Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luis Suarez - 'Chomping at the bit'

Comments

• bobmunro said:

At least he didn't bite his opponents penis, or rip off his opponent's ear lobe or finger with his teeth! Which apparently happens regularly in rugby.

Ill give you that. But then i think Rugby is a wrongen's sport anyway.
    As an ex-rugby player I give you:

Football is a game for gentlemen, played by thugs.
    Rugby is a game for thugs, played by gentlemen.
    Yeah that used to apply

It's now
    Rugby is a game watched by Gentleman and Thugs but Played by Thugs.
    Football is a game watched by Thugs and Gentleman but Played by Thugs and Gentleman

• SamB09 said:

something wrong in his head that he's done that. It's obvious that the amount of times its happened over a spread period and under such intense pressure playing a football match that his brain just flips some kind of switch and he does that kind of thing. I don't even believe its a conscious decision for him to do it, it just kind of happens. Like particular breeds of dog can be sweet and normal but under a special set of circumstances and chemical balance in their brains they just go and bite people.

Agreed.
    I disagree. I think it's very much a conscious decision, especially last night. In my view he targets the shoulder deliberately, because the natural reflex is to swing your arm round to shake him off - at which point he can go down like a sack of spuds and claim he's been elbowed, trying to get his opponent red-carded. They were desperate to win last night, and his bite came at 0-0.

The mad thing is that he seems to think he's invisible and no-one's going to see it.

Reminds me of a story about Pele, who apparently used to wind up his opponents after a foul by squeezing their ear really hard but making it look like he was just caressing their face in apology. It's all about gamesmanship, but a bite is quite a different thing altogether.
  • Biting is a very odd thing to do in football. Has there ever been another professional player do this!?
    He might get those goofy teeth knocked out next season...

That said, I agree with the sentiment of Leuth's post with regards to punishment.
  • Funny it is a day after his father in law said it was time for him to move to Spain. Probably just knocked 40m off his value making him affordable for barca.

Surely it wasn't a plan......
  • bobmunro said:

At least he didn't bite his opponents penis, or rip off his opponent's ear lobe or finger with his teeth! Which apparently happens regularly in rugby.

Yeah theres nothing like saying thanks when a 6ft 5' goon has a chunk of your ear hanging out his mouth
  • edited June 2014
    byl said:

not only the english - it's the headline news in belgium and holland as well and i guess at least in itally too;)

Headline news in the U.S. too. Lots of disparaging remarks about our sport by those who don't understand it. If anyone doubts that this imbecile doesn't bring disrepute to our game should hear some of the news readers here.

• bobmunro said:

Yeah theres nothing like saying thanks when a 6ft 5' goon has a chunk of your ear hanging out his mouth
    Yes - and the 6'5" goon will have the good grace to spit it out before saying 'you're welcome' as it is bad manners to talk with your mouth full.
  • edited June 2014
    There's no doubt that Suarez is a recidivist and his actions were those of a guttersnipe, but the levels of pious indignation and hyperbole - potentially life - threatening. ..prolly (sic) the same people who let their kids/c@#! s do what they like - by the majority of people on here show show an abject lack of perspective.

You want 'disgusting' and 'ban him for life' behaviour?

Roy Keane ending Alfie Haaland's career. Remorse? Not an iota; the reverse, in fact.

Does it excuse Suarez? No, but his victim has a red mark on his shoulder, Keane's is, apparently, still haunted by his experience to this day.

Suarez is a recidivist and a guttersnipe to boot, but no - one's career has been ended and no - one's been hurt, however, he has provided manna from heaven for the media and self- righteously indignant.

• It's all over the news here in China, too. We've been talking about it even more than the game itself. I'm sure most of us would agree that it's absolutely outrageous and he should be banned from this tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2014
    Less the act itself and more the complete lack of shame and unrepentant repetition of the behaviour.

He's been hit with hefty bans for it before. He's still doing it. Whether or not it's some deep psychological thing or just the actions of a pr*ck looking to get ahead, he has to be dealt with in a severe manner. Because if he's not, you can guarantee it's going to happen again.
  • The fella doesn't show enough discipline or respect , he's a twunt and deserves a ban and Roy Keane was twunted off at the time of his actions by many as well
    Differing types of wrongdoing don't excuse one another
  • bylbyl
    edited June 2014
    fifa posted this on their website
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=disciplinary-proceedings-opened-against-luis-suarez-2384766.html

guess that will be the end of suarez for at least the remainder of the world cup
  • Less the act itself and more the complete of shame and unrepentant repetition of the behaviour.

He's been hit with heft bans for it before. He's still doing it. Whether or not it's some deep psychological thing or just the actions of a pr*ck looking to get ahead he has to be dealt with in a severe manner. Because if he's not, you can guarantee it's going to happen again.

That's exactly it. Once you could possibly consider as a one-off moment of madness, but three times? No. And there is no reason to think he will never do it again, and in fact it seems more likely than not that he will - it seems to be habitual by now.
  • edited June 2014
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Yes - and the 6'5" goon will have the good grace to spit it out before saying 'you're welcome' as it is bad manners to talk with your mouth full.
    Is that before or after him and his mates de-bag you, insert a variety of vegetables up your arris and make you drink a pint of piss?
  • byl said:

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=disciplinary-proceedings-opened-against-luis-suarez-2384766.html

guess that will be the end of suarez for at least the remainder of the world cup

They'll probably adjourn until after Uruguay are knocked out.

