Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Non League latest....

Comments

• That national league will be incredibly tough again. Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield are big clubs at that level.
    Oldham and Scunthorpe are big names at that level and Southend should do better next year.

I want Wrexham to stay down purely because of the money being thrown at it
    Would you object if our chairman was throwing money at it?
  • iaitch said:
    That national league will be incredibly tough again. Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield are big clubs at that level.
    Oldham and Scunthorpe are big names at that level and Southend should do better next year.

I want Wrexham to stay down purely because of the money being thrown at it
    Would you object if our chairman was throwing money at it?
    I would go on Twitter and write a strongly worded post Stating that I would send my season ticket back

Of course I wouldn't but it's slightly different. We are in a league where we have squad caps and ffp rules. If you spend big legally then fine.

wrexham are buying league 1 players and paying 9k a week. Ive heard the from two sources, one reliable and one called ronniemoore! They are in a league where some teams are part time. It's not a fair and level playing field and despite paying the earth, they've failed. In my view, that's good.
  • Name me a semi pro side in the Conference? I don’t know of any.
  • ROTW said:
    Name me a semi pro side in the Conference? I don’t know of any.
    Dorking
  • It's fair to say DW are a unique club. If anybody can make it work they can. They just need to survive long enough to grow into it. 
  • edited May 2022
    ROTW said:
    Name me a semi pro side in the Conference? I don’t know of any.
    Dorking
    Wealdstone and Maidenhead are the other two
  • Are they going to remain semi pro Jimmy?
    Or possibly a combination dependant on their players existing jobs?
    Welling punched well above their weights in the conference as a semi pro side, albeit a few years ago.
    The thing Dorking will struggle with as semi pro, is the travelling to away games.
    Wasn't so bad when games were in the south.
  • I do think it’ll be a hybrid. So many of that team won’t want to give up their day jobs. Cheadle is in recruitment. McManus is an accountant. Briggs is an engineer. Those guys probably earn more than many EFL players! Some of them are roofers and builders so it’s less of an issue. The gaffa doesn’t want to break the team up so I’m guessing he’ll just take the hit of some players not being available on the long distance games. These are the questions I’ll need to be asking in the coming weeks! I do know who he is aiming to sign and if they come off I think it’ll be great business. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    I do think it’ll be a hybrid. So many of that team won’t want to give up their day jobs. Cheadle is in recruitment. McManus is an accountant. Briggs is an engineer. Those guys probably earn more than many EFL players! Some of them are roofers and builders so it’s less of an issue. The gaffa doesn’t want to break the team up so I’m guessing he’ll just take the hit of some players not being available on the long distance games. These are the questions I’ll need to be asking in the coming weeks! I do know who he is aiming to sign and if they come off I think it’ll be great business. 
    I remember Dartford talisman Elliot Bradbrook saying a few years ago that if Dartford got promoted to the NL he would have had to leave, as he wouldn't be able to combine NL football with his day job (a very good job in the City)

• Promotion is a real problem for teams in the NLS/ NLN. In another way, Dulwich would have an existential crisis given that a huge chunk of their revenue comes from the beer they sell pitch-side. If they get promoted that all goes away. I interviewed their DoF and he said there's a fan-led review that might help sort that out. I hope so, because it's a crazy thing to stop clubs from making money when there are so few instances of alcohol causing problems at that level. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    I do think it’ll be a hybrid. So many of that team won’t want to give up their day jobs. Cheadle is in recruitment. McManus is an accountant. Briggs is an engineer. Those guys probably earn more than many EFL players! Some of them are roofers and builders so it’s less of an issue. The gaffa doesn’t want to break the team up so I’m guessing he’ll just take the hit of some players not being available on the long distance games. These are the questions I’ll need to be asking in the coming weeks! I do know who he is aiming to sign and if they come off I think it’ll be great business. 
    I remember Dartford talisman Elliot Bradbrook saying a few years ago that if Dartford got promoted to the NL he would have had to leave, as he wouldn't be able to combine NL football with his day job (a very good job in the City)

The same with Joe Healy at Welling. He could have easily stepped up a league.

• I was going to mention the term hybrid, but just about anything in life that has dual purpose gets labelled with that expression.
    As for Dulwich, couldn’t give a toss when you have 75% out for a Dulwich social and no interest what’s happening on the pitch
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Promotion is a real problem for teams in the NLS/ NLN. In another way, Dulwich would have an existential crisis given that a huge chunk of their revenue comes from the beer they sell pitch-side. If they get promoted that all goes away. I interviewed their DoF and he said there's a fan-led review that might help sort that out. I hope so, because it's a crazy thing to stop clubs from making money when there are so few instances of alcohol causing problems at that level. 
    It's interesting that Dulwich really have made a success of the social side, as other NLS clubs like Dartford and Welling for example don't exploit the ability to sell pitch-side drinks, or presumably aren't allowed to by their licensing?
  • Dartford have a new manager. Alan Dowson, ex Woking. Seems to be be meeting approval on the Dartford forum.
  • Did a good job art Woking, getting them promoted to the NL
  • Nah, he's wearing a jacket.
  • Solihull Moors v Grimsby just kicked off in the National League playoff final.

Grimsby got here by scoring two consecutive 119th minute winners.

• London stadium is such a shit venue for football. Can't believe they're hosting rne play off final there and have removed the stands behind the goal!
  • 6 foot 9 Kyle Hudlin nods home just before half time to put Solihull Moors 1 up
    celebrated with the robot, naturally.
  • Sponsored links:

• BBC on the ball, they're showing Grimsby one up.
  • Grimsby equalised and the following 5 minutes went absolutely crazy. End to end. Set for a good last 20 now
  • Cracking game of footie.
  • Croydon said:
    London stadium is such a shit venue for football. Can't believe they're hosting rne play off final there and have removed the stands behind the goal!
    Getting stadium ready for Monster Jam next week 
  • Macatee looks a good prospect.
  • 119, 119….111 looks like Grimsby have scored their winner a little early today
  • edited June 2022
    Grimsby win 2 1
  • BBC now showing that Solihull won 2-1 aet.
  • iaitch said:
    BBC on the ball, they're showing Grimsby one up.
    Someone at bbc clearly overly enjoyed the jubilee celebrations. Just checked their website and it shows result as 2 1 to solihull even though grimsby won and had the 2 scorers correctly below their name..
  • iaitch said:
    BBC now showing that Solihull won 2-1 aet.
    My sky app was showing the same.