Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Mike Hall, ultracyclist, legend and organiser of the TCR has died in a crash during the ipwr race in Australia.

Absolutely devastated the man was a real hero of mine.
  • Mine too. Was avidly following him and Allegaert racing neck and neck round Australia. Devastated.

RIP
  • I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers

How much would you like to spend???
    Hi there, I read a site 'road cc' I believe, and getting something decent seems between £600 to £900. I can't justify going to the higher price. I read about the own label bike that some big retailers do? Do you think they are worth the money? Say £600 on an own label or a similar amount on a branded entry level bike.
    You can certainly get a road bike for 600 quid, but the groupset (the bits that make the bike move) will be shite (Claris or Tiagra probably, or whatever the equivalent is for sram/campagnolo)

For that money, I'd be looking second hand at something like an entry level Giant Tcr - you can get a new model with 105 on it (amazing value groupset) for 950 quid, so picking up an almost new one should be possible for around 650/700
    Or pay entry level money for an entry level bike first, then if you REALLY enjoy it you can consider spending more in 12 months.

Don't risk burning £600 - £900 on a first bike.

I'm glad I only spent £250 second hand. It's an Orbea Line with Mavic cxp wheels and came with an elite magnetic turbo trainer. This genuinely means nothing to me but is apparently good.

It is certainly quick enough - I hit 35mph in my first ride with no hills to thank and averaged 19mph average across the total journey. (It was only a brief test 10 miler in rush hour)

As I said I got it all for £250.00.

It still seems to be working perfectly, despite only being used 5/6 times in that first year!

I plan to get out more this summer.

• RIP to Mr Hall, despite not knowing who he is, 35 is no age to die.
  • RIP Mike Hall. Legend.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers

Hi there, I read a site 'road cc' I believe, and getting something decent seems between £600 to £900. I can't justify going to the higher price. I read about the own label bike that some big retailers do? Do you think they are worth the money? Say £600 on an own label or a similar amount on a branded entry level bike.
    You can certainly get a road bike for 600 quid, but the groupset (the bits that make the bike move) will be shite (Claris or Tiagra probably, or whatever the equivalent is for sram/campagnolo)

For that money, I'd be looking second hand at something like an entry level Giant Tcr - you can get a new model with 105 on it (amazing value groupset) for 950 quid, so picking up an almost new one should be possible for around 650/700
    Or pay entry level money for an entry level bike first, then if you REALLY enjoy it you can consider spending more in 12 months.

I'm glad I only spent £250 second hand. It's an Orbea Line with Mavic cxp wheels and came with an elite magnetic turbo trainer. This genuinely means nothing to me but is apparently good.

It is certainly quick enough - I hit 35mph in my first ride with no hills to thank and averaged 19mph average across the total journey. (It was only a brief test 10 miler in rush hour)

It still seems to be working perfectly, despite only being used 5/6 times in that first year!

If you enjoy it on a budget bike think Cyclescheme if your employer does it. A good tax free way to get a bike.
  • Still feeling it out personally but I definitely recommend a cycle scheme once decided if you're into it.

Personally I don't like the sore gooch from even short rides (10 miles+ on a road saddle.

I think I may try and invest in one with comfort in the name and get some new shorts to go with it!
  • Talking of Shorts , can anyone recommend a pair of comfortable Bib Shorts( don't want to go mad on the price £50) , I only have to spend a week off the bike and my Arse is a ring of fire .
  • I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers

I read this thread occasionally but don't currently ride a road bike. Thing is, I'm thinking of joining the mamils and getting a road bike. I'm sure everyone has their own personal favourites but is there anything I should definitely look for or spend money to avoid when looking around? I won't get it right first time but having ridden on a really decent bike on the road in south of France whilst on holiday it was an epiphany after only ever having a mountain bike. Any advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I'll need to look into the groupset more carefully than I currently have been. Cheers
  • There's no need to spend mega-bucks. I would recommend that you have a look at Decathlon bikes. There's a branch at Surrey Quays.
    https://decathlon.co.uk/C-359113-road-bikes
    Also worth a look is the range of own-brand bikes from Planet X Cycles.
    planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes

There's no need to spend mega-bucks. I would recommend that you have a look at Decathlon bikes. There's a branch at Surrey Quays.

Thanks for that. Decathlon have a well priced one with a 105 groupset (I'm learning already)! But is out of stock (wonder why). I'll visit store and see.
    Thanks for advice.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's no need to spend mega-bucks. I would recommend that you have a look at Decathlon bikes. There's a branch at Surrey Quays.

There's no need to spend mega-bucks. I would recommend that you have a look at Decathlon bikes. There's a branch at Surrey Quays.

Thanks for that. Decathlon have a well priced one with a 105 groupset (I'm learning already)! But is out of stock (wonder why). I'll visit store and see.
    Thanks for advice.
    Try Merlincycles.com.
  • edited April 2017
    I watched some splendid racing at Herne Hill Velodrome this afternoon, sitting in the new pavilion.

I'm sorry to learn of the death of Mike Hall.
  • F1 popped in to say, hi and yr Son said u was down the pub lol
  • LA agree nothing worse than getting kin soaked for two hours.... Cattle trucked of Charlton......In the sq now watching the team presentations.
  • edited April 2017
    Nice off today......

Hadn't noticed I'd lost a couple of screws from the fixing plate on my Speedplay Cleats. 3rd one came loose, tried to unclip and the whole cleat spun! Before I knew it I was over and tumbling down a 5-6ft embankment!

