Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England - The Road To Brazil .. .Or not

Comments

• Options

Am curious to know what people think of Wilshere's comments in regards to Januzaj and other non English players representing our National Team in the future.

I agree with him to a certain extent. I don't think Januzaj should even be considered for our national team, he only came here 2 years ago! Although to be fair up until he scored twice at the weekend and then Gary Lineker asked Hodgson the question on MOTD, i'm not sure he even was up for consideration.

However in the case of the kid Berahino at West brom who is from Burundi but came here under political asylum when he was a kid then that is fair enough. We, as a country saved him and his family and he's played for England at all the age groups since U16 so no reason why he shouldn't play for the seniors just because he's not technically english.
  • Options
    Think the media are at their old tricks again before two important games.

The kids played one senior game and now they are talking about him for England!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    The worst second placed team will most likely come from group B (Bulgaria/Denmark).
  • Options

Am curious to know what people think of Wilshere's comments in regards to Januzaj and other non English players representing our National Team in the future.

In terms of my own view I agree with him 100% (yes Welbeck should have played for Ghana and John Barnes should have played for Jamaica yet those players were born in England), International football is becoming a joke enough as it is at the moment without players picking and choosing who they represent.

I also believe and said this the moment Qatar were awarded the World Cup that they'll bring a load of Brazilians etc... players in to play in their leagues (for ridiculous amounts of money) when they've played long enough they'll fast-track their national status so they can play Internationally for Qatar and then be a lot stronger at their own World Cup

I think the rules are the rules, and loopholes such as the Qatari idea mentioned should be closed by the people who make those rules.

I have no idea why you suggest two English players should play for foreign teams, it immediately contradicts your original point.

Alfredo Di Stefano played international football for three different countries back in the 40s and 50s, so it's nothing new.
  • Options
    All about context.
    We'll want people like Zaha playing for us in a few years time. He wasn't born here but grew up here and learn't the game here.
    You can't compare Zaha/Berahino with Januzaj/Arteta
  • Options
    I don't really mind, if you fulfill the citizen criteria and would rather play for England over anyone else then i'd let him play.

Interesting that people are happier to accept Owen Hargreves over Adnan Januzaj. One has lived in the UK since being 16, one didn't live in the UK until he was 26.
  • Options
    Friday is set up for Rooney take control, put in his best England performance for a while, 3 or 4 nil. I'm quite confident.

Good work Callum!
  • Options

I don't really mind, if you fulfill the citizen criteria and would rather play for England over anyone else then i'd let him play.

Interesting that people are happier to accept Owen Hargreves over Adnan Januzaj. One has lived in the UK since being 16, one didn't live in the UK until he was 26.

Hargreves parent/s are English.
    Adban should never get anywhere near the England team. I'd rather fail with a team of Englishman than win with what is just becoming an extension of Club football.
    Other Countries do it....so what, it doesn't mean we have to follow suit does it.
  • Options

Hargreves parent/s are English.
    Adban should never get anywhere near the England team. I'd rather fail with a team of Englishman than win with what is just becoming an extension of Club football.
    Other Countries do it....so what, it doesn't mean we have to follow suit does it.
    But Hargreaves' parents chose to leave England for Canada, and Owen didn't even bother moving to England until he was 26, choosing England over Canada and Wales wasn't exactly a tough choice for him...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    At Wembley - you have to say that with all England's genuine failings - they should be hot favourites to beat both Montenegro and Poland, and I fully expect them to do so. I think the first is the harder game! If these were away games -I would be much less confident!

Having any sort of impact in Brazil when they get there? Well that is another matter.

As our youth coaching is so poor - it is quite a good move to play foreigners in the National Team. glad to see Glenn Hoddle given a role by the FA - if you keep him off the subject of God - he does really know what he is talking about!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In terms of my own view I agree with him 100% (yes Welbeck should have played for Ghana and John Barnes should have played for Jamaica yet those players were born in England), International football is becoming a joke enough as it is at the moment without players picking and choosing who they represent.

I also believe and said this the moment Qatar were awarded the World Cup that they'll bring a load of Brazilians etc... players in to play in their leagues (for ridiculous amounts of money) when they've played long enough they'll fast-track their national status so they can play Internationally for Qatar and then be a lot stronger at their own World Cup

I know Jack W is young , and fair play to him giving a straight answer (which i agree with) if this Janny fella is half decent he could be challenging for Wilshire's place in 5 years time! but to be fair if he's that good , he's not going to hang around another 5 years to play international football.

