Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shelvey

Comments

• Options
    His best position would be left back.......in the dressing room.
  • Options
    If you did not know better you would think he had played like that on purpose.
    That would be a way of getting back at Monk.
  • Options
    Not very professional though, surely the better way would be to have an outstanding game.

If he's looking to get a move then how impressed would other clubs be?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Not very professional though, surely the better way would be to have an outstanding game.

If he's looking to get a move then how impressed would other clubs be?

Agreed. The thing is you never know whats in this blokes head. Not much, I would imagine.
  • Options
    Saw something I'd never seen from shelvey last night. An air of almost disinterest.
    He would always be alert, wanting and virtually demanding the ball. But this was nowhere to be seen.
    I think monk punished him by making him play the full 90 minutes. Body language suggested jonjo just didn't want to be out there. I can see a spell on the bench or a change of scenery coming up.
    Imo he's always had an edgy side to his game, first seen with us at orient then (to my 25/1 delight but probably harsh decision) for the bin dippers against Man Utd. After monks comments I was surprised he started last night. I couldn't find a shelvey red card market but would've been all over it.
  • Options
    I agree with that.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I'd have him back tomorrow. He's only a baby in football terms. Not sure how a boy from a council estate can be a spoilt brat but dear old Curtis loves the moral high horse

Amazing what a couple of years at £10k a week can do to you huh
  • Options
    watched it just because he was playing. In first half he let their mid field run past him half a dozen times. No way Monk missed that happening as L/Pool nearly scored twice. I thought he had to be subbed at half time, but it seemed to me he was moved further up the pitch. Britton seemed to be the guy who was charged with doing the covering work. Maybe it was JJ doing a "feck u boss" u want me to listen to you ill do that 100% , i stay exactly where you told me"----------JJ didnt even break into a trot first half and over the 90 mins never once tracked a runner------he knew what he was doing.

Hope he isnt Palarse bound
  • Options
    Watched the game in the pub last night. Not the best of nights for Jonjo. Always a place for him back in our side whenever he wants.
  • Options

Watched the game in the pub last night. Not the best of nights for Jonjo. Always a place for him back in our side whenever he wants.

Yes we want some lazy arsed glory boy who plays for himself and not the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dunno why you're all overreacting, he still got on the score sheet didn't he?
  • Options

Saw something I'd never seen from shelvey last night. An air of almost disinterest.
    He would always be alert, wanting and virtually demanding the ball. But this was nowhere to be seen.
    I think monk punished him by making him play the full 90 minutes. Body language suggested jonjo just didn't want to be out there. I can see a spell on the bench or a change of scenery coming up.
    Imo he's always had an edgy side to his game, first seen with us at orient then (to my 25/1 delight but probably harsh decision) for the bin dippers against Man Utd. After monks comments I was surprised he started last night. I couldn't find a shelvey red card market but would've been all over it.

Hard to keep motivated when your team conceded 4, you scored and own goal and you are aware of the possibility you could be banned for an elbow especially after your manager has come out and criticised your discipline recently. I think we sometimes forget that footballers aren't robots and as such will suffer mentally at times.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Halix said:

I was always a bit split about Jonjo. There's obviously a real talent but I could never see how he fitted into the team, he wasn't a striker, he wasn't reliable enough in central mid because he would sometimes play the wrong ball or make an unnecessary foul and when he played on the wing he could cross but couldn't take on players.

I think his best position would probably be free ranging just behind the strikers, which makes him a bit of a luxury player, as someone has to cover for him or you play with a striker less. Whenever he played for us I always felt that we had to compromise the team structure to accommodate him in it, which was why I wasn't overly upset when he left as we got good money and I thought he could develop more in a team that could afford to get a better mix of players around him.

It was said by many at the time including Parky that he was a b it of a luxury player that we couldn't get all the other players to work with Jonjo's game.

We tried to build a team around him and Jonjo still didn't fit.

I hope he can get his head right, as he along with Jenkinson and Poyet are the biggest chances of Charlton Youth playing regularly at a decent level and potentially getting regular England spots in the future.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Hard to keep motivated when your team conceded 4, you scored and own goal and you are aware of the possibility you could be banned for an elbow especially after your manager has come out and criticised your discipline recently. I think we sometimes forget that footballers aren't robots and as such will suffer mentally at times.
    He looked disinterested well before they reached 4. If you know you're gonna be banned you should give everything in this match seeing as though you'll be missing a few soon.
  • Options
    I think it's Uncle's over protective way of launching an attack at people who have criticised JJ in the past.

