Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell claims racism has hindered his progress.

Comments

• Options
    honest question VG

whats the difference mate ?

the fellas I lost my money too were knackers
  • Options

honest question VG

Tinkers are of Irish/Celt decent. They are alot more likely to actually travel. The gypsy's that moved into Bexley and then moved on were tinkers. Usually are a lot rougher.

Romany gypsy's are usually british, and the ones I know are alot more friendly (eastwoods, andersons, Saunders all common Romany names) also more Likely to live in houses or permanent trailer homes rather than caravans.
  • Options
    the group he was with mate were strong Irish, a few fellas from limerick, there was some English guys there but I thought they like me were there to bet
  • Options
    edited September 2013

honest question VG

Were they big knackers, though NLA?
  • Options
    2 were mate very big that's why I took my big knackers there still lost though
  • Options
    Tinkers and romanys have mutual respect but they won't knock about with each other usually.

He is 100% Romany tho

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/nov/09/newsstory.southend
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    was a race mate

3 runs 2 in each run and a run at the end with the winners of each race lasted about hr and half freedie won his race but not the final

maybe they do for those
  • Options
    Ah right yeah probably mate. Bet you saw some right characters there!!!
  • Options
    it was a good laugh to be honest it was a sthend mate who said come and watch Freddie it was just after he joined wolves

could've got me drive and gutters done cheap
  • Options
    Two words Sol, off & f***

Go and join the other victim Paul Elliot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly said:

serious note why the lack of Irish traveller managers?

People may scoff, but the potholes would be a thing of the past
  • Options
    But the gates would go missing as well.
  • Options
    Roy Keane ------ an A1 Knacker of the first order.

as for Sol---------------please---------------stop being a victim ------- or are you a slave like Cashley Cole ?
  • Options

And Gary Neville spent the year previous to being appointed as working to becoming the best football pundit on telly i've personally ever seen. Why does Sol earn his stripes at the lower levels or even non league?? Spoilt modern footballer syndrome i'm afraid.

Gary Neville also has UEFA A and B badges - Sol Campbell currently has no UEFA qualifications.

I've no idea about the interviewing process at the FA - but I'm pleased that they went for the candidate who has spent a few years getting UEFA qualified over someone who has just started the process. What would it say about getting UEFA badges if a candidate without them can walk straight into a senior job leapfrogging those who have spent the last few years studying?

• Options

Romany gypsy's are usually british, and the ones I know are alot more friendly (eastwoods, andersons, Saunders all common Romany names) also more Likely to live in houses or permanent trailer homes rather than caravans.

I know a family of pikeys going by the name of Saunders. Friendly is not a word I would use to describe any of them.

• Options
    I see he's at it again. Nothing like a whiff of scandal to sell a book. Parasite.
  • Options
    Utter, utter nonsense. The bloke talks total crap.
  • Options
    Is he that f**cking thick that he can't see that stupid arse comments like that undo a lot of the work done to combat racism? Prick.
  • Options
    Ridiculous.

He'd have been considered as captain if he was white? Not if, say, he wasn't a whiny, self centred arsehole and not captain material?
  • Options
    I would think it is more to do with R Sol Campbell being a loner and a non communicator, rather than the colour of his skin. It depresses me the way the race card is used so easily. Lots of players in Campbell's career were better Captain material than he was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Campbell once walk out of the stadium at half time while at Arsenal or something similar? Captain material, that.
  • Options
    Argh. Things like this are divisive and set back community relations.

Then again it benefits sol Campbell so I suppose that's what matters.

Look at monkey chants in football. When that happens it is front page news and branded as disgusting, which 100% it is!!! But the fact is it makes the front page, meaning it is newsworthy, meaning it is rare. We live in a country which has a very small minority of racist people. It's not some massively bigoted country like some people love to make out.

Put it this way, if you could be a non white none male non heterosexual, what country would you like to live in most? For me it would be the UK...

That's not to say we are perfect and that more can't be done, but for gods sake there's not prejudice lurking round every corner like the Guardian would have you believe.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/27/sol-campbell-racism-england-manager

Sol Campbell, the former England and Arsenal defender, believes he will have to move abroad to fulfil his ambitions of becoming a coach due to racial prejudices that exist in this country, describing attitudes to black footballers here as "archaic".

Campbell, who won 73 caps for his country, two Premier League titles with Arsenal and at his prime was recognised as being among the finest central defenders in the world, is currently working towards gaining the qualifications required to become a coach or manager across Europe having retired following a 19-year playing career in May 2012. From start to finish, the process is likely to take three years and Campbell believes that upon completion he will have to leave Britain to begin his new career.

"I want to start abroad," said the 39-year-old in an exclusive interview with the Guardian. "There are no opportunities for me here, not until attitudes change anyway. Everyone has to ask themselves why there are not more black managers in this country and why the likes of [former Sheffield United striker] Brian Deane have to go abroad [to Sarpsborg 08 in Norway] to get a chance. I've spoken to other black players who want to coach and they feel the same, that attitudes here are archaic. I hope and pray the environment changes."

Campbell's assertion is backed up by the paucity of black managers currently working in England, with only four – Chris Hughton, Chris Powell, Paul Ince and Chris Kiwomya – employed among the country's 92 professional clubs. There may well be vast improvements should the Professional Footballers Association and Football League's plans to introduce an equivalent of the "Rooney Rule" – which requires NFL teams in America to interview ethnic-minority candidates for head-coach roles – go ahead. However, Campbell may be long gone by then given the anger he feels towards the English Football Association in particular.

