Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• I'm away. Pity, that looks a nice ride.
  • Man aged 105 years sets new cycling Hour record.
    bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38510439
  • Just a reminder on Sunday it's the West Kent Road Club Reliable Trial

http://wkrc.org.uk/west-kent-rc-reliability-trial/
  • Vulpine.cc
    Sale on at the moment, lovely socks £2 a pair and freepost!
  • Anyone go out this weekend? Was out both days - Sat, fine but a bit icey. Sunday was absolutely horrific, took me all afternoon to warm up.
  • Saturday went out and dragged some of my club round on a 'social' ride - 30k/h into a 25k/h headwind. :smiley:

The tiddlers got their own back though, smashing my fat arse all the way over Beacon Fell trying to keep up with them.
    I hate skinny people.
    And young people.
    And young skinny people are the worst.

Didnt get out at all yesterday, was decorating.

Commuted today and did a bit at lunchtime, still need to make up training time this week
  • olster said:

Anyone go out this weekend? Was out both days - Sat, fine but a bit icey. Sunday was absolutely horrific, took me all afternoon to warm up.

Didn't go out either day. Too hungover on Saturday and couldn't face the rain on Sunday. Heading out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully Saturday and Sunday this weekend.
  • Here's this year's Racing Calendar at Herne Hill Velodrome.
    hernehillvelodrome.com/racing-calendar/

I'm a regular attendee at 'The Hill'. If you haven't been before, it's well worth a visit. The address is Burbage Road, Dulwich. The events are free to watch, there is a small cafe and, at some bigger events, a 'pop-up' bar - often provided by the local Canopy Brewery.

Herne Hill Velodrome: Turning left since 1891.
    hernehillvelodrome.com/

• Here's this year's Racing Calendar at Herne Hill Velodrome.
    hernehillvelodrome.com/racing-calendar/

I'm a regular attendee at 'The Hill'. If you haven't been before, it's well worth a visit. The address is Burbage Road, Dulwich. The events are free to watch, there is a small cafe and, at some bigger events, a 'pop-up' bar - often provided by the local Canopy Brewery.

Herne Hill Velodrome: Turning left since 1891.
    hernehillvelodrome.com/

Moving back to London beginning of March so I'll be down at some point. Great place.

There's a regular cycle jumble there too I think?
  • edited January 2017
    Yes, there is. I've had some bargains there over the years.
    It would be good to meet up with fellow Addicks at HHV. Being an outdoor venue, meetings are dependent on the weather. Let's discuss this further, on CL, as Spring approaches.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Anna_Kissed keen. And there must now be enough of us for a ride out at some point.
  • edited January 2017
    Gents & Ladies,

I'm by no means a Lycra warrior but I do pootle to work by bike on occasion.
    On the way home tonight I had a rear puncture and being in the middle of nowhere I may have ridden on it a bit in an effort to get home....
    I'm now at a train station with lighting and can see I've bust 3 spokes limping here....that's bad right?
    Does that mean new wheel or can the magic man in the shop just fix it up again?
  • edited January 2017
    Fumbluff said:

Gents & Ladies,

On the way home tonight I had a rear puncture and being in the middle of nowhere I may have ridden on it a bit in an effort to get home....
    I'm now at a train station with lighting and can see I've bust 3 spokes limping here....that's bad right?

3 spokes should be an easy fix. Fitting the new spokes and to true the wheel will probably cost £15 - £20. The issue will be whether riding on a flat has damaged the rim as well. If it has you may as well get a new wheel. New wheel isn't that costly assuming you are buying a bog standard one.
  • Fumbluff said:

