recovering from a knee injury that the physio said was caused by overuse so will be interested to hear how you get on.

Just back to commuting full time (35km p/day) but after a few setbacks, it seems by knee can't cope with my more than that.

Gutting when you see people you used to ride with going out for 50+ runs at the weekend
  • Jaysus that were cold today. Club ride took us up spiteful hills all day long - below freezing at the top of a couple of then. Had to bin one of the hills off as it starts with a 25-28% ramp for the first 200 metres - wheels were spinning all over the place. I'm choosing the route next week. It'll be an 80 mile chaingang with about 200 feet of elevation to get my own back...
  • edited November 2016

Training crit tonight round a soulless industrial estate in Skelmersdale. Absolutely fucking baltic - first time I've felt the cold this year. Went with the A group, so a bit more powerful than I'm used to, with second cat racers amongst them. Fucked up the sprint - got conned into sitting on the front on the back straight and then got jumped on the final corner by three whippets who had twenty years on me. I fucking hate young people. Still finished fourth - and discovered I had a slow puncture. FML

Is that the Pimbo circuit? I raced the Duncan Sparrow RR on that in March this year, great little drag up towards the finish there.
    Yeah. Suits a fat old chopper like me - corners are nice and wide, and I can put power out on the drags. Didn't even know it existed until a few weeks back - will try and race there often next year as I think it suits me better than Tameside or Litherland

Who do you race for?
    I race for Dulwich Paragon but I've got a very good friend who lives on the Wirral and races for Birkenhead North End. He kindly invited me up to his for a week and let me sample some racing of the north and the mountains/very large Hills of north Wales, was a brilliant week.

I'm one of those horrible young people (20) so liked the finish at Pimbo.

If you're a fat old chopper, have you ever raced on the motor racing circuit at Aintree? I also raced the Eddie Soens RR while I was up there and the circuit is basically pan flat, super wide and non-technical, if you race it sounds like it might suit you.
  • Training crit tonight round a soulless industrial estate in Skelmersdale. Absolutely fucking baltic - first time I've felt the cold this year. Went with the A group, so a bit more powerful than I'm used to, with second cat racers amongst them. Fucked up the sprint - got conned into sitting on the front on the back straight and then got jumped on the final corner by three whippets who had twenty years on me. I fucking hate young people. Still finished fourth - and discovered I had a slow puncture. FML

Is that the Pimbo circuit? I raced the Duncan Sparrow RR on that in March this year, great little drag up towards the finish there.
    Yeah. Suits a fat old chopper like me - corners are nice and wide, and I can put power out on the drags. Didn't even know it existed until a few weeks back - will try and race there often next year as I think it suits me better than Tameside or Litherland

Who do you race for?
    I race for Dulwich Paragon but I've got a very good friend who lives on the Wirral and races for Birkenhead North End. He kindly invited me up to his for a week and let me sample some racing of the north and the mountains/very large Hills of north Wales, was a brilliant week.

I'm one of those horrible young people (20) so liked the finish at Pimbo.

If you're a fat old chopper, have you ever raced on the motor racing circuit at Aintree? I also raced the Eddie Soens RR while I was up there and the circuit is basically pan flat, super wide and non-technical, if you race it sounds like it might suit you.
    Ah - I see. For a minute there I thought I was no longer the sole member of the Lancashire Charlton Athletic Supporters And Amateur Road Racers club :)

I'll give the Soens Memorial a go next year, see how I get on. Planning on a full season next year, maybe dipping into LVRC events (you won't have to worry about those for another twenty years yet!) in amongst Gran Fondos and foreign trips. There are a lot of races up here but most of them are either crits on spiteful circuits which don't suit me, or hilly road races up in North Lancs, where I'd have to get down to the sort of weight I was a couple of years ago (and lose a lot of power). Always on the lookout for where I can get a fast, flat, wide circuit.

One of my best mates (Alec) used to race for Paragon until he smashed himself up pretty badly a few years back on a training ride - before your time I think. Funnily enough, that coincided with me taking it up - I'd never even ridden a real bike until four years ago and the last time I'd been on any sort of bike at all was my brother's BMX when I was about 12 - so my bike handling skills are pretty non-existent
  • Well that was an eventful ride him. Pretty much torrential rain for 18km of which much was spent with me trying to work out whether I'm better off with steamed up glasses or without and rain blowing into my eyes.
  • jamescafc said:

Well that was an eventful ride him. Pretty much torrential rain for 18km of which much was spent with me trying to work out whether I'm better off with steamed up glasses or without and rain blowing into my eyes.