"I gave my heart and soul for the national team but the FA were not there for me when I had problems," he said. "Even after that, I still wanted to do something with the England setup, and they said they were interested, but the interest went cold. Suddenly, Gary Neville pops up as assistant manager. It's obvious they want nice people who won't cause them any problems. I put out an olive branch and it got broken, but whatever, I'm ready to move on."

Now to me it appears to be a load of nonsense, as there are apparently 92 professional clubs with 4 black managers, with 3.5% of the UK being black, that would mean that 3.5% of 92 is 3.22, so with 4, I don't think he can necessarily claim that.

Sounds like sour grapes to me, anyway I thought I'd post it before Roy does.

The ethnic minority population of the UK has nothing to do with it. Have a look at the racial breakdown of footballers compared to managers. Saying it's 'sour grapes' ignores a serious point. People don't really, seriously want to talk about racism in football. Just ignore the important issues about discrimination and oppression in this country, probably because it doesn't affect you
  • Options

Huskaris said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/27/sol-campbell-racism-england-manager

Sol Campbell, the former England and Arsenal defender, believes he will have to move abroad to fulfil his ambitions of becoming a coach due to racial prejudices that exist in this country, describing attitudes to black footballers here as "archaic".

Campbell, who won 73 caps for his country, two Premier League titles with Arsenal and at his prime was recognised as being among the finest central defenders in the world, is currently working towards gaining the qualifications required to become a coach or manager across Europe having retired following a 19-year playing career in May 2012. From start to finish, the process is likely to take three years and Campbell believes that upon completion he will have to leave Britain to begin his new career.

"I want to start abroad," said the 39-year-old in an exclusive interview with the Guardian. "There are no opportunities for me here, not until attitudes change anyway. Everyone has to ask themselves why there are not more black managers in this country and why the likes of [former Sheffield United striker] Brian Deane have to go abroad [to Sarpsborg 08 in Norway] to get a chance. I've spoken to other black players who want to coach and they feel the same, that attitudes here are archaic. I hope and pray the environment changes."

Campbell's assertion is backed up by the paucity of black managers currently working in England, with only four – Chris Hughton, Chris Powell, Paul Ince and Chris Kiwomya – employed among the country's 92 professional clubs. There may well be vast improvements should the Professional Footballers Association and Football League's plans to introduce an equivalent of the "Rooney Rule" – which requires NFL teams in America to interview ethnic-minority candidates for head-coach roles – go ahead. However, Campbell may be long gone by then given the anger he feels towards the English Football Association in particular.

"I gave my heart and soul for the national team but the FA were not there for me when I had problems," he said. "Even after that, I still wanted to do something with the England setup, and they said they were interested, but the interest went cold. Suddenly, Gary Neville pops up as assistant manager. It's obvious they want nice people who won't cause them any problems. I put out an olive branch and it got broken, but whatever, I'm ready to move on."

Now to me it appears to be a load of nonsense, as there are apparently 92 professional clubs with 4 black managers, with 3.5% of the UK being black, that would mean that 3.5% of 92 is 3.22, so with 4, I don't think he can necessarily claim that.

The ethnic minority population of the UK has nothing to do with it. Have a look at the racial breakdown of footballers compared to managers. Saying it's 'sour grapes' ignores a serious point. People don't really, seriously want to talk about racism in football. Just ignore the important issues about discrimination and oppression in this country, probably because it doesn't affect you
    Ok you're right. Sol Campbell was and continues to be the victim of the white man keeping him down at every turn.

• Options
    cafctom said:

They have a ridiculous rule in American Football where at least one person of an ethnic minority HAS to be interviewed for a coaching role for every vacancy. John Barnes was advocating this on BBC radio a while back. Personally never heard such a load of tosh in the time I've been following Football.

What's your problem with having an ethnic minority interviewed? It doesn't mean your going to have to give anyone a job. What would you do about the problem of these qualified coaches not getting a chance?
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Forty odd years ago the number of black players in the British professional game could be counted on the fingers of one hand. That has grown in proportion with population growth.

The same will happen with managers. A team only has one manager but eleven players so it will inevitably take longer.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

That's not to say we are perfect and that more can't be done, but for gods sake there's not prejudice lurking round every corner like the Guardian would have you believe.

So,you're a Guardian reader then?
  • Options

cafctom said:

They have a ridiculous rule in American Football where at least one person of an ethnic minority HAS to be interviewed for a coaching role for every vacancy. John Barnes was advocating this on BBC radio a while back. Personally never heard such a load of tosh in the time I've been following Football.

What's your problem with having an ethnic minority interviewed? It doesn't mean your going to have to give anyone a job. What would you do about the problem of these qualified coaches not getting a chance?
    Oh you've gone from me having the suspicion you are ridiculous to confirming it for me.

It's about the quality of the candidates not the colour of their skin. Some people don't care if someone is black or white anymore you know?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Huskaris said:

Forty odd years ago the number of black players in the British professional game could be counted on the fingers of one hand. That has grown in proportion with population growth.

The same will happen with managers. A team only has one manager but eleven players so it will inevitably take longer.
    And this is because the game is racist, right? That's what you are saying. I'd agree with you, that seems to be the only explanation to me. Unless you have a different idea of why time is such a massive factor...
  • Options
    When Sol was moaning about nor being given a chance with coaching he'd nit even started his coaching badges (he has now). Get them first, opportunities might start to.open? Just a thought.