It's understandable to a degree, but football fans always are Marmite on players. They love or hate, giving praise or spite filled comments.

It is a bit annoying the way they are goading a comment from Uncle when Uncle comes on here still even though he is a West Ham fan, to chat to and update fans of JJ's original parent club.
  • Options

It's the goading of uncle smudge not the pleasure of a poor game for shelvey

He showed more class than any recent player by signing his contract ensuring that we got dough for him when he had numerous offers that would have meant we got fuck all

Shame the Internet tough guys say things here rather than to uncles face when offered the opportunity too, but then when your a coward it's easier to hide behind a screen

It was only a few weeks back the SKY pundits were saying what a quality player he is/can be.

From where I sit I see a player who has the ability to be the driving force of the team - technically gifted, strong, great eye for a pass, great weight of pass.

The sad thing is that he hasn't established himself in that role and that is a loss for everybody - including England. Maybe, as others have said, he's a bit volatile, bit of a loose cannon but every time I've seen him interviewed he seems a very down to earth, regular guy.

Let's hope he does achieve his clearly considerable potential, especially at International level.
  • Options
    The Shelvey elbow was daft but overall you could hardly blame him for the loss, he started slowly but got more into the game as it went on.

Bottom line was that at 1-0 Liverpool were running out of steam but then the keeper makes a howler and it's 2-0.

The own goal was unlucky, could happen to anyone, and the Lallana goal (for which I presume Shelvey is being criticised) was unstoppable once Coutinho played that superb flick, it basically took the Swansea midfielders out of the game.
  • Options

It's the goading of uncle smudge not the pleasure of a poor game for shelvey

He showed more class than any recent player by signing his contract ensuring that we got dough for him when he had numerous offers that would have meant we got fuck all

Shame the Internet tough guys say things here rather than to uncles face when offered the opportunity too, but then when your a coward it's easier to hide behind a screen

I think Jonjo Shelvey is a bit dim and won't improve as a footballer to be much better than he currently is. I don't think I'm tough, but then again I don't see any reason why I have to meet up with 'Uncle' to tell him directly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Football is all about opinions so why should you be threatened just because you have a different point of view?

Could be that uncle has a blinkered view and thinks that Jonjo is marvellous whatever he does, sure we have all met people like that.
  • Options
    Uncle is related to JJ (obviously) it isnt unheard of for people to be protective of their kin----opinions on footballers vary but slatting his personality and IQ bring it back into defending a relative and yes possibly confrontation.

I still think his body language in the first half (he always wanted the ball) but never broke into a trot was saying to Monk "look im right where you told me to be doing 100% what you told me to do" even if that let L/Pool walk past him. Im 100% their is an England player in JJ but something isnt right in his head at the moment.
  • Options

Uncle is related to JJ (obviously) it isnt unheard of for people to be protective of their kin----opinions on footballers vary but slatting his personality and IQ bring it back into defending a relative and yes possibly confrontation.

I don't see why there's a line drawn there. If the criticism is relevant, which it clearly is. There are plenty of opinions on personalities on this site. Take the Pardew threads; are you going to accept it if a relative of Pardew knocks on your door because you called him a prick? Is that not far worse than stating a player is limited by his (lack of) nous?
  • Options

What was reams banned for again? This forum has really gone done the toilet in recent years.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

What was reams banned for again? This forum has really gone done the toilet in recent years.
    The Forum? Really? There are others around if this one is so toilet... Or are you hoping it'll come 'good' again?
  • Options
    I think Swansea should sell him back to us for an undisclosed fee
  • Options
    Talal said:

colthe3rd said:

He looked disinterested well before they reached 4. If you know you're gonna be banned you should give everything in this match seeing as though you'll be missing a few soon.
    True but it's all very well saying that but another with what the mind will actually allow you to do.
  • Options
    JJ just has to grow up. Seen it time and time again with young players and they end up going one of two ways. I'm sure he's the type of lad who will heed the wise words of those close to him and get his career back on track.

However he will need to learn to curb his tendency to lash out and to do more when his side hasn't got the ball.
  • Options
    I wonder if some of this is down the outside life. Consider - grew up in Romford, at the age when many are settling into a first job he is moving 200 miles away to one of the most famous football clubs on the planet. For whatever reason that doesn't work and so he moves again to Wales. And gets married to a minor celebrity and, this March, had a baby (thanks Wikipedia for all this by the way, have not been stalking). So at 22 he is a dad living in a foreign country (sort of) and having his work criticised by his boss in national media.

I know they earn fortunes but one has to hope the pastoral care is up to the job.