Gents & Ladies,

3 spokes should be an easy fix. Fit the new spokes and the true the wheel probably cost £15 - £20. The issue will be whether riding on a flat has damaged the rin as well. If it has you may as well get a new wheel. New wheel isn't that costly assuming you are buying a big standard one.
    Agree with that. If you've ridden on it enough to break three spokes (and that didn't happen when you got the puncture - unlikely, since you'll have had to hit a pothole pretty hard to ping three spokes) then your rim will most likely be chewed up at least enough to cause repeated punctures. You can check it out yourself - remove the tyre and run your fingers carefully round the rim. I say carefully, because if there are rough edges to it you can cut your fingers pretty badly if you spin it fast. If there are rough bits on the rim,get a new wheel because it will only cause you ballache
  • I've seen a bike I might buy and need a bit of input.
    It's a 2016 Tour de Fer, reduced from 899 to 719 as it's a display model. It's been in their window display for about 3 months to last week.
    I'm 6'2" and it's a L. Ideally I'd be an XL but I'm kind of on the cusp.
    I can get it on the Cyclescheme for about £45 pm. I'm taking my pedals in tomorrow to give it a test ride.
    Is it worth getting a bike that is at it's edge for me to ride. Or should I look for something else.
    And is it easy to sell second hand bikes if I buy this one? As I have a 2 year old Diverge I'd have to sell if I get the Tour de Fer.
    Thanks in anticipation.
  • Cheers @Clem_Snide and @Leroy Ambrose , think I'll take the thing to the shop in Orpington, it's just a canondale hybrid so hopefully new wheel, tyre & tube won't hurt too much :unamused:
  • iainment said:

I've seen a bike I might buy and need a bit of input.
    It's a 2016 Tour de Fer, reduced from 899 to 719 as it's a display model. It's been in their window display for about 3 months to last week.
    I can get it on the Cyclescheme for about £45 pm. I'm taking my pedals in tomorrow to give it a test ride.
    Is it worth getting a bike that is at it's edge for me to ride. Or should I look for something else.
    And is it easy to sell second hand bikes if I buy this one? As I have a 2 year old Diverge I'd have to sell if I get the Tour de Fer.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Lots of retailers don't honour discounts if you are paying by Cyclescheme. They will cite "admin costs" as the reason why, probably worth checking. I personally would buy a bike that is only just the right size, but you can make a decision based on a test ride.

In terms of selling I've sold on Ebay in the past and privately, all depends how much you want. In both instances I wanted to move the bike on quickly and as such I knocked about £30 - £50 off the true value.

Will the shop take your old bike as a part-ex?
  • iainment said:

I've seen a bike I might buy and need a bit of input.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Lots of retailers don't honour discounts if you are paying by Cyclescheme. They will cite "admin costs" as the reason why, probably worth checking. I personally would buy a bike that is only just the right size, but you can make a decision based on a test ride.

In terms of selling I've sold on Ebay in the past and privately, all depends how much you want. In both instances I wanted to move the bike on quickly and as such I knocked about £30 - £50 off the true value.

Will the shop take your old bike as a part-ex?
    No the price is ok although they wouldn't give the usual 10% Hackney Council staff discount on top!
    They won't take my old bike.
    My only issue really is the size. And apparently I fall right in area where both L and XL fit me. So the test ride will tell me.
    It is a lovely bike, just right for me in so many ways. It's a world tourer, triple front rings, fitted with mudguards and flat bars. Potentially the bike to see me out.
  • A name to watch for this season, just been signed by Sean Kelly's AnPostCRC is Dan Gardner. He's only 20 years old and quite a talented cyclist already, having just spent a season with Astellas in the USa.

He's the son of a former colleague of Mrs. MaM's, a decent bloke, so we'll be following them this season.

Comes from Sussex.

