Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shelvey

Comments

• se9addick said:

Just scored an own goal too !

Don't slag jj off. hahahaha
  • I guess that's what happens when you play a former club, you either are inspired, or dire..
  • seriously seems to go crazy when he plays liverpool. Really hope he isn't shipped off to the nigels
  • I have never been so wrong about a player. I now think we got top dollar.
  • This isn't about Shelvey but Lallana, who has been excellent, gets a standing ovation when substituted but doesn't applaud the crowd. Just a little thing that would irritate slightly as a fan.
  • if Shelvey does face action surely Sterling should do as well
  • if Shelvey does face action surely Sterling should do as well

Technically yes, but one was dangerous the other wasn't.
  • If the defender hits the floor then Sterling gets sent off.
  • Is there a video of the Shelvy elbow ? I missed it
  • Sponsored links:

• Assaulted the linesman as well..
  • se9addick said:

Is there a video of the Shelvy elbow ? I missed it

• edited December 2014
    Cheers - Both a bit naughty, will probably be getting bans
  • The Shelvey one was potentially more dangerous, as he had no idea which hard part of the arm might connect, whereas Sterling's was more of cuff
  • Frustrated at Skrtel's attempts to tackle him, former Liverpool midfielder Shelvey threw his arm back into the face of his opponent in full view of referee Andre Marriner.
    To the amazement of Sky pundits Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, who said it merited a red card, Marriner did not take any action against Shelvey, despite Can reeling in agony from the impact.
    Carragher said the episode showed why Shelvey was sold by Liverpool, saying the player's lack of discipline undermined his chances of fulfilling his talent. Carragher claimed Shelvey was guilty of equally ill-disciplined episodes "two to three times a week" in training during their time together at Liverpool.
  • I'd have him back.

.....and at this rate we might just get him!
  • Jonjo with the ball and Jonjo without the ball are two totally different players. He's still young but he has to work hard on the defensive side of his game if he is to ever reach the very top.

Genuinely surprised that so many have jumped on the bandwagon after Monks comments too (not just on Charltonlife) - there's still a very good player in there in my view.
  • buckshee said:

Pot seems to think the kettle is very black.
  • buckshee said:

Pot seems to think the kettle is very black.
    Racist
    ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd have him back tomorrow. He's only a baby in football terms. Not sure how a boy from a council estate can be a spoilt brat but dear old Curtis loves the moral high horse
  • I still think that he'll come good. Shelvey's going to click sometime soon and when he does he'll be a top player
  • edited December 2014
    I think it's showing now that he's clearly not going to be a top player, e.g. Gerrard/Scholes quality. More like Andy Reid/Danny Murphy: great ability but with a few key elements missing from his game.

People say he's young but look at what top midfielders are/were doing at 22. He's nowhere near.
  • One of my housemates was at school with him but a year younger, he said and this is all quotations.. Jonjo was a proper arsehole even back then... He was the biggest guy in the year and caused a lot of problems.. He had a group made up of the biggest guys and they would openly bully beat up and just abuse smaller kids. The teachers did nothing about him coz he played for Charlton... He barely went to lessons and just caused problems.. He made some people's lives he'll but the teachers did nothing about it... apparently one time he caused a mini riot in the school...

Not sure how this is relevant but it shows he's got a bit of an attitude or whatever...
  • Know a guy who played against him a few times at lower levels. He said Shelvey would flip about anything, very easy to get him going. Looks like he hasn't learnt much.
  • Carter said:

I'd have him back tomorrow. He's only a baby in football terms. Not sure how a boy from a council estate can be a spoilt brat but dear old Curtis loves the moral high horse

Very very easily.
  • I know a guy who knows him, He said he's alright.

• I know someone who's mate's cousin had a piano teacher that went for a beer with him a couple of years ago. Said he was a right prick apparently ... :-)
  • Whether he is a prick outside of football or not is immaterial, the fact that he acted like a prick tonight on the pitch is what people should be looking at, the elbow, the lack of tracking back, the lazy tackling and to top it all off the own goal, his stock is dropping rapidly and he needs to work out what he wants from his career
  • edited December 2014
    I was always a bit split about Jonjo. There's obviously a real talent but I could never see how he fitted into the team, he wasn't a striker, he wasn't reliable enough in central mid because he would sometimes play the wrong ball or make an unnecessary foul and when he played on the wing he could cross but couldn't take on players.

I think his best position would probably be free ranging just behind the strikers, which makes him a bit of a luxury player, as someone has to cover for him or you play with a striker less. Whenever he played for us I always felt that we had to compromise the team structure to accommodate him in it, which was why I wasn't overly upset when he left as we got good money and I thought he could develop more in a team that could afford to get a better mix of players around him.