Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey

Comments

• I shall be at Wembley on Thursday. I'm not convinced Shelvey is good enough for the national side but I hope he proves me wrong.
  • delighted to see him and delph in the same england squad. They were both 16 year olds playing in league one and have risen to the highest level.

Congrats jonjo! Now nail down that place!

As have Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lambert, Forster and even Townsend.
    Makes Grey Dykes idea not seem as bad as we all thought...
  • Does Ryan Shawcross deserve a call-up as well maybe?
  • delighted to see him and delph in the same england squad. They were both 16 year olds playing in league one and have risen to the highest level.

Why? Did Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lambert, Forster and even Townsend come through Premier League B teams?

Why? Did Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Lambert, Forster and even Townsend come through Premier League B teams?
    Wonder if the OP means that all of those players... inc. Shelvey.. Delph.. (even Joe Hart) have played League One Football or lower in their careers

Wonder if the OP means that all of those players... inc. Shelvey.. Delph.. (even Joe Hart) have played League One Football or lower in their careers
    Yes, they have, but for proper football clubs, not a glorified reserve side. Surely, if anything, it goes against Dyke's plans for 'B' teams, i.e. football clubs in the lower leagues are clearly quite capable of producing good, young, English talent - it's the Premier League clubs that struggle.
    Thats the thing... When Jonjo Shelvey played in League One he was guided by the experience of Christian Dailly and Deon Burton whilst Southampton's kids had Kelvin Davis.. Chris Perry and Graeme Murty, all players who have been around the top Divisions and have experience which they can pass down and can be just as valuable as getting First-Team action for a youngster.

Should the B Teams get into the lower leagues then I doubt they'd have Senior figures to help them and with the sort of challenges some players can receive they'll most likely get scared and drop out of the game because they wont like being roughed up and wont have anyone to put an arm around them to keep them going whilst a match is in progress
  • Remind Uncle about the golf swing celebration!
  • masicat said:

Good luck Jonjo. I remain often he opinion with the right development he will become something very special. If someone like Wenger would take a punt he would end up a england captain. IMO.

I've predicted several times on here that he will captain England so like so many others I'm pleased and proud he's taken a step closer.

• Does Ryan Shawcross deserve a call-up as well maybe?

Yes, no idea why he keeps being left out, when you consider how weak we are in that position
  • Sponsored links:

• Hodgson intimating the Shelvey didn't want to play for the U-21's

Why even mention that?
    Remember David Bentley getting pelters from the wembley crowd after refusing to play for U21's or England B
  • I'd probably refuse to play for Gareth Southgate as well.
  • MrOneLung said:

Hodgson intimating the Shelvey didn't want to play for the U-21's

Why even mention that?
    Remember David Bentley getting pelters from the wembley crowd after refusing to play for U21's or England B

well, considering jonjo's 22 i think it would be quite difficult for him to play u21 football...
  • Not this squad - previous squads.
  • edited October 2014
    Plus, the U21s are allowed some overage players.

It was a joke
  • Watching him now against Everton, in a Czech pub. Exuding class.
  • Deserves a starting place
  • Garry Monk isn't too pleased with him:

Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has been told to "wise up" by manager Garry Monk, who says he will not tolerate the 22-year-old's "laziness" any more.
    The ex-Liverpool player was substituted after an hour of the 1-0 win over Aston Villa on Boxing Day following his seventh yellow card of the season.
    Monk, whose side travel to Liverpool in the Premier League on Monday, says Shelvey has to "learn very quickly".
    "I have spoken to him a number of times," he said.
    "We can't afford silly bookings and it cost him being on the pitch against Villa because any slight mistimed tackle could have been a red card.
    "Jonjo has to wise up because that yellow card came from laziness and he has to be better than that."

This season he was booked five times in the Premier League by the end of October and was sent off at Everton in November after being shown two more yellow cards.
    "It is about doing your job properly and responsibly, understanding the role you are playing, not just for yourself but for the team," Monk said.
    "He has to learn this, otherwise he won't play games. We can't afford silly mistakes because we have already been punished for those this season and I can't allow that any more."
  • Sponsored links:

• Well he has made that clear enough!
  • Monk must have the hump. I would have thought its normal not to say things to the media like that.
  • Yeah you get the impression Monk has said something to him in person and it hasn't worked so this is a sort of final warning to him, shape up or ship out.
  • Well done Monk.
  • I don't think Jonjo is bright enough to make the most of his natural ability.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I don't think Jonjo is bright enough to make the most of his natural ability.

uncle attack in 5, 4, 3...
    You beat me to it !
  • Ha I know, it's inevitable. But that's why I haven't posted that comment before. I figured, I'm not going to be bullied out of saying it. I don't mean to offend though. Just what I think. I'd say the same of Konchesky. He has good technique but poor decision making.
  • Shelvey always wants to play the glory ball even when a simpler pass is better, as you say poor decision making.
  • Agree with all the above about decision making and the rest but this is something that can be worked on and I still think he is going to end up a top top player.. still very young..