I usually wear Oakley Radars no matter whether its day or night. I just swap out for the clear lenses that have got the cut outs for airflow in the corners. Ultimately, they protect your eyes from any road debris, especially in the autumn/winter months.

They have never steamed up on me but you'll usually find that a lot of the heat is down to wearing a cheap helmet. When I started, I had a cheap helmet and I had an awful lot of problems with sweat running down my face and into my eyes. I swapped it for a top of the range Kask helmet and it stopped. The heat evaporates more from the top of your head, keeping you a lot cooler. Might be worth considering, especially in the summer months.
  • +1 for good helmets - had a Uvex Race 5 that was great until I totalled it in a crash, since then had an S-Works Evade which is even better. Stick a cap on under your helmet and you'll hardly ever have sweat get in your eyes again. You're ALWAYS better off with glasses, even if they fog up - if you've ever had a bit of grit fly up and hit you in the eye at 50mph on a descent you'll know why!

You could try some of that fancy bike visor stuff they sell for motorbike visors/hockey visors, but a bit of washing up liquid rubbed in onto the lenses is just as good.
  • Struggled with exactly the same last night in the rain. My glasses are perfect in the dry daylight, can manage in wet daylight/dry nighttime, but wet night time was too much for them. It meant riding home last night with them off, and having to squint.

Also agree regarding helmets, as the last couple i have had have been excellent at stopping water falling on my face. However last night was too much for it, and the dried up sweat in the helmet decided to come out in the rainwater, and drip across my face into my mouth. Absolutely grim. So anyone had much experience of cleaning the inside padding of a helmet before?
  • Yes. I have
    a) Removed all the velcroed-on pads and washed them, gently, in soapy water (then replaced them, once dry) and
    b) Have, on occasion, washed the whole thing - pads, strapping, helmet - in luke-warm, soapy water. For good measure, I added a drop of lavender essential oil to the pads, once dried out. Yummy.

I always ride with a cotton cap under my helmet, irrespective of time of year. (Wash your cap regularly...keeps inside of helmet clean). On colder rides, I use a 'Buff' or a 'skull-cap' under my cap.

Winter cometh...Capes on. Duchatelet out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just got my hands on a new old fuji track. Going to be on fixed as much as possible over winter. Can't wait.
  • CAFC Luke said:

Struggled with exactly the same last night in the rain. My glasses are perfect in the dry daylight, can manage in wet daylight/dry nighttime, but wet night time was too much for them. It meant riding home last night with them off, and having to squint.

Also agree regarding helmets, as the last couple i have had have been excellent at stopping water falling on my face. However last night was too much for it, and the dried up sweat in the helmet decided to come out in the rainwater, and drip across my face into my mouth. Absolutely grim. So anyone had much experience of cleaning the inside padding of a helmet before?

Scroll back a bit I asked the same question and there are some great answers. And a video!
  • edited November 2016
    JohnBoyUK said:

jamescafc said:

Well that was an eventful ride him. Pretty much torrential rain for 18km of which much was spent with me trying to work out whether I'm better off with steamed up glasses or without and rain blowing into my eyes.

I usually wear Oakley Radars no matter whether its day or night. I just swap out for the clear lenses that have got the cut outs for airflow in the corners. Ultimately, they protect your eyes from any road debris, especially in the autumn/winter months.

They have never steamed up on me but you'll usually find that a lot of the heat is down to wearing a cheap helmet. When I started, I had a cheap helmet and I had an awful lot of problems with sweat running down my face and into my eyes. I swapped it for a top of the range Kask helmet and it stopped. The heat evaporates more from the top of your head, keeping you a lot cooler. Might be worth considering, especially in the summer months.
    Thanks mate. Black Friday next week so looks like I could be a busy man.

Haven't been riding for long so suspect it's a combination of cheap glasses and helmet. Will see if I can upgrade both.
  • https://paria.cc/
    http://www.morvelo.com/

I've had a good shop at these two today. Lovely stuff!
  • https://paria.cc/

Lovely stuff until I saw the prices :neutral:
  • jamescafc said:

https://paria.cc/

Lovely stuff until I saw the prices :neutral:
    look at last years stuff at Paria.
  • If anyone's splashing the cash for black Friday the Morvelo stuff is real quality. The Paria is nice with some edgy designs.
    I got 20% off Morvelo as a first time purchaser by just signing up with them.
  • Currently having serious struggles with my knee. Its a really odd one. I can ride with little or no pain but afterwards it is seizing up. The pain is largely in the rear of the knee and occasionally on the inside. Also getting some discomfort and tightening in my shin when the knee seizes.