You can't blame the journalist for asking the question , but the timing of it seems a massive smokescreen , given the importance of the next 2 games , maybe the Fa thought it up so the press would go on about other things , and take the pressure and focus off of the England team to help them relax?
  • Options
    The blokes played one senior game, why is he even being mentioned for England?!!!
  • Options
    Desperation VG?
  • Options
    If they're qualified to play, why not? It's worked very well with the England cricket team and has been a part of our resurgence as a world force.
  • Options

Desperation VG?

could be mate, or the fact the media are trying to ruffle a few feathers before important games like they always do. Seems like they've had their backpages filled over the last couple of days because of Wilshere's reaction to it.

Cant stand our media around the national team.
  • Options

The blokes played one senior game, why is he even being mentioned for England?!!!

This. And he isn't even eligible for another 5 years yet. The chance of him actually picking England is pretty much zero. Honestly don't know how the media have gone to town on this topic.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

This. And he isn't even eligible for another 5 years yet. The chance of him actually picking England is pretty much zero. Honestly don't know how the media have gone to town on this topic.
    Because they can't write about boring transfer sagas again until January I 'spose Tom... Ridiculous isn't it!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I'm pretty sure this all started when Lineker asked Hodgson the question on MOTD. I don't think anyone would have even mentioned it otherwise
  • Options
    I know there has been the odd player who wasn't necessarily English but was still able to play for England in the past. that defender tony dorigo for example. but I have to agree with Wilshire on this one. I would rather have an English born player playing for England. yes we want to win things but I think we should just focus on English players of the future rather than hiring foreign players to do it for us.

Having Greg Dyke coming out with this as a possibility is completely unprofessional and detrimental to what him and his little board have been put in place to sort out. making better English players. They have only just come in and already they have given up and are now looking for outside ways to help the English national team, by hiring non English players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Making better English players has to be a longer term objective so feeding in a few foreigners is probably a shorter term aspect to his master plan. Doubt too many will want to play for England - players tend to choose Wales over England after all!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The problem for Dyke is that we are at least 10 years away and unfortunately we will always be 10 years away until the FA spends its money on bringing in new coaches (most of them foreign in the short term). They need to look at the Spanish and Germans and then decide how they want to go and have somebody like Glenn Hoddle in charge of it all and get all of our kids improving vision, movement and technique before they get to 13 when after that it has been proven to be too late. It will ruffle feathers as our current youth coaching dinosaurs won’t like the thought of winning not being important at youth level, or sides being less than 11 or pitches being proportionate. But I say great, they complain and you then know who they are and throw them out of the game as despite all their best intentions and commitment, they do more harm than good to the British game.

Not easy as most of the people we need to weed out do what they do for nothing and the love of the game. Of course we should try to convert as many as we can, but from my experience I don’t think that would be too easy.

Of course there is an alternative veiw - carry on as we are - working out how a team of 7 year olds can win the cup, finding a great a player who is twice the size of any other -'I can use that', practice sliding tackles, committment is all, being more impressed with the kid who gets his head down and can beat a team of peopl ethan the kid who gets his head up and looks for a pass to make - even if it doesn't come off as his teamates arne't looking for one..... all of that usual British crap!
  • Options
    confident we'll get 2 wins if we play the John Beck way.
  • Options
    Andros Townsend rumoured to be starting.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    England team: 1 Hart 2 Walker 3 Baines 4 Gerrard 5 Cahill 6 Jagielka 7 Townsend 8 Lampard 9 Sturridge 10 Rooney 11 Welbeck
    England subs: 12 Smalling 13 Ruddy 14 Gibbs 15 Jones 16 Carrick 17 Milner 18 Barkley 19 Wilshere 20 Defoe 21 Lambert 22 Forster

Montenegro team: Poleksic, Pavicevic, Jovanovic, Volkov, Kecojevic, Jovetic, Damjanovic, Zverotic, Drincic, Savic, Boskovic
    Montenegro subs: Blazic, Novakovic, Krkotic, Igumanovic, Janjusevic, Kasalica, Vesovic, Vukcevic, Dembasic, Beqiraj

Not anticipated an England game like this since the Italy game in Kiev.
  • Options
    Montenegro missing five first choice players, including both centre backs. 3-1 to England.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Moldova 3-0 San Marino FT
    Ukraine 0-0 Poland HT
  • Options
    cantona is in the itv studio
  • Options
    meanwhile the most creepiest national anthem award goes to Montenegro
  • Options
    Chiles was already doing my nut in after 15 minutes. Tyldesley has managed it after 1.5 minutes.