• Biting is a very odd thing to do in football. Has there ever been another professional player do this!?

That said, I agree with the sentiment of Leuth's post with regards to punishment.

Defoe on Mascherano
  • Dazzler21 said:

Biting is a very odd thing to do in football. Has there ever been another professional player do this!?

Defoe on Mascherano
    Don't remember that one. Was he caught by the ref?
  • edited June 2014

Dazzler21 said:

Biting is a very odd thing to do in football. Has there ever been another professional player do this!?

Defoe on Mascherano
    Don't remember that one. Was he caught by the ref?
    Let off with only a yellow as the ref didn't miss it:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/oct/24/newsstory.sport7

Picture of Suarez's last bite and Defoes here:
    http://soccerisma.com/2013/04/suarez-bite-vs-defoe-bite-and-the-punishment/

• Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Is that before or after him and his mates de-bag you, insert a variety of vegetables up your arris and make you drink a pint of piss?
    During
  • bobmunro said:

Nice quote, shame it's utter bollocks.

Can't disagree with you there!!
  • byl said:

well, one of the links above that is Social Responsibility so now we will see how seriously they take that.

• Watching the game my immediate reaction was, "the Bucky c-nt just bit him". When Gorgio pulled his shirt down it was obvious the ref couldn't get away fast enough in an attempt to maintain deniability. The Urugayan players trying to pull the shirt back up made it pretty clear they knew what went on. I found it amazing that the itv commentators were saying Chiellini was a disgrace for trying to get Suarez in trouble, but they are fu-k idiots, I suppose. I find it equally amazing that Lugano made a statement saying that the mark must have already been there. Come on. He had an existing bite shaped scar ready to frame poor Luis. I know it's a Partizan game but wrong is wrong, I'm confident FIFA will hit him with a 20 game international ban. Interesting point raised by Turnip Taylor this morning though is, if he's not allowed to play at international level because he's too dangerous, how can he play for a club? Maybe a time based ban from all football would be the right thing. We shall see.
  • This whole sorry incident has thrown up some interesting points. Firstly, dishonesty in the game has reached a point where Lugano can accuse Chiellini of having a pre-planted bite mark – which incidently he expertly managed to place on Suarez’s mouth. The fact is, in this particular case it won’t help, but this sort of nonsense happens too often in football – honour and respect are no longer things that the game promotes. Instead it promotes an ethos that it is ok to cheat as it is all part of the game!

Anyway, the reason Suarez won’t get away with it is that the world game still has some remnants of standards. What he did was dirty and disgusting and even the foreign apologists for bad behaviour – apart from the Uruguayans still find it hard to accept. IN a wider sense, I look at a tournament where young lads watch stars like Suarez with admiration. That many of their heros are cheating dirty nasty people disturbs me and for that reason alone I would like to see a moral wave enter the game. We have the means to clean it up – it is called video evidence. I would have banned Fred for 3 games for his dive in the very first game. We have had to suffer cheats too long - If you win a game by cheating and suffer no sanction it sends the message that cheating gives you an edge.

But, what I found most interesting, is that in a desperate attempt to defend themselves, the Uruguayans chose to blame the British. I think this re-enforces the point that the world game is biased against us. They thought, by blaming us, they would get empathy with FIFA. Desperate and pathetic, but also very telling. Football is still the Beautiful game, but it is in the wrong hands. A competition like the world cup should be a celebration of football and good sportsmanship – it hasn’t been that for far too long.
  • Those who aren't bothered by Suarez, how many people would you let him bite before banning him for life? It's odds on that FIFA won't do anything to piss off the Uruguayans though.

I wonder what would have happened if the Italians had rallied round their man and walked off the pitch.

When they were a man down, 0-0 and desperately timewasting to progress? Surprised they didn't think of that now.
  • If Suarez was English, he would have been immediately sent home - we may be rubbish, but there is one aspect where we are better than a lot of international sides. It could be argued that Sturridge's failure to make a meal of an elbow to the neck cost us a place in the next round. How many other players in this tournament wouldn't have gone down like they had been mortally wounded? Better not to win, if you can't win fairly though. What upsets me is that the majority of counties do not subscribe to that. I commented after the Brazil v Croatia game, that I would be embaressed if England won a game in that way. And Scholari gesturing for a card every 5 minutes was obsene!
  • I like Gus Poyet, so don't think otherwise. However, he said at the start of the tournament, that Uruguayans, would pretty much do anything to win a game. Winning is all that matters. So there's nothing wrong with handball, fouls etc as long as you win at all costs.
  • I doubt is Suarez will get much more than a slap on this wrist.
    Remember this tournament is in South America, Uruguay bring thousands of fans to it.
    FIFA will probably use Arsene Wengers standard excuse 'I did not see it'.
    Money more important than justice in the world of football these days!
  • I doubt is Suarez will get much more than a slap on this wrist.
    Remember this tournament is in South America, Uruguay bring thousands of fans to it.
    FIFA will probably use Arsene Wengers standard excuse 'I did not see it'.
    Money more important than justice in the world of football these days!

I believe they will have to act heavily on this. I know it's FIFA we're talking about but the proof is absolute.