Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sol Campbell claims racism has hindered his progress.

Comments

• Options
    Always remember, he is not playing football now, he is selling a book.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Huskaris said:

That's not to say we are perfect and that more can't be done, but for gods sake there's not prejudice lurking round every corner like the Guardian would have you believe.

So,you're a Guardian reader then?
    Good god no, I don't read a newspaper that tries to strike fear with every turn of the page. I couldn't read the Daily Mail or the Guardian seriously, although I do read both to see what immigrants/white heterosexual males I have to watch out for stealing everything/oppressing everyone today.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    The fact that there was a black captain during his England career sort of disproves what he is saying. I suppose he is looking at Owen and thinking, I am a better captain than him. And I'd make him right if you look at it as leadership being the only criteria - but coaches will often make their best player captain and look to him to lead by example! That is a valid approach too. If I was going on the demeanor of the player on the pitch, I'd say Adams was more of a captain than Campbell.

If I was the England manager, I'd consider not having a captain for all the problems it has caused in the past. I'd say to the players - you are playing for England - you all ought to be f-ing captains!
  • Options
    Hes got such a victim mentality; exactly the sort of mentality that would put him out of the race for captaincy. What a twat.
  • Options
    Sadly comments like those made by Sol Campbell undermine the hard work that many put in to anti racism.
  • Options
    More black coaches will come through in the next 10 years.

Its a generation thing. The last 20/30 years has seen a huge increase in black footballers, and those players will go onto make coaches if they want too.
  • Options
    Exactly VG, I would imagine that racism at board level in football is minimal. People want their club to be successful and that means employing the best candidate. The more candidates there are of a certain skin colour means there will be more managers of that skin colour. If someone is willing to work at it, start lower down in the leagues to prove themselves, and has the ability, they are likely to not encounter resistance.
  • Options
    Campbell (not Naomi) is being interviewed this evening on 5Live ... according to Vic Derbyshire he's also appearing some time 'next week' on her programme .. I for one will NOT be listening
  • Options
    He's been interviewed already, they've been playing it all day. I will call in next week though when he's on live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A numptie on LBC this morning, tried to argue that Ferdinand & Ince are mixed race, so therefore not black enough, and their Captaincy of England didn't count in the counter argument against Campbell's claims.
  • Options
    Charlton legend John Barnes on 5Live today said Campbell was talking rubbish.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

A numptie on LBC this morning, tried to argue that Ferdinand & Ince are mixed race, so therefore not black enough, and their Captaincy of England didn't count in the counter argument against Campbell's claims.

I heard him this morning the fella was a complete bellend

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

DA9 said:

I heard him this morning the fella was a complete bellend

Cracking up laughing on my drive around the M25, absolute balloon of a fella.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Quite simple a bitter man looking for an excuse as to why he wasn't captain ahead of people he probably thought didn't deserve the role.

He said the FA were "racist" on 5live in an interview - well the guy would have not got any caps at all then - let alone 73!

• Options
    So, Venables, Keegan, Errikson, Wilkinson & Mclaren are all racists in Campbell's eyes, I would sue the arse off him.
  • Options
    Very odd interview - rambling, arrogant and delusional.

Called himself the best centre back in the world between 2002 and 2004, and I think as he thought that, he felt he should be a shoe-in for the captaincy. Rather than look at himself as to why the manager might not think the same, he jumps on racism.

It's just him thinking.more of himself than managers did.
  • Options
    He apparently captained England 3 times!! I assume he's forgotten! !!
  • Options
    Which is more than Lampard, who has more than 100 caps, Gary Neville, Wayne Rooney....
  • Options
    there is a supposed football preview/chat programme on 5Live tonight, as there is every Monday .. the sole subject so far is Campbell/Racism .. this is a fucking disgrace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So I am going to buck the trend...........I have no idea whether Sol Cambell would have made a good captain for England, though I am certain that the FA is "institutionally racist".

By that phrase I mean that within the way it works, sees the world , makes decisions etc it has prejudices that it is unaware of. My definition of any "ism" is prejudice plus power. Every person on the planet has a prejudice of one kind of another. Black people are as likely to have prejudice as white people , but are far more likely to be victims of racism ( in the UK at least) . Why? Because broadly speaking the power structures in this country are run by white men , often from an older generation. They have the ability and position to implement their prejudices known and unknown. It follows therefore that if you belong to a group that traditionally does not have its hands on the levers of power you are likely to be discriminated against. The people who hold power in this country want to keep the power and the associated privilege within their own circle generation after generation.

It is not b accident that private school attendees have better access to the top universities and top jobs. Their money gives them a "built in advantage" from the start. The real clever trick has been to convince working class white people that their "enemies" are people of different races and colours. It takes the real attention away from the discriminatory approach from the rich and privileged to maintaining their power and influence and wealth at working peoples expense.

( I know, I know you, didn't come here for a lecture in communism ;-) )
  • Options
    holyjo said:

snip

That may have been true in the 80s and early 90s in banking and other 'powerful' jobs, but we're talking about football (the game not the business) and a guy who has ignored all of the facts due to a victim mentality and is using the racism buzzword to sell his book.

Its complete horseshit, embarrassing for him and detrimental to the game.
  • Options
    More book plugging going on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tn812
  • Options
    Does the BBC get a cut of his sales or something? He's been everywhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Racism has never been so profitable.
  • Options
    “I think something has got to be offered for me to really think about it.

“Politics is very hard work. You have to really commit to things. Some people get into it for the wrong reasons.”

Nice one Sol
  • Options
    Addicted said:

“I think something has got to be offered for me to really think about it.

“Politics is very hard work. You have to really commit to things. Some people get into it for the wrong reasons.”

Nice one Sol

Yeah, you wouldn't want someone who just decided to walk out of the stadium at half-time.