• In the market for a smart trainer so I can join the Zwift community but don't fancy spending a fortune. Any recommendations?
  • Sponsored links:

• What's your budget? If you have a trainer already, it's better to get a power meter so you can train with it in meatspace
  • edited February 2017
    Loosely connected to the above post, I've been doing some number crunching to check where my training is at the moment. Since I started training with a power meter, every metric you measure yourself by as a cyclist has increased. My FTP (the power you can hold for an hour) has increased from 247 to 315 watts, my 5s, 30s, 1 minute, 5 minute and 20 minute power have all increased by more than 20%, my average heart rate during intensity efforts is down about 8-10% and my resting heart rate is down to 41, whilst my max heart rate is now higher than it ever has been

I know there are some of you who take cycling a bit seriously - if you are remotely interested in improving, then get a power meter and Andrew Coggan/Hunter Allen's book
  • edited February 2017
    Yup. I can well believe all that.
    Before injury, I made good use of a Heart Rate Monitor. In the absence of a 'Ramp Test' - to ascertain maximum heart rate (MHR) - one can't be exacting (and, in any case, to find one's 'true' MHR requires more than one test). I've never undergone a Ramp Test. I used medical data (age, fitness, weight, etc) to decide 'upper' and 'lower' training zones, and went out riding. It was immediately apparent how frequently one goes out of one's chosen training zone. The idea is that you up your game when you're slacking, and ease off if you're in 'the red' and become fitter and more efficient. As I say, HRMs are not exacting but, whilst a Power Meter is generally accepted as being the more accurate (and effective?) tool, a HRM can assist with one's fitness. Post-injury (chronic) I now ride on 'feel' and enjoy the ride where I can.
  • edited February 2017
    how long have you been using a power meter for @Leroy Ambrose ? Ive just bought myself a Kick'r but it's still in it's box and I'm using 'approx power' on my Cyclops paired with Trainer Road... I can;t make up my mind whether to open the box or send it back and stick with my current set up.... You're in vastly superior shape to me...I had most of the last 5 months off and got back on the bike on 1st Jan with an all time low FTP of 189...one month later it's at 214...if I can push it on another 10-15% before Mallorca312 I'll be happy...if I don't, I'll be struggling come April....
  • Just over a year now. Had it a bit longer than that, but it was unreliable when I first got it, sorted out with a firmware issue and crank change.

I'd use the kickr - it's more accurate than the cycleops would be since its a 'real' power output rather than an estimated one.

That FTP progress is fine - your underlying bike fitness will still be there because of your base miles. It'll be the cardio that takes time to get back up. It's certainly not unrealistic to expect another 40/50 watt gain before the 312 - but don't overdo it and make sure you have rest weeks where you knock off the intensity & distance. Also, don't break your wrist three weeks before the 312 and ride it anyway, like I did. Turned what should have been a lovely ride into an arduous, pain-filled slog!
  • What's your budget? If you have a trainer already, it's better to get a power meter so you can train with it in meatspace

What's your budget? If you have a trainer already, it's better to get a power meter so you can train with it in meatspace

Budget is £2-400
  • You can pick up a second hand stages or rotor crank power meter for that. Don't let the fact it's second hand put you off - power meters last yonks, and lots of people either upgrade or stop using them when they realise it's still hard work training :)

Failing that, I think you can get new Stages cranks for a little more - around £480-£500
  • @jamescafc or, you can buy a Wahoo Kick'r SNAP for that....which is meant to be OK, if all you want to do is ride on Zwift....
  • Went on a speed ride the other day @230-240 Watts. Blew up after about an hour. Therefore, by that scientific measurement that's my FTP.

I need to sort a power meter, I'm getting in the miles at the moment, but know that my time could be better spent with more strucutred work.

Just decided on my new bike though, which has taken a lot of brain power/time over the past few weeks. Decided against a Synapse @Leroy Ambrose - going for an old school, custom made steel frame. Yes it's going to be heavier but the longevity/repairability/practicality/fitting me like a glove and having something more unique all sway it for me. Haven't decided on a paint scheme yet though...
  • TBF, that's not a bad way of getting your baseline, but without a power meter, how do you know what the watts were?

Main problem with an hour test is that it's subject to a lot of variables, whereas three 20 minute tests don't over 6 weeks will iron most of those out.

Who you getting your frame made by? A mate has a couple of Pegorettis - they're absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't ever race on steel, but I fully intend getting a steel tourer when I'm too old to go fast