Anyone had anything similar? I have a history with this knee and have no ACL and minimal cartliage - however, I know the pain that gives and this is different.

Got London to Paris in 8 months are am starting to worry about keeping the training on track.
  • Try adjusting the float in your cleats if you use them.
  • I got some good news this week. Had my first physio appointment and was cleared to ride - apparently because I was never referred to physio when my injury was fresh (well done Lewisham outpatient doctor you tw*t) my right calf muscle is on the brink of seizing up.

I've got to do 4 hydro therapy sessions before they can even start tackling the ankle. But cycling should help loosen my calf and I've been given the green light. Gonna see if I can get some of my stamina back before Christmas :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Currently having serious struggles with my knee. Its a really odd one. I can ride with little or no pain but afterwards it is seizing up. The pain is largely in the rear of the knee and occasionally on the inside. Also getting some discomfort and tightening in my shin when the knee seizes.

Anyone had anything similar? I have a history with this knee and have no ACL and minimal cartliage - however, I know the pain that gives and this is different.

Got London to Paris in 8 months are am starting to worry about keeping the training on track.

My knee problem last year only flared up after rides as well - so I can sympathise with this and know how frustrating it is. The suggestion of looking at your cleat position is a good one - also look at the amount of float in them. Some knee injuries require a greater or lesser amount of float in the cleats - you could see a physio and see what they suggest

Also, try pedalling at a higher cadence if you generally push a bigger gear slowly. Made a bug difference to me when I upped my cadence from around 80rpm to 90rpm. Far less punishing on the knees, and works your cardiovascular system more than your musculoskeletal one - you can recover quicker from high intensity cardio bursts than muscular ones
  • Clem, sounds like it could be a bit of tendonitis.

400mg of Ibuprofen 3 times a day for 7 days will sort it out short term. A physio would tell you to lay off the bike for a week too, to enable to anti-inflammatory properties to build up in your system. Long term, may be worth investing in a bike fit.

The DIY method. you may just have your saddle a little bit too low. If you've got a turbo, set the bike up on it, get on the bike and then get someone to take a picture of you from side on and from behind. I'm sure one of us would be able to put you right. You should just about be able to touch the floor with your toes when sitting on the bike. If you've got more than toes, it's likely you're too low and that'll be putting pressure on your knees as your legs will be cycling out to in. A tip I was given, try and keep both knees as close to the top tube as you can whenever you're riding. It'll make you more aero and it'll stop and cross pedalling and make your pedal stroke more efficient.

Charlton Charlie told me my saddle was too low and it changed my ride altogether.

Also, cant stress this enough. Get yourself a foam roller and massage your legs. Especially the calves, the quads, the hamstrings and the ITB.

I had a similar problem a good few years back now and it was down to my outer quad overpowering the inner quad (the tear drop shaped muscle). Some isolation exercises in the gym over 3-4 weeks sorted it out and haven't had any issues since.

• As John says about keeping you knees in and try and make a circular motion when you pedal as opposed to push and pull (not as easy as it sounds)
  • Thanks all, having done some reading I had "self-diagnosed" tendonitus.

Don't think the issue is my cleats, been riding these for months and the float is set exactly the same as my old set up and I have only had issues in the last week or so.

I suspect the saddle is a little low - my bike is a Cannondale and their frames come up big, so the temptation is not to raise the saddle too much.

Had a couple of 50 milers planned for tomorrow and Sunday but am going to have a weekend off. It has settled down a bit today, so hopefully moving in the right direction.

The shin tightness/discomfort is disconcerting to say the least as it feels detached from what is going on in my knee, but can't be as it only flares up when the knee givea me grief.

If raising the saddle fails I'll go for a bike fit.

@Leroy Ambrose I am definitely someone who pushes slowly in a bigger gear, I hate coming off the big ring on the front, but will try your suggestion.
  • I'm going to put up a picture of my new socks,
    those of a delicate disposition should look away now,
  • tum tum te tum
  • Now that was chilly this morning. Toes like ice by the time I got to work. Time to get my winter gear out.
  • Anyone use sufferfest videos? Just got myself a trainer....
  • olster said:

Anyone use sufferfest videos? Just got myself a trainer....

Used them a couple of years ago. They didn't really work for me, but I knew nothing about training with a power meter then. Now I know my power zones, they'd probably be OK - but I'm using Zwift and Trainer Road now as I find the workouts are better on TR, and the racing on Zwift keeps me competitive. What trainer did you get? If it's a smart trainer, you can get a power reading from it and get on Zwift - massive motivational tool throigh the winter