Bike undamaged, sore shoulder, lost a filling and the tip of my little finger on my left hand has gone numb!

Was 11 miles from home and had to effectively cover that on one leg as only my right foot could clip in.

Got off lightly I reckon.
  • Cycling to Paris this weekend and kind of haven't got around to doing any training whatsoever... other than some long distance running recently.

How much trouble am I in? Any tips to minimise pain?

Itinerary is 75 miles, 69 miles, 59 miles over the 3 days.
  • Plenty of chamois creme would be my first suggestion. You're arse isn't ready for this.
  • Plenty of chamois creme would be my first suggestion. You're arse isn't ready for this.

Any particular one? Going into Evans to get my cleats sorted (part of the bottom 'clippy bit' came off on my last ride back in October) so will pick some up if you reckon it'll help?

No doubt I'll still be walking like John Wayne, but if it makes it 10% better... that's worth a few quid.
  • I use Assos but I'm sure everyone on here has their own favorite. It really will help prevent any chafing.

One thing that helps me, assuming your not racing against the clock, is to just stop a couple of times to stretch.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'll be fine, London to Paris is nothing too trenuous. Physically, you'll be fine as long as you keep on eating and drinking.

Plenty of chamois creme would be my first suggestion. You're arse isn't ready for this.

+1 to this. All day long. Slap it on all over the undercarriage liberally.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Never thought I'd say this (as a former bike snob), but the best value bikes by far come from Decathlon. Their Triban series bikes are amazing value and have, over the last year or so, started garnering excellent reviews, and even Bike of the Year awards.
    If you're looking for a starter bike, I don't see why you'd look anywhere else. Even if looking for a mid range bike I'd recommend them.
    Have a look at their website.
    I bought one for my 11 year old and he's more than happy with it. And work colleagues who have them swear by them.

I have a Condor Leggero (my office is 100 yards or so from their shop) and an Enigma Étape all rounder/winter bike.

I'm currently in Gran Canaria. Picking up Synapse hire bike tomorrow.
    I'm almost dreading it because I've not done much cycling since November :-(
  • JohnBoyUK said:

You'll be fine, London to Paris is nothing too trenuous. Physically, you'll be fine as long as you keep on eating and drinking.

Plenty of chamois creme would be my first suggestion. You're arse isn't ready for this.

Chamois creme (Assos) ordered, hope it does the trick. Cheers chaps.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

You'll be fine, London to Paris is nothing too trenuous. Physically, you'll be fine as long as you keep on eating and drinking.

A tube of Savlon isn't a bad idea, just in case.
  • Did 345k yesterday on a London Orbital ride. Great, very very long, ride. Rode with a TCR vet, and spent the day learning as much as I could about do's/don'ts and talking about his memories of Mike Hall. Whatever decision is taken about the TCR this year and going forward will be the right one.

@Anna_Kissed popped in to HH on sat. New grandstand looks great, looking forward to days watching racing in the sun and cracking on with my accredidation too.
  • edited April 2017
    olster said:

Mike Hall, ultracyclist, legend and organiser of the TCR has died in a crash during the ipwr race in Australia.

R I P .. such a sad way to go .. with increased and ever quicker traffic on the roads worldwide, it seems that cycling is getting ever more dangerous when mixed in with powered vehicles
  • JamesSeed said:

JohnBoyUK said:

A tube of Savlon isn't a bad idea, just in case.
    Sudocrem is the best for rashes.
  • I use Assos as well - it's great. One application yesterday and I was fine for 240km of cobbles, started out soaking wet as well (nothing deadens the effect of a chamois cream more than soaked chamois). Also second sudocrem for chafing if you start to get it - a little bit on your gooch eases the soreness and helps heal it quicker
  • olster said:

Mike Hall, ultracyclist, legend and organiser of the TCR has died in a crash during the ipwr race in Australia.

R I P .. such a sad way to go .. with increased and ever quicker traffic on the roads worldwide, it seems that cycling is getting ever more dangerous when mixed in with powered vehicles
    Nope. Cycling is far, far safer than it used to be. Exponentially more journeys now made by bike than ten years ago, number of KSIs have not risen in lockstep with this increase. With an ultracycling event there are often a lot more factors that increase the risk of KSIs - not the least of which are that lots of them take place partly in darkness, they are often on very busy highways as it's faster to use these than less busy roads, the riders are often extremely fatigued and more prone to drift across lanes and they're simply on the road for longer so more statistically likely to be the victim of an accident. It's a horrible way for anyone to go, but at least Mike was doing what he loved when he went. RIP to a true legend, and inspiration for thousands, if not millions of people across the world.
  • olster said:

Did 345k yesterday on a London Orbital ride. Great, very very long, ride. Rode with a TCR vet, and spent the day learning as much as I could about do's/don'ts and talking about his memories of Mike Hall. Whatever decision is taken about the TCR this year and going forward will be the right one.

@Anna_Kissed popped in to HH on sat. New grandstand looks great, looking forward to days watching racing in the sun and cracking on with my accredidation too.

Hat!

That's a hell of a lot of mileage. If you're looking for something of similar stature in the spirit of the randonee, have a look at Chase The Sun. Starts on Sheppey (don't worry, you'll leave it as the sun is rising, so won't have to encounter any of the locals) and ends in Burnham - idea being to do it before the sun goes down. Almost bang on 200 miles and a cracking day in the saddle